Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Name 3 subscriptions games that offer MORE quality than F2P

Comments

• retrospecticretrospectic Member UncommonPosts: 1,466

Originally posted by Jimmy_Scythe

Like it says in the title.

I can only think of one, and that's Eve. Every other sub game plays exactly the same as a F2P.

Sub games can be a little less grindy, but I don't think that really offers you anything more in terms of gameplay.

I'd need some better criteria than just "more quality" to give you a list.  Do you mean smooth polished gameplay, bug fixes, content patches, or expansions?  What are some of the F2P games that you've played that have a quality you want us to rate sub games against?  I need a lot more information than a three sentence opinion post to formulate an answer to your title.

• Jimmy_ScytheJimmy_Scythe Member CommonPosts: 3,586

Originally posted by Shiymmas

How about we flip the topic, and name 3 "F2P" games that offer MORE quality than subscription based games.

I can't, but then I don't delve into F2P too often anymore.  I'm sure there are some, and it'd be interesting to see some opinions from that side of the fence.

'Fraid I can't offer more quality, but equal quality is pretty easy. Off the top of my head:

Runes of Magic - Just like WoW. I mean EXACTLY like WoW

SUN Online - Graphicswise, this game is comparable to AoC

Atlantica Online - There really isn't anything P2P that you can compare this to. I mention this one becuase the turn based combat offers  more variation and entertainment than any P2P game I've experienced.

• TorikTorik Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

Now name:

-3 ice cream flavours that are better than maple walnut

-3 sports that are better than hockey

-3  countries better than Canada

-3 colors better than green

Originally posted by Torik

Now name:

Chocolate chip cookie dough, Butter pecan and Cherry Garcia

Trick question. There are no sports better than hockey

All of the countries that ARE NOT Canada qualify here.

Orange, Maroon and purple is the color that's fun. fun. fun.

• xzyaxxzyax Member Posts: 2,459

Now name:

1. Chocolate Almond

2. Butter Pecan

3. Peanut Butter 'n Chocolate

1. Curling

2. Lacrosse

3. Rugby

1. Norway

2. Sweden

3. Finland

1. Celadon

2. Harlequin

3. Jade

Thanks, that was fun.  image

• Pale_FirePale_Fire Member UncommonPosts: 360

Now name:

- chocolate, chocolate and chocolate

- curling, moose racing and beaver fighting

- Zimbabwe, Iran, Idontknowistan

- Plaid, prison colors, dark green

• jimmyman99jimmyman99 Member UncommonPosts: 3,221

Now name:

BLASPHEMY!

Dude, give it a rest. You are asking for opinions, then you get mad when people present them... the whole post is so ambiguous, anything can be posted here and have a point or a grain of truth. This thread is pointless, should be locked, deleted, shredded, the hardrive of the server that hosted it should be reformatted and burned. The computer that had that hardrive should be melted down, the administrator that maintained that PC should be sent to a remote and uninhabited island. Should I go on?

I am the type of player where I like to do everything and anything from time to time.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holodomor - pre-WW2 genocide.
    imageimage

• JuJutsuJuJutsu Member Posts: 331

Originally posted by jimmyman99

Now name:

BLASPHEMY!

Dude, give it a rest. You are asking for opinions, then you get mad when people present them... the whole post is so ambiguous, anything can be posted here and have a point or a grain of truth. This thread is pointless, should be locked, deleted, shredded, the hardrive of the server that hosted it should be reformatted and burned. The computer that had that hardrive should be melted down, the administrator that maintained that PC should be sent to a remote and uninhabited island. Should I go on?

Don't be so ambiguous and wishy-washy. What do you really think?

• brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092

There are very, very few quality F2P games. Also, DDO F2P part can't be compared to a p2p mmo. To have all that DDO has you have to buy the content or subscribe, which makes it p2p. DDO f2p part is just not enough content. Its still better than 90% of f2p, yes, but not p2p.

So, you're trying to say name 3 subscription models that are as fun as the best f2p models. Because, imo, all p2p games are better than Last Chaos, PW, Requiem, etc. Those are just boring, shallow games.

Is EVE better than DDO? I don't like EVE, because of the snail pace it moves. I can, however, say that it offers far more depth. If it didn't take most of my playing to move around EVE, and the combat was mind-numbing I would be all over it. In fact, I still enjoyed it to some degree despite the fact I only was able to play 50% of the time I was logged in. The other 50% is travel time.

Lots of people think WoW is better than DDO. Again, I have to say WOW has more depth than DDO. DDO is fairly straightforward. You make a DPS or a healer. There is llittle else to do. The only crafting is at end game, and I wouldn't consider it crafting. Just a grind.

Personally, DDO is my favorite, atm. However, I don't think its the best game on the market. It just fits what I want out of a game.

• Hm, define what you mean with "quality". Do you want to say that, in your opinion, F2P games play exactly the same as P2P, in regard to play mechanics, or...?

I don't get the reason for this thread. I played both P2P and F2P I liked.

I don't know about you, but I like to judge games individually and not put a label on it (though if the business model is too greedy, I won't play it). So I can only tell you of my opinions and which games I liked and which I didn't, but you would have to name a few so that I could compare.

Guys, the question that's honestly being asked here is what MORE do you get from your subscription games as opposed to F2P games.

It's an important question because if you aren't getting more for those $15 a month, then you're just getting robbed.

From Personal Experience:

I didn't waste money on MW2 because I was already playing A.V.A Online and he games are close enough in gameplay and production values that $60 wasn't really justified.

I didn't buy UT3 until it came down to $12 and I've come to regret that. With free games like Nexiuz, Warsow and Quake Live available for free, it was really a waste of my cash.

I haven't purchased the XBLA versions of Perfect Dark or Soul Calibur because I already own both games for the Dreamcast and Nintendo 64 AND I still have the consoles to play them on.

I've never purchased a popcap game because I can still play Super Collapse, Bookworm and Bejeweled online for free.

What I'm really asking is why are you paying for something that you can legally get for free anyway? What are the extras that you get for your subscription money?

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671

The "more" that I get from a subscription game vs. f2p is a lower overall cost.  For example, at full rate I pay $180 a year to play my favorite MMO (Include the box @ release and we're at $230).  in contrast I could spend $300 in one month in a F2P like Runes of Magic and then still want/need to spend more to get what I want.  I'd rather pay 180 or 230 and have access to everything than pay 300 and still be left wanting more.

Steam: Neph

• retrospecticretrospectic Member UncommonPosts: 1,466

Guys, the question that's honestly being asked here is what MORE do you get from your subscription games as opposed to F2P games.

It's an important question because if you aren't getting more for those $15 a month, then you're just getting robbed.

From Personal Experience:

I didn't waste money on MW2 because I was already playing A.V.A Online and he games are close enough in gameplay and production values that $60 wasn't really justified.

I didn't buy UT3 until it came down to $12 and I've come to regret that. With free games like Nexiuz, Warsow and Quake Live available for free, it was really a waste of my cash.

I haven't purchased the XBLA versions of Perfect Dark or Soul Calibur because I already own both games for the Dreamcast and Nintendo 64 AND I still have the consoles to play them on.

I've never purchased a popcap game because I can still play Super Collapse, Bookworm and Bejeweled online for free.

What I'm really asking is why are you paying for something that you can legally get for free anyway? What are the extras that you get for your subscription money?

I will give you this counter-point.  The company that provides A.V.A. Online is the same company that provides Gunbound, a game that I've played on and off.  The game is a great deal like Worms.  Now, instead of purchasing any of the Worms games, I decided to download Gunbound because it was free.  I thought the same thing as you, the game is free and close enough.

What I came to regret was that over time gunbound was shuffled around from company to company, all of them sort of ambiguously stating that they were moving, or not even giving the player base any clue.  The company I originally downloaded Gunbound from, Softnyx, still has a website dedicated to gunbound,  but a google search gives me several places to download the game.  This would be fine, but they don't all go to the same registration page, and they also don't give you the same launcher.  The last time I checked, one of them is now defunct but still offers the download.  You are simply given instructions to go to the new site from the launcher.  That means you downloaded the game for nothing.

Had I simply purchased a copy of Worms I could have had online pay for as long as there were other players without the hassle of continually finding the new place the game exists.  Purchasing a game or paying a subscription is like securing the game's future.  If you like a game, you invest your money in hopes that over time the game will fix bugs, launch expansions, provide content patches, stay with one company, and most importantly not disappear after a short time.  If you play a game that's free you are giving them no money to invest in the game.

Like they say, you get what you pay for.

• brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092

My friend, you need to look at your OP again. Not only was this question not there, but you actually have no question marks in your OP.

To answer this question, which oddly lacks a question mark(teasing you), you get depth. You also get a sense of security that your achievements were not gained by real money, and you can achieve the same results as everyone else. Although, I don't mind a limited number of RMT games, I do mind ones that give boost to payers for real cash(speed mount is an advantage over others).

Two RMT games I don't mind are EQ and DDO. They are both pretty much subscription based that offer very minor items in the shop. In most cases, those items can be obtained through play.

• VypreVypre Member Posts: 180

EVE, WoW, Aion.

Striving for Silver Stars since Gold is so effeminate.

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

Anarchy Online, Dungeons & Dragons Online, Runescape...

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• boognish75boognish75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,540

its not the quality but the money  one spends in a f2p vs pay2p-lay, for most p2p games you gotta buy yer way out of lvl 10 and up most likely spending 3 times more per month than a monthly sub game of the same quality/

playing eq2 and two worlds

• ElirionElirion Member Posts: 160

Like it says in the title.

I can only think of one, and that's Eve. Every other sub game plays exactly the same as a F2P.

Sub games can be a little less grindy, but I don't think that really offers you anything more in terms of gameplay.

WOW, AoC, FFXI, Aion, LOTRO, EQII, EVE, Fallen Earth, Vanguard, etc etc

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Hmm, well upon reading the post title....I immediately thought, "Well damn, that's easy...name any three p2p  MMOs?"  I would imagine most people that frequent these forums can name three random p2p MMOs.

Of course...this is just my opinion (can't believe any of us still have to actually include that disclaimer in our posts), but yeah....just like the OP's opinion is pretty obviously that a lot of f2p games have more QUALITY than p2ps.  I don't agree with that, but...to each their own.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

It's an important question because if you aren't getting more for those $15 a month, then you're just getting robbed........

OK, this is an entirely different point from quality and one that's easier to answer.

First, most P2P's are easier to get installed and create a new account. Several free to plays that I tried (ROM, Perfect World) had very convoluted process to download the clients and set up my accounts. 

2nd, Content, I've not played as many P2W games as you, but ROM I did try and IMO its exactly like WOW, minus the flying mounts, deep, engrossing raid encounters, arena based combat, PVP scenarios, etc etc. So no, its really a scaled back version of WOW, but it doesn't come close to matching WOW's features.

3rd.  Grind, or lack thereof.  Most P2W games are all about the grind, and selling you stuff in the item shop to reduce said grind, therefore it really skews the design of the gameplay hence most P2W's all play exactly the same and I find it to be more tediious than typically found in most P2P's (Aion being an exception)

4th Since most P2W games have a cash shop, I find it creates horrible imbalances between those who pay for gear vs those who refuse to especially with regards to PVP (worse than the normal PVP imbalances most MMO's struggle with)

5th Customer support - Do P2W's even have customer support, because I've tried to contact them with both Perfect World and ROM and it was either non-existent, and when I did get one response, (in ROM) it was actually rude and condesending.  while people malign P2P's as well, I've gotten great support from Blizzard & Mythic in the past, and decent support from NCSoft, CCP, and a couple of others.

I'm sure I can think of a few more but you get the point, overall I feel most P2P's exceed the P2W's, however as I noted, I haven't tried many of the games on your list, esp the newer ones.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ShastraShastra Member Posts: 1,061

EQ2, EVE, Fallen Earth.

There are many others but you asked only for three ;)

• SweetZoidSweetZoid Member Posts: 437

Everquest,Everquest2,Vanguard saga of heroes,CoH,AoC,WoW,Aion,WAR,EWE,Lineage 2,Lineage 1.

• DecemvirusDecemvirus Member Posts: 52

Free to Play games mostly feel cheap, unpolished and empty. Excluding DoD (which started as a P2P game), I've never played a F2P game that could hold me for more than an hour or so. Also, free to play hides its "payed" status on the advantages it gives to players that pay for them, and on many games those kinds of advantages are mostly necessary for your character development. I'd rather pay  monthly for a HONEST game, to upkeep its servers, updates, patches and development, in which players all live within the same rules and can't get unfair advantages, than join a cheap "F2P" enviroment, with pure grind, no questing, no story, that backs the bottomline of it all on "Being Free", but still charges for unfair crappy advantages in-game... Thats purely laughable...

Gamewise? Lotro, EVE, Darkfall, WoW, AoC, on and on........

Im pretty sure those all provide better stuff than your perfect world enviroment!

"You know, this place makes me wonder. Which would be worse, to live as a monster or to die as a good man?"

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

before aika ,i could have named some name but since aika,i got to say i would have a hard time finding a better fun factor

at start itfeel like most f2p !at start!once you reach the rift 1oh men it change into another beast entirelly they made things simple but very fun!

• jimmyman99jimmyman99 Member UncommonPosts: 3,221

Originally posted by JuJutsu

Originally posted by jimmyman99

Now name:

BLASPHEMY!

Don't be so ambiguous and wishy-washy. What do you really think?

I think most F2P games suck. GW is the only F2P game that I liked, the rest are point-click-endless-grinding garbage.

I am the type of player where I like to do everything and anything from time to time.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holodomor - pre-WW2 genocide.
    imageimage