Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

how can i reboot my computer

i just wanna know how i can reboot my computer... im gonno get a new one before GW comes out so i can play that but for now i just want to reboot this one. can anyone give me info step by step on how to reboot it?

me- Mom... can you get me a game?

mom- you can have this instead you dirty basterd!

*mom takes cigar and puts out the light on my forearm*
---------------------------------------------
Credit card declined eh? well let me just give you one of my many YAH!!!
*throws hand full of credit cards in waiters face*

Comments

• RavenStJRavenStJ Member Posts: 309

reboot or format?

• stone-seraphstone-seraph Member Posts: 376

to reboot:
    start menu => turn off computer => restart

to start your computer fresh (erase everything on it):
    command prompt => format C:

Make of it what you will.

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178

Originally posted by stone-seraph
    to reboot:
    start menu => turn off computer => restartto start your computer fresh (erase everything on it):
    command prompt => format C:

to reboot:
    you could also press your restart button.

to start your computer fresh (erase everything on it): (with windows XP_

Start => Run => Type: cmd and press enter => type format X: (x stand for the number of you hard drive)

• mister_GuSmister_GuS Member Posts: 811

OK u might need some system recovery CDs those work great(on my sony Vaio)
    but depends on you PC

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Riggy for shissy:
    Pent 4 2.66
    1 GIG ram
    Radeon X850XT Platinum Edition
    120 gigs of HD

REMEMBER: He who hates the beaner, Will loose his WIENER!

• jayheld90jayheld90 Member UncommonPosts: 1,726

shut down your computer and insert your boot disk in the floppy drive (which should contain MSdos 6.2) and start the computer.

Once the system has completed booting and an A: prompt appears. You will need to type format C: /s and then press Enter. The function of this command is to tell the system to format your "C" drive and when it is finished to copy the system files to the drive.

The "/s" switches for "System". You can format a different drive this way by using a different drive letter.

After that you will see on the screen the following text: "WARNING, ALL DATA ON NON-REMOVABLE DISK DRIVE C: WILL BE LOST! Proceed with Format (Y/N)?" and if you really want to continue, type [Y] and then press Enter.

Your screen should display the size of your drive and a countdown in percentage of formatting completed. Depending on your computer's speed and the size of the drive it can take from a few minutes to over 15 minutes.

When it reaches 100% complete, you will see a new message: FORMAT COMPLETE. SYSTEM TRANSFERRED. This message is to indicate that the files required to boot your computer from the hard drive have been copied from the floppy to the hard drive.

The computer can now boot from the hard drive without a boot disk in the floppy drive.

The last message that will appear on your screen is the following: "Volume label (11 characters, ENTER for none)?" You can either press any key to continue, or simply to press Enter. And now, you can finally begin to load your Operating System.

Keep in mind that you can receive an error message, which says "insufficient memory to load system files". If you do receive such message, do not worry. It is caused by the lack of a memory manager loaded at boot and your PC can only access the first 1mg of ram memory.

You can handle this situation with two options. The first one is to omit the /s switch when formatting. You should do it by typing this: FORMAT C: and then press Enter. Then when the format is complete, manually add the system files to your hard drive by using this command: SYS C: and press Enter again.

The second solution is to load a memory manager in order to overcome this issue. If you don't have any you can easily download one from one of the million sites on the Internet.

• bhugbhug Member UncommonPosts: 944

think alt + ctrl + del a few times (brings up the close program window,) reboots puter.

• FaintFaint Member Posts: 82

Go to a pro if you don't know what the difference between a reboot and reformat is. It will save everyone headaches when you fuck up your computer.

---------------------------

A Paid to Search that pays!

AMD Athlon XP 3000+ 2.2Ghz
    512MB of Ram
    NVIDIA GeForce4 MX Integrated GPU 64mb
    Realtek AC'97 Audio
    WinXP Home

Games playing : None. Please PM if you know any good games.

• saitoesaitoe Member Posts: 62

Originally posted by jayheld90

shut down your computer and insert your boot disk in the floppy drive (which should contain MSdos 6.2) and start the computer.
    Once the system has completed booting and an A: prompt appears. You will need to type format C: /s and then press Enter. The function of this command is to tell the system to format your "C" drive and when it is finished to copy the system files to the drive.
    The "/s" switches for "System". You can format a different drive this way by using a different drive letter.
    After that you will see on the screen the following text: "WARNING, ALL DATA ON NON-REMOVABLE DISK DRIVE C: WILL BE LOST! Proceed with Format (Y/N)?" and if you really want to continue, type [Y] and then press Enter.
    Your screen should display the size of your drive and a countdown in percentage of formatting completed. Depending on your computer's speed and the size of the drive it can take from a few minutes to over 15 minutes.
    When it reaches 100% complete, you will see a new message: FORMAT COMPLETE. SYSTEM TRANSFERRED. This message is to indicate that the files required to boot your computer from the hard drive have been copied from the floppy to the hard drive.
    The computer can now boot from the hard drive without a boot disk in the floppy drive.
    The last message that will appear on your screen is the following: "Volume label (11 characters, ENTER for none)?" You can either press any key to continue, or simply to press Enter. And now, you can finally begin to load your Operating System.
    Keep in mind that you can receive an error message, which says "insufficient memory to load system files". If you do receive such message, do not worry. It is caused by the lack of a memory manager loaded at boot and your PC can only access the first 1mg of ram memory.
    You can handle this situation with two options. The first one is to omit the /s switch when formatting. You should do it by typing this: FORMAT C: and then press Enter. Then when the format is complete, manually add the system files to your hard drive by using this command: SYS C: and press Enter again.
    The second solution is to load a memory manager in order to overcome this issue. If you don't have any you can easily download one from one of the million sites on the Internet.

i got to the point when it asks me to proceedand it asks me if i really want to, when i say yes it comes to a spot where it shows my memory like you said then it says format is in use by another process so it cant run and it asks me if i want to force a dismount on the volume, i said yes then it saysit cant open lock on drive.

me- Mom... can you get me a game?

mom- you can have this instead you dirty basterd!

*mom takes cigar and puts out the light on my forearm*
    ---------------------------------------------
    Credit card declined eh? well let me just give you one of my many YAH!!!
    *throws hand full of credit cards in waiters face*

• jayheld90jayheld90 Member UncommonPosts: 1,726

ive never seen that before...sorry i cant help you with that.