Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jerky movements and hitching

eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

I decided to come back and try lotro since they had this spring thing. As soon as i started playing i remembered one reason why i quit, Jerky movements and hitching and yes i play with the quest tracker on and if it is bugged then Turbine should fix it, it has beenout long enough.  AOC runs smoother then lotro and that is unusual, I have an e8500 with a 4870 ati card and 4gb of ram on a win xp, I think that should be enough to have a compleatly smooth experience. I dont play on high settings not ultra,its just weird or maybe not because i have read many poeple have same prob

Comments

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

Update your drivers...its not always the MMO, but rather unknown user error.  Could be wrong about your situation, but it helps to do some research also...check their forums too!

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

Drivers are updated, on the forums there is a complilcated work around which i might try, it involves hidden files and such and changing code. 

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

Try turning your engine speed down, that solved any problems with hitching I had.

I run @ Max Settings and have zero issues.

• feena750feena750 Member UncommonPosts: 330

I have a much worse computer and play on high settings with no issues.  Experiment with some settings to see if you can fix it.

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

e8400 and a Nvidia 260 GTX and I play with all sliders  maxxed 4x AA @ 1680 x 1050 and average 60FPS. Coukl be any number of things going on but  looking at your post history I would assume you have enough experiance to check your settings and tweak a game to work.

I miss DAoC

yea its weird maybe my computer does not like lotro, when i turn the settings to medium it runs fine bit who wants to play at medium with my computer?,  I will tweak here and there and see what happens

• sacredfoolsacredfool Member UncommonPosts: 849

Turn off your V-Sync.

Originally posted by nethaniah

Seriously Farmville? Yeah I think it's great. In a World where half our population is dying of hunger the more fortunate half is spending their time harvesting food that doesn't exist.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

My system is prolly the worse of the ones telling their settings (see siggy).

I have little to no problems with jerky movement (just some server side things once every 15 minutes or so, prolly area load), and I run in almost maxed settings under DX10 in HD and still get a decent 50-60FPS

• BertiauxBertiaux Member Posts: 122

Originally posted by eddieg50

I decided to come back and try lotro since they had this spring thing. As soon as i started playing i remembered one reason why i quit, Jerky movements and hitching and yes i play with the quest tracker on and if it is bugged then Turbine should fix it, it has beenout long enough.  AOC runs smoother then lotro and that is unusual, I have an e8500 with a 4870 ati card and 4gb of ram on a win xp, I think that should be enough to have a compleatly smooth experience. I dont play on high settings not ultra,its just weird or maybe not because i have read many poeple have same prob

Where are you getting the jerkiness? In certain areas or all over? There's a lot of lag when entering certain places, like Bree or Thorin's Hall. However, its a lot better than it used to be -- it seems like they may be starting to address the issue causing it. 

• motorunmotorun Member UncommonPosts: 29

http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?t=316502

Turbine released a small program that will properly defragment the lotro data files. I used it and in my case it worked wonders.

Copied and pasted from the Turbine forum post:

Thanks to a couple team members, we're making a public a command line tool to be able to address the internal dat file fragmentation (vs. external fragmentation which regular disk defragmenters address).

What this will do for you?

- Speed up game loads

- Speed up teleports

- Reduce hitching (not all hitching.... just load related hitches)

Granted if you were on an SSD or flash drive, the improvement will not be nearly as big as compared to the majority of folk still on mechanical disks.

Link to the KB article:

NOTE: There are issues downloading with Internet Explorer at the moment. Please try downloading the zip with alternate browsers for now.

http://na6.salesforce.com/_ui/selfse...0180000000QGhY

A couple things to re-iterate from the KB:

(.NET Framework 2.0 required)

1. It's for LOTRO only. Please don't use it on DDO or AC.

2. It's brute force. Make sure to have enough disk space (have the equivalent to the largest dat file free on the disk )

3. We've done a bit of testing to release it to you all, but it is basically a programmer tool.

4. It's not a fast tool, it's effectively doing a massive file copy if it determines it needs to defragment a file.

I'd call out the specific devs for the kudos, but they don't have forum handles for me to single out. Thank the Game Platform team at Turbine. (Though for those that played in some of the beta points, +Akash is largely to thank).

• HarkerTempesHarkerTempes Member UncommonPosts: 13

Motorun, the post above me has it right. That program does help nicely.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

Giving datdefrag a try as well. After all those updates & patches from the original version, my guess is that there'll be some fragmentation in the LotR files ;)

Originally posted by Bertiaux

Originally posted by eddieg50

Where are you getting the jerkiness? In certain areas or all over? There's a lot of lag when entering certain places, like Bree or Thorin's Hall. However, its a lot better than it used to be -- it seems like they may be starting to address the issue causing it. 

The jerkiness comes from running in forced march mode, and the hitching comes and goes

Originally posted by motorun

http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?t=316502

Turbine released a small program that will properly defragment the lotro data files. I used it and in my case it worked wonders.

Copied and pasted from the Turbine forum post:

Thanks to a couple team members, we're making a public a command line tool to be able to address the internal dat file fragmentation (vs. external fragmentation which regular disk defragmenters address).

What this will do for you?

- Speed up game loads

- Speed up teleports

- Reduce hitching (not all hitching.... just load related hitches)

Granted if you were on an SSD or flash drive, the improvement will not be nearly as big as compared to the majority of folk still on mechanical disks.

Link to the KB article:

NOTE: There are issues downloading with Internet Explorer at the moment. Please try downloading the zip with alternate browsers for now.

http://na6.salesforce.com/_ui/selfse...0180000000QGhY

A couple things to re-iterate from the KB:

(.NET Framework 2.0 required)

1. It's for LOTRO only. Please don't use it on DDO or AC.

2. It's brute force. Make sure to have enough disk space (have the equivalent to the largest dat file free on the disk )

3. We've done a bit of testing to release it to you all, but it is basically a programmer tool.

4. It's not a fast tool, it's effectively doing a massive file copy if it determines it needs to defragment a file.

I'd call out the specific devs for the kudos, but they don't have forum handles for me to single out. Thank the Game Platform team at Turbine. (Though for those that played in some of the beta points, +Akash is largely to thank).

Hmmm i will check that

• seabass2003seabass2003 Member Posts: 4,144

This might sound weird but I notice that the ground under my feet actually skips while I'm running. So I turn off one of my cores and it stops. Makes everything run smooth as silk. I have no idea why but it works for me. Not sure if this is the same as you but it is really simple to turn off a core.

In America I have bad teeth. If I lived in England my teeth would be perfect.

• ForceQuitForceQuit Member Posts: 350

It is a well known and persistent bug in Lotro.  In effect, it stems from the dynamic LOD method Turbine uses in their engine.  All of the suggestions offered here work some of the time on some PCs, but not all of the time on all PCs.  The only solution presented here that I have not seen before is the suggestion to turn off one of your cores.  Otherwise, most players affected by this bug will need to try a combination of solutions.  Also, putting Lotro on an SSD virtually eliminates the hitching as well, but rather by brute force than really "fixing" it.

Originally posted by ForceQuit

It is a well known and persistent bug in Lotro.  In effect, it stems from the dynamic LOD method Turbine uses in their engine.  All of the suggestions offered here work some of the time on some PCs, but not all of the time on all PCs.  The only solution presented here that I have not seen before is the suggestion to turn off one of your cores.  Otherwise, most players affected by this bug will need to try a combination of solutions.  Also, putting Lotro on an SSD virtually eliminates the hitching as well, but rather by brute force than really "fixing" it.

I understand it is the same way with Vanguard and people recomending an ssd drive,   But how do you turn off a core?