Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ancient use of the word noob/newb! Truth has been revealed!

SwoogieSwoogie Member UncommonPosts: 399

Ok so my history professor just went over this in class and he said the Ancient Romans called people who were new to the government were called "novus homo" which was a derogatory term for NEW politicians that behave like they are better then they are/know more then they really do!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Novus_homo <--- Wikipedia for Novus Homo(Ancient Roman meaning)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newb <--- Wikipedia for newb/noob.

I'm stunned

EDIT: I'm not sure what truth I have revealed. Just think its cool

Comments

• RegenRegen Member Posts: 53

Actualy, the wikipedia article is a bit misleading.

"Newb" and "Newbie" means someone inexperienced.

"Noob" and "n00b" is an insult. It means something like "Idiot".
    Its often ironic to see who uses the word.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/261448/page/5

"I'd just like to see more games that focus on the world, and giving the people in it more of a role, im tired of these constant single player games that you can walk around with millions of people."

- Parsalin

• SwoogieSwoogie Member UncommonPosts: 399
    Originally posted by Regen

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=noob

How about that article on Urban Dictionary? Its pretty biased but it's funny as hell. It also seems pretty accurate.

I just think its interesting that a very similar term was used in ancient times

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

I'm sure that's where the term "Novice" originates. Still pretty funny and interesting. thanks

• hooptyhoopty Member UncommonPosts: 788

It some Idiot who gets paid to think up some words and gets paid millions for it...Like Asshole is not  a bad word..It just some asshole gave it a bad meaning...Oh hell we all can make up a word and give it a bad meaning..Street slang is notorious for making up words..But hey just because someone told you it was bad, does it really make it so, Noob?..haha

Edit spelling..

Some people rob you at gun point..Others will rob you at "Ball Point Pen"

Originally posted by BarCrow

I'm sure that's where the term "Novice" originates. Still pretty funny and interesting. thanks

Nice observation

• AseenusAseenus Member UncommonPosts: 1,844

No buddy this is where you are mistaken, in the early days of gaming noob meant someone new, then people started insulting someone calling them noob meaning that they play like someone whos new and now it has evolved to become a pure insult.  Most people however still say noob to mean that you play like someone new.

Originally posted by Aseenus

No buddy this is where you are mistaken, in the early days of gaming noob meant someone new, then people started insulting someone calling them noob meaning that they play like someone whos new and now it has evolved to become a pure insult.  Most people however still say noob to mean that you play like someone new.

Did you read the urban dictionary or wikipedia articles?

• merieke82merieke82 Member Posts: 165

Newb, and variations of newb, are such a cliche term that I have way less respect for people using the term than anyone actually being called a newb. It's gotten to the point where many self-respecting gamers use the term as more of a joke among friends. Calling someone a newb indirectly applies newb status to yourself for being so out of touch with reality.

It's like when you were 18 and your Mom tried to tell you that studying hard and being yourself was "cool." These terms really only have a valid bearing if being spoken from the point of view of someone who actually understands the timeliness and cultural relevance of the word to the person it's being directed at.

Maybe I'm just getting too old.

• CypruskaCypruska Member UncommonPosts: 45

amazing hahaha

• StainlessgmrStainlessgmr Member Posts: 12

you were so close on that one.. 

newbie, is the slang term derived from the phrase New Beginner.  It was further shortened to the 1 syllable word Newb.  Which then was transformed into NOOB via the phonetic spelling of the word (aka newb sounds like noob and thus the new spelling was born)

The word has always ment the same thing (new beginner) no matter what the spelling, however the context of the word in a sentence/situation reflects weither or not it is an insult.

"Hi, I'm a noob, can somebody please help me here?"

"OMFG you noobs don't know what your talking about!"