Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

would you guys recommend FFXI??

I have some questions to ask...

1. how would you compare lvling system compare to Lineage 2?? (is it faster than L2 or slower?)

2. any item drops when dying like L2?

3. I heard its a zone map, but how long does it take to load to antother area?

4. what about the penalty after death? does the xp penalty cost alot like lineage 2 or is it fast enough to recover the lost xp?

Comments

• StrongladyStronglady Member UncommonPosts: 29

The answers to your questions.

1. I have never played L2, my answer to the comparison to leveling is I wouldn't know so. Yeah but I have heard from friends playing L2. It very time consuming to level in L2. In my experience playing FF XI, the hardest thing for me is to level 1-10..... it was like hell for me. After you get to level 10. Leveling gets a bit easier because you get to have a party.

2. No items drop.

3. No long load time depending on your ISP and the where you are at playing the game. (Ex. Jueno, Windurst, Bastok and San d'Oria.)

4. 10% is lost when you die.

• ghostinfinitghostinfinit Member UncommonPosts: 552

I can offer what I know about this game having spent the last 9 months or so of my life playing this game. First the answers:

1) sorry never played it.

2) you don't drop items when you die

3) it takes a few seconds to zone from area to area.  it can save you or kill you.  save you if a monster is chasing you but can kill you if the monster is too close and it gets 2-4 more hits on you while you zone. (I've woke up dead on the other side more than once)

4) death= 10% exp loss of the amount of exp you need to make to your next level if you return to your home point, 5% loss if you get Raise 1 (from red mage, white mage, or paladin) less exp% losses for Raises 2&3 but only for level's 50+

Would I recommend this game?  Hmmm, tough question.  This game isn't terrible, but it's not earth shattering either.  I leveled a paladin to 64, a ranger to 56 and several other jobs to 40+.  Exping can be very monotonous, near impossible to exp solo.  To be truly dominant in the job you choose you really need to have the right race.  Any race can play any job, but don't expect to see an Elvaan mage cast with the awesome power of a Tarutaru or a TaruTaru to tank with the efficiency of an Elvaan or Galka.  Gear and skills are a pretty level playing field, ie: my level 60 Hume black mage has the same stats naked as your 60 Hume black mage with no gear on.  The tie breaker comes with gear, and the good stuff will cost you millions.    

Another thing that irritated me about FFXI was running into your clones.  One of my best friends in game (shout out to Descartes on titan server, lol) had a 60+ Paladin just like I did.  We chose the same job, same character model and had the same armor.  As much as I love this guy it was kind of a downer, and I'm sure he felt the same way.  Paladin artifact armor, (full set) is a pain in the butt to get and it was a drag to run into dozens of your clones in the EXACT same gear you had on. 

Which brings me to another point, there is almost only one efficient path to play FFXI.  ie: you hit this level, you had better get this armor/weapon or you have this job, well you better sub this job etc etc.  You obviously can play any way you want.  Unfortunately only a few jobs have this luxury to do this and still consistently get parties.  Like I said, you cannot solo this game, you MUST party or you will get nowhere any time soon. 

Now you may ask, why I stayed nearly a year.  Well, this was my first MMORPG experience.  Since I left I've been pouring over forums for different games, learning what I can.  Many of the games that are out, in beta or coming to beta soon have pretty much all the good stuff FFXI has and even taken things further.  What kept me so long in FFXI was probably the very good friends I made there.  As a whole (and this is based one the reviews and posts I've read about other games) FFXI is a pretty average game.  Guild Wars seems ok, and World of Warcraft has really caught my eye.  I'd check into those and really decide what you want to experience as a gamer.  I hope I answered your questions, and good luck!