Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A victory for the small man !

kwaikwai Member UncommonPosts: 825

As topic states, today my dispute ended on paypal in my favor , got my money back even though cryptic refused to give me my money back.

Even though they could have pulled the "intangible goods such as digital goods or services" trick on me, which is part of paypal's seller policy.

So if there is anyone who was charged for the STO sub even though they cancelled, go ahead and start your dispute process's :)

Comments

• BetabooBetaboo Member Posts: 384

Excellent i am glad you got your money back from cryptic. :)

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

Rock on.

Most of the folks I know successfully reversed the charges, that tried. Mostly the argument hinged on "defective" merchandise clause or the "tried in good faith to resolve disputes" parts of customer protection laws.

Cryptic did themselves a serious financial dis-service by not delivering a lot of the promised bonus items. That provided a clear cut example for people to say "I was promised this thing, paid my money, and did not get it." and then successfully petition to get the charges reversed.

Oh well.

• mmcguire2mmcguire2 Member Posts: 310

Its a good start, people shouldn't be forced to pay for a game like this.  I would have bought it day one too if I didn't get into beta.  this game could have been so much more.  I hope this will be a wake up call to MMO devs, the name doens't make the game.

• SwoogieSwoogie Member UncommonPosts: 399

They say bad press is good press becuase it increases the number of people who know about the product.

However, that isnt working with STO. I will not touch the game that I was thinking of picking up. I guess Ill wait for a free trail to pop up so i can see how bad it really is with my own eyes.

Thanks for all the "STO is lame" threads. They saved me money (which is very precious).

• Die_ScreamDie_Scream Member Posts: 1,785

Originally posted by Swoogie

They say bad press is good press becuase it increases the number of people who know about the product.

However, that isnt working with STO. I will not touch the game that I was thinking of picking up. I guess Ill wait for a free trail to pop up so i can see how bad it really is with my own eyes.

Thanks for all the "STO is lame" threads. They saved me money (which is very precious).

Swoogie, I am being perfectly honest here when I say, stick with LOTRO. Now that, is a polished PvE MMO, complete game with beautiful graphics and so many things to do you can feel overwhelmed, as you know, being a player.

STO is the complete opposite in every way. It's shallow, repetative, uninteresting, one-dimentional monotony. STO is no where near polished, not even close. Content is the same repeating 3 missions all the way to cap. Kill 5, scan 5, or ...maybe two types of mission now that I think of it.

I urge you to not givbe Cryptic one red cent for STO, as any money is reward for failier.

I know everyone online likes to say "fail!" and it loses it's real meaning, but STO is truly a failed attempt. Worse, the game doesn't even make you feel Cryptic did attempt to do a good job. It is from bottom to top simply a slapped together hodge-podge of reskinned crummy gameplay from CO.

I have returned to middle earth, and I will tell you, it truely is like eating a steak (LOTRO) after trying to live on unsalted crackers (STO).

• buegurbuegur Member UncommonPosts: 457

I never could get into Lotr as the character classes were too limited and character models of what I liked, looked like dumplings (Dwarf/Hobbit).  Game enviroments were nice, but overall too shallow of game play mechanics for me.  One other thing that totally turned me off is that there isn't a Orc/Goblin side playable.  Game would of been much nicer with Sauron/Saruman/goodie sides revolving around conflict and territorial gains.

If your looking for a deep game Vanguard has much more depth in my opinion.  EQ2 also has a ton of options to customize your toon.

As I'm still having a blast playing STO i'll stick with that for the time being.

• TheHellfireTheHellfire Member Posts: 67

Have you tried playing past level 10?

Originally posted by buegur

I never could get into Lotr as the character classes were too limited and character models of what I liked, looked like dumplings (Dwarf/Hobbit).  Game enviroments were nice, but overall too shallow of game play mechanics for me.  One other thing that totally turned me off is that there isn't a Orc/Goblin side playable.  Game would of been much nicer with Sauron/Saruman/goodie sides revolving around conflict and territorial gains.

If your looking for a deep game Vanguard has much more depth in my opinion.  EQ2 also has a ton of options to customize your toon.

As I'm still having a blast playing STO i'll stick with that for the time being.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

<p>
    One thing i do have to say, is that you can generally get a feel for how well a given game will do based on the player reviews that are often given here, some might well be biaised, but every now and then, there is a gem of a review that actually goes into detail about why a given game is either good or bad. while personal experience with a game is entirely subjective, its a useful tool i think in determining whether or not a game which may have peaked my interest is worth closer scrutiny... and its probably saved me a fair amount of cash in finding out the hard way, or reinforced a decision to actually go out and buy it.. so .. congrats on getting your money refunded - and thanks to everyone who told it like it is</p>

• Rifle123Rifle123 Member UncommonPosts: 38

buegur ,

You found LOTRO to be to shallow to play but you are enjoying STO??

STO is what took me back to LOTRO.  It made me appreciate a development house that has real respect for an IP and cares enough to deliver a polished MMO representation of Middle Earth.

To each their own but comparing the quality of work put into LOTRO with STO is like comparing Monet to a paint by numbers kit.