Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do console gamers like mmos ?

ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

More and more developers want their games on the console because for the most part it is an untapped market for mmos and presents less competition for developers to make money. Companies like Cryptic (Champions Online), Undead Labs (unannounced zombie mmo), CCP(Dust514) and Turbine(unannounced mmo) all working on console mmos. Would a console gamer rather play a mmo instead of a popular shooter ? I'm glad eventually more mmos will be coming to the console but I'm not sure many console gamers accept the way mmos work. What do you guys think ?

Comments

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

There will be plenty of console gamers that will at least try an MMO. I enjoy console gaming myself but I prefer them mainly for sports games. When it comes to shooters and MMOs I stick with my PC.

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• ChealarChealar Member Posts: 268

Yes!

I like both MMOs and console games. It's not the same thing. In one you just want a sotry or a bit of fighting by yourself. You go in an MMO to connect to others (even if only in the form of show-off your level). They are not incompatible, just different.

• reimarureimaru Member Posts: 228

same here, but for now, some developers think that putting mmos on the consoles are risky, but with a good gameplay and online support, it'll gonna be successful

some potentials like monster hunter, phantasy star, final fantasy

• BrownTINGBrownTING Member Posts: 20

I would love a real MMORPG on the 360.  I am a 360 addict love it!  There are no true mmos though, we have the xbl games which are just not playable in my prefer gaming style.  Also it has 1 vs 100 cool idea and is fun but not a mmorpg.  Anything that comes out 360 wise let me know, i'll be the first to pre-order it.

Mike

• reimarureimaru Member Posts: 228

well if a game can support both offline and online modes, console gmaers would like it as they have the option to choose

• fliprabbitfliprabbit Member Posts: 5

I like both but they're two different worlds for me. I basically play MMOs to hang out with my friends, but I mostly play console games. I only end up liking quest based MMOs because they resemble console games. Like, right now I'm playing Wonderking...it has plenty of quests to choose from so I can relate to it a bit more than PvP or dance MMOs.

Maybe making a game that can sustain both single and multiplayer gameplay would bridge the two together.

Remember, Monster Hunter is still pretty popular. :)

• PedrobPedrob Member UncommonPosts: 172
    Originally posted by reimaru

well if a game can support both offline and online modes, console gmaers would like it as they have the option to choose

That defies the whole purpose of being a MMO, not to mention it would give an advantage to console users over PC users that don't have that option.

And then comes the 2nd problem with MMO's in consoles, at least for xbox users, double fee, you have to pay for your Live, and then for the monthly fee of the MMO.

• spirit007spirit007 Member Posts: 20

I was going to comment on how I as a console gamer totally love MMOs but then I realized that it's been over 5 months since I even touched a console.

So as an exconsole player, I'd say yep, we totally like MMOs...

• AkaJetsonAkaJetson Member Posts: 1,167

Yes i enjoy the odd MMO, though I haven't found one to play consistently in ages.

?

• enzymeenzyme Member UncommonPosts: 464

I discovered MMOs through console gaming. Everquest Online Adventures and Phantasy Star Online.

EQOA was my first mmo love, and since that game I have been a fan of the genre. I later went on to play the PC versions and then played just about every other mmo out there.

Current Games:

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by enzyme

I discovered MMOs through console gaming. Everquest Online Adventures and Phantasy Star Online.

EQOA was my first mmo love, and since that game I have been a fan of the genre. I later went on to play the PC versions and then played just about every other mmo out there.

Same EQOA really was one of my first MMO loves on ps2. I was a console gamer through and through up until about 02, at that point I tried quite a few MMO's both on PC and console, finally finding my first long term home in SWG in 03.

The way things are going now, I may be moving back to console only. As consoles are finding more interesting ways in using multiplayer functionality. I'm actually quite surprised by this. As I thought it would have been the other way around back then.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• enzymeenzyme Member UncommonPosts: 464

Originally posted by Malickie

Same EQOA really was one of my first MMO loves on ps2. I was a console gamer through and through up until about 02, at that point I tried quite a few MMO's both on PC and console, finally finding my first long term home in SWG in 03.

The way things are going now, I may be moving back to console only. As consoles are finding more interesting ways in using multiplayer functionality. I'm actually quite surprised by this. As I thought it would have been the other way around back then.

I had a few friends at the time that were playing Everquest, and I really had no idea what it was, all I knew was that my pc just couldn't run it. I ended up moving and had a lot of time on my hands while looking for work. So I picked up the original EQOA and played it religiously, at the time a 9.99 sub per month was a lot cheaper than buying 1 brand new game a month (from an unemployed console gamer pov). it was just so different from everything else I ever played, it blew me away. Eventually upgraded to EQOA: Frontiers, then started working.

Once I was able to get a more up to date PC I went and picked up SWG, and it just kept snowballing from there, from Ultima to Wow, I just loved the genre overall.

Consoles have their place as do PCs, I try to read as many reviews as I can nowadays due to little time to game, and I try to go with the better version of the game. I think Sony can justify an MMO on the PS3 simply based on the fact that they don't charge for their online service vs. Microsoft. I think gamers would find the costs easier to swallow. XBL - 50 bucks + 60 for the game + 15 per month sub fee. Sub fees on console games I think scare some people away still.

Current Games:

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

Most I encounter seem to.  Know I do as well.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.