Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The excitement of your first solo kill

ZholzZholz Member Posts: 29

THIS IS WHY I LOVE THE GRIND!

I have spent the last month and a half living in a city surrounded by some of the most hardcore allies and attackers on the server. Of course there are a lot of people in the same boat as me but I have been no stranger to getting owned again and again. I have spent countless encounters where I am basically just giving away loot to my attackers but then the unthinkable happened...

I was attacked by a evil little murdering scum bag and I stood my ground to fight. This was one of those times when I have spent so much time "knowing that I can't win" but decided to die honorably rather then dying with an arrow in my back.

After an amazing juggling match of Bow, melee, heals and even the odd debuff attempt I delivered the killing blow. Even after I saw the message on my screen and his crying body on the ground I couldn't believe that I had won. This was my first solo PvP kill ever in darkfall, sure I have killed a bunch in zergs and other lopsided fights but this was 1v1.

After all the time and work I put into skilling up my character I have never felt so good about killing someone. in fact my adrenaline was pumping so much from the excitement I struggled to find the "X" key on my keyboard to gank/finish him off. hehe

Anyways, I hope everyone gets to a point where they can experience this feeling because nothing is better this.

Comments

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

Originally posted by Zholz

I have spent the last month and a half living in a city surrounded by some of the most hardcore allies and attackers on the server. Of course there are a lot of people in the same boat as me but I have been no stranger to getting owned again and again. I have spent countless encounters where I am basically just giving away loot to my attackers but then the unthinkable happened...

I was attacked by a evil little murdering scum bag and I stood my ground to fight. This was one of those times when I have spent so much time "knowing that I can't win" but decided to die honorably rather then dying with an arrow in my back.

After an amazing juggling match of Bow, melee, heals and even the odd debuff attempt I delivered the killing blow. Even after I saw the message on my screen and his crying body on the ground I couldn't believe that I had won. This was my first solo PvP kill ever in darkfall, sure I have killed a bunch in zergs and other lopsided fights but this was 1v1.

After all the time and work I put into skilling up my character I have never felt so good about killing someone. in fact my adrenaline was pumping so much from the excitement I struggled to find the "X" key on my keyboard to gank/finish him off. hehe

Anyways, I hope everyone gets to a point where they can experience this feeling because nothing is better this.

Don't ya love it??

And isn't it great to feel that you've EARNED it, and really accomplished something??

• I will start my experience tomorrow. There's hope that in a few month, I can experience that feeling. I'm looking forward to it :).

• SwoogieSwoogie Member UncommonPosts: 399

Threads like this make me think i should try DFO

• Originally posted by twinkyME

i kinda felt bad when i got my first kill because i knew the only reason i won was because I had killed more mobs.

And that is different in most other MMOs in what way...?

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

Originally posted by reijan

Originally posted by twinkyME

i kinda felt bad when i got my first kill because i knew the only reason i won was because I had killed more mobs.

And that is different in most other MMOs in what way...?

Nevermind Critts, he needs no feeding today.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• Originally posted by twinkyME

Rofl

• daggnastydaggnasty Member Posts: 26

It really is the best feeling to get your first solo pvp kill. I remember I was killing hob Goblins when all of a sudden out of nowhere an arrow hit me and I knew it wasn't a Mobs. I turn around and there was a human running right at me! I drew my weapon and being at 3/4's health I thought I was dead. I hit him a few times ran back and casted my mana to stam and stam to health. I turned around hit him two more times and he started to run so I whipped out a bow shot him in the back and got a killing blow. There was so much adrenaline pumping through my veins that I could barely loot since my hands were shaking so much. I still get that feeling every solo PvP fight I have ever done and It is the reason why I keep Playing.

• EthianEthian Member Posts: 1,216

Grats man! I've literally fallen in love with DFO. To the point that I'm planning to keep subing to the 6month deal for as long as the game is around. I've played aton of MMOs in my 5+ years of MMOs and I've yet to find a game as fun and exciting as DFO. I've found the MMO I've been looking for.

"I play Tera for the gameplay"

• glofishglofish Member UncommonPosts: 346

I don't get it. Why does this make you love the grind?

Wouldn't been better if you could always have a chance against someone, not just after a mindless grind?

Wouldn't the fight be just as exciting if you did not have to put in months of grind before getting the fair chance?

Originally posted by glofish

Wouldn't been better if you could always have a chance against someone, not just after a mindless grind?

Wouldn't the fight be just as exciting if you did not have to put in months of grind before getting the fair chance?

Nope if there was little character development then it would just be another FPS but with a huge persistent world and crafting. 

If what you're looking for is another McMMO why not indulge in one of the many. If you can't stand any type of "grind", and want to stand toe to toe with anyone and everyone, whatcha doin' on this site?

It's not fair!! Fuck me.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• outpost81outpost81 Member Posts: 137

Originally posted by Cecropia

Originally posted by glofish

Nope if there was little character development then it would just be another FPS but with a huge persistent world and crafting. 

If what you're looking for is another McMMO why not indulge in one of the many. If you can't stand any type of "grind", and want to stand toe to toe with anyone and everyone, whatcha doin' on this site?

It's not fair!! Fuck me.

just another fps? how does that make any sense at all? i come from mordred server on dark age of camelot where "character progression" literally took 3-4 days to complete. then you just pvp'ed. It wasnt an fps, it was a pvp mmo. the game is still alive and probably has more people playng than this game so whats bad about a small grind?

My Darkfall character was stuck in RED alignment until I killed enough people AFK hitting trees and rocks. Darkfall is hardcore

Originally posted by outpost81

just another fps? how does that make any sense at all? i come from mordred server on dark age of camelot where "character progression" literally took 3-4 days to complete. then you just pvp'ed. It wasnt an fps, it was a pvp mmo. the game is still alive and probably has more people playng than this game so whats bad about a small grind?

That's fine and dandy for DAOC, but Darkfall is not trying to carry that torch. If character progression in this particular type of game took 3-4 days, I'd be gone in about a week. I can't justify paying a monthly sub to a MMORPG where my character can be fully developed over a long weekend. This may have worked for a great RVR game, or from what I hear in a game like Planetside, but again AV obviously never intended Darkfall to be this type of game.

I have two awesome modern F2P FPS games on my machine already if I was looking for that kind of character development. Why would I want to pay a monthly fee in an MMORPG to do the same. To put it in perspective; these days games like Battlefield heroes offer more than 3-4 days of character development.

You guys that want it fast and want it now should really just move on, this game is never going to cater to you. And you know what, that's ok.

Why can't ONE game be this way.

That's fine and dandy for DAOC, but Darkfall is not trying to carry that torch. If character progression in this particular type of game took 3-4 days, I'd be gone in about a week. I can't justify paying a monthly sub to a MMORPG where my character can be fully developed over a long weekend. This may have worked for a great RVR game, or from what I hear in a game like Planetside, but again AV obviously never intended Darkfall to be this type of game.

I have two awesome modern F2P FPS games on my machine already if I was looking for that kind of character development. Why would I want to pay a monthly fee in an MMORPG to do the same. To put it in perspective; these days games like Battlefield heroes offer more than 3-4 days of character development.

You guys that want it fast and want it now should really just move on, this game is never going to cater to you. And you know what, that's ok.

right...the point is DAOC isnt an FPS. lessening the grind (which in darkfall's case is all PVE from everything ive heard and read) doesnt make a game FPS. if darkfall let new players pvp quicker and made character progression done through pvp instead of PVE then there would be a lot more people playing the game im sure.

about to find out for myself i just installed the client an hour ago.

My Darkfall character was stuck in RED alignment until I killed enough people AFK hitting trees and rocks. Darkfall is hardcore

right...the point is DAOC isnt an FPS. lessening the grind (which in darkfall's case is all PVE from everything ive heard and read) doesnt make a game FPS. if darkfall let new players pvp quicker and made character progression done through pvp instead of PVE then there would be a lot more people playing the game im sure.

Character progression CAN be done through PVP. However, due to bloodwalls, the devs made it so that PVE was quicker, to encourage players to get out in the world instead of afk macroing in clan cities.

As to the speed of progression.....it's fine the way it is. Yeah, if it was faster, there might be more players, but AV and the target audience seem to be content with the way things are. People with ADD are not the target audience.

Originally posted by Wharg0ul

Character progression CAN be done through PVP. However, due to bloodwalls, the devs made it so that PVE was quicker, to encourage players to get out in the world instead of afk macroing in clan cities.

As to the speed of progression.....it's fine the way it is. Yeah, if it was faster, there might be more players, but AV and the target audience seem to be content with the way things are. People with ADD are not the target audience.

if progressing through pvp was viable would there really be thousands of threads about how bad the grind is? considering the main draw of this game is probably PvP?

if progressing through pvp was viable would there really be thousands of threads about how bad the grind is? considering the main draw of this game is probably PvP?

yeah, there would. Most of the people who post crying about the grind either:

A: don't play the game, and are trolling to scare away potential players. These are usually people who are mad that the game isn't UO 2.0, or are MO fans.

B: are part of the newer gfeneration of MMORPG gamers whjo expect to be at "end game" (of which there is no such thing in Darkfall) in a week.

C: just inclined to bitch and whine regardless.

In almost any MMORPG, you can go to the forums and see threads complainging about the grind. It's the nature of the genre.

I'll tell you this though....after grinding to level 220 in Anarchy Online, and grinding out a Jedi in pre-NGE SWG....the "grind" in Darkfall is NOTHING.

Especially since it's actually FUN.

A: don't play the game, and are trolling to scare away potential players. These are usually people who are mad that the game isn't UO 2.0, or are MO fans.

B: are part of the newer gfeneration of MMORPG gamers whjo expect to be at "end game" (of which there is no such thing in Darkfall) in a week.

In almost any MMORPG, you can go to the forums and see threads complainging about the grind. It's the nature of the genre.

I'll tell you this though....after grinding to level 220 in Anarchy Online, and grinding out a Jedi in pre-NGE SWG....the "grind" in Darkfall is NOTHING.

how long have you been playing darkfall? would you consider yourself pvp ready? how many mob kills do you have?

I know for myself since i've been playing for a couple hours or so now (lol) that i dont even know what endgame is i just want to get to a point where i can pvp. i think thats all most people want. why is there such a huge number of complaints about the grind in this game as opposed to any other game?

how long have you been playing darkfall? would you consider yourself pvp ready? how many mob kills do you have?

I know for myself since i've been playing for a couple hours or so now (lol) that i dont even know what endgame is i just want to get to a point where i can pvp. i think thats all most people want. why is there such a huge number of complaints about the grind in this game as opposed to any other game?

I've been playing since release, with a couple months off for the FE beta test.

PVP ready?? I don't believe there is such a thing....or at best it's a nebulous concept, conceived by people fixated on being able to solo the game.

Mob kills?? No way to tell really. When you transfer from one server to another, all that shit is reset. Probably a lot.....but I kill them for enchanting mats and regs, mostly.

As for the complaints about the grind.....I don't really see where there ARE more than other games...except for the fact that there are always more trolls in Darkfall forums because so many people either hate the game for one reason or another, or just don't understand the concept of having to put some effort into something.

By the way...You CAN PVP. You just won't win against anyone who's been playing longer than you without a group.

PVP ready?? I don't believe there is such a thing....or at best it's a nebulous concept, conceived by people fixated on being able to solo the game.

Mob kills?? No way to tell really. When you transfer from one server to another, all that shit is reset. Probably a lot.....but I kill them for enchanting mats and regs, mostly.

As for the complaints about the grind.....I don't really see where there ARE more than other games...except for the fact that there are always more trolls in Darkfall forums because so many people either hate the game for one reason or another, or just don't understand the concept of having to put some effort into something.

By the way...You CAN PVP. You just won't win against anyone who's been playing longer than you without a group.

So how many mobs have you killed since you transferred? just to get an idea. i have killed 33 so far lol. I see numbers on forums and some of them frankly scare me now that i know how hard it is to kill a goblin that is running around in circles and hiding behind trees.

Just from memory i know i have never seen this much outcry against a certain aspect of a game. just a glance over at the official forums makes me wonder if they are even moderating with threads like "grind, grind, grind" "alternative to AFK macroing", and "afk macroing- legalizing".

to be honest i have never even used the word grind until i thought of buying darkfall. no game i have ever played has ever seemed like a grind. I think its because a grind is probably more like work than play. i have heard some people refer to it as such but im finding it out for myself :)

• tehikktehikk Member Posts: 497

I was killing people right out the bat, in the newbie zone, fairs, fair, we both had the same skills, some a bit better than I, and I wanted their stuff, so I'd fight em' and bank at a wild bank. Never found any fun in it, and it certainly did not mask the grind, the quests were a bit fun, but not great. I did die a lot to, so you know, I wasn't an expert at playing, but I decided if I ever wanted to have fair fights, the best time to do it would be right off the bat when people had the same stats as I, and both of us knew what the other could do.

"The question that sometimes drives me hazy: Am I, or the others crazy?" - Albert Einstein

So how many mobs have you killed since you transferred? just to get an idea. i have killed 33 so far lol. I see numbers on forums and some of them frankly scare me now that i know how hard it is to kill a goblin that is running around in circles and hiding behind trees.

Just from memory i know i have never seen this much outcry against a certain aspect of a game. just a glance over at the official forums makes me wonder if they are even moderating with threads like "grind, grind, grind" "alternative to AFK macroing", and "afk macroing- legalizing".

to be honest i have never even used the word grind until i thought of buying darkfall. no game i have ever played has ever seemed like a grind. I think its because a grind is probably more like work than play. i have heard some people refer to it as such but im finding it out for myself :)

If you're thinking you can use my PVE kill count as an index to guage the "grind", I'm afraid it wouldn't help you much. You'll want to talk to one of the newer players who's gotten to the point where they can win a good amount of fights solo.

I've been playing so long at this point that the number would be irrelevent.

TBH....forget the word "grind" entirely. Just play the game, and have a good time. Don't rush things...progression is supposed to happen naturally as you play. If you force it, and turn it into a "grind", you'll burn yourself out.

Instead, try to fill your playtime with a variety of activities, so you don't get bored. And don't just kill the same mobs in the same areas for weeks....explore the world, find cool places to hunt, check out some of the dozens of mob types in teh game and just have a good time.

This is how I've always played the game, and it's probably why I'm still not bored yet.

• xaldraxiusxaldraxius Member Posts: 1,249

@OP DUDE! I so understand what you are talking about. The other day I was out harvesting, which I do in chain armor because I have like a hundred sets in my bank, and some naked red came up behind me and started leaf blading me. So I pulled out my 2hander turned around and cut them to jiggling hunks of bloody meat.

I was freaked out when they first hit me because I thought I was dead for sure, given the fact that I'd only been playing for two weeks, but I wasn't about to run.

Turns out they had a mount so now I have a horse and I haven't even had to train the taming skill.

• KshahdooKshahdoo Member Posts: 553

I know some of the best 1 vs 1 DF players on EU-1. They have 350 hp ungeared and unbuffed. Some hardcore nolifers can get that much in 2 months. If you aren't nolifer it will take you like 4 months to get there - pretty reasonable time for MMORPGs. Everything other is your skill. And it's for being amongst the best.

• BelegStrongbowBelegStrongbow Member UncommonPosts: 296

I think the best part about this post was the "I cant find the X key"

I have the exact same problem after I win an intense fight.  My hands are just in shock from all the Memory Muscle twitch skills I get in a damn daze.  

I love this post.  It really explains darkfalls most important aspect

• ZholzZholz Member Posts: 29

I would just like to thank everyone who jumped in here to share their own similar stories, I love hearing about them.

May the epic battles continue!