Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Name 3 subscriptions games that offer MORE quality than F2P

Jimmy_ScytheJimmy_Scythe Member CommonPosts: 3,586

Like it says in the title.

I can only think of one, and that's Eve. Every other sub game plays exactly the same as a F2P.

Sub games can be a little less grindy, but I don't think that really offers you anything more in terms of gameplay.

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

Originally posted by Jimmy_Scythe

I can only think of one, and that's Eve. Every other sub game plays exactly the same as a F2P.

Sub games can be a little less grindy, but I don't think that really offers you anything more in terms of gameplay.

I don't really know of many f2p's that don't feel cheap.

DDO and Allod's feel like they have more quality (DDO starting out as a full p2p).

But I've never ever played a f2p that didn't feel cheap. Cheap textures, the same sounds when walking over grass or concrete, clunky feeling.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • voiicuvoiicu Member Posts: 37

Hmmm really?

Lets remember in order to have as good an experience as a subscription based game, a person playing a F2P title will need to purchase alot of things. So with that caveat i will list several subscription based MMOs.

WoW, EQ1&2,DAoC,Ryzom,SWG,Planetside,Aion,Warhammer,LoTRO,DFO,GA,EvE.........  i can go on and on.

You are leaving out the fact that F2P games hold back alot in order for the player to purchase things like say ... Mounts, or lets see potions to keep ressurection sickness at bay. Some go as far as making you buy armor and weapons. Some make you purchase ammo. 

Free 2 Play is a lie. Why would any company even consider making a game Free 2 Play ? Fact is they dont, and they will amke money hand over fist from players pure vanity in a virtual world. Not that, that is a bad thing, it just shows how content is limited to the buyer ala' carte.

• ChrisMatternChrisMattern Member Posts: 1,478

Final Fantasy XI, WoW, EvE. Jeez, I didn't even have to think.

• AcvivmAcvivm Member UncommonPosts: 323

Posted by Jimmy_Scythe on 3/31/10 at 1:15:22 PM

I can only think of one, and that's Eve.Your opinon which you are entitled too.

Every other sub game plays exactly the same as a F2P. Once again your opinion.

Sub games can be a little less grindy, but I don't think that really offers you anything more in terms of gameplay. Thats great but yet another opinion.

So another opinion thread...seems to be alot of these lately...

But in answer to your question Name 3 subscription games that offer MORE quality than F2P;  WoW, AoC and EQ2 in my opinion have more quality than F2P games.

HEAVEN OR HELL
    Duel 1
    Lets ROCK!

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

The title of your post asks about Quality not quantity or game play mechanics.But the body of your post is all about everything but quality.You can easily say all MMORPGs share common charactersitics and mechanics that define the genre but that has notihng to do to the quality of each game individually nor the quantity of content each offers.I've palyed plenty of sub and f2p games and do not find that they all paly the same and there are very much differences in QUALITY of content and overall polish between different games in both categories let alone against each other.

Maybe try asking a question with some structure and logic rather than using broad stroeks and conflicting language.

• Jimmy_ScytheJimmy_Scythe Member CommonPosts: 3,586

Originally posted by Acvivm

Sub games can be a little less grindy, but I don't think that really offers you anything more in terms of gameplay. Thats great but yet another opinion.

But in answer to your question Name 3 subscription games that offer MORE quality than F2P;  WoW, AoC and EQ2 in my opinion have more quality than F2P games.

yeah, how dare I express my opinion in public.....

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

The only f2p game I've tried that has been decent was DDO, and it's because it wasn't made with a f2p budget/mindset.

All f2p games that I've tried are terrible and you can tell they were made with every cent spared that could be. Item stores also take so much away from a game it's ridiculous.

So how about to answer the question..... just about every major p2p game that has been released. 

• AlivadaAlivada Member Posts: 86

WoW, AoC, Lotro, CoX, Runescape, EVE, real life.

DDO is the only good F2P game.

• TheHatterTheHatter Member Posts: 2,547

There is expressing your opinion, then there is challenging people.

But really, this isn't a matter of opinion. Vanguard, Fallen Earth, Darkfall (just to break away from what everyone else has said) have far more depth than any F2P game I've ever played..... and I've played ALOT. 

• dirtyjoe78dirtyjoe78 Member Posts: 400

The thing about F2P that takes away from the quality feel for me is rented crap...like a mount for instance you can rent one for a month for x amount of money, bag space...really i have a backpack but i cant use all the available space all the time.  Just 2 small examples of things that cheapen the experience of F2P for me i could go on but there really is no point the way that F2P is implemented feels cheap to me. 

• pojungpojung Member Posts: 810

Quality of developper-gamer relationship- EVE.

Quality of community- FFXI.

Quality of sheer content- WoW.

Quality of battle system- AoC.

Quality of graphics- Aion.

Quality of crafting- EQ2.

... what's the point to this thread?

That is exactly right, and we're not saying NO to save WoW, because it is already a lost cause. We are saying NO to dissuade the next group of greedy suits who decide to emulate Blizzard and Cryptic, etc.
    We can prevent some of the future games from spewing this crap, but the sooner we start saying no, the better the results will be.
    So - Stand up, pull up your pants, and walk away.
    - MMO_Doubter

Posted by Jimmy_Scythe on 3/31/10 at 1:33:53 PM

I can only think of one, and that's Eve.Your opinion which you are entitled too.

I never had a problem with you expressing your opinion, but to say "Every other sub game plays exactly the same as a F2P" which sounds a lot like you are stating a fact not an opinion, hence I answered "Once again your opinion". If I was wrong to think that you were making opinions into facts, then I apologize for inferring that from the infomation provided.

HEAVEN OR HELL
    Duel 1
    Lets ROCK!

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

Originally posted by pojung

Quality of developper-gamer relationship- EVE.

Quality of community- FFXI.

Quality of sheer content- WoW.

Quality of battle system- AoC.

Quality of graphics- Aion.

Quality of crafting- EQ2.

... what's the point to this thread?

Pojungs last sentance can't really say it any better. Op do you live in some kind of reverse world?

• AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

The original post says name 3 games that offer more "quality" than the F2P offerings. There are many P2P games that exceed these titles in terms of quality... They may play much the same, but that was not the original question.

• Jimmy_ScytheJimmy_Scythe Member CommonPosts: 3,586

I can only think of one, and that's Eve.Your opinion which you are entitled too.

I never had a problem with you expressing your opinion, but to say "Every other sub game plays exactly the same as a F2P" which sounds a lot like you are stating a fact not an opinion, hence I answered "Once again your opinion". If I was wrong to think that you were making opinions into facts, then I apologize for inferring that from the infomation provided.

click monster, watch fight, spam some buttons when your health gets low, loot, level, rinse, repeat.....

• voiicuvoiicu Member Posts: 37

click monster, watch fight, spam some buttons when your health gets low, loot, level, rinse, repeat.....

Yep you just described 99% of all Free to Play games. So yeah quality goes to the Subs in almost every case.

On a side note, why do you care so much that other don't play F2P trash games ? Do you feel inferior in some way because you cant afford a sub ?

Its like your trying to get those of us who prefer a sub to change to F2P games. Why does that bother you if we think F2P games suck, and do not offer the same QUALITY as a sub game?

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Well, yeah, all MMO games pretty much have this in common, but your question was, which P2P's have better quality (maybe you need to define what you mean with that term) and people can easily name off quite a few depending on the criteria you measure by.

If you were saying how many have different gameplay mechanics then I suppose you might find out there's actually none, not even EVE because in the end, that's all it does too, just sometimes the monsters are the players.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• PryettaPryetta Member UncommonPosts: 260

Originally posted by voiicu

eYep you just described 99% of all Free to Play games. So yeah quality goes to the Subs in almost every case.

No, he described 99% of ALL games, not just F2P, P2P are the same exact way and I can name 3 off the top of my head WoW, Aion, and WAR.

• AganazerAganazer Member Posts: 1,319

F2P?! Don't you mean P2W?

"BUY NOW! BUY NOW! BUY NOW! BUY NOW! BUY NOW!" <=== is what it feels like to play most of these games. I could care less about the quality. Its the *experience* that is ruined with that pay model.

Posted by Jimmy_Scythe on 3/31/10 at 2:01:35 PM

Well I guess I could make out with the monster and ask it for its number (yea right lol) or invite it over for afternoon tea...nah f*&k it /unsheathe /cut /decapitate dead...works for me.

HEAVEN OR HELL
    Duel 1
    Lets ROCK!

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,079

1) World of Warcraft.

2) Lord of the Rings Online

3) Everquest 1-2

4) Age of Conan (now)

I could go on, but you get my drift. Most P2P's are better quality than F2P. Every F2P game I have tried has felt clunky and cheap. Why? Because they are. They're not designed to make a lot of money, that way if it flops it's of little expense to the company. They are normally designed cheaply with the outlets available to make money if for some reason the game does take off.

DDO is F2P, and I feel that is the best one out there but it was P2P for a very long time.

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203

I've never met a F2P other than Guild Wars, which I only really dabble in, that was even worth the time spent downloading, let alone actually playing.  They have all been extremely disappointing.

• ShiymmasShiymmas Member UncommonPosts: 587

How about we flip the topic, and name 3 "F2P" games that offer MORE quality than subscription based games.

I can't, but then I don't delve into F2P too often anymore.  I'm sure there are some, and it'd be interesting to see some opinions from that side of the fence.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
    George Bernard Shaw

“What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.”
    Oscar Wilde

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

FE, WoW, LOTRO, DF, EVE, AoC...

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• PryettaPryetta Member UncommonPosts: 260

Originally posted by Shiymmas

How about we flip the topic, and name 3 "F2P" games that offer MORE quality than subscription based games.

I can't, but then I don't delve into F2P too often anymore.  I'm sure there are some, and it'd be interesting to see some opinions from that side of the fence.

In my OPINION. I happen to really like Lunia Online, Atlantica Online, Allods Online, Aika Online, Dungeons and Dragons Online....