Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: XBOX 360 Rumors Shot Down

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

The folks over at Massively reported on the possibility of an XBOX 360 version of Star Wars: The Old Republic yesterday, as the game had appeared in a XBOX 360 release list over at VG 24/7 with a release date of TBC-2011. This, naturally, stirred up a lot of discussion and so Star Wars: The Old Republic Community Manager Sean "AshenTemper" Dahlberg stepped in to clear the air, debunking the rumors:

"Star Wars: The Old Republic is currently being developed for the personal computer (PC) using the Microsoft® Windows® operating system. While we recognize that there are other operating systems and platforms available for games today, our development is specific to the personal computer using the Windows operating system at this time."

Via Massively.

Comments

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

it doesnt matter cuz the games graphics still looks like shit on PC n the gameplay is still some auto attack shit. I think im gonna be playing final fantasy 14 on my PS3

• CitiusCitius Member Posts: 69

Of course they ignore the Mac Platform, I was hoping more companies would follow Value and Blizzard and develop games for both operating systems 

Played: World of Warcraft (5Y), WarHammer (3M), Anarchy Online, Runescape (5+Y), Lord of the Rings Online, Runes of Magic, City of Heroes/Villains, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Fallen Earth (1M)

Currently Playing: Guild Wars
    Currently Trying: None
    Taking a Break From: EVE Online

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Originally posted by tkreep

it doesnt matter cuz the games graphics still looks like shit on PC n the gameplay is still some auto attack shit. I think im gonna be playing final fantasy 14 on my PS3

There is no auto attack in Star Wars: The Old Republic.

Originally posted by MikeB

there still is that ugly hotbar and the game still looks like a saturday morning cartoon.

• ProsonProson Member UncommonPosts: 544

He is right on the graphics though, they look like shit!

But gameplay is what counts when you come down to it. But i wouldnt mind abit better graphics.

Currently Playing Path of Exile

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

there still is that ugly hotbar and the game still looks like a saturday morning cartoon.

What mmo doesn't have a hotbar?

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• harvest151harvest151 Member UncommonPosts: 217

No mac. No Console. This was covered and verified months ago by the Forum CM staff and devs. It never should have even made it to the "rumor mill".   I usually like massively, but a 3 second forum search would have elimited this artical alltogether. Its pretty crappy reporting and fact checking.

There is no auto attack

Every mmo on the market has a hotbar.

If you don't like the graphical style, don't play. I would rather have a game that can run on a vast array of pc's creating a populated world than some elite pc only game with ultra-realistic graphics. Every "realistic" graphics mmo I have played has sucked anyway.  It's not everyones cup of tea for sure, but I for one, like it.

• scottnsscottns Member UncommonPosts: 231

So you've played the game then?

• tehikktehikk Member Posts: 497

Yay!

I was worried about this...

Oh, and I'm glad it'll look like Saturday morning cartoons! Didn't you watch them?

EDIT: Anyone else here notice the trolls avatar is from the SW:TOR forum avatar selection?

"The question that sometimes drives me hazy: Am I, or the others crazy?" - Albert Einstein

Originally posted by Rockgod99

hopefully mmos in the near future.

Originally posted by tehikk

Yay!

I was worried about this...

Oh, and I'm glad it'll look like Saturday morning cartoons! Didn't you watch them?

EDIT: Anyone else here notice the trolls avatar is from the SW:TOR forum avatar selection?

thats cuz i like star wars and I had that avatar since when I did have interest in this game.  [Mod Edit]

• eric_w66eric_w66 Member UncommonPosts: 1,006

Sounds like a mac user who likes consoles: "If I can't play it with a gamepad, it's too complicated!"

"I can't handle a mouse with TWO buttons! I can't handle the choices, STEVE JOBS SAVE ME FROM HAVING TO MAKE A CHOICE! I WANT TO BE AN iSHEEPLE!"

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238

Originally posted by Rockgod99

hopefully mmos in the near future.

And how do you play if you have more than three skills? Assigning your whole keyboard for actions or making a gaming mouse mandatory for playing MMOs? I don't remember a SINGLE MMO that doesn't have some sort of hotbar.

Unless his point is that the hotbar is ugly, as in ugly clunky crappy UI.

About graphics, meh, it's unfortunate they sacrifice quality for accessibility instead of investing and letting everyone play with what their computer can handle so they went cartoonish, though I still have some hope the screenshots are not in the best quality graphics because they weren't developed yet...

• xaldraxiusxaldraxius Member Posts: 1,249

I don't think anyone will ever manage a cross console release, sans Final Fantasy XI, due to the limited lifespan of consoles and Microsoft's high demands. As it is they charge too much for their gold live membership where the PS3 network is free. But who'd want to release a game that they expect to have longevity with on a system that will be obsolete in a couple of years at most, not to mention the limitations imposed by having to be playable on a game pad.

Also I have a feeling that Microsoft is afraid of having an MMO on the 360 because of the high system demands it would place on the console that is already known for catastrophic failure due to overheating.

As for SW:TOR, I am looking forward to playing. The graphics may not be as realistic as AoC, but we've all seen the drawbacks to intensive requirements in an MMO. I think they are taking the right path by keeping the polygon count lower. Even so it looks better than WoW, which may be five years old, but is still king of the hill.

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

please dont use that dumb excuse "so u played the game?" BS.  If I cant play it with a gamepad, then i dont want that shit.

So why are you posting on a forum dedicated to MMORPGs and PC Gaming?

If they are not your cup of tea, and you are well aware that 95% of MMORPGs never end up with a console port, then you really have nothing to contribute to the discussion taking place.

OnTopic:

I am glad to see PC as the only option, although they should consider MACs as well.

Consoles are definitely not a route I would prefer to see them take and I am glad they have no plans to do so. I am not a fan of console gaming or console gamers, to be entirely honest, as my experiences with them over the years have consisted almost entirely of obnoxious teenagers who cannot control themselves and behave maturely in an online environment.

These have strictly been my own personal experiences, obviously not all console gamers fall into the above category, but from what I have seen the majority certainly do and that is one demographic I prefer to avoid as much as humanly possible.

• uohaloranuohaloran Member Posts: 811

Originally posted by scottns

<Mod. Edit>

Maybe you should finish middle school before posting on the internet, Billy. I hear you earn great social skills in school.

Anyway, I sort of figured this. They should give us more information on things that actually matter, though.

• KryogenicKryogenic Member Posts: 663

please dont use that dumb excuse "so u played the game?" BS.  If I cant play it with a gamepad, then i dont want that shit.

Yeah, cause everyone knows you can learn everything you need to know about a game by looking at screenshots and pretending to know everything about it.

Seriously, how closed-minded can you be?

I was a little put off by the graphics initially. I was disappointed that they seemed to be trying to pander to the younger audience that followed The Clone Wars. It was disappointing because the original KotoR games were definitely not even half as child friendly as The Clone Wars. The style is definitely cartoony, but the graphics are most certainly not bad. I've enjoyed the scenery and animations from the videos posted on the website. WoW's graphics may be stylized, but that doesn't make them bad. ToR's graphics are stylized as well and have grown on me since the first announcement of the game.

If you look at the videos, interviews, screenshots, and read the background info via the website, you can really see that they are going with some very cool story elements which aren't anything like the Saturday morning cartoon narratives of The Clone Wars.

You don't like the game? Fine, but don't try to convince others that you know how the game is going to be when you know so little about it. Having a forum avatar from the official forums on a different site does not mean you know what the game is about. In fact, seeing how little you know about the game in conjunction with the fact that you have that avatar speaks volumes. 

You can't be bothered to browse through the site and read the articles, but you can damn sure link their artwork as your avatar.

I would also like to add, for you over zealous, forum Nazi mods on this site, that I am simply stating my opinion. This is not a personal attack, flame, or trolling. I'm sure you'll find some reason to temp ban me or remove my post. I'm starting to hate this site.

• uohaloranuohaloran Member Posts: 811

You're absolutely right on the mod edits Kryogenic. They've been censoring things that don't even need censoring. What is this? Soviet Russia?    

• xaldraxiusxaldraxius Member Posts: 1,249

Originally posted by uohaloran
    You're absolutely right on the mod edits Kryogenic. They've been censoring things that don't even need censoring. What is this? Soviet Russia?    

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

"In Soviet Russia post bans you." Yakov Smirnoff

• Darth_OsorDarth_Osor Member Posts: 1,089

please dont use that dumb excuse "so u played the game?" BS.  If I cant play it with a gamepad, then i dont it.

<Mod. Edit>

Exhibit A of why I'm glad Bioware is ignoring consoles for this game.

• leumasx7leumasx7 Member Posts: 218

mutli-point post.

One: Glad it isn't on console. I think Bioware even knows that the main step up the PC gaming has is MMO's. Not to mention, the game would be crap on a consol.

Second: And even though MAC sucks... They probably will short after release a MAC version.

Third: Graphics are in rough alpha, most likely those will be a medium/low setting what you see right now, they have probably yet to come out with more HD textures.

Fourth: Why would u play a MMO with a Gamepad. ZOMG IS THAT A KEYBOARD --IDK, SO HARD; WHATS THIS.. - A Mouse?, HOW DO I MOVE ME CAMERA?

Fifth: MMO without a HotBar is a MMO on the way down to failure. If WoW had no Hot Bar they woulda failed within the first month, specially if most were pallies (first patch for wow after a week, Pallies now have talents.)

• daemondaemon Member UncommonPosts: 680

it wont be a dumbed down MMO for consoles... GOOD.

• scottnsscottns Member UncommonPosts: 231

please dont use that dumb excuse "so u played the game?" BS.  If I cant play it with a gamepad, then i dont want it.

<Mod. Edit>

They why the hell do you read these forums? Idiot.

• ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933

Here goes another console kid who only cares about visuals and gets overwhelmed and puzzled when a game utilizes more than 5 buttons to operate. How exactly are you going to handle a level caped toon in an MMO when raiding or pvp'ing with a dozen abilities, cd's, consumables, etc? If not with a mouse and keyboard? I met some of your type during my time in WoW. It was amusing watching them try to find their toons abilities in the middle of a boss fight. Of course it was not so amusing when they where healers or tanks.

Bioware made the right decision not to release SW TOR for the consoles.

• leumasx7leumasx7 Member Posts: 218

HEY GUIS DONT WORRY I CAN THROW MORE HEALS AS SOON AS I USE A MANA POT, I HAVE IT BOND TO. (HOLD, select, tap R twice to get barrel roll item menu, then all i have to do is tap L to get to right Category. Then if i remeber correct, i press UP UP- RIGHT RIGHT RIGHT, Y, LEFT, Y, DOWN, A) THEN I GOT IT!

(your team has been dead for a minute...)

Tank: "SO HOW BOUT THOSE HEALS?"

This discussion has been closed.