Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GTS 250 in sli in comparison to a GTX 275 or 285

cichy1012cichy1012 Member UncommonPosts: 345

Cant afford a 350-450 dollar card so I was wondering if any graphics enthusiasts out there thing that

2 of these from New Egg in SLI would be on par with aGTC 275 or 285

$108.00 per card

VCGGTS2501XPB GeForce GTS 250 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card - Retail

Brand

PNY

Model

VCGGTS2501XPB

Interface

Interface

PCI Express 2.0 x16

Chipset

Chipset Manufacturer

NVIDIA

GPU

GeForce GTS 250

Core Clock

738MHz

Shader Clock

1836MHz

Stream Processors

Memory

Effective Memory Clock

2200MHz

Memory Size

1GB

Memory Interface

256-bit

Memory Type

GDDR3

3D API

DirectX

DirectX 10

OpenGL

OpenGL 2.1

Ports

DVI

2 x DVI

Comments

• cichy1012cichy1012 Member UncommonPosts: 345

anyone?

• TheHatterTheHatter Member Posts: 2,547

SLI is for cheap upgrades or if you're rich, 2 top of the line cards (or close to it). SLI is not a RAID type system where a bunch of inexpensive cards outperform one better card. For one: they don't and for two: not every game supports SLI.

Just get the best card you can afford.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Not for gaming purposes and i would be VERY skeptical of the very few games that actually have SLI support.IMO i would not expect any more than a 15 % improvement in gaming,so i'll let you do the math to see if the 15% equates to the same % in cost effectiveness.

BTW that 15% is only in realtion to the SLI cards,that is not a 15% improvement over the better cards that are already maybe 25% better than one of those SLI cards.SO in essence a 10% loss,only in theory of course,actual numbers will vary depending on those few games that CLAIM to have SLI support.

Best thing to do is try it for your first time,but you need a friend to loan you a better card so you can make your own accurate comparisions.This is what i have done over the years,trial and error and i have found hardware specs always lie,they are just hype.So after you find the TRUE difference you will know for future reference how much to expect and how much is just bs hype.

ON Nvidia releasing their latest driver,they claim improvements of 13-30% using Sli,but again that is improvements using the same cards,that is not going to realistically get you on even terms with a better card.This was also only a few selected games tha twere targeted by the drivers,otherwise it may very well be a zero increase.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

I would just wait a few weeks until the new nvidia cards are being sold and see what prices do then.

You can probably pick up a single card that will outperform the 250's in sli for fairly cheap if you give it a bit of time.  The ATI cards are pretty cheap already and I bet both Nvidia and certain ATI cards will decrease in price with Nvidia launching its DX11 cards next month.

But to answer the question. No i would not bother to SLI the 250 you have. The gains would be minimal I think vs if you were SLI or Crossfiring top of the line cards. 

2 low end cards dont = 1 high end.

• KyntorKyntor Member Posts: 280

I agree with the others, forget the SLI.  If you are looking for cards around the NVIDIA 275, 280, and 285 in performance, I would suggest the Radeon HD 5770, 4890, or 5850.  These cards go for $150-$320.  If you can wait a couple months, the 5850 will probaby drop to $220-$250.

"Those who dislike things based only on the fact that they are popular are just as shallow and superficial as those who only like them for the same reason."

• Moya.baMoya.ba Member Posts: 48

i agree as well, only exception would be you are using a resolution above 1920x1200 and can't live with AA 8x and lower. That's where sli/crossfire performs pretty good.

For "normal" usage single cards definitely bring the most bang/buck. + sli and crossfire may suffer from microlags.

Sorry for my english ;)

• neonakaneonaka Member UncommonPosts: 779

Go get 2 9800GTX + from new egg for like 130.00 each.

250's are garbage, the 9800GTX's are better than those. 

BUT

If you gonna get 2 9800GTX+ for SLi might as well just get 1 265GTX.

It is a toss up, I run 2 9800GTX + in one machine I have and it runs everything maxed and great.

I run a 265GTX in another and it runs everything maxed and great. They both are about equal as far as gaming goes. Up to you I guess.

I would advise against the 250's they aren't that great.

• noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170

Originally posted by neonaka
    Go get 2 9800GTX + from new egg for like 130.00 each.
    250's are garbage, the 9800GTX's are better than those. 
    BUT
    If you gonna get 2 9800GTX+ for SLi might as well just get 1 265GTX.
    It is a toss up, I run 2 9800GTX + in one machine I have and it runs everything maxed and great.
    I run a 265GTX in another and it runs everything maxed and great. They both are about equal as far as gaming goes. Up to you I guess.

I would advise against the 250's they aren't that great.

But.. you realize.. the GTS 250 is the exact identical card as the 9800GTX+? When the card was first coming out some sites just reposted the 9800GTX+ numbers.. because it's just a rebranded 9800GTX+.

So anyway, to the OP.. GTS 250 in SLI is pretty fast but it's safer to buy a single graphics card, especially for MMO's because many MMO's aren't really enhanced for SLI well in drivers (they mostly focus on games that are used in benches when they tweak drivers for this stuff)

• neonakaneonaka Member UncommonPosts: 779

512MB GTS 250

Model

Brand

EVGA

Model

512-P3-1140-TR

Interface

Interface

PCI Express 2.0 x16

Chipset

Chipset Manufacturer

NVIDIA

GPU

GeForce GTS 250

Core Clock

675MHz

Shader Clock

1620MHz

Stream Processors

Memory

Effective Memory Clock

1800MHz

Memory Size

512MB

Memory Interface

256-bit

Memory Type

DDR3

3D API

DirectX

DirectX 10

Ports

HDMI

1 x HDMI

D-SUB

1 x D-SUB

DVI

1 x DVI

General

Max Resolution

2560 x 1600

SLI Support

SLI Ready

Cooler

With Fan

Power Connector

6 Pin

Dual-Link DVI Supported

Yes

HDCP Ready

Yes

Dimensions

4.376"H x 9.5"L

VS

512MB 9800GTX+

Model

Brand

EVGA

Model

512-P3-N871-AR

Interface

Interface

PCI Express 2.0 x16

Chipset

Chipset Manufacturer

NVIDIA

GPU

GeForce 9800 GTX+

Core Clock

738MHz

Shader Clock

1836MHz

Stream Processors

Memory

Effective Memory Clock

2200MHz

Memory Size

512MB

Memory Interface

256-bit

Memory Type

DDR3

3D API

DirectX

DirectX 10

OpenGL

OpenGL 3.1

Ports

DVI

2 x DVI

TV-Out

HDTV / S-Video Out

General

RAMDAC

400 MHz

Max Resolution

2560 x 1600

RoHS Compliant

Yes

SLI Support

3-Way SLI

Cooler

With Fan

System Requirements

Minimum of a 450 Watt power supply.

(Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 24 Amp Amps.)

Minimum 550 Watt for SLI mode system.

(Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 30 Amp Amps.)

Power Connector

6 Pin

Dual-Link DVI Supported

Yes

HDCP Ready

Yes

Dimensions

Height: 4.376 in - 111.15 mm

Length: 10.5 in - 266.7 mm

Packaging

Package Contents

512-P3-N871-AR

Driver Disk

User Manual

Power Cable

DVI to VGA/D-sub Adapter

Manufacturer Warranty

Parts

Lifetime limited

Labor

Lifetime limited

It is pretty safe to say the 9800GTX+ 512 is better than the 250GTS 512.

Now if you are talking about the 250GTS 1GB card, I would say it is equal to a 9800GTX+, the only Difference is the Memory Size of 512 vs 1GB but they have the exact same specs other than that. At a price difference of $30.00 more than a 9800GTX+. Though the 9800GTX+ does beat the 1GB version 250GTS in Pixel Shaders. But yeah....

Model

Brand

EVGA

Model

01G-P3-1158-TR

Interface

Interface

PCI Express 2.0 x16

Chipset

Chipset Manufacturer

NVIDIA

GPU

GeForce GTS 250

Core Clock

738MHz

Shader Clock

1782MHz

Stream Processors

Memory

Effective Memory Clock

2200MHz

Memory Size

1GB

Memory Interface

256-bit

Memory Type

DDR3

3D API

DirectX

DirectX 10

OpenGL

OpenGL 3.0

Ports

DVI

2 x DVI

TV-Out

HDTV / S-Video Out

General

RAMDAC

400 MHz

Max Resolution

2560 x 1600

SLI Support

Yes, 3-Way

Cooler

With Fan

Power Connector

6 Pin

Dual-Link DVI Supported

Yes

HDCP Ready

Yes
  • ZamenZamen Member Posts: 12

Some bench marks from test of the 250 Sli cards and higher end cards. Weather its supported or not buy the game when Sli is active it still uses the cards to your advantage by controling how the processes/what processes are being ran on each card.

http://www.guruht.com/2010/01/geforce-gts-250-sli-vs-gtx-285-vs.html

In the end the answer to your question is yes it is a good build for a cheap workaround of having to buy a 450$ card. But i would only go with the 250 gt or gts cards with 1 gig of ram on each.

• AxeionAxeion Member UncommonPosts: 418

I run in sli 2 260gtx bfg cards.Some games you have to turn of the sli ( easy to do) like the witcher which makes lights shine threw walls an people.Some games tho its noticable to me when i change drivers an i dont see any improvment but a downgrade .Then i remember to go back in an turn sli on.With sli off in coh i notice a difrence than when its on. even tho its not a sli suported game.

If i rember right 2 260gtx in sli is about the same as a 275gtx.As pointed out a 250 isnt as good as a 9800 overall.Tho if nothing else the extra card can help with physixs .Sli can help but it realy doesnt  make geting two cheeper cards = to a more expensive card viable.YOu will always have more coin in the two cheeper cards that the more expensive card your tryign to emulate its performance.

Also consider to your power suply needs to be beefy.what can run one card may not always run two.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." — Robert E. Howard, The Tower of the Elephant (1933)

• AchillezAchillez Member UncommonPosts: 105

I have that very card and it runs great. I haven't ran into a game I can't max yet and for the price point, its perfect. The performance increase in SLI would be negligable though, so I wouldn't bother. My recommendation for the price to performance argument would be a GTX 260 OCX from BFG. Blows the GTS 250 and GTX9800+ out of the water in benchmarks and is around the $200 price point.

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10010699&prodlist=froogle

As for the GTS 250 vs GTX9800+, they are the same card. They perform the exact same. Only difference is the 1gb version of the 250 performs better at higher resolutions where the 9800 runs out of memory to use. Other than that, they are basically, benchmark for benchmark, the same card. So aruging one way or another is pointless, like saying the color green is better than the color green...

• cichy1012cichy1012 Member UncommonPosts: 345

would this be better than 2 x 250 gts in sli.The ones I listed.

GTX 275

Model

Brand

BFG Tech

Model

BFGEGTX275896OCE

Interface

Interface

PCI Express 2.0 x16

Chipset

Chipset Manufacturer

NVIDIA

GPU

GeForce GTX 275

Core Clock

648MHz (vs. 633MHz standard)

Shader Clock

1440MHz (vs. 1404MHz standard)

Stream Processors

240 Processor Cores

Memory

Effective Memory Clock

2304MHz (vs. 2268MHz standard)

Memory Size

896MB

Memory Interface

448-bit

Memory Type

GDDR3

3D API

DirectX

DirectX 10

OpenGL

OpenGL 2.1

Ports

DVI

2 x DVI

General

RAMDAC

400 MHz

Max Resolution

2560 x 1600

SLI Support

3-Way SLI

Cooler

With Fan

System Requirements

575W PCI Express-compliant system power supply with a combined 12V current rating of 42A or more

Dual-Link DVI Supported

Yes

HDCP Ready

Yes

Manufacturer Warranty

Parts

Lifetime limited

Labor

Lifetime limited

Yes, by far. You'll want to look at the processing cores and it has much more than a 250. Thats where your horsepower comes from. The only thing you'll need to check is if you've got enough wattage in your PSU and your good.

• KyntorKyntor Member Posts: 280

The NVIDIA GTX 275 is a good card, but you could probably spend $20 or so more and get a Radeon HD 5850.  NVIDIA cards are currently overpriced and a generation behind.

"Those who dislike things based only on the fact that they are popular are just as shallow and superficial as those who only like them for the same reason."

Not to start an ATI vs Nvidia argument but I personally have had nothing but problems with the Catalyst drivers. Each persons experience is different but I believe Nvidia's driver support is a bit better. Just my opinion though so take with a grain of salt.

• dfandfan Member Posts: 362

My personal experience is totally opposite.

• BarbarbarBarbarbar Member UncommonPosts: 271

Seems people here grossly underestimate Sli or simply dont know what they are talking about. As you can see here on Toms Hardware, one of the nets most well established hardware testing sites; any time you turn the juice up Sli and crossfire take the first many winning spots.

F.E.A.R. 2

Fraps/Mission Ruin (1920x1200, 4AA, 8AF, Maximum Quality)

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/gaming-graphics-cards-charts-2009-high-quality/F.E.A.R.-2,1814.html

9800 GTX+ in Sli performs best, 250 and 9800 gtx in Sli are the same and runs as welll as a single 4790, a better card than 275. All three outpaces a 285 which kinda makes a clear point.

Far Cry 2

Benchmark/Ranch Small (1920x1200, 4AA, 8AF, Very High Quality)

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/gaming-graphics-cards-charts-2009-high-quality/Far-Cry-2,1810.html

250 in sli gives you 20 better fps than a single 275...

Left4Dead

TH-Timedemo (1920x1200, 8AA, 16AF, Very High Quality)

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/gaming-graphics-cards-charts-2009-high-quality/Left4Dead,1818.html

Same as the first one, 9800 gtx+ takes the lead, 9800 gtx and 250 are the same. All three Sli setups outperform the 1792 mb version of the 275.

In my mind there really is no contest, I actually got 9800 GTX+ in Sli and know their strengths, I don't need to upgrade to anything atm. Arguing Dx 11 right now is for me moot. Those people buying it are dressing up to go stand in line. When the store opens they will very likely buy a new dressup to go inside and shop with.

Atm playing DoW2 multiplayer on ultrahigh settings in 1900x1200 resolution. Pretty sure a 275 alone would get me kicked for lagging.