Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking to buy EQII?

HyoukanHyoukan Member Posts: 307
This is kind of wierd, but just a quick post for those looking to try EQII, or buy. At www.gamestop.com you can get copies of EQII for 24.99 (maybe even at the stores) and definately 29.99 at the stores. Just incase anyone is interested.

Comments

• metalcoremetalcore Member Posts: 798

Have shares in SOE ? image

Just kidding.

Now playing: VG (after a long break from MMORPGS)
    Played for more than a month: Darkfall online, Vanguard SOH, Everquest, Horizons, WoW, SWG, Everquest II, Eve

• HyoukanHyoukan Member Posts: 307

Originally posted by metalcore

Have shares in SOE ? image
    Just kidding.

Nah, in gamestop, they ordered wayyyyyyyyyyy too many copies that didn't sell :/.
    lol, but in all seriousness I'm guessing that is what really happened.
  • VicodinTacoVicodinTaco Member UncommonPosts: 804

Looking to buy EQ2?

don't.

Of the hundreds of games I've purchased since my first pc in '89, I've only felt ripped off on a handfull.

EQ2 is one of them.

It might be worth it in a year or two. 

The other day I canceled EQ2 and downloaded Asheron's Call 2 for free.  I heard that game was also a nightmare when it first came out.  As it it however, my first impressions are that it is a superior game.

You signed up just to say that? This is a strictly informational post, please keep the forums clean guys.

If you want to flame use a "I hate EQ" or a "I Love EQ" post, please.

Heh, sorry but....

You know what?  I did actually sign up to say that.  I honestly feel like I paid 50 dollars for an EQ2 beta, especially form a tradeskillers perspective; and graphics that don't even approach those of the screenshots, even on a highend machine.

How I wish that I knew AC2 was available for free two months ago. 

So sorry for the flame but,

I felt it was relevant to point out my opinion on EQ2 and AC2, and the fact that the latter is FREE.

I'll keep opinions like this elseware from now on image.

• VegalordVegalord Member Posts: 40

The second you contrasted AC2 to EQ2 is the second you lost all credibility.

koto

• ScarisScaris Member UncommonPosts: 5,332

Originally posted by loeslein
    Heh, sorry but....
    You know what?  I did actually sign up to say that.  I honestly feel like I paid 50 dollars for an EQ2 beta, especially form a tradeskillers perspective; and graphics that don't even approach those of the screenshots, even on a highend machine.
    How I wish that I knew AC2 was available for free two months ago. 

So sorry for the flame but,
    I felt it was relevant to point out my opinion on EQ2 and AC2, and the fact that the latter is FREE.

I'll keep opinions like this elseware from now on image.

the latter HAD to be free after they lost over 90% of their player base because of a horrible launch that almost lasted a year.

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

I even like the graphics better.image
  • Mr_ManMr_Man Member Posts: 77

I found it at Circuit City for $24.99.  It's a good deal, so far.  Just getting started on my character.  The grind seems really slow, even in the low levels so far.

I do like the atmosphere and everything so far.  I'm a lvl 8 fighter, working towards Monk.

I even like the graphics better.image

And that kids, is exactly why retarded people shouldn't be able to use computers
  • ShrubberShrubber Member Posts: 219

Originally posted by Hyoukan
    Originally posted by loeslein I even like the graphics better.imageAnd that kids, is exactly why retarded people shouldn't be able to use computers

Depends really. My 6800 ultra didnt get along with EQ2s graphics at all::::16::

Originally posted by Shrubber

Originally posted by loeslein I even like the graphics better.image
    And that kids, is exactly why retarded people shouldn't be able to use computers

Depends really. My 6800 ultra didnt get along with EQ2s graphics at all::::16::

I feel ya, that's why I have a FX5600, it's a GREAT video card.

And yeah, loeslein, I have SOME problems with the visuals, the character models. Can't get over the plastic look. I dunno if it's like that in the real game, but in the trial I didn't see any of the plasticness of the screen shots.

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444

This is kind of wierd, but just a quick post for those looking to try EQII, or buy. At www.gamestop.com you can get copies of EQII for 24.99 (maybe even at the stores) and definately 29.99 at the stores. Just incase anyone is interested.

The game was just 39.99 last week at the EB Games and Gamestop stores I visited. It's 24.99 now. This reminds me how it was with EQOA for PS2. The price of EQOA dropped like a rock within the first month of release. In part because a release date for FFXI for PS2 was rumored to be in the wind. FFXI > EQOA ::::08::

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

Originally posted by Shrubber Originally posted by HyoukanOriginally posted by loeslein I even like the graphics better.image
    And that kids, is exactly why retarded people shouldn't be able to use computers Depends really. My 6800 ultra didnt get along with EQ2s graphics at all
    And yeah, loeslein, I have SOME problems with the visuals, the character models. Can't get over the plastic look. I dunno if it's like that in the real game, but in the trial I didn't see any of the plasticness of the screen shots.

I was rather upset when I got my new laptop and my ATI Radeon Mobility x600 with 256 mb outperformed my 6800GT on my main machine in EQ 2. I have about given up on NVidia products, I think I am a double convert and going back to ATI.

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444

Originally posted by Fadeus
    Originally posted by Shrubber Originally posted by HyoukanOriginally posted by loeslein I even like the graphics better.image
    And that kids, is exactly why retarded people shouldn't be able to use computers Depends really. My 6800 ultra didnt get along with EQ2s graphics at all

I was rather upset when I got my new laptop and my ATI Radeon Mobility x600 with 256 mb outperformed my 6800GT on my main machine in EQ 2. I have about given up on NVidia products, I think I am a double convert and going back to ATI.

A game having problems with a Nvidia card is unusal. I swore off ever using ATI cards after I saw. Just how often I'd visit a game forum to see ATI card users having problems. When Radeon's first came out. I bought one, and had nothing but problems with it. Went with Nvidia option, and haven't turned back since.

Nvidia = ::::08::

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

Originally posted by Roin
    Originally posted by Fadeus

A game having problems with a Nvidia card is unusal. I swore off ever using ATI cards after I saw. Just how often I'd visit a game forum to see ATI card users having problems. When Radeon's first came out. I bought one, and had nothing but problems with it. Went with Nvidia option, and haven't turned back since.

Nvidia = ::::08::

Never said alot of games have problems with it, I did say I EQ II performs poorly with it. I have other issues with Nvidia that has driven me to not find their products appealing anymore, such as having to buy their decoder to get acceleration on movie playback which was supposed to be integrated into the card already at release. I have been burned several times by them, including taking a downgrade from a 4200 Ti 8x to 5600 8x which I THOUGHT would be faster but it was pre "flip chip" and I ended up taking a huge performance hit. I get tired of having to read between the lines when I buy an Nvidia product anymore. Even if I have to do that with ATI atleast I will start that way with them and not find out the hard way.

I have been on Nvidia for about 5 years now, and I am tired of wondering what suprise is going to await me next with their products.

- Scaris

• WickesWickes Member UncommonPosts: 749

Yup, there are well known problems with the 6800 and EQ2, as evidenced by numerous lengthy threads in the tech forum.  What's not yet known is whether it's an EQ2 problem or an nvidia problem.

Going to stick with my 4200ti for now.

Originally posted by Wickes
    Yup, there are well known problems with the 6800 and EQ2, as evidenced by numerous lengthy threads in the tech forum.  What's not yet known is whether it's an EQ2 problem or an nvidia problem.
    Going to stick with my 4200ti for now.

I actually don't see the stutter anymore Wickes, that kinda worked itself away on a patch awhile ago, but overall I feel the card way underperforms in EQ 2. Originally I figured it was just the complexity of the graphics and textures but after loading EQ 2 up on my laptop and see'ing how well it performs I really don't know what the problems is.

Regardless of how well the 6800 runs other game, I still have to feel Nvidia is alot at fault here since Sony worked with them so deeply hand in hand on the graphics technology in EQ 2. Yes, Sony is at fault as well, but when I can run it well with an ATI card and not with the card that the game was designed for, and Nvidia had their hand directly in the graphics design, well, I have to look at them with the problem. Sony has already stated that the problem is being worked on by Nvidia which tells me that it apparently is atleast partially their error.

I dunno, I guess what it boils down too is I haven't really felt I have gotten a bang for my buck since I bought my 4200 4 video cards ago.

- Scaris

I was planning to upgrade, but after reading what everyone is saying, I figured I would just wait a bit and let the dust settle because I really don't know what to buy.  My 4200ti/64 meg has always run EQ2 fairly well, but SOE must have done something as things seem to have even gotten better over time.  So it's not very urgent.

I tend to agree with you - nvidia is at fault here.  I think SOE trusted that they would deliver a product well geared for the game.

I'm currently agonizing over my monitor situation =)  On impulse I bought a 19" Princeton LCD at Costco.  Frankly it makes the game look damned unbelievable - and this is from someone who thought it looked fabulous before.  Often now I just sit and stare at scenes now - they're so incredible looking (somebody complains about this??).  But after the fact I realized that response time is important on LCDs due to ghosting and smearing, and this one is only 25ms.  I see I can buy LCDs now which are 12ms, or even 8, but I'm not sure whether the improvement would be that significant, and maybe there would be some tradeoff in overally quality of the picture.  I think this one has a bit more smearing than my CRT had, but either it isn't bad or I've just quickly adjusted to it ... so I can't decide what to do =)

Any thoughts?

I bought a Sony 21" monitor right when they dropped down to under $1000 a while back and I run that as my main screen, because frankly, I don't care how much you argue it, a CRT still delivers the best screen unless you are willing to spend a kings ranson on a flatpanel. I run dual display though and my second is a 19" NEC that I absolutely love as far as flatscreens go but I have never heavily tested it in gaming, I have extensively tested it with DVD's and movies and such and I never get any smearing. It is however the only flat panel experience I have because I still think they have awhile to go before they are really worthy of gaming with due to the smearing and often uncrisp image they give (not ALL, just most). When I get home I will update this post with the brand, I THINK its an NEC multisync but I am not sure.

Basically to me, as a desktop publisher and a gamer I still prefer monitor even though the beast takes up about 1/2 my desk. Thats why I got an LCD secondary, so it wasn't quite as invasive of my space. Thats about all I can give you on this though, hope it helps.

- Scaris

Yeah that was pretty much my thinking ... and it's not like I have some need to use an LCD on my home setup, I just wanted one =)  Plus, except for a bit more smearing than I would like, it looks sooooo good. But I guess I should drag my butt to the store and see what the CRT situation is ... can probably save some money to spend on all these expensive adventure packs =)

I know what you mean, I am going broke trying to keep up with $22 a month for 4 full game titles plus content upgrades. I feel rather ripped off!

- Scaris

• ExekileExekile Member UncommonPosts: 80

Heh, sorry but....
    How I wish that I knew AC2 was available for free two months ago.

Since when did AC2 get free? The only paying mmorpg that has a free offer is AO, right?
    Please point me to any information possible if this is true.