Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PLZ help on how to upgrade my pc?

skeith138skeith138 Member Posts: 176

being thinking that i should upgrade my PC or just get a new one instead. 

well anyways my spec are:

CPU                 =  Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6300 @ 1.86GHz

CPU SPEED  = 1.87 GHz Performance Rated at: 3.2725 GHz

RAM                 =  2.0 GB

OS                    =  Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (build 2600)

VIDEO CARD  =  GeForce 7900 GS

Video RAM     = 256.0 MB

3D                   = YES

Hardware T&L = YES

DIRECT X VERSION =  9.0c

SOUND CARD =  Realtek High Definition Audio

FREE DISK SPACE =  124.3 GB( out of 224GB)

so any suggestion on if i should upgrade my graphic card? ram? OS? etc or should should just get another PC?

and i'm pretty new on computers( got it for Bday as a give)

seens the new games are requiring higher requirements i'm being wondering if i would be abel to play them a year from now.

PST: didn't want to make the post long

Comments

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

In my opinion a new comp, upgrading that would be throwing good money after bad IMO. You don't state what the Mobo is but I'll guess it's an older lga775. New mobo, new PSU, new CPU, new HD, new RAM, new OS could keep the GPU until you have the cash if you are tight for cash.

I'd say if you're on a budget get an AM3 board, Phenom II X3 720 BE, 4 GB of RAM, Win 7, PSU good name at about 6 - 700 watts, HD good name 500GB+, get a nice tower like an antec or something, any cash left get a HD 5770 GPU.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Originally posted by skeith138

OS                    =  Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (build 2600)

Video RAM     = 256.0 MB

Hardware T&L = YES

DIRECT X VERSION =  9.0c

so any suggestion on if i should upgrade my graphic card? ram? OS? etc or should should just get another PC?

seens the new games are requiring higher requirements i'm being wondering if i would be abel to play them a year from now.

Well, without more detailed information(AGP/PCI-E(video card port), power supply(out put), mother board(what ports supported and max ram) its difficult to make a solid analysis.  But both the CPU and the video card(GPU) have seen better days.  Normally, a new GPU would help, but unless your mother board supports PCI-E, you are likely out of luck(the current card may be whats known as AGP, which is one of the older port standards). 

Not to mention that many of the current video cards are quite power hungry, so a good power supply is a must for stability.  Given that your target is games a year from now, I'd say you would be best served to purchase a new system.  Check some place like tiger direct or new egg. They usually have good deals on much better systems.  You can usually find a quad core(2.4 to 2.6 per core) system with a PCI-E video card(at least 512 ram) for a decent amount.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • krakkenkrakken Member Posts: 200

Video RAM     = 256.0 MB

Hardware T&L = YES

DIRECT X VERSION =  9.0c

buy a new pc.

if you don't have the cash for a new pc you can check if your mobo can handle a quadcore with a lga775 socket and upgrade your video card, but i don't think this is very useful. you better save the cash for a complete new pc.

• SanguinelustSanguinelust Member UncommonPosts: 812

Sounds like new PC time, that's what I would do if I had your system. The money, time, and energy wasted to upgrade what you have would not be worth it in my opinion.

• cvettecvette Member UncommonPosts: 82

I would also go with a new PC, But not untill you find a game you really like.Best off to buy it a month or 2 before you plan on buying the game (open Beta or something). In a year from now the cost and tech will change a lot.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

op?check to see if your actual system support direct cache access (might need just an intel network card that support it)

if your mobo support it and your cpu?if they do indead support it keep the system you have add 2 gig of ram and your good

for game of 2010(no dx11,but i have yet to find a cool dx10 game so imagine a dx11.completelly uselless.)

i see now that my e-pen is bigger then your factor made me baught my new system.

i shouldnt have!

wont be easy to find this info since intel didnt deem it important to mention it this mobo,cpu,network card supported dca

so you might have to dig(i think it should support dca ,but check just in case)

dont know if xp support dca but it should since lot of industry still use xp

its mostly gamer that are going w7(true the list of gamer going w7 64 bit is big lol

w7 64 bit number will be bigger then xp before cataclysm is released!

dca support for cpu,mobo = a yes then upgrade network card and add 2 gig of ram

optional :if you plan to upgrade say in a year or so might be a good idea to buy a ssd

since they are fairly inexpensive to buy you ll speed up your system more with this then any other piece of gear 

at least for the released game .and ssd are good to port to your futur newer system

so its not lost buy the newest you can afford last i check they all work on pcie1 even if they are rated pcie3

• KyntorKyntor Member Posts: 280

If you want to be able to run current and future (up to 1 year) at high to ultra settings, you definately need to purchase a new system.  However, if you are a little strapped for cash and don't mind medium to medium/high settings, I would recommend another route.

If you purchased another 2 GB of RAM, a Radeon HD 5770, and a PSU (if needed), you could probably get through the nest year to year-and-a-half at medium settings (at least).  You could probably purchase these for $200 to $250 depending on if a PSU is needed.  When this newly upgraded system starts to get old you could then upgrade your motherboard, cpu, RAM, harddrive, and operating system.  You would only really lose the 2 GB of RAM you purchased for your current motherboard.

As always, don't upgrade your computer until you must.  Components only get better and cheaper with time.

"Those who dislike things based only on the fact that they are popular are just as shallow and superficial as those who only like them for the same reason."

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

Depends on how much cash you want to spend.

IMO if you have the money, know how and are willing. Then build a new PC. You can shop around and get some steals on hardware nowdays.

But if your money is limited then do a little research on you current system. Like what Mobo you have, what processors are compatable with it, Pci-e or AGP video on it, Ram type and amount it will hold, ect, ect. IMO if its an AGP video board then you need a new one.

Then at least you can make an informed decision on what needs to be done. Chances are you can upgrade the processor to something decent, add more RAM and if its PCI-E video then a decent video card.  ( power supply may need replacing). Doing this should yeild a decent mid range computer.

Google is your friend. Make liberal use of all he has to offer and the decision will be easy =)

Originally posted by Kyntor

If you want to be able to run current and future (up to 1 year) at high to ultra settings, you definately need to purchase a new system.  However, if you are a little strapped for cash and don't mind medium to medium/high settings, I would recommend another route.

If you purchased another 2 GB of RAM, a Radeon HD 5770, and a PSU (if needed), you could probably get through the nest year to year-and-a-half at medium settings (at least).  You could probably purchase these for $200 to $250 depending on if a PSU is needed.  When this newly upgraded system starts to get old you could then upgrade your motherboard, cpu, RAM, harddrive, and operating system.  You would only really lose the 2 GB of RAM you purchased for your current motherboard.

As always, don't upgrade your computer until you must.  Components only get better and cheaper with time.

One possible problem is that that ATI card is PCI-E and their mother board may not support it. More would have to be known about the mother board(might be maxed out at 2 gigs memory).

• skeith138skeith138 Member Posts: 176

actually. i'm able to still play top games like (which so far i purchase) aion,C&C4( which totaly suxs and want my money back),far cry (medium setting), F.E.A.R, LEFT FOR DEAD, AND BAD COMPANY 2. NOT SURE IF MAYBE I SHOULD JUST upgrade my graphic card till i have money to buy a new comp.

edit*= not all of them in high settings though but enough that i don't lag in a big place with lots of people.

• jagd1jagd1 Member Posts: 281

What is the main use for pc ? Which games are you playing ? get the everest and find your motherboard and if vga slot is agp or pci-e http://www.lavalys.com/products.php?ps=UE⟨=en&page=1

CPU TYPE = Dualcore intel core 2 Dou E6300, 1866 Mhz (7 x 267)

Motherboard name = Asus P5BW-LA (buckeye) (3 PCI, 1 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR2 DIMM,Audio,

Video, LAN, IEEE-1394

Motherboard Chipset= Intel  broadwater  G965

thats what i got from everest? under motherboard?

to answer the other question. yeah i want 2 know if my comp would still be able to handle games 1 or 2 years from now like

FFXIV, APB,SWTOR. being playing wow seens 06 and quit in 09 cuz it became a spamfest with returns. anyways just started playing global agenda trial and seems that i don't get no lag xcept when loading but gameplay is fine with no lag.

CPU TYPE = Dualcore intel core 2 Dou E6300, 1866 Mhz (7 x 267)

Motherboard name = Asus P5BW-LA (buckeye) (3 PCI, 1 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR2 DIMM,Audio,

Video, LAN, IEEE-1394

Motherboard Chipset= Intel  broadwater  G965

thats what i got from everest? under motherboard?

to answer the other question. yeah i want 2 know if my comp would still be able to handle games 1 or 2 years from now like

FFXIV, APB,SWTOR. being playing wow seens 06 and quit in 09 cuz it became a spamfest with returns. anyways just started playing global agenda trial and seems that i don't get no lag xcept when loading but gameplay is fine with no lag.

Ok, that changes things in your favor. First I'd get a new video card with at least 512meg.  Check your power supply and make sure that it has the leads and the capacity.  You might want to consider getting windows 7 and another 2(or more) gigs of ram(it looks like that MoB supports up to 8).   You might also want to check on replacing your CPU with a Q6600 quad core.   Hope that helps.

• noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170

It's a tough call, every part of your PC is bare minimum. If you want to keep your PC I totally agree with Wraithone, get a new GPU for sure probably a Radeon 4850 or 5770 depending on budget, and probably 2GB more of DDR2 Ram (you can probably get good deal on used) because MMO's love to gobble up ram.

From there you will have to see how your CPU is holding up, I'd probably OC the CPU until you can replace it, I'd try to get an E8400 (dual core) or Q8400 (quad core) both around $160.

So you can definitely piecemeal it up to a decent rig but keep in mind the RAM and CPU upgrade are dead end upgrades because DDR2 and Socket 775 are phased out so your next upgrade in a few years would have to replace mobo, CPU and ram all at once.

Also if you just upgrade your graphics card until you save up for a new prebuilt computer that's a good way to go because you'll have a lot more options of cheap prebuilt computers that you can put your video card into instead of getting completely overcharged on a prebuilt with a video card already in it.

Thought luck ,it is HP pavillion from info i gathered from google.

1-Cpu upgrad is not possible with g965 version mobo ,it only supports 6*00 series core2duo cpus.

2-It does not OC (if you could it would help a lot)

3-PSU is probably another limiting factor .

Give us model number ( media center a1640/1641/1642x etc) to be sure.

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462
    From This

CPU = Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6300 @ 1.86GHz
    CPU SPEED = 1.87 GHz Performance Rated at: 3.2725 GHz
    RAM = 2.0 GB
    OS = Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (build 2600)
    VIDEO CARD = GeForce 7900 GS
    Video RAM = 256.0 MB
    3D = YES
    Hardware T&L = YES
    DIRECT X VERSION = 9.0c
    SOUND CARD = Realtek High Definition Audio
    FREE DISK SPACE = 124.3 GB( out of 224GB)

To This

CPU = Intel(R) Core(TM)Q9550 @ 2.86GHz

RAM = 4.0 GB
    OS = Windows 7 64Bit
    VIDEO CARD = ATI 5770
    Video RAM = 1024.0 MB
    DIRECT X VERSION = 11
    SOUND CARD = Sound Blaster Xi gamer version.
    FREE DISK SPACE = 124.3 GB( out of 224GB)

YOu may need use ebay dealer to find the Q9550 now. YOu'll need flash your motherboard bios before popping it in.

The ATI 5770 is got some muslce. It's as fast and the flagship of ATI's pervious GPU DX10 rang gfx cards for a awsome price.

It really is worth upgrading to Win 7 64bit, no need to be holding out on win xp, win 7 is solid OS and very well recieved by the Pc gaming commmunity.

It really is worth getting a stand alone sound card like and Sound Blaster Xi Fi. Their rivals Asus do some nice sound card too aimed at gamers that can do some EAX but not all, but most say they can't really notice any difference in games from when they used sound blaster X Fi. Getting one of these cards does make a difference in overall performance today's games.

On-board sound, though gotten very good for average user, still not the best choice for gamers as no near as good as sound data crunching as these stand alone sound cards aimed at gamers. Also the sound quality is noticeable over on-board in gaming.

If you only do a few things upgrading to 4gigs of ram is one of the upgrades that can make a bigger difference, and upgrade the to the ATI 5770, your current PSU will be fine for it, since it's use a lot less power than previous generations of graphic cards while still being more powerful.

Iammmo paragraphs please use them . Q9550 for what ? Motherboard does not support it .

k. from what i gather, my PC would be outdated by next year or 2 so rather i'll just save up for a new computer or so but the hign is what type of comp should i get then. heres a video i saw from ATOS:

which seems like a good choice. so i quess is how much should i upgrade( graphic card, etc,)? and could it hold me for a longer year? if i'll be able to play games like SWTOR, FFXIV, tera(saw the vid from beta and like it)?

and TY in advance for helping me and giving me a advice but if i would upgrade my PC i'll waste time trying to find the pieces.

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

You can find some really decent components on Newegg.com and tigerdirect.com for cheap.

If you know anything about building a pc ( or anyone that can help you )  I would suggest building one.

I just built a Quad core 2.4ghz amd 9750 machine as a 2nd comp for less than $ 500. Its nothing elite by any means but it does anything I need.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

op!what ever you do !make sure the system you plan to use or build support one thing

D.C.A=DIRECT CACHE ACCESS

i cannot put enough emphasis on this .it makes ton of diff.

if an intel doesnt support dca ,you are better off with a amd computer instead!will be cheapper for max performance

yah it would probably be best just to buy a new comp then. thxs for the help but i quess i'll look around for a decent one that can support higher end games like The Old Republic MMO and FFXIV but thxs all of u guys for the help.