Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which class do you have most fun with and why?

Giving LotRO a shot, was trying to decide on a class, but most of them don't seem to really open up till 20-30. So, can anyone give some pros and cons on the various classes and why you find them fun or boring for leveling, grouping, and PvP?

The ones I'm most interested in are Captain, Burglar, and Guardian.

Comments

• NamicoNamico Member Posts: 40

those 3 are really different though..

guardian is a tank

burglar is a debuffer

captain is a buffer/pet class

should really consider from what roll you want to play.. personally i prefered warden, kind of a hybrid between all of those 3

• NamicaNamica Member Posts: 71

Originally posted by Namico

guardian is a tank

burglar is a debuffer

should really consider from what roll you want to play.. personally i prefered warden, kind of a hybrid between all of those 3

I don't mind what roll I play, I mainly just want to be in melee range and those three seem interesting to me.

Warden though, not so much, the gambit system seems to hide it's simplicity with order memorization. From what I can gather, your really just stacking the same spells on yourself and the mob, but you have to press a different sequence of buttons each time you want to use what is essentially the same spell you just used.

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

Minstrel is my main, and loads of fun.  Not only the best healer in the game, and always in demand for fellowships, but you can also weild a sword and shield and go toe-to-toe melee even with elites in some cases.  NIce buffs, and combo moves that enhance ur stats with every strum of your intrument, plus you can attack consistently while on the move.

Overall its one of the most unique healer classes ever designed that I've played across most MMOs...you should give it a try.  However, just like most classes they don't start to shine until around lvl 20ish...so it can be a bit slow going til then.

• RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168

When I played I enjoyed the Guardian. Havent played in a long time though.

(BBBBBBBWWWWAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH raise plunger salute to Liv Tyler as Arwen!)

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

Originally posted by Namica

Originally posted by Namico

guardian is a tank

burglar is a debuffer

I don't mind what roll I play, I mainly just want to be in melee range and those three seem interesting to me.

Warden though, not so much, the gambit system seems to hide it's simplicity with order memorization. From what I can gather, your really just stacking the same spells on yourself and the mob, but you have to press a different sequence of buttons each time you want to use what is essentially the same spell you just used.

I don't see that as being the case with  the warden. I've played a warden into about 20 and haven't seen what you are saying. In any case they get more skills as the progress. Why not a champion? AoE Damager dealer?

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

No champion beacuse the forums says they are to squishy.

• locoroadielocoroadie Member Posts: 2

Originally posted by Namica

No champion beacuse the forums says they are to squishy.

I have to say they are squishy at times but certainly more than able to solo everything, But in a group the champ really shines.

What class you will like depends greatly on how you want to play. Wardens can solo everything. Loremasters and captains are great to play in a group. And don't forget my all time favourite the minstrell :)

• monarc333monarc333 Member UncommonPosts: 622

To keep the conversation moving, any thoughts on RuneKeeper? I'm also slowly getting back into the game woudl like some thoughts about them. Since the first book is soloable, can they keep up? Hows end game with them? Any other thoughts are appreciated.

• locoroadielocoroadie Member Posts: 2

Originally posted by monarc333

To keep the conversation moving, any thoughts on RuneKeeper? I'm also slowly getting back into the game woudl like some thoughts about them. Since the first book is soloable, can they keep up? Hows end game with them? Any other thoughts are appreciated.

i only played one till the mid 40 but I'm sure I will pick him again. He was easy to solo for me. Don't expect a easy healing class though it;s much much harder to keep your group alive with a Runekeeper then a minstrell, not impossible, but harder.

• PapadamPapadam Member Posts: 2,102

Originally posted by monarc333

I usually dont like playing casters but I had a blast leveling my RK. More fun solo than in group though imo.

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd

• leinad312leinad312 Member UncommonPosts: 319

Try the Warden, it's unlike any other class I've ever played in an MMO.

Playing - FFXIV,  ESO
    Played - FFXI, WoW, Lineage 2, Guild Wars, Aion, SWToR, LotRO, GW2, TERA, Rift, ArcheAge, TSW

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

Originally posted by leinad312

Hell yeah. Plays like a rogue, hits (and takes hits) like a tank, and requires a lot of concentration under pressure with 5-chain Gambits. Fun class!

>.>

Can I get some info on the Guardian, Captain, or Burglar and not about how I'm wrong about the Warden?

It's not just how their combat works, from what I can gather, they are also the worst of the freeps beacuse their combo system doesn't work well with pvp, as well as a piss poor tank in comparison to the guardian.

• mcdeemcdee Member Posts: 2

Guardian is a very basic tank, if you've played a tank anywhere else you'll be very at home with the guardian.

Burglar is a good mix of debuffing, CC and DPS.  It's one of the harder classes to master initially but when you do you'll find that you are, to all intents and purposes, immortal.  If you want to play a burglar do it as a hobbit, it gives you a really useful panic button that is a handy last resort.

Haven't played captain, can't stand pet classes.

• BertiauxBertiaux Member Posts: 122

My Loremaster. I was hesitant to create one at first because I kept hearing how squishy they were, but once you get dual-wield, the whole universe changes. And focusing on fire abilities gives that added kick image

I can easily take down mobs 4-5 levels above me without losing even half of my morale.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870

Originally posted by Bertiaux

My Loremaster. I was hesitant to create one at first because I kept hearing how squishy they were, but once you get dual-wield, the whole universe changes. And focusing on fire abilities gives that added kick image

I can easily take down mobs 4-5 levels above me without losing even half of my morale.

I have a guardian and a loremaster. The gaurdian can take a beating and live through most stuff that would kill most classes several times over, but the combat is slow going until you start to get more of the two-hander abilities. I cant remember what they are called, to include the stance (overpower maybe?) becuase it's been 6-8 months since I have played last. The loremaster however is really fun to play.  It's a nice take on a caster class, makes him feel more like a combat chemist. The loremaster starts off slow and tedious at the lower levels, but the class gains momentum with fun and hard hitting abilities as you go up the levels.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

I have a lvl 65 Minnie, 55 loremaster, 49 Hunter, 30 Warden, 25 Burglar,17 RK, 15 Captain, 7 Guardian

Minstrels are fun to solo and in high demand for groups. They are not tanks but can handles some pretty mean mobs as long as there are not more than 2 mobs. 3 or more even low level green or teal mobs will keep interruptiung you. But I can solo even level elites easily.

Loremasters are a blast in my opinion. This is the first time I have really enjoyed the pet class in any MMO

Warden is a deadly killing machine solo. They can played as off tank or secondary tank as well.

Hunters are popular, big damage dealers, but can be fragile if thing get up close and personal

All the classes are good , just depends on what you like, try several to level 10 - 15 or so and see which fits your playstyle. You can hit 15 in a day or two and by then you have a good idea of how they play.

I miss DAoC

• KyngBillsKyngBills Member UncommonPosts: 452

I've got a 65 Hunter, a 61 Captain, a 50 Rune Keeper, a 41 Lore Master, a 40 Guardian, and a 25 Warden...

My favorite is The Hunter by far...Though I REALLY like the Rune Keeper as well...My Guild Mates like the Captain a lot...That's why he's My 2nd Toon...

Hunter is just SO cool in LOTRO...

• sadeyxsadeyx Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

I Prefer playing the Black Arrow class,  he's a bit squishy but does a lot of DPS

• McrobrewerMcrobrewer Member Posts: 36

I agree.... I have been playing this game since launch on basically just my hunter....

Started up a warden a little bit ago and having a blast with it... Part DPS,.... Part healing..... very fun

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

Originally posted by Mcrobrewer

I agree.... I have been playing this game since launch on basically just my hunter....

Started up a warden a little bit ago and having a blast with it... Part DPS,.... Part healing..... very fun

Yeah, I have to say that in some ways I envy the warden players. I just can't be looking at cheat sheets trying to come up with the correct combination while the smack down is, er... "smacking down".

And they look so cool.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • KyngBillsKyngBills Member UncommonPosts: 452

Captian is awesome for Group Buffs (especially for Crits if you get the Legendary weapon trait...My Guild Mates LOVE that...) and a decent secondary healer...I go sword and board with My Captain so he can definitely tank some...On the other hand I'm set up for Buff/D/Heal so it takes FOREVER to kill anything solo...It's a fun enough Class...There is a lot of flexability...But I like Hunter, Rune Keeper, maybe even Warden and Lore Master better...

one of the things I love about the way Turbine did the classes is that you can change them around pretty easy. My Minstrel spnds 80% of his time soloing and can stil do some decent  group healing but if the kinship plans on tough instance I switch out his armor, jewelry and a take a quick  trip to the bard for a trait rearrangement  and turn into super medic for the night :)

At the moment I have my Warden set up in shield and play as a medium armor tank relying on toughness and defense but a trip to the bard and I can switch over and buff up my damage by retraiting to the spear line.

By the way wardens are not that hard to play. When you start with a fist the gambit generaly act as a agro magnet, with  shield starting gambits just about always give you a HOT and when you start with a spear the gambits give DOTs and DD. What I like to do when soloing is pick out one of each and work just those three for an hour or so just to build up the class traits

I miss DAoC

• chriselchrisel Member UncommonPosts: 990

Go for the Captain.

Reasons are very simple; you will have mostly instant attacks & great survivability along with nice armor sets (heavy armors/plate) added with a personal HUMAN pet.

The casting time in LOTRO can be really frustrating from time to time along with the lame animations. The burglar feels like a sneaker covered in sirup. Burglar is an utterly fail in most of the ways.

A good contended is the Warden. But. It becomes incredibly boring to mash the same buttons over and over again. Warden alos have a ranged attack, but meh, it takes FOREVER to cast as well as the utterly lame animation.

One nice thing about the captain, is that Captain also have ranged attacks, which are instant. Perfect to pull with, and you are 'always' in action with that class. Definately the best & most fun to play of those 3 you have thought about.

Make us care MORE about our faction & world pvp!

Originally posted by chrisel

Go for the Captain.

Reasons are very simple; you will have mostly instant attacks & great survivability along with nice armor sets (heavy armors/plate) added with a personal HUMAN pet.

The casting time in LOTRO can be really frustrating from time to time along with the lame animations. The burglar feels like a sneaker covered in sirup. Burglar is an utterly fail in most of the ways.

A good contended is the Warden. But. It becomes incredibly boring to mash the same buttons over and over again. Warden alos have a ranged attack, but meh, it takes FOREVER to cast as well as the utterly lame animation.

One nice thing about the captain, is that Captain also have ranged attacks, which are instant. Perfect to pull with, and you are 'always' in action with that class. Definately the best & most fun to play of those 3 you have thought about.

obviously you have never played a Burg or a warden past lvl 7

Warden only has 1 attack which has a long induction - Ambush. The rest are fire as they hit the que. Mash the same buttons over and over? yeah sure. I guess that is why it is one of the most popular classes

I miss DAoC