Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My Wurm Experience

PhelimReaghPhelimReagh Member UncommonPosts: 682

After reading about this game, the idea of an online MMORPG where you hack a living out of the wilderness and shape the world as you go sounded great.

Reality, as is often the case, is far different.

I played about 1 hour total,

The game froze up on me 4 times.

I got lost and spent the hour wandering around, getting exhausted from walking 5 feet up an incline then rolling back down.

The solution I was offered was to commit suicide and start over.

Wurm.Delete

The concept is good, but this game is horribly, horribly executed both technically and in terms of tedious/pointless game mechanics. That probably explains why I saw maybe 3 people in that whole hour I played.

Comments

• ShpoShpo Member Posts: 3

That's a personal problem.  Never have I had Wurm crash my computer.

I got lost and spent the hour wandering around, getting exhausted from walking 5 feet up an incline then rolling back down.

The whole point of this game is that it is hard.  You shouldn't have wandered around like that, especially without food or water. Most of the area is inhabited forest, and any player who wanders too far into the forest will inevitably get lost.  Your lack of nurishment is what made you lose stamina so quickly.

The solution I was offered was to commit suicide and start over.

In this game, that is the best solution.  Since you just started there would have been no negative effects and it would have put you back at the starting area since you obviously had no idea where you were.

Wurm.Delete

The concept is good, but this game is horribly, horribly executed both technically and in terms of tedious/pointless game mechanics. That probably explains why I saw maybe 3 people in that whole hour I played.

Don't blame the game for your ignorance.  Frankly this is one of the best mmos I have ever played.  If it had more money and workers behind it this would definitely be one of the top mmos.  I also love how you said this game is tedious/pointless, because mmos ever are worth playing right? Just like every other game it is what you make it.  Yes this game does have a low population.  I'm not going to go into why it's like that because it's pretty obvious.  I'll give you a hint though, it's not because the game sucks.

Pro Tip: Before complaining on a forum about how bad a game is, actually learn someting about it first. Your post makes you look like an idiot because you have no idea what you are talking about.

l2p

• PhelimReaghPhelimReagh Member UncommonPosts: 682

Fanboys sure can get defensive, lol.

That was the other thing I encountered: the three people on were quiet as mice, except when I asked a question. Then they decided to have a little fun with the new guy. I'm sure that serves to strengthen the bond between those already there and established, making the game harder for new folks.

Seems like a counter-productive way to build a community for a game, though.

From their actions and your response, it's clear that 1 hour invested in that game was too much.

• TheStarheartTheStarheart Member Posts: 368
    Originally posted by PhelimReagh

That was the other thing I encountered: the three people on were quiet as mice, except when I asked a question. Then they decided to have a little fun with the new guy. I'm sure that serves to strengthen the bond between those already there and established, making the game harder for new folks.
    From their actions and your response, it's clear that 1 hour invested in that game was too much.

sounds like you're crying because you don't have a reliable set-up and people were mean to you.

Originally posted by TheStarheart

sounds like you're crying because you don't have a reliable set-up and people were mean to you.

So I can run all sorts of other MMOs and raid and whatnot on this poor setup, yet it's "unreliable"? Yes, that's probably what it is. My system can't run one game, so it's got to be my fault, lol.

As I said before, fanboys sure can get defensive.

• TheStarheartTheStarheart Member Posts: 368

So I can run all sorts of other MMOs and raid and whatnot on this poor setup, yet it's "unreliable"? Yes, that's probably what it is. My system can't run one game, so it's got to be my fault, lol.

I don't even play this game.

"I played about 1 hour total" is enough for anyone to spot a troll.

I don't even play this game.

"I played about 1 hour total" is enough for anyone to spot a troll.

So try playing the game for 1 hour. You'll see what I mean.

1 hour to accomplish nothing but experience pointless, counter-intuitive or pointless mechanics, terrible graphics, technical problems, almost no other players, and those that were there were fairly anti-soical hermits.

If you need more than an hour of that to recognize a bad game, enjoy the ride on the short bus.

• ShpoShpo Member Posts: 3

Fanboy?  Sorry for liking a mmorpg with an original idea unlike all the others that just try to beat WoW.  I didn't think that calling out on your ignorance with this game would come off as fanboyism.  I only played this game for a couple months early on in 2009, and I must say it was the most wonderful experience I've ever had with a mmorpg.  I really don't see anything majorly wrong with this game, and I also don't see how I can be considered a fanboy since I've played Runescape longer than this game.  Also the game crashing on you is definitely not the game's fault.  Like I've said it has never crashed on me, and the rig I was using back then was a pos.

• batolemaeusbatolemaeus Member CommonPosts: 2,061

If you need more than an hour of that to recognize a bad game, enjoy the ride on the short bus.

The fact alone that you come to an internet forum to cry about how mean a game has been to you tells a lot.

• Asheron-RayAsheron-Ray Member Posts: 35
    Originally posted by batolemaeus

The fact alone that you come to an internet forum to cry about how mean a game has been to you tells a lot.

lol thats a good point...

• LorkenLorken Member Posts: 17

I will definitely agree about the people in-game, the community is mostly made up of anti-social hermits with only few people actually wanting to talk and sometimes give you a job. I think the game's tedious grind wouldn't be nearly as bad if the community was more like roma victors.

• paulscottpaulscott Member Posts: 5,613

Wurm was not meant to be played how you wanted to, so you uninstalled it.  

nice story.

I'll also give ya that the community that I knew from beta also changed a lot from the community that I knew when PvP was forced down our throats hard.   To be perfectly honest if I were to go back to Wurm on a new character I doubt that I'd be able to play the game at all.

I find it amazing that by 2020 first world countries will be competing to get immigrants.

• GurubearGurubear Member Posts: 41

Only 3 people on? Very strange. Golden Valley, the starter server normally has between 40 and 80 people online at any one time.

And generally the community is very helpful - though I have seen them be offhand to players who pop in, march up and down complaining and expect to have everything done for them. :)

As for Hermits, well, on the main servers where you can set up villages, those are far from a Hermit lifestyle!

However, the nice thing about Wurm is that you have the choice - find a quiet spot and just make your own challenges (which is how I am currently playing), or set up a village with maybe 40 villagers, which is how I played previously.

Nice to have that choice, I would say!

Sound and Music for anything

• ShalandarShalandar Member Posts: 51

Dear PH,

From your post I gathered this game was too meanyweeny to you and I have the perfect, warm fuzzy experience your looking for.  It is called Shadowbane. 

It is an older game which will be kind to your ancient pc, and is a wonderful, bright land full of helpful friendly people who want nothing more than to see to your perfect  health and general well being.  All the monsters in the game are glad to see you coming and after farting a beautiful rainbow, will lie down and die so you can get a free "Gee, I'm Swell" rune. 

The bad-bad pks will never ever bother a new player like you and, in fact, will offer many free lessons on your place in this new wonderland.  If you join now you get a free pretty  pony with a magic saddle that sparkles!

Enjoy, and tell them Grimm sent you.

• astrob0yastrob0y Member Posts: 702

If you complain about the players in this game I would suggest that you look how you act first of all.  Becuse its not just like a a random fantasy mmo where you can just type a random question and get some easy answer like; "if you want to learn skill b you have to talk to the master of that skill, just like the manual told you". You must first of all say the simple "hello" to the player you want to talk with, just like it works irl.

The wurm community is one of the kindest Ive seen this far (played mmos for 5 years soon) and I hope that I will get the game working once again ;_;.

I7@4ghz, 5970@ 1 ghz/5ghz, water cooled||Former setups Byggblogg||Byggblogg 2|| Msi Wind u100

• Angelof2070Angelof2070 Member Posts: 224

I played this game with my best friend for about 3 hours, and everything the OP said was true.

If this was ANY OTHER GAME you guys would be right in defending it, saying "1 hour? LOL youre stupid! l2p" or "Your system sucks!!!!1111'

But seriously... log in for ONE HOUR and you will see EXACTLY what the OP said, and you'll agree ENTIRELY.

That is... unless you're a fanboy.

And yes... the people are very nasty anti-social hermits who are overly defensive and sensitive about their game.

Even ONE complaint or complaint-like question and they'll crucify you because you threaten their social group.

• ZarmaZarmaZarmaZarma Member Posts: 4

After reading about this game, the idea of an online MMORPG where you hack a living out of the wilderness and shape the world as you go sounded great.
    Reality, as is often the case, is far different.
    I played about 1 hour total,
    I got lost and spent the hour wandering around, getting exhausted from walking 5 feet up an incline then rolling back down.
    The solution I was offered was to commit suicide and start over.
    Wurm.Delete

That's weird... That's a list of the reasons I play Wurm o-o. The fact is- I CAN GET LOST IN THE WOODS. Do that in another MMO. Hey, it's for some people I guess, maybe not for others.

• GeevesGeeves Member UncommonPosts: 149
    Originally posted by Angelof2070

I played this game with my best friend for about 3 hours, and everything the OP said was true.

If this was ANY OTHER GAME you guys would be right in defending it, saying "1 hour? LOL youre stupid! l2p" or "Your system sucks!!!!1111'
    But seriously... log in for ONE HOUR and you will see EXACTLY what the OP said, and you'll agree ENTIRELY.

That is... unless you're a fanboy.
    And yes... the people are very nasty anti-social hermits who are overly defensive and sensitive about their game.
    Even ONE complaint or complaint-like question and they'll crucify you because you threaten their social group.

So basically you either agree with the OP, or are a raging fanboy? That's some sound reasoning there. I'm no fanboy at all, but I thought the OPs points were vague and vapid.

I've been playing Wurm a bit this last week. Some aspects of it are amazing. There's so much potential in terraforming it nearly blows my mind. I also like the idea of an MMO where your first and foremost goal is survival, and working with your environment is crucial in achieving that aim.

The only game breaking downfall for me is the weak nature of combat. I stood in front of a mountain lion, the lion stood in front of me, and a minute or two later I was dead. That was literally the extent of my first experience of combat. There was little to no interactivity at all, and while it may get more interesting in the future, it didn't leave me enthused to continue playing.

Still the game is essentially free, and takes up next to no room on my HD. I'm still logging in occassionally to get my first house built. Almost there :) (on a side note iron takes way too long to become malleable)

MUNDO!!

• MadallionMadallion Member Posts: 2

My experience:  i have played the game about 3 years and it has just finally got a little slow.  It is a difficult game.  Surviving alone is difficult even for an experienced player.  Join a village and learn to play.  Most rewarding games are about the people and this is no exception. 

Several things that make this game great is that everything is player made.  You can raise and lower the land to make roads etc.  The mines are tunnels under the ground.  Many have made tunnels through mountain ranges.  The terrain manipulation is great. 

A great game for those who take the time to learn. 

• stuxstux Member Posts: 462

It wasn't my cup of tea but I didn't see anything wrong with the community.

• grimbojgrimboj Member Posts: 2,102

Are you fanboys playing the same game as me? lol

I really want  to like this game, I think about it's features and they make me excited to play it but the reality is that it's redefined the term 'shoe string budget'. NOTHING outside of a 1st year programming classroom should be written in Java and this game proves it. I mean seriously I could find you 5 freeware opengl graphics engines on google in seconds but the developers chose to write a java engine from scratch?

There is a difference between a game that is hard and a game that refuses to explain itself properly. At this point I'm stuck on a quest that says 'go find some rock'. This is like my 2nd hour ingame and I've been sent to find rock with no direction at all and there is none in sight. Frankly, I can't be bothered asking everyone I come accross where I might find some rock.

You cannot compare 2 hours aimless wandering around an alpha test to levels 1-20 of a major MMO.

--
    Note: PlayNC will refuse to allow you access to your account if you forget your password and can't provide a scanned image of the product key for the first product you purchased..... LOL

• LorkenLorken Member Posts: 17

yea the fact that the game is written on a primitive game engine definitely is one of the reasons to its downfall, that and a lacking in-game community due to self-sufficiency.

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615

Originally posted by grimboj

Are you fanboys playing the same game as me? lol

I really want  to like this game, I think about it's features and they make me excited to play it but the reality is that it's redefined the term 'shoe string budget'. NOTHING outside of a 1st year programming classroom should be written in Java and this game proves it. I mean seriously I could find you 5 freeware opengl graphics engines on google in seconds but the developers chose to write a java engine from scratch?

There is a difference between a game that is hard and a game that refuses to explain itself properly. At this point I'm stuck on a quest that says 'go find some rock'. This is like my 2nd hour ingame and I've been sent to find rock with no direction at all and there is none in sight. Frankly, I can't be bothered asking everyone I come accross where I might find some rock.

You cannot compare 2 hours aimless wandering around an alpha test to levels 1-20 of a major MMO.

Fancy that, Wurm uses openGL.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• joker007mojoker007mo Member Posts: 712

sounds like a snooze fest no wonder i never heard of this game too much work for no pay makes jack a dull boy