Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

mmorpg with lots of skills and jobs, and possibly multi-classing?

feinerfeiner Member Posts: 3

Hey, I've been looking through mmos and trying to find one with lots of skills and jobs independant of classes, as well as possibly multi or cross classing, but hopefully ballanced.  I played WOW in open beta and thought it was ok then but hear it has changed drastically.  I played Eternal Lands on my other laptop when I was running linux and it was alright too.

Comments

• retrospecticretrospectic Member UncommonPosts: 1,466

Dungeons and Dragons Online has multi-classing.

• astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

Check out Fallen Earth. There are no classes, but there are limits (skill cap) that don't let you learn everything as far as combat. But you can really pick and choose from a couple pools and make viable hybrid-like characters. You can learn all different crafts depending on money and time.

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

Dungeons and Dragons Online has in my opinion the best character development system. Classes, and you can multiclass. There's feats, combat/noncombat skills, attributes, enhancements, all play a big part in your character. This one beats even all the sandbox skill-based systems.

REALITY CHECK

• feinerfeiner Member Posts: 3

Thanks, I'll look into it.  Is DD online fairly well ballanced in the multi-classing aspect? Or are you allowed to learn all the skills you could ever want and make a super character?  Does it have skills aside from the class based skills as well?

• CzzarreCzzarre Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,742

Darkfall may also be an option. HOwever, the game is substantially different from the traditional MMOs. Expect to have to fight for what you want.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

Classes should go be antiquated completely as a great idea for the early days of RPG and instead we should all move into skill based systems moving forward.

Ironical coming from an 'older gamer' who also feels games over the years have been losing quality but that is a different conversation.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• feinerfeiner Member Posts: 3

Ya, single classes have their place in a game that isn't an mmo, but in something as vast and expansive as an mmo there should be more variety and customizability than 4-8 single classes and the specific skillsets that go with them.  Be it well ballanced classless or multi-class of some form there needs to be more customizabilty in mmos.  I also like non-combat jobs/skills, like mining, smithing, tailoring, etc, so you can make and upgrade your own items and stuff like that.

• Dr.RockDr.Rock Member Posts: 603

Originally posted by feiner

Thanks, I'll look into it.  Is DD online fairly well ballanced in the multi-classing aspect? Or are you allowed to learn all the skills you could ever want and make a super character?  Does it have skills aside from the class based skills as well?

You get skill points based on your class and intelligence stat. You will also get skill point adjustments based on your other stats, items you are wearing etc. You then assign them to a common set of skills (apart from a few that require a class) if a skill is not part of the class then you can still put points in it at 0.5 per point.

So no super characters as there is a natural balance on where you use the points although you can do most skills to a limited extent (some need a single point or a class to unlock).

However skills are only one part, there are stats, feats, spells and enhancements to balance as well.

• angus858angus858 Member UncommonPosts: 381

Ryzom is a skill-based game with no classes.  The skills are grouped into four areas: Fighting, Magic, Harvesting, and Crafting.  Each area is given a roughly equal emphasis in the game.  This makes it nice for those seeking a non-combat career.  In theory you could max every skill in the game but to the best of my knowledge nobody has done so in the seven years which Ryzom has been around.  As a practical matter players tend to specialize in just a few things but you may develop your character in any way you like.

Fallen Earth is another skill-based game with no classes.  But there is a limit on how many skills points you can spend and most players can reach the level cap relatively quickly.  PvP players base their build around one of the three weapon classes: Rifles, Pistols, or Melee.  If you are not interested in competitive pvp your options are much wider.  The pve is quite easy and even very odd builds can survive just fine.  The harvesting and crafting are very nice and since they both award XP you can level your character with very little fighting if you wish.

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

In the free to play stakes there's bounty bay, planeshift you could also try anarchy online, it isn't a multi class game but has plenty of skill options(10 pages of them if i remember) to make your character unique

and one called linkrealms that should be in open beta sometime in the not too distant future

• Vion1xVion1x Member Posts: 188

guildwars sounds about perfect for you, if u want a ton of skills and multi-classing.