Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

After FFXIII starting to worry

2»

Comments

•  I am completely basing FFXIV off of the success of FFXI and the endless hours of fun I had playing the game. There have been several Final Fantasy games since FFXI's release that have made me sad along with a couple prior FFX being one of my least favorite Final Fantasies. All I can do is wait and see though, but I indeed am not a real big fan of 13.

• cealiscealis Member Posts: 5

FF series is really big in Asia so they will deliver a very good product so there is nothing to worry about content.

The only thing that i worry about is how the population is handled, I believe we get same sort servers like ffxi has now which mean population from all over the world and not regionbased.

While i don't mind if they do that i just wonder how players from europe and other parts of the world deal with that.

It does require for example that the server goes live probly based on Asiatime which means it start like 3 am Europetime so what effects will that have on the servers.

• reef22reef22 Member UncommonPosts: 85

Here is a shocker for all of you Final Fantasy fans...

I've never played any of the Final Fantasy games. Yes, yes, I was living under a rock... I knew that Final Fantasy series of games are turn based and I just can't get into that. But after looking at the screen shots of FFXIII and watching the trailers, it perked my interest. I was worried I wouldn't like the game because of the "complicated" combat system. And I was surprised that for a new comer, it's pretty easy to pick up and the graphics are amazing. Many, many times I would stop and just look around and thought to myself, hopefully FFXiV online would look half this good.

I understand each person have different playing style. Some likes to just heck and slash all the way through and some likes to take the time and "enjoying the scenery" and I'm the later one.  Yes it's true that every time after killing a few mobs there will be a cut scene but I like cut scenes. It give me a break from pushing buttons. And this game does feel like watching a movie but I like it.

So back to the subject...after FFXIII, I have a very high hope for FFXIV. I'm a graphic designer by trade and I like graphically intensed games and I hope FFXIV will have really amazing graphics as well. I know it's not gonna be HD and all that like FFXIII but it should still be very good, I hope anyway.

In any event, because of FFXIII, Squre Enix just gained a new fan.

Ok, I'm going back under the rock and play my FFXIII. I'm still only in chapter 6... and maybe by the time I finish FFXIII then FFXIV will be out. (I'm a VERY slow player...)

See you guys in FFXIV!

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384
    Originally posted by Hrayr2148

I loved the first 20 hours of FFXII until it came to a point where the gambits played the game for me.  I would beat bosses without doing anything.  It LITERALLY played the game for you.

Guess who's fault that is? if you didn't want it to do that then DON'T set it up that way..

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507

Both games utilise Crystal Tools so graphically there will be similarities, and the PS3 will lbe very good system to play the game on, logically because the engine was developed for it originally. I like the Final fantasy XIII story, so I am expecting to enjoy the immersive world and storyline offered by XIV. I think there will be linear elements to the game, but with some nice open features that will make it feel like open world sandbox too. It's very hard to have completely non-linear game and give the game an immersive plot for players to follow.

• nickster29nickster29 Member Posts: 486
    Originally posted by cealis

FF series is really big in Asia so they will deliver a very good product so there is nothing to worry about content.
    The only thing that i worry about is how the population is handled, I believe we get same sort servers like ffxi has now which mean population from all over the world and not regionbased.
    While i don't mind if they do that i just wonder how players from europe and other parts of the world deal with that.
    It does require for example that the server goes live probly based on Asiatime which means it start like 3 am Europetime so what effects will that have on the servers.

I am really hoping that they stick with global servers, considering that a great deal of people I know on FFXI do not live in North America.  It would really suck if I picked up the game and suddenly couldn't play with the people I planned on.

• lynxielynxie Member Posts: 103
    Originally posted by Sorrow

Just completed my 2nd run through of FFXIII and it's left me sitting here scratching my head wondering where the game went. Yes, i tortured myself through it twice just to be sure I was giving the game a fair chance and honest review.

Honestly this should have just been released as as some cheaply made anime movie.  As a game it was such a total let down.

That said, I had to go back again and rewatch all the dev videos for FF XIII listening to them talk about how great it was and how excited they all are with the game they had made. I got a twitch in my left eye.  I quickly started watching the dev videos for XIV and my twitch started getting worse.

After an experience like this it makes me just have to ask...  Have game developers totally and completely lost their minds.

Why would it make you worry about FFXIV? MMORPG is always different then RPG. The style they used in FFXIII is just impossible to do in FFXIV.

I have played FFVII to FFXIII and to me FFXIII  is my favourite RPG.

The only thing what annoyed me sometimes was how hard the battles were sometimes.

I never died so many times in a FF game. Actually, I only died in FF games with the really hard bosses that were optional.

FFXIII is fast, and you have to think a lot, well not the first 4 hours, the first 4 hours are easy and pretty boring combat, but after you can switch roles in the fight, the difficulty increases a lot. (from my standard 5 star fights to dead, 0 star fights and 1 star fights. I actually was happy with 3 star fights most of the times)

Till chapter 10 I had a real challange, even with maxed out characters. I didn't have to grind to get to the cap, just battle most of the enemies that comes along and you don't need to grind at all.

Well till you come at chapter 11, then you get freedom, before I went there I was afraid, I usually dislike freedom choises in RPG's, but it was great, no stupid quests, just missions which I enjoyed doing.

Still I didn't do them all, I wanted to go on with the story again.

At the end I have done 26 of 64 missions (some of the missions you have to do to go on with the story), I played 70 hours, I had a great time, and I will now go do all the missions and now I will grind to get all characters to max level.

However I think the game will be to easy if you max out all characters before you end the story. So I would say don't fight to much, and don't do to much missions, if you want to have a challange. From chapter 1 to 10 you don't have to worry about this, but after that you can make it easier by grinding or doing many missions.

To me the game is great, the story isn't really special, it feels to me like most other FF I played in that, what is making this great for me is how all characters had a story connecting to the main plot, they all feel important, how they think and decide because of the events, that's what I like.

Also I am happy they throw away all the boring stuff. I always hated to speak to all boring NPC that walk around in towns and stuff. Doing quests that I found boring.

And I don't really like freedom, usually I took a guide to see how I had to walk, because I see no challange in finding my own way, expect that it is time consuming.

I just want to see the story and do some battles that are fun to play.

And that is exactly what FFXIII is.

A lot of people dislike this I guess, but I love it.

• braingame007braingame007 Member UncommonPosts: 98

Wow you hate all the stuff that been in all FF games. and a big part of the FF Universe. You must also love Star Ocean 4 >_>

Just so you know I did just beat the game and I did enjoy it, but it was flawed, way too much fighting, even the sidequests is nothing but more fighting, that crap gets boring

• lucabrasilucabrasi Member Posts: 43

Originally posted by Selenica

Originally posted by skeaser

Originally posted by csthao

I had a hard time deciding to buy GoW 3 or FF XIII. But today I went out and bought GoW 3. I hope i didnt make the wrong decision.

BTW whats the total play time on FF XIII anyway? I hope its at least over 35+ hours. If it is, I might consider picking it up at when I get my next paycheck.

20-25+ hours for the beginning/intro, then the game starts. Not sure when it ends. I'm around 22 hours and still in the beginning.

I read it can be anywhere from 40-50 hours if you continue CP grinding and doing extra missions after the story. I think I'll probably end up playing the game a couple times too.. I simply love the cinematics. 

I really don't see how someone could get through this game in 40-50 hours. I am 47 hours in and just at the first boss in ch12. I have done next to none of the side missions and just enough grind to get by the harder bosses. I think there is 64 stone missions and a few other side missions which I have done maybe 10-12 of all of them. If you ended up doing all the missions, getting all the treasures, and maxing out your players, I could guess that someone could easily spent over 90-100 hours in one playthrough.

• braingame007braingame007 Member UncommonPosts: 98

It is funny you say that though, I beat the game at 45 hours, and did over 20 of the missions. Alot of the missions honestly I don't think is supposed to be completed til after you beat the game, because when you beat the final boss it unlocks the last tier in the Crystarium grid or w/e. Each one of the things in the last tier is like 50k + per stat, and they are big increases, just for example like +400 HP.

For me though, it is hard to want to finish the missions in stuff, I am  an avid FF fan but all you do in FF13 from start to finish it run and fight too much, as much as I loved the battle system they should have gave us some sort of fun minigame in most FF games, if not all. I don't call doing Missions fun on FF13 because  most of them you have to run on foot for 30 miles just to fight some harder mobs. Don't get me wrong, the game was well worth the $60 I payed, but for me it has 0 replay value, and that is a first for a FF game for me.

• ArndurArndur Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,202

I'm brand new to the series and am greatly enjoying this game. I so sick of short stories that is a grea refreshment from all the tacked on single player stories to mulitplayer games. Now I just need a PS3 to really dive into some singleplayer stuff.

Hold on Snow Leopard, imma let you finish, but Windows had one of the best operating systems of all time.

If the Powerball lottery was like Lotro, nobody would win for 2 years, and then everyone in Nebraska would win on the same day.
    And then Nebraska would get nerfed.-pinkwood lotro fourms

AMD 4800 2.4ghz-3GB RAM 533mhz-EVGA 9500GT 512mb-320gb HD

• GrandVizierGrandVizier Member UncommonPosts: 72

Originally posted by drasa

Okay I'll make it clear as day: for 1)  the is a MMO forum so don't talk about not mmo related games even if they have FF in them and for 2) everyone has there own opinition, what they like or dislike  so please don't make it sound like the entire game was crappy. for ppl whom haven't played yet it is a major let down to say that. SO thanks so much, I was thinking 'should I get the game now at 59.99 or if it isn't very good so I'll wait til the prize would drop.

In response your point 1:

1) Single Player games ARE allowed to be discussed on MMORPG.com website.  The General Gaming section is set up exactly for that.  The description of "General Gaming" reads as follows: A place to discuss non-MMORPG gaming.

"Asking permission is easier than asking forgiveness."

"Without power, one dies."

-State Pestage, Grand Vizier

• lucabrasilucabrasi Member Posts: 43

Originally posted by braingame007

It is funny you say that though, I beat the game at 45 hours, and did over 20 of the missions. Alot of the missions honestly I don't think is supposed to be completed til after you beat the game, because when you beat the final boss it unlocks the last tier in the Crystarium grid or w/e. Each one of the things in the last tier is like 50k + per stat, and they are big increases, just for example like +400 HP.

For me though, it is hard to want to finish the missions in stuff, I am  an avid FF fan but all you do in FF13 from start to finish it run and fight too much, as much as I loved the battle system they should have gave us some sort of fun minigame in most FF games, if not all. I don't call doing Missions fun on FF13 because  most of them you have to run on foot for 30 miles just to fight some harder mobs. Don't get me wrong, the game was well worth the $60 I payed, but for me it has 0 replay value, and that is a first for a FF game for me.

I just completed the game, and I see where you are coming from. I just assumed since ch 11 was so long that the next two would be as well. It only took me untill hour 54 to beat the final boss. I did find this easy and did not die on any of the final bosses once. So I guess I did more grinding than I thought was needed. I would say the average gamer could beat just the main story line in 50 hours or less. However there this is not the end of the game.

• pythipythi Member UncommonPosts: 63

doh

Exocide

• BannneBannne Member Posts: 244

Just completed my 2nd run through of FFXIII and it's left me sitting here scratching my head wondering where the game went. Yes, i tortured myself through it twice just to be sure I was giving the game a fair chance and honest review.

Honestly this should have just been released as as some cheaply made anime movie.  As a game it was such a total let down.

That said, I had to go back again and rewatch all the dev videos for FF XIII listening to them talk about how great it was and how excited they all are with the game they had made. I got a twitch in my left eye.  I quickly started watching the dev videos for XIV and my twitch started getting worse.

After an experience like this it makes me just have to ask...  Have game developers totally and completely lost their minds.

I think you really are talking about Dragon Age Origins when you say anime movie.

• solocronosolocrono Member Posts: 173

I dunno.. I guess I just lost my Final Fantasy itch.  Back in the day I used to play them religiously but.... sadly, the series has just gotten so stale to me.   Granted I haven't played one since FF 10, which I played through, just to beat, but it wasn't very fun to me.   The last  FF I played that  personally was the last great one for me was  Final Fantasy 6.  (I mean Kefka is just one of the greatest bad guys ever lol)   I loved 7, 8, and 9, don't get me wrong, but after 9, I very quickly just lost interest.   I dunno, I know alot of people will disagree with me, but there was just something about all of them after 10 that I can't place my finger on, that turned me away.

I have a friend that bought FF 13 on the first day it was out, and after the initial excitement, even he says it's just...meh.  So that isn't helping my interest at all, and neither was reading the OP.  So apparently I'm not the only one who thinks this way about where Final Fantasy has headed in the recent decade.   

Granted this doesn't really include 11 and 14 since they're MMO's.  I never really played 11.. by the time I tried it it had already been out for 6 years, so I wasn't able to get into that either.  Maybe I'll give 14 a try from the beginning.. I might get a different feeling for it.

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507

Originally posted by Bannne

I think you really are talking about Dragon Age Origins when you say anime movie.

To be honest I simply think they are trolling. Mass Effect and Dragon Age are also RPG with a lot of movie-like cut scenes. What I think that tells us is that in terms of the gaming RPG market today is that FF XIII is spot on in approach. The story is very much one from the Japanese tastes, but I think given the game sales a lot of Western players dig the game too. I think a lot of the early game concentrates on the battle system (which is quite intricate and fun if played well), character development and story. However, the game does open up later on and gives you a sandbox open world RPG feel too, there is a transition between linear and open world. I think FF XIV which uses Crystal Tools too will be a visual plot-driven treat of a MMO, and a real blast for us...even the WoW guys should put their purple chase on hold for a month or two and try it when it comes out on retail launch.