Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nvidia GTX 480 + 470 Launch today

Comments

• dfandfan Member Posts: 362

Originally posted by AmazingAvery

Originally posted by dfan

Originally posted by drbaltazar

but im happy for all the guys that have been endlessly waiting for new nvidia card theyll finally be able to get what they ve been waiting for almost a year later then ati!

Seriously, if someone has been waiting for that, he's a serious fanboy.

I wouldn't say so. 

Hands down no matter what corner you are in the GTX 480 is the fastest single card you can get (depending on availability)

Power draw and heat and even Price really don't bother me I want fastest MAX and Minimum FPS.

Only in Feb was 5870 properly in stock and 5970 never has been for me apart from at release.

I am happy to say I waited to make a better informed decision.

Fastest single gpu card is the only trophy fermi receives, everything else is worse than with ati.

At January atiamd reported they had sold over 2 million 5800 series cards, if that's no availability I don't know what is. Kinda funny argument when thinking of fermi's stock amounts.

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

Originally posted by Agricola1

480 will cost more than a 5870 for a small gain in FPS with masses of extra heat produced and power consumed and it's still technically inferior. Also the top of the line card is still the 5970, wether it has more than one GPU on a single is card doesn't really matter it uses a single slot.

I still think ATI have nVidia beat on most aspects, nVidia did the predictable and threw in a load of extra hardware and just kept pushing the envelope until they beat out the 5870. The fact it costs more and you could probably roast marshmallows over it with your friends at a lan party for a very marginal gain on ATI's second best single card should be ignored by all good Nvidia fanbois.

I'm willing to bet that inside the average air cooled tower once that baby revs up and is going full pelt the extra heat would probably cause your comp to lose performance! Those marginal gains would slip away like a burger down Oprah Winfrey's throat!

If you want the best performance and have the money to spend you buy the 5970 (look on Amazon). If you don't have that kind of money but want a great card you buy the 5870 unless you're an nVidia fanbois in wich case you pony up some extra cash to increase your electricity bill and oven cook your mobo!

GTX 480 is costing me roughly $70 more than a cheap 5870. For that I get 33% fast minimal frame rate in Crysis Wars which i play a lot of, it is also getting me a faster card overall. Sure 5970 is top of the line but it another $200 more expensive for me than a GTX 480 (typical pricing in Canada) and the 5970 hardly in stock when I wanted to buy it - see earlier threads in the hardware section here. Probably talking 20 mins availability in last 3 months combined. The 5870 has been out a while now, Nvidia, well we do not even know about availability there, at the same time it does bring newer different tech that no one knows how it will perform (the whole tesselation thing) and the card launched with launch day drivers. I am willing to bet later on this year it will be a worthy investment. At load it is typically only 5-7degrees C hotter than a 5970.

When my 480 comes I might just WC it and be done with the fan, so noise and heat are crossed off. Power draw not an issue for me.

I will post a video of my case with it in all sealed up and we will see how loud.

Sorry to say this but there are people out there that brought ATI because they were cheesed off waiting, simply put it is noticeable all over that some of these people are becoming defensive of their ATI purchase now they have not got the fastest single GPU anymore. Coupled with the fact the proposed price cut from ATI doesn't like it is happening any time soon there are more than enough reasons to be dismissive.

I typically spend $60 a month on gaming so just that for a newer fast card difference is not much really, 35 quid. I can do that in the pub on matchday :P

I understand that I might be a bit different in my approach that the normal person perusing, but the simple fact a faster card is out will be all that is needed for some.

49degrees idle is nothing

The new metro game using much more higher degree of tesselation that seen before in games, performs better with the GTX 480. Maybe that it is because it has the ability to do games with this DX11 feature in better therefore shaping up nicely for future game releases? Who knows.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzjNiDr05Fk

• jagd1jagd1 Member Posts: 281

The new metro game using much more higher degree of tesselation that seen before in games, performs better with the GTX 480. Maybe that it is because it has the ability to do games with this DX11 feature in better therefore shaping up nicely for future game releases? Who knows.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzjNiDr05Fk

Or maybe it is in nvidia's TWIMTP program ?

Originally posted by Agricola1

480 will cost more than a 5870 for a small gain in FPS with masses of extra heat produced and power consumed and it's still technically inferior. Also the top of the line card is still the 5970, wether it has more than one GPU on a single is card doesn't really matter it uses a single slot.

I still think ATI have nVidia beat on most aspects, nVidia did the predictable and threw in a load of extra hardware and just kept pushing the envelope until they beat out the 5870. The fact it costs more and you could probably roast marshmallows over it with your friends at a lan party for a very marginal gain on ATI's second best single card should be ignored by all good Nvidia fanbois.

I'm willing to bet that inside the average air cooled tower once that baby revs up and is going full pelt the extra heat would probably cause your comp to lose performance! Those marginal gains would slip away like a burger down Oprah Winfrey's throat!

If you want the best performance and have the money to spend you buy the 5970 (look on Amazon). If you don't have that kind of money but want a great card you buy the 5870 unless you're an nVidia fanbois in wich case you pony up some extra cash to increase your electricity bill and oven cook your mobo!

GTX 480 is costing me roughly $70 more than a cheap 5870. For that I get 33% fast minimal frame rate in Crysis Wars which i play a lot of, it is also getting me a faster card overall. Sure 5970 is top of the line but it another $200 more expensive for me than a GTX 480 (typical pricing in Canada) and the 5970 hardly in stock when I wanted to buy it - see earlier threads in the hardware section here. Probably talking 20 mins availability in last 3 months combined. The 5870 has been out a while now, Nvidia, well we do not even know about availability there, at the same time it does bring newer different tech that no one knows how it will perform (the whole tesselation thing) and the card launched with launch day drivers. I am willing to bet later on this year it will be a worthy investment. At load it is typically only 5-7degrees C hotter than a 5970.

When my 480 comes I might just WC it and be done with the fan, so noise and heat are crossed off. Power draw not an issue for me.

I will post a video of my case with it in all sealed up and we will see how loud.

Sorry to say this but there are people out there that brought ATI because they were cheesed off waiting, simply put it is noticeable all over that some of these people are becoming defensive of their ATI purchase now they have not got the fastest single GPU anymore. Coupled with the fact the proposed price cut from ATI doesn't like it is happening any time soon there are more than enough reasons to be dismissive.

I typically spend $60 a month on gaming so just that for a newer fast card difference is not much really, 35 quid. I can do that in the pub on matchday :P

I understand that I might be a bit different in my approach that the normal person perusing, but the simple fact a faster card is out will be all that is needed for some.

49degrees idle is nothing

I don't get how it would be 33 faster, more like 20%.

Generally speaking, 480 is 10% faster than 5870. And with some games:

As for prices:

http://geizhals.at/?cat=gra16_512&asuch=480&sort=p Cheapest 480, 489 €.

http://geizhals.at/?cat=gra16_512&asuch=5870&sort=p Cheapest 5870, 359€. 130 € cheaper than 480.

And temperatures:

Such high usage temperatures radically reduces card's lifetime.

Also, your word on 5k series availability is pure bullshit.

And, the metro benchmark.

Finally we could look at power draw.

Guess that's all there is to say.

Anandtech charts on page 1

As i say not much hotter than a 5970

Can you find me a 5970 in stock in Canada at the recommended retail price?  Tip: nothing at newegg.ca and nothing here http://pricecanada.com/search.php?key=5970&top_cat_id=0&search_type=ALL been like that since launch.

Can you find me a 5970 in stock in Canada at the recommended retail price?  Tip: nothing at newegg.ca and nothing here http://pricecanada.com/search.php?key=5970&top_cat_id=0&search_type=ALL been like that since launch.

So one review is absolute truth when others indicate totally different results?

All this time you have been comparing 480 to 5870 and now suddenly it's 5970?

I don't know that site, does it even have all the shops? Pretty hard to comment. When I look at similar european site, geizhals, it shows plenty of stock everywhere.

So one review is absolute truth when others indicate totally different results?

All this time you have been comparing 480 to 5870 and now suddenly it's 5970?

I don't know that site, does it even have all the shops? Pretty hard to comment. When I look at similar european site, geizhals, it shows plenty of stock everywhere.

What can I say that already hasn't been said. Totally up to people to chose which review they believe nothing wrong with that, never propositioned anything different. I have mentioned before I would buy a 5970 if I could. What I do not get from the ATI fanboy crowd is the typical oh Nvidia is hot, melting etc and yet, the 5970 is only a couple of degrees C off. Can't have it both ways.

As I said I wanted to buy fasted possible. 5970 been out of stock in my country which I might add has many ATI enthusiasts and it's head office is even in Canada. The 5870 has sporadically been in and out of stock in many Canadian E-tailers. All I can say is I have been looking every week since launch. Because of the short supply of new top end ATI cards I decided to wait for Nvidia to show what they got, and because of frustration I have pre-ordered and will see what I get. I am not going to pay a $200 premium over the GTX 480 for the 5970 because of mark up of short supply but I will pay $65 extra for the GTX 480  over the 5870 for the extra performance is more than worth it. Informed decision.

So let me ask, if you have a nice decently cooled case, would you either buy a 5970 at close to $700 or the cheapest 5870 at $440, can you see how the GTX 480 slots nicely in there at just over $500 for performance.

Maingear even have TRi SLi 480's in a case - AIR cooled, all this talk about extreme heat is semi accurate My 285's can get up to 85 degrees, my 4870x2 can get above that further at full on load.

PS furmark kills cards and is not indicative of real life gaming. And Anandtech tells you how the GTX 480 is up to 33% faster on minimal FPS in Crysis Warhead.

• illanadanillanadan Member Posts: 314

To help you with your Canada purchasing issue:

ShopBot.ca for the 5870

ShopBot.ca for the 5970

I can't seem to understand what issue's you were having trying to find them in stock? They are literally EVERYWHERE in Canada online stores.

Edit: Updated the 5970 link. My above comment stands.

- Case: Thermaltake Kandalf Black Chassis
    - CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition 3.2GHz (OC'd 4.2GHz on Water Cooling)
    - Memory: Mushkin 8Gb (4x 2Gb) DDR3 1600Mhz
    - HDD: Dual Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200 RPM
    - GFX: (2) XFX Radeon HD 5870 in CrossFire - New upgrade! :)

"I like wow, I like aion and I like AoC all for different reasons.....the later cause i get to see boobs, but still its a reason!!" - Sawlstone

Originally posted by illanadan

To help you with your Canada purchasing issue:

ShopBot.ca for the 5870

ShopBot.ca for the 5970

I can't seem to understand what issue's you were having trying to find them in stock? They are literally EVERYWHERE in Canada online stores.

Edit: Updated the 5970 link. My above comment stands.

Hi there thanks for looking.

If you look at the 5970 links you provided the first one is out of stock at canadacomputers.ca the other link the cheapest 5970 at extremePC is $856 with TAX and shipping which is $200+ over the RRP. Extreme PC has good links with ATI and I am aware of them but not willing to pay that much. I suspect they are the only place in Canada that have it in stock and therefore are charging wildly high price.

The 5870 has been in decent stock since Feb, but there has been plenty of times it was OOS even on Newegg.ca

EDIT: seems like you changed your search on shopbot link for 5970.

Infonec Computers, add card to cart and it says accepting back orders.

PCV online - out of stock

Canada computers - out of stock

PC Cyber - out of stock

NCIX.com - out of stock

Greytech computers - out of stock

Sorry been like this a long time now.

You hit the 5970 link before I updated it :)

Try it now :)

Edit: I see what you mean now. I have been looking through the individual stores and noticed what you are talking about. Looks like around half of them are still out of stock! Newegg just got a new batch in but not sure if they share stock between all countries or not (I am an ignorant American when it comes to shopping from other countries :)

"I like wow, I like aion and I like AoC all for different reasons.....the later cause i get to see boobs, but still its a reason!!" - Sawlstone

You hit the 5970 link before I updated it :)

Try it now :)

Thanks, I did :) But they are all out of stock apart from extremePC who has dibs with ATI and therefore charging premium of over $850 with shipping for me. Honestly been looking since it came out everywhere the same. I had to make the next best choice and pre-order the GTX 480 I would stand a better chance of getting a new fast decent card sooner and I am not paying an over the top price on it. I edited above post. I spent thousands on my PC and willing to pay for the best GPU the 5970 but was never gonna happen if it is not in stock even on home ATI turf, but I am not that crazy to spend extra $200 than my American friends when the CAD dollar is just as good :)

Infact to order than 5970 from XtremePC will cost me more than $300 more than GTX480 = not worth it for me.

Weighing up i do not mind have 7degrees C hotter card for $300 less.

Once you get it and have it running let us know how it treats you! I am hoping that nVidia can make a come back for the sake of all of us. I like seeing new vid cards popping up every few months, and I am afraid of ATI becoming complacent as nVidia did at one point.

Once you get it and have it running let us know how it treats you! I am hoping that nVidia can make a come back for the sake of all of us. I like seeing new vid cards popping up every few months, and I am afraid of ATI becoming complacent as nVidia did at one point.

Thank you for helping in looking. I know it is not perfect but for me it is preferable right now. I think ATI are well established with there 5k series of cards which is really good. It seems the manufacturing process is effecting both companies. I read that the Northern islands ATI refresh is potentially still stuck at the 40nm process I think they do a really good job at getting the best out of the process.

• jagd1jagd1 Member Posts: 281

Avery let it die man ,i dont understand what are you trying to do ? Canada is not only country on earth you know .

If even i can find one  5970 (in stock)  for  612$ +tax in turkey  im sure you can find one in canada ,will it take time i bet yes .And guess what gtx480 is 800$ + tax   gtx470=660$ +tax in turkey so stop saying price availability  etc  and decide for other people .I can buy 5970 for 612$ or 2 5870s for 800$ vs a gtx480 whichone is logical ?

PS :Tax =18% same for everyone

Originally posted by jagd1

Avery let it die man ,i dont understand what are you trying to do ? Canada is not only country on earth you know .

If even i can find one  5970 (in stock)  for  612$ +tax in turkey  im sure you can find one in canada ,will it take time i bet yes .And guess what gtx480 is 800$ + tax   gtx470=660$ +tax in turkey so stop saying price availability  etc  and decide for other people .I can buy 5970 for 612$ or 2 5870s for 800$ vs a gtx480 whichone is logical ?

PS :Tax =18% same for everyone

Not trying to do anything apart from buy a high end card and posted about my own experience. And no, sorry, ATI is essentially Canadian based and there is only 1 place that sells a 5970 that is in stock right now (E-Tailer) and to get to me is $800 an other main E-tailer I use is ncix.com and I pre-ordered the 480 from there for $540. Sorry to hear the other way around in Turkey. Was just stating fact thats all in justification in going for the 480. If I was in Turkey would be the other way around :)

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

Man...the 480 looks awesome. Toasty..but awesome. I just can't afford the price now that I am laid off. Sucks..oh well..maybe the next generation. my gtx 275 can still play AoC and Fallen Earth. So I'm good.

• noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170

The problem with the 480 is that it's basically already overclocked, I doubt the retail samples are going to have much headroom since the cooler is already working pretty hard to keep it cool and the voltage is already tweaked up.

Also, the GPU has been 'done' internally since the same time the 5870 was, Nvidia's driver team has put as much time enhancing the drivers as ATI has had time to do, it was all internal though so I don't think there's going to be huge driver progression at this point like you normally expect after a launch.

Metro 2033 for one is a TWIMTBP game that ATI didn't get to look over the code to tweak their drivers for till the game released. As it stands now the 480 is definitely comfortably faster in this game but it remains to be seen if this is because Nvidia had plenty of time to tweak their drivers for it and ATI didn't, or because the hardware is specifically better at this type of game engine.

This is actually what 'drivers maturing' is btw.. individual tweaks to games. For the most part release drivers don't improve in speed overall that much, it's just so many individual game tweaks especially to benchmarking games that it seems the drivers are maturing.

• gauge2k3gauge2k3 Member Posts: 442

NVIDIA realized AMD/ATI was falling out and would collapse soon, they were way ahead, so they decided to take a nap, much like the rabbit in the race against the turtle.

AMD/ATI realized theyw ould have to do something big and fast or give up.  So they did something big and fast.  The turtle struggled justt hat much faster.

When NVIDIA (the rabbit) awoke from his nap, he realized the turtle had passed him in his sleep.  He knows now that he will have to run extra fast to catch up.

I have never used anything but an NVIDIA card until the 4870 HD.  The new NVIDIA cards are shamefull in comparison to the sterling examples in the past.  To throw as much garbage as you can to ensure you have 2 fps more than the competition....just shamefull.  I'm glad that real computer builders won't fall for this.

Originally posted by rivalz

:D

Avery, I don't know where are you getting those prices from, in europe 5970 costs only 30 € more than 480 and there's plenty of stock.

Avery, I don't know where are you getting those prices from, in europe 5970 costs only 30 € more than 480 and there's plenty of stock.

Back here from November: http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/259964/AMD-Radeon-HD-5970.html

They were like $700CAD I mentioned in the thread about being 5 day wait to be in stock but it never happened.

This is the only one in stock coming in at $850 for with shipping and Tax to where I live.

You may be onto something I could probably order from EU and get it shipped over cheaper.

I don't know how the taxes go there but inside EU you can order from any country taxfree, I always order my stuff from Germany even when I live at Finland. 5970 price there seems kinda unbelievable, how can it be that much higher.

• charlespaynecharlespayne Member UncommonPosts: 381

Nice but id rather stick with my 5970 becouse it still out performs the GTX480, so until nvidia can over take it in speed im not gonna bother with nvidia.

• mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269

Does anyone here from the UK buy their parts from Europe? I understand there should be no extra taxes or duty but does that actually work in practice? Also what sites do you use? My experience largely reflects that of avery with regard to availabilty and price in the UK. I have found the 5970 for £790 but with the 480@ £450 that's a big jump. Alternatively any links from UK retailers with the 5970 in stock at a decent price? No dodgy looking places, prefereably known or retailers you've used would be nice.

Thanks muchly

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”