Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I am tired of grinding. I want a game that is fun, has places to explore. It could have building in

SkiperSkiper Member Posts: 18

Hello, I need help finding a new game. I did WOW for a year and a half and i am tired of grinding. I like traveling, exploring and I would not mind Building if it doesnt consist of too much grinding. I want it to be an online game, as i love the social aspect of gaming. It also has to be a PC game. I used to love pvp, but it usually consist of a lot of grinding.

thank you.

Skipper

Comments

• astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

Have you looked at guild wars? Im afraid I can't think of any other game with less grind than WoW except maybe Guild Wars. Places to explore, well, there is a lot of content if you get all the x packs, it is a bit linear for my tastes, but get one and see maybe.

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

• KordeshKordesh Member Posts: 1,715

Unfortunately traveling/exploring/housing are all things that pretty much got dragged out in back and shot when WoW hit the scene and it went from "awesome new feature" to "worthless because its not gear". I remember when every game on the market was scrambling to get a housing system in, and then WoW hit, completely blew apart any notion of having social or otherwise non-grind based game systems, and it's rarely been revisited ever since. Exploration/travel went the way of the dodo after instancing became the new hot thing, and now you're lucky if you're not being funneled down a tunnel with invisible walls on every side the whole way through. Hell, AION, a game with freaking FLIGHT is on of the most linear games out there, AoC, with some of the better environmental graphics, is also just a bunch of twisty paths. 

Unfortunately, unless you're willing to sacrifice traditional gameplay in general and play Love, there isn't really anything for us. Mortal is a trainwreck so that is kind of out. Darkfall would sort of fit the bit were it not for its glaring issues with its skill system and the fact that it's community is composed of horrendous manchildren. So yeah, keep looking and if you find it, let me know.

Bans a perma, but so are sigs in necro posts.

EAT ME MMORPG.com!

• NattydreadNattydread Member Posts: 87

interesting topic, I too am tired of the grind,and every game seems to be the same with different graphics.. I like to explore and be immeresed, this constant need to quest has become a second job, so I have stopped playing yet another MMO...

Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup,
    You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle,
    You put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
    Now water can flow or it can crash!
    Be water, my friend.
    ~Bruce Lee

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063

Try EQ2, LoTRO, or Vanguard for starters. All three of those games have housing, a more social community, and more exploration than WoW does.

• AngorimAngorim Member Posts: 466

Originally posted by Kordesh

Unfortunately traveling/exploring/housing are all things that pretty much got dragged out in back and shot when WoW hit the scene and it went from "awesome new feature" to "worthless because its not gear". I remember when every game on the market was scrambling to get a housing system in, and then WoW hit, completely blew apart any notion of having social or otherwise non-grind based game systems, and it's rarely been revisited ever since. Exploration/travel went the way of the dodo after instancing became the new hot thing, and now you're lucky if you're not being funneled down a tunnel with invisible walls on every side the whole way through. Hell, AION, a game with freaking FLIGHT is on of the most linear games out there, AoC, with some of the better environmental graphics, is also just a bunch of twisty paths. 

Unfortunately, unless you're willing to sacrifice traditional gameplay in general and play Love, there isn't really anything for us. Mortal is a trainwreck so that is kind of out. Darkfall would sort of fit the bit were it not for its glaring issues with its skill system and the fact that it's community is composed of horrendous manchildren. So yeah, keep looking and if you find it, let me know.

Your post depressed me immensely as it reminded me why I've stopped playing MMO's entirely.

• MosaicMMosaicM Member Posts: 15

Originally posted by Nattydread

interesting topic, I too am tired of the grind,and every game seems to be the same with different graphics.. I like to explore and be immeresed, this constant need to quest has become a second job, so I have stopped playing yet another MMO...

Same exact thing with me. I'm tired of all the grinding, I want to be able to explore strange worlds/lands, maybe making stuff or building houses. Just doing something different than quest,quest,get loot,quest,etc.

I have high hopes for The old republic and the Vampire MMO by CCP. But both are pretty far off, especially the vamp mmo. If anyone finds a good mmo like this, let us know.

Corporation, n: An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility. - Ambrose Bierce

• MNZebaMNZeba Member Posts: 254

Originally posted by astoria

Have you looked at guild wars? Im afraid I can't think of any other game with less grind than WoW except maybe Guild Wars. Places to explore, well, there is a lot of content if you get all the x packs, it is a bit linear for my tastes, but get one and see maybe.

Guild wars is your best bet. It also has some great PvP. Not too much building though... However, you do have a guild hall that you can kinda decorate.

• ViscVisc Member Posts: 89

You can try Darkfall. Regardless of opinion it has all that you ask for. The $1 trial is a brief but you'll have a good idea if you want to contnue after that.

• sekrogsekrog Member Posts: 261

Originally posted by MosaicM

Same exact thing with me. I'm tired of all the grinding, I want to be able to explore strange worlds/lands, maybe making stuff or building houses. Just doing something different than quest,quest,get loot,quest,etc.

I have high hopes for The old republic and the Vampire MMO by CCP. But both are pretty far off, especially the vamp mmo. If anyone finds a good mmo like this, let us know.

I mentioned the main reason for this problem in another thread, but I'll summarize it again...

There are games that have TONS of exploration...strange worlds where the inhabitants actually behave in a way that makes some sense.  Herbivores move in packs...Carnivores hunt the weak...the weather is dynamic, meaning that the seasons actually change.  Games where crafted items are by far and away the best items, and they can be intricately customized by the better crafters.  Games with no classes, instead they are skill-based.  Games where Wolves and Boars don't drop Gold and +2 Bastard Swords.  In fact, they drop nothing...you have to quarter them for materials.  Games where you can customize your abilities.

Problem is, players like yourselves try these games, make posts about how awesome and innovative these games are, only to find that there's low population compared to the BIG MMO's, and then you leave.  You go back to where the "people" are, even though you don't like the BIG game very much and you can't STAND the community.

Here's the hard to accept truth.  YOU (meaning the vast majority of MMO'ers) have caused this glut in MMO innovation.  YOU (meaning the vast majority of MMO'ers) continue to bitch and moan in every forum about games being too hard to level...about travel times being too long...about the death penalty being too severe...and YOU (meaning the vast majority of MMO'ers) end up stripping away everything about games that make them a challenge and a mystery.

My advice?  Do what I did...join a game like Ryzom.  Try the 21-day trial, and if you like the game, stick around...regardless if the community is small.  The only way that things will change is if the players who actually DESIRE change, SUPPORT change.  Companies aren't going to support development teams with 50-100 million dollars on ideas that won't sell...YOU (meaning the vast majority of MMO'ers) are the ones who determine the future direction of MMO's.

• tidalkrakentidalkraken Member Posts: 49

Amen to that. Seems like the only changes companies ever put in games are for hardcore players or to get people to level cap faster. There's never any world change or anything significant that happens.

Originally posted by sekrog

I mentioned the main reason for this problem in another thread, but I'll summarize it again...

There are games that have TONS of exploration...strange worlds where the inhabitants actually behave in a way that makes some sense.  Herbivores move in packs...Carnivores hunt the weak...the weather is dynamic, meaning that the seasons actually change.  Games where crafted items are by far and away the best items, and they can be intricately customized by the better crafters.  Games with no classes, instead they are skill-based.  Games where Wolves and Boars don't drop Gold and +2 Bastard Swords.  In fact, they drop nothing...you have to quarter them for materials.  Games where you can customize your abilities.

Problem is, players like yourselves try these games, make posts about how awesome and innovative these games are, only to find that there's low population compared to the BIG MMO's, and then you leave.  You go back to where the "people" are, even though you don't like the BIG game very much and you can't STAND the community.

Here's the hard to accept truth.  YOU (meaning the vast majority of MMO'ers) have caused this glut in MMO innovation.  YOU (meaning the vast majority of MMO'ers) continue to bitch and moan in every forum about games being too hard to level...about travel times being too long...about the death penalty being too severe...and YOU (meaning the vast majority of MMO'ers) end up stripping away everything about games that make them a challenge and a mystery.

My advice?  Do what I did...join a game like Ryzom.  Try the 21-day trial, and if you like the game, stick around...regardless if the community is small.  The only way that things will change is if the players who actually DESIRE change, SUPPORT change.  Companies aren't going to support development teams with 50-100 million dollars on ideas that won't sell...YOU (meaning the vast majority of MMO'ers) are the ones who determine the future direction of MMO's.

YOU! I have been waiting to take you to task for a while. Quit the condescending bullshit. You have 200+ posts of nothing but shilling for Ryzom in the most obnoxious ways possible. I've played Ryzom for a non-trivial period of time. It is not gods gift to gaming. It has issues, SERIOUS ones, that are more than enough reason for someone to not play it, not because they're some "ignorant consumer who is killing gaming D8!"

The game is unreliable as it's been killed off an resurrected multiple times, and consequently is packed full of half finished features, NPCs with quests that have been broken/unfinished for years, and doesn't even have half of the features people you keep recommending it to are looking for. Yes, it has exploration, it's a very big world, and yes, it has PvP, sort of, in a very clunky kind of way. But housing is instanced and guild based, the PvE portion of the game is abysmal because the "carnivores eating the grazing herbivores" consists of just swaths of mobs just dumped haphazardly around with very little "life" to them besides agroing you every five seconds, and the most critical part of any game, the UI, is overly cumbersome and a chore to operate. Yes, hidden harvesting nodes is cool. Yes, Ryzom Ring WAS a novel idea before City of Heroes stole it. But they do not excuse the numerous other fundamental flaws. 

I have no problem with recommending or commenting on a game you enjoy, but you cross the line when you start deriding people because they're not playing the game you've decided to idolize.

EAT ME MMORPG.com!

• Necroscope84Necroscope84 Member Posts: 54

Have you'll tried Eve Online or maybe even Second Life if you want a good social experience. Hell, Second Life boasts a "real" economy with the first every mmo millionaire who made thier fortune off of buying, selling and leasing virtual land inside that game.  You can do anything in Second Life, social, build ANYTHING you can think of and sell it for Lindens that can be cashed in for real money.  You can go see a new movie in a virtual movie theater, go to dance clubs, play on any one of the thousands of roleplay sims, adventure, vampire, cyber, adult, or visit more family oriented settings, Everything and anything does exist there.  I don't play it too much because I'm antisocial but it's definetly neat.

• ShastraShastra Member Posts: 1,061

Originally posted by Skiper

Hello, I need help finding a new game. I did WOW for a year and a half and i am tired of grinding. I like traveling, exploring and I would not mind Building if it doesnt consist of too much grinding. I want it to be an online game, as i love the social aspect of gaming. It also has to be a PC game. I used to love pvp, but it usually consist of a lot of grinding.

thank you.

Vanguard.

Originally posted by Shastra

Originally posted by Skiper

thank you.

Vanguard.

Vanguard has a pretty good feature set, but it's all been dropped by SoE. Development was cut back majorly and its essentially only a matter of time before it's no longer worth keeping up to pad their Station Pass which is a shame /=

EAT ME MMORPG.com!

• HardlinemonkHardlinemonk Member Posts: 67

Let me tell you one thing that people in this thread have been mentioning which I DO NOT agree with. I would strongly NOT recommend Guild Wars. I have had the game since release (what is it 5 years + now?) and the game is a GRIND within itself. Although it may be pretty simple to cap lvl 20 in PvE, it sort of ends there unless you want to gold farm for nice armor and other bull. As for the PvP, yes it is very fun and exciting, especially the Guild vs. Guild aspect. However starting as a new player you will be up against hardcore veterans who have played the game for years on end. They are usually not very welcoming to new players with no titles and / or high ranks which will take a huge amount of time to get up. For example, the heroes ascent  rank which most people will ask you first thing, has each rank going up an EXPONENTIAL AMOUNT. Sure the first 3 or 4 aren't too shabby to obtain but after that, good luck.

Another thing, the OP asked for a game that he can explore! Guild wars is one of those "invisible wall / linear / instanced" games with no actual free exploration.

Also, there is no housing system in GW. The closest thing to a house you'll ever see is your guild hall which cannot be decorated (unless you count adding NPC's to your hall and firework displays as decorations).

IMO don't do GW since it is nothing like what you wanted besides the little grind.

On the other hand, GW is a great game. I loved the community (stuck with a tight knit group for several years), the PvP is excellent and competative (but repetitive), and the PvE was fun (for a period). The main problem I see is the community dwindling a bit in terms of PvP. However, setting up a team of 8 takes some serious time in most cases.

Anyways enough ranting. GW = don’t do it unless you have big time patience. Wait for GW 2 IMO.

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527

Originally posted by sekrog

The supposed majority also look down on the veteran MMO players  when we suggest these things in newer MMOs then shot and flamed to hell on MMO forums , really I would have to agree here their tired of the same copy and paste MMOs these days but don't know what the hell they really want so they keep paying to play these flops. I'm sure there are people out there including veteran players that would love to see a AAA MMO where all listed above is improved on and implemented but until the majority start open up to these features and actually try older MMOs and stop trying to make every game emulate the WOW/EQ scheme we can start seeing some real innovation.