Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking to upgrade my video card

ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Right now I have a NVIDIA GeForce GT 240 1GB memory video card and I'm not looking to sepnd for one of those top of the lines because I don't need to have the best card. I also have a 700w power supply to work with. What do you guys suggest ? ATI or Nvidia it does not matter.

Comments

• viddsterviddster Member UncommonPosts: 220

We really need to know how much you want to spend on it, are you going for a cheap card or a more substantial DX11 card that will last longer?

The ATI 5800 series is a good buy all round but NVidia have released the 400 series, which the 470 is good value if you are willing to wait a while to get one.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

$200-$250 max if it is really a good product that will last me a long time.

• dfandfan Member Posts: 362

Radeon 5770.

• jdedeauxjdedeaux Member Posts: 88

Originally posted by dfan

Radeon 5770.

/end thread.

Exactly

There is nothing DX11 for NVidia..Yet.. So dont go buy a 300 series for +200 just because you want something more powerful but not willing to wait for a 400 series.

The 5770 is a lower power consuming beast of a card. I have it, and plan to get a second one to XFIRE it, its CHEAP too.

If you are willing to wait...Wait for the 400s to come down and buy a 5800 series when ATI is forced to make their prices competitive, rather than overpriced due to no market competition. 

Nvidia always has fluff though such as CUDA and PHYSX,. but if you don't have it in the first place...how are u going to miss it?

think about it.

Originally posted by dfan

Radeon 5770.

+1 here too, you cannot buy a better card for the $150 price range.

How does the 5770 compare to the 5830 ?

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Originally posted by SaintViktor

I would suggest you do some homework as video card manufacturers often make upgraded drivers to meet demands for certain games.So if there si a certain game you have in mind,see witch one has catered to that game,of course only the real popular games are looked at.

Thing i have found when comes to sites posting specs and numbers is that it is never too accurate,numbers can vary in every single game from zone to zone and often large variances in the same zone.The bottom line is that unless you make a huge leap in video card lines,you will notice a VERY small improvement in actual gaming.

Here is a little something you might want to look at....The reason ATI was always behind Nvidia was because they were so slow on driver support and this seems to still be true.

I will post the driver update for NVIDIA and then tell you that ATI conveniently updated their driver right after,but sounds more fake,like they really did not do anything in the update excpet address slow support issues for Windows 7,where as Nvidia is supporting games.

QUOTE"....

New in Version 197.13

* Adds support for Next Generation ION.

* Adds support for GeForce GT 320, GeForce GT 330, and GeForce GT 340.

* Upgrades PhysX System Software to version 9.10.0129.

* Upgrades HD Audio driver to version 1.0.9.1 (for supported GPUs).

* Increases performance in several PC games from v196.21 WHQL. The following are examples of measured improvements. Results will vary depending on your GPU and system configuration:

* Up to 13% performance increase in Crysis: Warhead with a single GPU

* Up to 30% performance increase in Crysis: Warhead with SLI technology

* Up to 13% performance increase in H.A.W.X with single GPU

* Up to 15% performance increase in H.A.W.X with SLI technology

* Up to 30% performance increase in Left 4 Dead with single GPU

* Up to 28% performance increase in Left 4 Dead with SLI technology

* Adds SLI and multi-GPU support for top new gaming titles including Assassin Creed II, Battlefield: Bad Company 2, Command and Conquer 4: Tiberium Twilight, Grand Theft Auto IV: Episodes from Liberty City, Mass Effect 2, Napoleon: Total War, and Zombie Driver.

* Enhanced SLI support for Metro 2033, Supreme Commander 2, Unigine, and World of Warcraft

* Adds Ambient Occlusion support for Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood, Need for Speed: Shift, Resident Evil 5, RUSE, and Street Fighter IV.

* Adds override anti-aliasing support for Mass Effect 2.

* Includes numerous bug fixes. Refer to the release notes on the documentation tab for information about the key bug fixes in this release.

* Users without US English operating systems can select their language and download the International driver here.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Oh yeah? And when did 196.21 come out? Oops, it was January.

Like you said, please make some research.

• jdedeauxjdedeaux Member Posts: 88

Originally posted by Wizardry

I would suggest you do some homework as video card manufacturers often make upgraded drivers to meet demands for certain games.So if there si a certain game you have in mind,see witch one has catered to that game,of course only the real popular games are looked at.

Thing i have found when comes to sites posting specs and numbers is that it is never too accurate,numbers can vary in every single game from zone to zone and often large variances in the same zone.The bottom line is that unless you make a huge leap in video card lines,you will notice a VERY small improvement in actual gaming.

Here is a little something you might want to look at....The reason ATI was always behind Nvidia was because they were so slow on driver support and this seems to still be true.

I will post the driver update for NVIDIA and then tell you that ATI conveniently updated their driver right after,but sounds more fake,like they really did not do anything in the update excpet address slow support issues for Windows 7,where as Nvidia is supporting games.

QUOTE"....

New in Version 197.13

* Adds support for Next Generation ION.

* Adds support for GeForce GT 320, GeForce GT 330, and GeForce GT 340.

* Upgrades PhysX System Software to version 9.10.0129.

* Upgrades HD Audio driver to version 1.0.9.1 (for supported GPUs).

* Increases performance in several PC games from v196.21 WHQL. The following are examples of measured improvements. Results will vary depending on your GPU and system configuration:

* Up to 13% performance increase in Crysis: Warhead with a single GPU

* Up to 30% performance increase in Crysis: Warhead with SLI technology

* Up to 13% performance increase in H.A.W.X with single GPU

* Up to 15% performance increase in H.A.W.X with SLI technology

* Up to 30% performance increase in Left 4 Dead with single GPU

* Up to 28% performance increase in Left 4 Dead with SLI technology

* Adds SLI and multi-GPU support for top new gaming titles including Assassin Creed II, Battlefield: Bad Company 2, Command and Conquer 4: Tiberium Twilight, Grand Theft Auto IV: Episodes from Liberty City, Mass Effect 2, Napoleon: Total War, and Zombie Driver.

* Enhanced SLI support for Metro 2033, Supreme Commander 2, Unigine, and World of Warcraft

* Adds Ambient Occlusion support for Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood, Need for Speed: Shift, Resident Evil 5, RUSE, and Street Fighter IV.

* Adds override anti-aliasing support for Mass Effect 2.

* Includes numerous bug fixes. Refer to the release notes on the documentation tab for information about the key bug fixes in this release.

* Users without US English operating systems can select their language and download the International driver here.

Very well educated and researched post. 

Do note though.. NEVER upgrade your video card for a specific game solely. Upgrade for an upgrade, make your system more future proof.

If you upgrade for just one game, you're gonna be very disappointed in the end when you only upgraded for that game and you're burnt out or tired of that game, and you wish you would've gone further with a video card.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

keep your old one!wait for ati to release their new card !your card will do till the new ati get out (probably in september)

ati is still ahead even if they have been passed just remember one thing

all ati techno is 9 month old<nividia is brand new do you honestly believe ati were sleeping with these free month and huge pile of money going in !defenitly not !they have had lot of time to think through their next get card

so i bet even if they release only in september they ll end up ahead of nvidia .they are probably working to shrink to 32 nm their card and 9 month give them plenty of time to research that!

so wait keep the card you have use the igp (onboard one)if the 240 is burned ,and buy a new one in september or whenever

their new serie comes out!

How does the 5770 compare to the 5830 ?

They compare very similarly in most benchmarks, not much difference at all maybe 5% in most tests, and only that for a $70 extra price tag.

• KyntorKyntor Member Posts: 280

If you are going to upgrade right now, I would also suggest the Radeon 5770.  I have been seeing them advertised on sale for $140-$160.  However is you wait a month or two, you would probably see the Radeon 5850 down in the $200-$250 range.

"Those who dislike things based only on the fact that they are popular are just as shallow and superficial as those who only like them for the same reason."

I'm probably going to just wait until I see the 5830's and 5850's go down in price. I'm also going to keep an eye on Nvidia and see if they will have something affordable and comparable to the 5830 or 5850.

• docutzidocutzi Member Posts: 2

I really support Nvidia because their products always gave me a cool gaming experience and I really think that Nvidia graphic cards are the best on the market! I have Nvidia Geforce 9400GT 2GB memory ddr2 and I really love it!!!

• KyntorKyntor Member Posts: 280

?Originally posted by SaintViktor

I'm probably going to just wait until I see the 5830's and 5850's go down in price. I'm also going to keep an eye on Nvidia and see if they will have something affordable and comparable to the 5830 or 5850.

If you decide on the 5830, I would get the 5770 instead.  It is pretty close in performance and much cheaper.

"Those who dislike things based only on the fact that they are popular are just as shallow and superficial as those who only like them for the same reason."

Originally posted by docutzi

I really support Nvidia because their products always gave me a cool gaming experience and I really think that Nvidia graphic cards are the best on the market! I have Nvidia Geforce 9400GT 2GB memory ddr2 and I really love it!!!

• downtoearthdowntoearth Member Posts: 3,558

yea wait for the 5800 seris cards to go down in price i got another 4850 to crossfire sicne it was only 100 instead of 200-350 for a 5850 : )