Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Core 2 Quad vs I7's

RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444

Are the Q9000 series of Core 2 Quad's still viable proc's with the affordability that the I7 procs now have?

In War - Victory.
In Peace - Vigilance.
In Death - Sacrifice.

Comments

• dfandfan Member Posts: 362

As a whole new system, not.

As a cpu upgrade, yes.

• HarabeckHarabeck Member Posts: 616

Go with the i7 920, then overclock as desired. Not much reason to go anything else.

• britzbanbritzban Member UncommonPosts: 260

yes, they are still good cpus to have.  Games are GPU based nowadays so a cheap quad is sufficient if you don't have the money to upgrade your entire pc.  If you are looking to upgrade your processor, you will mostly likely need a new mobo to support the core i7, and then possibly newer memory.     I have a friend that is running dual core still and just bought a sick ass graphics card and he can max out anything there is and get good frames.   

• TheHatterTheHatter Member Posts: 2,547

If you had the choice, would you buy a 2005 model car or would you buy the 2010 model for almost the same price?

• xaldraxiusxaldraxius Member Posts: 1,249

Originally posted by TheHatter
    If you had the choice, would you buy a 2005 model car or would you buy the 2010 model for almost the same price?

Depends. I'd do some research and see which model had the better specs, horsepower, torque...etc. Then I'd look at milage and price.

Newer doesn't equal better in many cases.

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444

I'm definitely going with an I7.  It's just that when I was browsing Newegg.  That popped up on one of the pages.  I don't really game near as much as I use to.  So more or less I might end up with the I7-920.  A SSD for the primary drive hosting the OS (Win 7 64-Bit professional).  Secondary drive probably a 1 TB drive, for hosting all non-OS items.  A nice 8gig of ram.  If I do go with the SSD probably push that up to 16, and just turn off Virtual Memory. Still a bit up in the air about video card.  I was thinking maybe a GTX 295 (sorry I don't do ATI cards anymore, don't care how fast they are). Also been tossing around idea of going with Blu-Ray drive instead of usual DVD drive.  Not too sure about that one though.  I only own two Blu-Ray movies (just don't get the hype with HD movies), and not like my PS3 doesn't have me covered there.

Edit: Right now the only games I play are:

Dragon Age Origins - the mods keep bringing me back lol

Mass Effect 2 - grats Bioware another homerun

Granada Espada - my little guilty pleasure (sGE all the way)

Fallout 3 - same as Dragon Age Origins, damn those evil mods

In the future:

Star Wars Old Republic - can't wait

Final Fantasy XIV - SS ruined the single player FF line but FFXI was great so XIV will probably be to (I hope)

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• XerithXerith Member Posts: 970

If you want to see how the I7's performed compared to other models, just look at how fast their price dropped. The I7's only offered around 5% more processing power in general than the I5's but for a much higher price tag. Core 2 Quad and I5 quad do not differ all that much either, the I5's might run slightly cooler and hold an overclock a little more stable, but in general they are not that much better.

The biggest problem is if you want to go from Core 2 to the I series, you will need to replace your motherboard, and most likely have to swap out DDR2 ram for DDR3 ram, and DDR3 ram is not cheap.

• VooDoo_PapaVooDoo_Papa Member UncommonPosts: 897

Originally posted by Roin

Are the Q9000 series of Core 2 Quad's still viable proc's with the affordability that the I7 procs now have?

The Core2 Quads are very overpriced, then again the i7's above the 930 are way overpriced as well. 

When talking about quad core intel CPU's, most people will suggest getting the i7 920 or the i5 750.  Either of those will destroy the Q9650 and are considerably cheaper than the Q9650.  Personally, the best bang for the buck intel cpu overall is the i5 750

Originally posted by VooDoo_Papa

The Core2 Quads are very overpriced, then again the i7's above the 930 are way overpriced as well. 

When talking about quad core intel CPU's, most people will suggest getting the i7 920 or the i5 750.  Either of those will destroy the Q9650 and are considerably cheaper than the Q9650.  Personally, the best bang for the buck intel cpu overall is the i5 750

hmm I never considered the I5-750.  As it stands now it's the I7-920, going to do some reading up on the I5 though.  Thanks for the info.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

just make sure whatever intel cpu you use support direct cache access (mobo and network card also have to be dca ready!

aside from that small hickup any cpu that fit in you system is fine .

i7?the old one or this month one?

(6 core)

old i7 were too expensive for what you got !if you find an older one that fit your system with dca support your better off

with the older one

only buy new i7 if you plan to change your old corvette for a new ferrary (figure of speach)

• TheHatterTheHatter Member Posts: 2,547

Originally posted by xaldraxius

Originally posted by TheHatter

Depends. I'd do some research and see which model had the better specs, horsepower, torque...etc. Then I'd look at milage and price.

Newer doesn't equal better in many cases.

More often than not, the newer model has more saftey features, better gas efficiency, and a cleaner look.

• KyntorKyntor Member Posts: 280

Absolutely, the i5 750 is a very good CPU.  Another good CPU (as long as you don't mind AMD) that is comparable to the i5 750 is the Phenom II X4 965.  It is pretty close on price and performance.

"Those who dislike things based only on the fact that they are popular are just as shallow and superficial as those who only like them for the same reason."

Originally posted by Kyntor

Absolutely, the i5 750 is a very good CPU.  Another good CPU (as long as you don't mind AMD) that is comparable to the i5 750 is the Phenom II X4 965.  It is pretty close on price and performance.

Haven't looked at AMD in a long long long long time now.  Do their CPUs have features similar to the I5/I7 procs.  Like Turbo Boost or SpeedStep?

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

Haven't looked at AMD in a long long long long time now.  Do their CPUs have features similar to the I5/I7 procs.  Like Turbo Boost or SpeedStep?

no, they dont.  However, the 965 black edition does run pretty close to the i5 750 in almost all benchmarks even without any sort of turbo tech (which increases performance on non threaded games/apps)

This site is awesome for comparing CPU's.  Ive linked the AMD 965 black edition vs. the i5 750 (you'll even see a WoW comparison toward the bottom)

From everything Ive read though, the new phenon ii x6 processors will have similiar technologies to the opteron.  Meaning its going to have its own form of turbo boost for non-threaded apps.  These processors are due out in late April

Heres a clip from the rumor mill:

Phenom II X6 Six Core

1090T Black Edition: 125(W), AM3 Socket, 9MB Cache, 3.2 GHz Freq @ 295 USD

1055T: 125(W), AM3 Socket, 9MB Cache, 2.8 GHz Freq @ 199 USD

Id be willing to bet the 1055t will outperform the i5 750

If you cant tell, ya im in the same boat as you are  :)  I have an intel LGA 755 chipset with an E8400 and was tossing around upgrade ideas.  I pretty much concluded to wait until AMD's new Phenom ii X6 chips hit the retailers before upgrading.  By the sounds of it, I'll be able to upgrade to one of those with a new AM3 motherboard for the same price that I planned on spending for the i5 750.  Its just a matter of waiting to see which one is really the smarter purchase.

amd the short of it no!

i tend to favor intel tho !why?one very insane feature

direct cache access !so far i dont believe amd support this feature (but i could be wrong!

no, they dont.  However, the 965 black edition does run pretty close to the i5 750 in almost all benchmarks even without any sort of turbo tech (which increases performance on non threaded games/apps)

This site is awesome for comparing CPU's.  Ive linked the AMD 965 black edition vs. the i5 750 (you'll even see a WoW comparison toward the bottom)

From everything Ive read though, the new phenon ii x6 processors will have similiar technologies to the opteron.  Meaning its going to have its own form of turbo boost for non-threaded apps.  These processors are due out in late April and reportedly run on current AM2 motherboards (not sure if they will /fully/ support turbo boost etc. but the chips will function)

Phenom II X6 Six Core

Id be willing to bet the 1055t will outperform the i5 750, even more so on a new AM3 motherboard. 

If you cant tell, ya im in the same boat as you are  :)  I have an intel LGA 755 chipset with an E8400 and was tossing around upgrade ideas.  I pretty much concluded to wait until AMD's new Phenom ii X6 chips hit the retailers before upgrading.  By the sounds of it, I'll be able to upgrade to one of those with a new AM3 motherboard for the same price that I planned on spending for the i5 750.  Its just a matter of waiting to see which one is really the smarter purchase.

i guess you did intentionally compared it to intel mid chip since they annouced the 2010 i7 (6 core )

or is already out !32 nm vs 40 !

mm im sorry but intel will be faster or similar and run way cooler(can you say overclocking)

its sad but intel as 1 year advance to amd and news aint good for amd

since intel is already manufacturing memory chip on a 25 nm process .

if you take a similar speed amd and intel i think you can have similar price and get support for dca from intel

Originally posted by drbaltazar

From everything Ive read though, the new phenon ii x6 processors will have similiar technologies to the opteron.  Meaning its going to have its own form of turbo boost for non-threaded apps.  These processors are due out in late April and reportedly run on current AM2 motherboards (not sure if they will /fully/ support turbo boost etc. but the chips will function)

Phenom II X6 Six Core

Id be willing to bet the 1055t will outperform the i5 750, even more so on a new AM3 motherboard. 

i guess you did intentionally compared it to intel mid chip since they annouced the 2010 i7 (6 core )

or is already out !32 nm vs 40 !

mm im sorry but intel will be faster or similar and run way cooler(can you say overclocking)

its sad but intel as 1 year advance to amd and news aint good for amd

since intel is already manufacturing memory chip on a 25 nm process .

if you take a similar speed amd and intel i think you can have similar price and get support for dca from intel

Im comparing the two because thats what the discussion is about.  I hope not to turn it into an intel vs. AMD pissing contest because thats not what this discussion is for.

Lets talk about 6 core chips when they hit the retailers, until then my point still stands. In case you missed it, the point was that you could purchase an AMD chip right now that performs as well as an i5 750 *edit* for the same price and that i7s above the 930 are severely over piced. (please see page 1)