Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Computer, Which "High End Graphics" MMORPG should I play?

saturn1234saturn1234 Member UncommonPosts: 111

Hey everyone,

I used to have a horrible computer, so I would mainly play WoW.  But I just somewhat recently got an amazing computer and I want to play a game with better graphics.  I tried out everquest 2 trial and age of conan trial and I wanna really get into one of them but I cant decide.

It would mainly be a game to play until the SWTOR or FF14 comes out, which should be a few months.

I got to level 20 in both and enjoyed them about equally.  What do you guys think?  Which has the best world to show off my new system :D

Any other recommendations would be welcome, I feel so free now that i can run like any game lol.

Comments

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

AoC probably has the best graphics, out of the 2 .. and probably more players, its just a question of whether your all that into pvp, but no question about it, AoC is definitely the better looking game, if you prefer PVE though, EQ2 might be more your style, even if the graphics are a bit dated.

• tryce430tryce430 Member Posts: 43

Originally posted by Phry

AoC probably has the best graphics, out of the 2 .. and probably more players, its just a question of whether your all that into pvp, but no question about it, AoC is definitely the better looking game, if you prefer PVE though, EQ2 might be more your style, even if the graphics are a bit dated.

I hear Runescape has some ridiculous graphics. Your computer might be able to handle it now!

• VexeVexe Member Posts: 549

EVE...or AoC.

• gauge2k3gauge2k3 Member Posts: 442

I'm waiting for someone to say EQ2 lol.  The graphics are nice but most of it runs on the cpu, so you probably need to OC to get it to run smoothly.  But yes, looking at just MMO"s, i'm going to go with AoC.

• JestorRodoJestorRodo Member UncommonPosts: 2,642

The One that will that advantage of your high end computer is not out yet . I featured it to an alternative to "Everquest Next" on this months Rodo report -  its Tera ---  http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/category/565 .

Unaware of the Jestor?
    http://about.me/JestorRodo/

Friends enjoy his classic Vblog - https://www.facebook.com/GoodOldReliableNathan

• VooDoo_PapaVooDoo_Papa Member UncommonPosts: 897

Games with the best graphics?  If I had to pick a top 5 it would be somethng like this:

1. Age of Conan (dx 10)

2. Lord of the Rings Online (dx 10)

3. Soul of the Ultimate Nation

4. Aion

5. Everquest 2

• cvettecvette Member UncommonPosts: 82

Give Lord of the Rings a try. Crank the graphics to full and it looks amazing. I spent 20 mins just standing under a huge tree watching the shadows and the grass sway (im a loser).

Anyways, i usually dont care about graphics, playing Ultima Online for 5 years will tell you that but, i can tell you LOTRO will amaze you.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

If you are able to go in and tweak the settings,EQ2 gear can really look good,AOC has better back drop graphics,where as EQ2 pretty much has average graphics for the rest of the world,it is hit and miss in the game.

Both games are about the same,EQ2 has more quests,but AOC has enough ,at least until the 30's anyhow.The difference being that EQ2 has kind of cheapened itself to meet the low standards of Wow,so it is easier to solo than AOC is.I would say instead of paying for something to play,start out by trying the Vanguard trial,your not going to get a better looking game than Vanguard and it boasts the best viewscape/distance of any game,uses a seamless world.It also starts off more Epic than other games,gives you a bit of excitement out of the gate.

Your not going to get anywhere in a couple months in any of these games,so after trying Vanguard,perhaps,try that F2P game i just tried a couple weeks ago,i think it was called Tales of something.They used high end graphics on the gear,much the same as EQ2 does,so you get that and can mess around for free until your preferred game comes out.

As far as LOTR goes,i have wanted to try it myself for years but on both occasions the incredibly slow download made me give up and delete.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• saturn1234saturn1234 Member UncommonPosts: 111

thanks for the input guys.  AoC seems to get more recommendations.  I loved the combat and the graphics were breathtaking, but people seem to say the free trial part (1-20) is the best part. 

I love PvP and PvE equally, and both both about the same amount.  I try my hardest to stay away from free MMORPGs, because I find they are usually only barely worth the price -.- (which usually includes a buggy/virus infested installer lol)

I hadnt thought about LOTRO, I played it back when I had a crap computer so maybe it will be alot more fun now that the game world doesnt look like something on Atari ^^

I'll give the free trial a go for that.

And Vanguard?  I have actually never even heard of that game lol.  *Runs to google*.  Hey if it has a free trial I am down to try whatever.

I know this is an obnoxious question, but which game tends to have a better community.  My friends still have iffy computers and they are pretty happy with their current WoW addiction so I would be pretty much alone until I used my excellent social skills (lol -.-) to make friends in game.

• zeowyrmzeowyrm Member Posts: 746

LOTRO has an excellent community, and if you can run it on full DX10, it will be a gorgeous game.  Also, not many people seem to think of it, DDO is also DX10 compatible.  And both will be getting the DX11 update this year.

• VooDoo_PapaVooDoo_Papa Member UncommonPosts: 897

Originally posted by zeowyrm

LOTRO has an excellent community, and if you can run it on full DX10, it will be a gorgeous game.  Also, not many people seem to think of it, DDO is also DX10 compatible.  And both will be getting the DX11 update this year.

absolutely.  LoTro and EQ2 both have excellent communities.  Neither are going to give you you're pvp fix, which I think is a direct reflection as to why the communities are the way they are.

you really should try Lord of the Rings though

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

Originally posted by zeowyrm

Is this officially confirmed already? I know Turbine said they'd have something awesom for both games this year and I figured it'd be DX11, but would love to be sure. I'm in the market for a new GPU (whole new system actually) myself soon too ;)

• RespitRespit Member Posts: 770

Besides the obvious 2 (EQ2 and AoC) I would say Vanguard, which was mentioned also. Vanguard looks really nice when the graphics are cranked up, really nice. image

Edit: And yes, LotRO is quite nice also.

DarkFall FAQ - Read then Question with Boldness

• GigachipGigachip Member UncommonPosts: 35

I would think AoC would be pretty nice with max graphics, havent tried it yet on my pc though.

btw @ Reizla sig is nice about the trolls, but you forgot DAoC let you play troll also

• saturn1234saturn1234 Member UncommonPosts: 111

alright tried lord of the rings... The world is very beautiful, but the characters are so ugly its rediculous lol.  The armor and races all look really bad I could never get into that game..

Its a shame because the tutorial level is really cool, and the classes seemed kinda interesting.  But the animations were awful too.

Vanguard is next on my list before I make a decision.  I played DDO alot when it was P2P so I know thats pretty great even with the graphics low, so I guess I could play that for free.  I find its hard to get into DDO though because alot of the lower level stuff is just so easy and time consuming, and parties arent as epic.  People arent dedicated to their character yet.  Plus people just plow through as fast as possible.  Once I get past the first few areas I know its great.

Any other recommendations would be nice ^^.  This is alot of fun, I know alot of you probably take it for granted that you can run things on ultra rape your eyes amazing mode but to me this is like seeing everything for the first time lol.  I saved up for a long time to finally be able to run everything out there.

Someone mentioned EVE so I might have to try that also, its definitely a game I have no idea about though, and from what I have read its not very game-like its more like a living world.