Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Downloading now, looking for new friends

Hey all,

I have played this game once before when it first came out. Since I was still in high school when that happened, I'm pretty much a new player altogether. I'm downloading the trial version right now and I have every intent of subbing afterwords. Only an absolutely horrible trial experience can prevent me from doing so. That being said, I remember this game is not a solo game so I'm looking for people that play often that wouldn't mind pointing me in the right direction, or even new people such as myself to hunt with. It'd be nice to get into a linkshell and be with a group of active folks.

I play on Pacific time and can play pretty often. I just want to get in, envelop myself in the story and kill some foes notorious to the final fantasy series. Currently I have no idea what job I want to be, in WoW I was a tank and a caster and since I'm done with WoW I also want to try a new style. I have no doubts in my mind I want to be a melee dps type job. I initially wanted to be a DRK but after researching while downloading it seems that they're being passed up for other jobs. I remember last time I played FFXI I was a dragoon and a thief, (I don't think I made it past 40 something on either) I want to try something new from that as well.

How would a Samurai work? Maybe start off as a Monk and work my way to Samurai? Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to go through the game leveling a Monk only to find that I should have leveled a warrior for the subjob!

Anyways, I'm downloading now. I hope to join in instantly with a group of cool folks that wouldn't mind someone like me to hunt with or ask a ton of questions.

Comments

• sXeSasquatchsXeSasquatch Member Posts: 37

Well I just finished installing FFXI and PlayOnline. I updated PlayOnline but after it restarts and I try to move on I get:

Error Code: POL - 1403

Some problems occured on this specified page. Cannot view page.

What's up?

Edit: Well after a couple more tries to register my PlayOnline thing it turns out they're doing maintenance. I was hoping to be able to download updates/patches while I slept. Anyone know how long this maintenance goes for?

• PantherninpoPantherninpo Member UncommonPosts: 90

Hey. 

I am not sure about the patching and whatever.  I bought my copy off steam, launched it through steam, and it did all the updating for me.  In any case, I am a level 6 red mage on Diabolos with the intentions of going samurai as well.  As I understand it, the main samurai weapon is the katana and great katana, so I didn't see how I needed to specify a particular starter job since none of the others can level those weapons.   My subjob is also not going to be a beginner class.  I picked red mage to heal, do a little damage, etc..  In any case, I am Onikudaki there.  If you want to play when you see me on, let me know.

• taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352

Originally posted by Pantherninpo

Hey. 

I am not sure about the patching and whatever.  I bought my copy off steam, launched it through steam, and it did all the updating for me.  In any case, I am a level 6 red mage on Diabolos with the intentions of going samurai as well.  As I understand it, the main samurai weapon is the katana and great katana, so I didn't see how I needed to specify a particular starter job since none of the others can level those weapons.   My subjob is also not going to be a beginner class.  I picked red mage to heal, do a little damage, etc..  In any case, I am Onikudaki there.  If you want to play when you see me on, let me know.

SAM uses Great Katana and Polearm, Ninja uses Katana. To get the SAM job you will need to do a Quest that involves killing a level ~30 ish Notrious Monster. You will also need access to Norg which is located on the Elshimo Island and you need an Airship pass to Kazahm to get there (also a Quest).

Basically, you can't just start leveling SAM. You will need to level one of the basic jobs first. WAR is a good sub job for SAM in the early levels and it is a job that gets invites without too much problems.

Your choice of Red Mage will do nothing for your SAM career other than use it as a sub job for WAR to heal youself while soloing.

WAR/MNK or MNK/WAR are really the way to go if you aspire a Damage Dealer career (Samurai, Ninja etc.)

Of cause, the nature of FFXI is that you can level any job you want and use any combination of main/sub-job you want.

Enjoy

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"