Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Building my first computer

lilsteezlilsteez Member Posts: 31

Parts List:

Case: Azza Solano 1000 Black ATX Full Tower Case 10X5.25 1X3.5 8X3.5INT 2X230MM LED Fans & Window No PSU

Power Supply: OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W

MOBO: EVGA P55 FTW ATX LGA1156 DDR3 SLI CrossFire 3PCI-E16 1PCI-E1 2PCI Sound GBLAN Motherboard

CPU: Intel Core i5 750 Quad Core Processor Lynnfield LGA1156 2.66GHZ 8MB Cache

Heatsink: Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H50

RAM: G.SKILL F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL Ripjaws PC3-12800 4GB 2X2GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 Core i5 1.5V

Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 5770 XXX 875MHZ 1GB 5.2GHZ GDDR5 2XDVI HDMI Display Port DIRECTX11 PCI-E

Sound Card: AuzenTech X-PLOSION Cinema 7.1 Sound Card DTS Connect Dolby Digital Live Sound Card PCI 32BIT

Network Adapter: ASUS PCE-N31 Wireless Network Adapter 802.11B/G/N Up to 300MBPS PCI-EXPRESS

HDD: Western Digital 500GB SATA2 7200 RPM

That along with some accessories:

-Razer Mamba Wireless Gaming Laser Mouse 5600DPI

-Logitech Classic Keyboard 200(pretty cheap spill resistant keyboard)

-Logitech G35 7.1 Surround Sound Gaming Headset

After a LOT of shopping around looking for the best prices here in canada it cost me about $1400 CAD(are dollar is pretty close to the US dollar right now)  for all of that before mail in rebates. Still looking around for a monitor If anyone has any suggestions.

Anyways I'm just pretty excited to start building my new Desktop, wanted to know what you guys thought.

Comments

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

just wanted to say I got a lot more satisfaction from using a self build than i did when i bought a ready made

and certainly won't be going back any time soon

• lilsteezlilsteez Member Posts: 31

Ya i've been a laptop gamer until now. Just doing the shopping for my parts was weirdly satisfying. I definitly don't see myself ever buying premades again.

• pythipythi Member UncommonPosts: 63

Originally posted by lilsteez

Parts List:

Case: Azza Solano 1000 Black ATX Full Tower Case 10X5.25 1X3.5 8X3.5INT 2X230MM LED Fans & Window No PSU

MOBO: EVGA P55 FTW ATX LGA1156 DDR3 SLI CrossFire 3PCI-E16 1PCI-E1 2PCI Sound GBLAN Motherboard

RAM: G.SKILL F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL Ripjaws PC3-12800 4GB 2X2GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 Core i5 1.5V

Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 5770 XXX 875MHZ 1GB 5.2GHZ GDDR5 2XDVI HDMI Display Port DIRECTX11 PCI-E

Sound Card: AuzenTech X-PLOSION Cinema 7.1 Sound Card DTS Connect Dolby Digital Live Sound Card PCI 32BIT

Network Adapter: ASUS PCE-N31 Wireless Network Adapter 802.11B/G/N Up to 300MBPS PCI-EXPRESS

After a LOT of shopping around looking for the best prices here in canada it cost me about $1400 CAD(are dollar is pretty close to the US dollar right now)  for all of that before mail in rebates. Still looking around for a monitor If anyone has any suggestions.

Anyways I'm just pretty excited to start building my new Desktop, wanted to know what you guys thought.

I have no idea if you are a first time desktop builder or not, from what I see you are, some tips look at pictures, may sound dumb but when you are looking at the pictures check the layout of pins, connectors, fans, try to plan out how and where you are going to put your SATA cabels, if you should connect the SATA cabels before mounting the MB into the case or tray, you get the point.

If you are looking for advice or anyones past builds . I would have to say stay away from EVGA motherboards far, far away.

I have had 4 EVGA mobos first one was pretty decent the capacitors only blew up after about 8 months. The next 2 were bought from newegg 2 DOA's and the last one worked for about 4 months then one of the intergrated chips blew up frying the motherboard.

I would however recomend DFI boards, never had to use any kind of support for them so I cannot tell you how it is, thats a good thing. (DFI boards I have seen from many people say are for more of an experianced builder, I find that its not experiance that is needed but common sense, use the booklet etc. An extreme number of options can be confusing at times)

The second thing is the ATI card, ATI makes great cards however many games and I mean many have problems with their drivers for what ever reason, ATI is in my current build a 4870 preforms fantastic, never had a slow down in any game, its just that I cannot play all games that I buy (Sabotuer, BF: BC2 ATI cards load 3-4xs slower on anything other than DX9, however DX9 is faulty at best in that game)

Unless you plan on using your desktop as a hotspot or wireless, ditch the NIC I have never seen anything worth extra money then what your motherboard provides.

Heatsink is a great idea since Intels heatsinks are a nightmare to mount properly.

The sound card is something that is always a plus, never felt the need for one.

The RAM G.skill would never be my first choice however it could quite possibly be the best bang for your buck.

Everything else looks fine, I do not use anything fancy for the mouse or keyboard other than the standard laser/wireless.

Just some tips, all in all it is always up to you to find what you like and dislike in brands for quality and preformance.

Good luck, have fun.

Exocide

• DaggerjaydoDaggerjaydo Member UncommonPosts: 121

I agree about the motherboard, I'd grab another brand if possible.

I've had quite a lot of good experiences with G.Skill.

My only other recommendation would be going for the i7-920, it's only about 80 bucks more. if you can afford it, it's definitely worth it, oh and if you plan on overclocking at all, or are worried in any way about heat issues, grab a zalman heat sink.

They work wonders.

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

Well it all looks good to me, not sure about people complaining about the Mobo not that I'm saying they're wrong but I've always used Asus for some years now. A friend of mine built a similar system and he used a Gigabyte mobo and I haven't heard any complaints from him over it.

As to the peripherals first Razer make the best mice in my opinion, full stop. If you're going to play MMORPGs I would however reccoment the Razer Naga I used to own a Razer Deathadder which was the best mouse I'd ever used. I got the Naga on a reccomendation from these forums and never regreted it, I now consider it an essential for MMORPG gaming.

Keyboards I'd go with the G15 or if you play FPS too the Merc Stealth, both awesome keyboards with macro abilities.

Headset I'm not sure I'm sure logitech is good just I use the creative fatality and it's a fairly low cost headset, comfortable and works well.

About the tower it looks just like an Antec 900, hopefully it doesn't have the same problem with the power cord from the PSU to mobo, especially when you have a damn GPU installed.

You may want to get a larger HD or install a second 500GB one.

I have a 5770 gpu and it's the best GPU I've owned in price to performance to power ratio.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

Parts List:

op make sure youe network card,intel cpu and mobo support direct cache access (yes its mandatory its the only reason i see to buy an intel instead of a amd.

so you might want to trade the mobo for an intel one same for network card

beside these point!you should be fine!

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

Originally posted by pythi

Parts List:

I have no idea if you are a first time desktop builder or not, from what I see you are, some tips look at pictures, may sound dumb but when you are looking at the pictures check the layout of pins, connectors, fans, try to plan out how and where you are going to put your SATA cabels, if you should connect the SATA cabels before mounting the MB into the case or tray, you get the point.

If you are looking for advice or anyones past builds . I would have to say stay away from EVGA motherboards far, far away.

I have had 4 EVGA mobos first one was pretty decent the capacitors only blew up after about 8 months. The next 2 were bought from newegg 2 DOA's and the last one worked for about 4 months then one of the intergrated chips blew up frying the motherboard.

I would however recomend DFI boards, never had to use any kind of support for them so I cannot tell you how it is, thats a good thing. (DFI boards I have seen from many people say are for more of an experianced builder, I find that its not experiance that is needed but common sense, use the booklet etc. An extreme number of options can be confusing at times)

The second thing is the ATI card, ATI makes great cards however many games and I mean many have problems with their drivers for what ever reason, ATI is in my current build a 4870 preforms fantastic, never had a slow down in any game, its just that I cannot play all games that I buy (Sabotuer, BF: BC2 ATI cards load 3-4xs slower on anything other than DX9, however DX9 is faulty at best in that game)

Unless you plan on using your desktop as a hotspot or wireless, ditch the NIC I have never seen anything worth extra money then what your motherboard provides.

Heatsink is a great idea since Intels heatsinks are a nightmare to mount properly.

The sound card is something that is always a plus, never felt the need for one.

The RAM G.skill would never be my first choice however it could quite possibly be the best bang for your buck.

Everything else looks fine, I do not use anything fancy for the mouse or keyboard other than the standard laser/wireless.

Just some tips, all in all it is always up to you to find what you like and dislike in brands for quality and preformance.

Good luck, have fun.

you can remove saboteur they support it (10.3 reinstall)

• noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170

Originally posted by Daggerjaydo

My only other recommendation would be going for the i7-920, it's only about 80 bucks more. if you can afford it, it's definitely worth it, oh and if you plan on overclocking at all, or are worried in any way about heat issues, grab a zalman heat sink.

True, but going i7-920 has more hidden costs, the mobos are about $30 more, and you have to buy 6GB of ram instead of 4GB which is another $50 (You could go 3GB and save $25 but that would suck for a brand new build)

I hate Intel heatsinks more than anything!

As to the build my suggestion is this, dump the sound card, they aren't really useful these days, and unless you plan on heavily OC'ing step down to a slightly more affordable mobo. If you save enough on those 2 items, use the money jump up from a 5770 to a 5850 which matches perfectly with the i5-750.

Last thing, find out if that WD 500GB hard drive is a Green, Blue or Black. If it's Green you don't want it, Green is only useful for low-performance storage. The Black is overpriced, $70 for a 500GB hard drive when you can get a Seagate 7200.12 500GB or Samsung F3 500GB for $55.

• DaggerjaydoDaggerjaydo Member UncommonPosts: 121

Originally posted by noquarter

True, but going i7-920 has more hidden costs, the mobos are about $30 more, and you have to buy 6GB of ram instead of 4GB which is another $50 (You could go 3GB and save $25 but that would suck for a brand new build)

As to the build my suggestion is this, dump the sound card, they aren't really useful these days, and unless you plan on heavily OC'ing step down to a slightly more affordable mobo. If you save enough on those 2 items, use the money jump up from a 5770 to a 5850 which matches perfectly with the i5-750.

Buying 6gb of ram is no more of a requirement than it would be if he had a i5-750.... more RAM doesn't make anymore difference with different processors than less RAM.

Yeah, didn't notice the sound card, you don't need it.

I'm also confused about that last statement, while I would recommend the 5850 just because it's better, what makes you think it's a better fit for the i5-750?

• noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170

Originally posted by noquarter

Buying 6gb of ram is no more of a requirement than it would be if he had a i5-750.... more RAM doesn't make anymore difference with different processors than less RAM.

Yeah, didn't notice the sound card, you don't need it.

I'm also confused about that last statement, while I would recommend the 5850 just because it's better, what makes you think it's a better fit for the i5-750?

Right but on the ram there is still a significant boost going from 3GB to 4GB, beyond 4GB there is almost no change, since ram is just workspace as long as you have enough there's no performance gain by adding more. At 3GB, many mmo's can take up almost 2GB, and the OS likes at least 1GB itself these days, meaning 3GB is not quite enough. But in an i7-920 you have to do 3gb or 6gb so it would be a shame to do only 3gb.

All I meant for better fit is that a 5770 would hold back an i5-750, a 5850 is just right for that CPU as in neither part would be holding back the other. If you go with a 5770 you don't need as fast as a CPU to push it.