Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best Single Player RPG for me?

dothackkingdothackking Member UncommonPosts: 74

Now, I haven't found a forum on the internet that specializes in single-player RPG's, so I'm going to ask your opinion what the best RPG is for me, taking in mind my criteria for what I THINK I would like (obviously I don't know if I like something before I try it)

Criteria 1:  I want an rpg where I can grind, and it actually does something (Oblivion the monsters level WITH you, as well as [to a point] Sacred 2, that's not cool)

Criteria 2: I want an rpg where I can hit high levels, no "max level 20" such as guild wars.   50, fine, 99 even better.

Something like ff12 would be amazing, or like Sacred 2 minus the enemies leveling up with you.   Oblivion I feel had decent gameplay, but the character customization...was too....much, it took me 5 hrs to create a character, only to decide 5 hrs in that I didn't like him.

Hell I'll even take some alternative type RPG's like Borderlands, as long as they're good and PREFERABLY fit my criteria, or you think based on the games I listed, I would like.

Any recommendations?

Comments

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age is all you need!

• Toquio3Toquio3 Member Posts: 1,074

Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines fits absolutely none of your criteria, so you should definitely give it a go. The crazier the option the better. Its an amazing rpg.

If you stand VERY still, and close your eyes, after a minute you can actually FEEL the universe revolving around PvP.

• dothackkingdothackking Member UncommonPosts: 74

Originally posted by SaintViktor

I honestly didn't care for ANY of those...    Mass Effect wasn't bad until I spent about 5 hours straight driving a moon-car with horrible controls.   Dragon Age bored me right out of the gate.     Also for some info:  I own all the Baldurs Gate PC games, not interested.    May give Dragon Age another shot....but my first attempt to play that game made me think the game was designed to put people to sleep, while they play.   I also thought the combat in Dragon Age was really bad.

Own both of the KOTOR games incase those are mentioned.   Will look up the game the other person listed.

• KharumKharum Member Posts: 94

I'm not much of a RPG player, but I do like them. So far I've found Deus Ex, Fallout 3, Mount & Blade and The Witcher entertaining, but I don't think those fit your criteria.

Waiting on Xsyon & betaing stuff

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

FF 13 just came out. I'm enjoying it. You can also try games like Titan Quest. I'm having fun with that right now too.

• hauptmann85hauptmann85 Member Posts: 29

Not sure if Fallout 3 would fit  your critieras, but it was fun as hell to play!

If you do decide to get it, get the game of the year edition so you get the original game with all 5 expansion packs.

Originally posted by elocke

FF 13 just came out. I'm enjoying it. You can also try games like Titan Quest. I'm having fun with that right now too.

I bought ff13 at the midnight release...I hear it gets good at chapter 9 or so, too bad I can't force myself to sit through another minute of the next 3 chapters to get there.   Will check out Titan Quest, as well.  Thanks

• zeowyrmzeowyrm Member Posts: 746

I second the Titan Quest recommendation.  http://www.titanquest.net

Grab the fanpatch, and check out the mod community as well.  The fanbase to this game is very devoted.

Originally posted by zeowyrm

I second the Titan Quest recommendation.  http://www.titanquest.net

Grab the fanpatch, and check out the mod community as well.  The fanbase to this game is very devoted.

Titan quest does indeed look good, it looks just like Diablo 2 cept I haven't played it 5000000x

• elderotterelderotter Member Posts: 651

Originally posted by dothackking

Now, I haven't found a forum on the internet that specializes in single-player RPG's, so I'm going to ask your opinion what the best RPG is for me, taking in mind my criteria for what I THINK I would like (obviously I don't know if I like something before I try it)

Criteria 1:  I want an rpg where I can grind, and it actually does something (Oblivion the monsters level WITH you, as well as [to a point] Sacred 2, that's not cool)

Criteria 2: I want an rpg where I can hit high levels, no "max level 20" such as guild wars.   50, fine, 99 even better.

Something like ff12 would be amazing, or like Sacred 2 minus the enemies leveling up with you.   Oblivion I feel had decent gameplay, but the character customization...was too....much, it took me 5 hrs to create a character, only to decide 5 hrs in that I didn't like him.

Hell I'll even take some alternative type RPG's like Borderlands, as long as they're good and PREFERABLY fit my criteria, or you think based on the games I listed, I would like.

Any recommendations?

there are mods for oblivion that give you random monsters and lvls of monsters.  It gets interesting as a low level character when you run into a minor horde of critters higher level than you - your run skill gets high quick.

Originally posted by elderotter

Any recommendations?

there are mods for oblivion that give you random monsters and lvls of monsters.  It gets interesting as a low level character when you run into a minor horde of critters higher level than you - your run skill gets high quick.

That actually sounds pretty cool.

• GrandVizierGrandVizier Member UncommonPosts: 72

Any recommendations?

I found Martine's mods stellar for Oblivion.  I can't recall the exact names offhand, but there was two of them I think ('Martine's Monster Mod' sound familiar to me for one).  Can stop mob scaling, can add new creatures, can tweak the loot tables so you get more realistic drops (i.e. garbage leather armor off a mob who was wearing plate).  The nice thing is the installers walk you through each option so you can turn on/off and tweak what YOU want the game to play like.... even as far as altering how fast a day in-game time goes by, whether you want insta-travel, or even how fast your character can level (installer recommends slowing it down).  Very good mods that I highly recommend.

"Asking permission is easier than asking forgiveness."

"Without power, one dies."

-State Pestage, Grand Vizier

• elderotterelderotter Member Posts: 651

Originally posted by GrandVizier

Any recommendations?

I found Martine's mods stellar for Oblivion.  I can't recall the exact names offhand, but there was two of them I think ('Martine's Monster Mod' sound familiar to me for one).  Can stop mob scaling, can add new creatures, can tweak the loot tables so you get more realistic drops (i.e. garbage leather armor off a mob who was wearing plate).  The nice thing is the installers walk you through each option so you can turn on/off and tweak what YOU want the game to play like.... even as far as altering how fast a day in-game time goes by, whether you want insta-travel, or even how fast your character can level (installer recommends slowing it down).  Very good mods that I highly recommend.

yes, the mods for Oblivion are among the best for any game I have encountered.  The mods for Civilization 4 were good too as I remember.

• BannneBannne Member Posts: 244

Originally posted by SaintViktor

He didn't ask for movies ,he asked for RPG that are actually RPG instead of overated boring predictable movies.

Anyway to the OP

The Witcher EE  http://www.gametrailers.com/video/exclusive-full-the-witcher/27143

Play the game now and prepair yourself for the best sequel to any RPG ever coming in early 2011.

The Witcher 2 http://http://www.gametrailers.com/video/exclusive-debut-the-witcher/63501?type=flv

Real adult RPG at it's best http://www.thewitcher.com/

Dragonsang http://www.drakensang.de/

DAO style rpg but sandbox and ten times better.

• dar_es_balatdar_es_balat Member Posts: 438

Try Quest for Glory.  The whole series was great.

Its old, but whocares.  Its also free.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hero's_Quest

Crappy, petty people breed and raise crappy, petty kids.

Originally posted by GrandVizier

Any recommendations?

yes, the mods for Oblivion are among the best for any game I have encountered.  The mods for Civilization 4 were good too as I remember.

I hope so :O   Aside from the two flaws I mentioned I quite liked Oblivion, and with the mods you mentioned, it sounds like it finally became a decent game.   Now I just gotta buy a new copy since mine's for 360 xD

• GrandVizierGrandVizier Member UncommonPosts: 72

I hope so :O   Aside from the two flaws I mentioned I quite liked Oblivion, and with the mods you mentioned, it sounds like it finally became a decent game.   Now I just gotta buy a new copy since mine's for 360 xD

Just a note, if you play the game without these mods and then you go back and play it after installing it can be a bit of a shock.  It can crank up the difficulty a lot compared to vanilla version.

One link for Martigen's Monster Mod can be found here:  http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=OblivionMods.Detail&id=61997&id=1757

The second one I was thinking of was calls Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul and a link can be found here: http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=OblivionMods.Detail&id=294

If you don't want to download from Planet Elder Scrolls you can google and find others, but these were the ones I bookmarked.

"Asking permission is easier than asking forgiveness."

"Without power, one dies."

-State Pestage, Grand Vizier

I am currently working on getting Titan Quest (I have no money, but that's the one that interests me most.)    My friend may even play with me, making it that much better.    Popped in Sacred 2 and there were ZERO people and 0 games?    Considering a new expan just came out recently...that's pretty crappy.

• zeowyrmzeowyrm Member Posts: 746

I am currently working on getting Titan Quest (I have no money, but that's the one that interests me most.)    My friend may even play with me, making it that much better.    Popped in Sacred 2 and there were ZERO people and 0 games?    Considering a new expan just came out recently...that's pretty crappy.

That may be because the expansion was not released in the US or compatible with the NA version of the game.  Ascaron going under and Deep Silver taking over more or less ruined the game for American players who don't want to reinvest in a EU version of the game.  Not to mention that the console versions, which are superior imo, are being left in their extremely buggy state.

• inBOILinBOIL Member Posts: 669

Ancient Domains Of Mystery (ADOM),Neverwinter nights,Morrowind MGE

Generation P

Originally posted by zeowyrm

That may be because the expansion was not released in the US or compatible with the NA version of the game.  Ascaron going under and Deep Silver taking over more or less ruined the game for American players who don't want to reinvest in a EU version of the game.  Not to mention that the console versions, which are superior imo, are being left in their extremely buggy state.

The consoles were harder to target bbut i did play both versions and greatly preferred the console overall

also: whoever recommended me the Oblivion mods, these seem complicated and the OOO mod actually doesn't seem like something I want, does Martine's mod change the enemy levels?  I didn't see that in the short notes on the site.