Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

First impressions

choujiofkonochoujiofkono Member Posts: 852

Fallen earth first impression...  good game!  I thought from some of the comments and uninspiring screenshots that the graphics were going to be sub par and the gameplay above par.  Well after a few hours in the game I have to say it looks really nice.  The textures are well detailed and lack blurr which is one of the things that bugs me the most in MMOs.  The game looks great and plays smooth on my e6600 + gtx260 with everything maxed at 1920x1200. 

I am impressed by the deep attention to detail and the voice acting especially is very well done.  It's obviously not using the crytec engine but for what they've got I think they really put a lot of thought and hard work into it to make it the best it can be.  I did not find the controls clunky at all with my G13 gamepad.  Hit detection also seems very sharp which was one of the things I was worried about considering it's supremely annoying to me to play a game that doesn't register hits correctly.

So far the biggest thing I can complain about is the text and windows being to small on my high resolution display.  I would like to have more control over the text size and the window sizes and positions. 

I'm getting that old swg mmo feeling where there is vast lands to explore and secrets to unravel.  It's been a while. 

"I'm not cheap I'm incredibly subconsciously financially optimized"
"The worst part of censorship is ------------------"

Comments

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

Font sized for the text in mission logs, character logs etc, can be changed in the options. Font size for chat in channel can be changed directly in that channel settings. Windows can be resized as well pretty much to any size you wish.

REALITY CHECK

• mrbbmanmrbbman Member Posts: 282

So far my first impression have been positive also. I really like the community, it is supportive and friendly. The AP build system from leveling is great. I really enjoy classless systems and being free to put points wherever you want to make a good character that you like to play. However, one issue I have with the system is it needs a way to redistribute points. For a veteran player this is not so much an issue but for a novice that has little idea what skills will be available to them at higher levels it can be quite daunting. Luckily, since most people choose to max out a weapon skill you at least have somewhere to put your points but character planning for new players should not involve third party community sites if it can be helped. Thus, a point redistribution mechanism would be helpful.

The fact you can scavenge and make your own stuff is nice. This is a crafter's heaven. If you like crafting I have seldom seen a system that allows you to dedicate yourself to full time crafting if you like that sort of thing. If you craft you can make anything you train up and few games offer that sort of freedom with crafting.

This game has a real sandbox feel in the vein of SWG but with content that is enjoyable. In fact if the add player owned housing and a point redistribution system for AP this will be a lot like SWG, but with a more realized game system and better storyline. I can also see plenty of opportunity for RP, if that's your thing although I can't say it is my cup of tea exactly. One persistent world is a great idea too.

Overall this is a good game so far in the early stages and it has potential to be an excellent game even with the dated graphics. As long as the devs keep up with installments and improvements this will be a real breath of fresh air in the MMO genre, with many games being WoW clones these days.

True Neutral Half-Elf Ranger Mage
    Follower Of Silvanus

Kings of Chaos! Free to play! Great PvP!

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

I like the game as well although its not enough to pull me away from my commitment to Darkfall. Having said that a few things about the game kind of bug me, although I could learn to get over it.

1. 3rd person view although not required, really is required to play the game well. I dont like 3rd person at all. Its a personal thing.

2. I would perfer that reources and mobs were more spread out evenly with various skill levels. Although you are not restricted in travel, you cant realistically do anything in areas outside of your level which is very much standard MMO forumla that ends up ticking me off.

3. AI is a bit simplistic but I am used to Darkfall which in my mind for an MMO has amazing AI.

Now, if DFO didnt exist I am pretty sure I would be plaing FE.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• Brain-deadBrain-dead Member Posts: 256

I have been playing the trial for several days. I am currently at level 3.

My initial impressions are positive. The game does seem like a Wow/Eve hybrid, which is kind of strange.

Things I like so far:

* Real-world terrain (real life Grand Canyon terrain)

* Realistic (non-cartoony) graphics - I like the detail of the graphics engine as well

* Complex and open-ended Eve-esque  advancement

Things I dont like:

* Limited avatar editing (you cant even pick your own eye color? really?)

* In-Game help sucks big time (though the very friendly community makes up for this a great deal).

At this point it is likely I will subscribe.

• describabledescribable Member UncommonPosts: 407

Originally posted by Brain-dead

I have been playing the trial for several days. I am currently at level 3.

My initial impressions are positive. The game does seem like a Wow/Eve hybrid, which is kind of strange.

Things I like so far:

* Real-world terrain (real life Grand Canyon terrain)

* Realistic (non-cartoony) graphics - I like the detail of the graphics engine as well

* Complex and open-ended Eve-esque  advancement

Things I dont like:

* Limited avatar editing (you cant even pick your own eye color? really?)

* In-Game help sucks big time (though the very friendly community makes up for this a great deal).

At this point it is likely I will subscribe.

weird - i picked my own eye colour, they're green. (is this different for the trial?)

and in game help isn't too bad due to the "help" channel, although if your stuck or having major issues just go to the social look for anyone over level 46, they'll be a GM and ask them for help.

there's always at least 2 GMs around looking at the chats, fixing issues, replying to PMs

"nothing actually matters, we're just slightly evolved monkeys clinging to a dying piece of rock hurtling through space waiting for our eventual death." - Frankie Boyle, Mock The Week

• Brain-deadBrain-dead Member Posts: 256

weird - i picked my own eye colour, they're green. (is this different for the trial?)

Maybe...I got a choice of a couple dozen pre-set eye types. I could not choose color though. Like they had bright green eyes, but they were lizard eyes. You could not pick a type then a color. They are all pre-fab.

Faces were like that as well. Having played Champions I guess I have just been spoiled with having access to details. But it is definitely a step up from most other MMOs.

One thing I forgot to mention in the "like" column is that the world feels big. I like that there are no teleporters or magic shuttles that whisk you around the globe instantly. The last game I played that felt like this was the original Everquest. Its really nice to have that "big world" feeling back.