Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMOfans = Metalfans?

Comments

• Biohazard931Biohazard931 Member UncommonPosts: 196

Originally posted by Shastra

Originally posted by Biohazard931

I don't think so. I love MMOS but i hate Metal. I am not fond of screaming and loud noises.

I'm getting sick of that. It's not noise. Go back and listen to something mainstream.

Sorry but its just loud noise, my friends have forced me to listen to mainstream and it still gives me a headache.

It conveys a message. Most mainstream bands are just losers who don't know what real music is. They're a bunch of little pussies. Metal is for people with sense.

Once again, it's not noise.

If you don't like other people opinion i suggest stay away from any kind of forums.

Lol, who died and made you moderator?

I don't think you understand or realise yet that us metal lovers are pretty much bombarded with  'its just noise' constantly. I believe that is you not liking our opinion.

Backfire much?

OP asked if MMO fans = metalfans, i replied saying no because i am one of those who like MMO but dislike Metal, reason? because in my opinion its just loud noises. That was my opinion. I never replied to you, iw as replying to the op.

You instead jumped on me because you have problem with me disliking your favorite kind of music. So yeah its ironic that you are telling me that i have problem with your opinion. No i don't care what you like, i am answering to OP not you.

Once again, if you don't like other people opinions or they like things different then yours, stay away from public forums (one does not need to be a mod to understand somethign so basic).

K

• ShastraShastra Member Posts: 1,061

yeah thanks for your well thought opinion. I uber fail because i don't like what you like. I guess you clicked on this topic thinking everyone will agree with you and like Metal right? lol

• HarkkumHarkkum Member Posts: 180

If you follow the links people do post on various Youtube videos there seems to be two major genres that are followed atleast by those who do make gameplay videos: metal and electro-trance-dance-whatchamacallit. Rare are the occassions when you see a gameplay video with jazz fusion played on the background. It does not make all MMO fans to fit into these two predefined groups, just my highly subjective observation.

• MyskMysk Member Posts: 982

Symphonic metal ftw.

Also, new posting box.  Ohhh.. it's ... so much prettier. O.O

• cukimungacukimunga Member UncommonPosts: 2,258

I don't think so. I love MMOS but i hate Metal. I am not fond of screaming and loud noises.

I'm getting sick of that. It's not noise. Go back and listen to something mainstream.

Well by the definition of noise  any kind of sound is considered a Noise, be it a clank of a metal gas can or Mariah Carey's voice. But if you really want to hear some noise check out this band, I find it quite interesting,  I like experimental music.  http://iluvgirlswithglasses.bandcamp.com/album/south-to-the-naktong-north-to-the-yalu

I like both heavy and light music and songs that do both well are just amazing. There is a lot of emotion in screaming and heavy distorted and loud guitar riffs but its a different kind of emotion than playing a clean riff and singing all pretty.  I was pretty close minded with music when I was in High School, I listened mostly Punk and thats  all. I hated electronic music and didn't even consider it "real" music.  But once I started going to Raves and Hippie fests and done some acid I became more open minded with music and I think that as helped me understand the music better and feel where the musicians are coming from. Plus I woudln't be the musician I am today if I didn't experience all these things.   Even though I don't like metal I respect them as musicians because I am one myself.

• SarykSaryk Member UncommonPosts: 476

Love metal/hard rock sometimes classical, won't listen to anything else. Go figure

• NythiousNythious Member Posts: 32

Metallica isn't metal, it's a bunch of sell out asshats who discovered if you growl at the end of every sentence it makes you sound 'hardcore'

Metallica is metal is like comparing the Rugrats to South Park. 

They've got some pretty good sounds, but they are the softest 'metal' i've ever heard if you consider them.  I've always considered Metallica hard rock / soft metal at best.  I used to like them when I was much younger but now I cant stand listening to them. 

and yes, I'm an MMOer and a Metal head. 

Gaming is serious business.

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

Hm. I've known a lot of MMO players over the years who listened to trance, techno, and rap.

Personally, I prefer Black Metal, Death Metal, and Hardcore Industrial (ie Combichrist).

• jiveturkey12jiveturkey12 Member CommonPosts: 1,262

Originally posted by Nythious

Metallica isn't metal, it's a bunch of sell out asshats who discovered if you growl at the end of every sentence it makes you sound 'hardcore'

They've got some pretty good sounds, but they are the softest 'metal' i've ever heard if you consider them.  I've always considered Metallica hard rock / soft metal at best.  I used to like them when I was much younger but now I cant stand listening to them. 

Soft, are you kidding me? Have you ever listened to anything prior to the Black album?

So your telling me the songs, Creeping Death, Blackened, Master of Puppets, Seek and Destroy, and For whom the Bell Tolls, are all hard rock?

Disturbed is Hard Rock, Breaking Benjamin, System of a Down, they always have been,

not Metallica.

Originally posted by jiveturkey12

Soft, are you kidding me? Have you ever listened to anything prior to the Black album?

So your telling me the songs, Creeping Death, Blackened, Master of Puppets, Seek and Destroy, and For whom the Bell Tolls, are all hard rock?

Disturbed is Hard Rock, Breaking Benjamin, System of a Down, they always have been,

not Metallica.

Dude, Metallica post "In Justice" is not the same. It's like a totally different band. In fact, they BECAME what they were ranting against in the "In Justice" album. Hypocricy at it's finest!!!

Cliff is rolling in his grave, man.

As an aside, I still have my shirt that I got at the "Justice" show....I think the phrase on it ("Their money tips her scales again") is perfect irony.

I don't even own any Metallica anymore. Friggin' sellouts.

Originally posted by Wharg0ul

not Metallica.

Dude, Metallica post "In Justice" is not the same. It's like a totally different band. In fact, they BECAME what they were ranting against in the "In Justice" album. Hypocricy at it's finest!!!

As an aside, I still have my shirt that I got at the "Justice" show....I think the phrase on it ("Their money tips her scales again") is perfect irony.

Dude, read his post. He says quiet plainly "I've always considered Metallica hard rock / soft metal at best."

And like I said in my post, if you listen to anything before the black album they are metal as hell. So your basically just re-iterating what i just said haha. Cool story about the shirt though, that is damn fine irony.

• OmasuOmasu Member Posts: 51

I can't stand metal personally. I don't see the talent in it.

Originally posted by Omasu

Then your obviously generalizing what you believe to be metal. It doesnt have to be drop B tuned and screaming to be metal. I can understand where you would have a hard time finding the talent in that style of metal. But Iron Maiden, Sabbath, im sure you can see the Talent in that.

Originally posted by Wharg0ul

not Metallica.

Dude, read his post. He says quiet plainly "I've always considered Metallica hard rock / soft metal at best."

And like I said in my post, if you listen to anything before the black album they are metal as hell. So your basically just re-iterating what i just said haha. Cool story about the shirt though, that is damn fine irony.

Not arguing with ya, man....just tossing in my 2 cents :)

• PapadamPapadam Member Posts: 2,102

Go out and buy an Opeth album and if you dont see the talent then I guess there is no hope for you :p

Opeth>All

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd

• OmasuOmasu Member Posts: 51

Certainly. 

I'll rephrase to say I don't see talent in "modern" metal. 

Certainly. 

I'll rephrase to say I don't see talent in "modern" metal. 

Yeah, screw those Nu-metal kids. Bunch of morons.

• dar_es_balatdar_es_balat Member Posts: 438

Originally posted by Papadam

Go out and buy an Opeth album and if you dont see the talent then I guess there is no hope for you :p

Opeth>All

Wow.  Opeth?  Seriously?

Do you also like Limp Bizkit and Linkin Park?

Real Music -

http://www.reverbnation.com/oneinthechamber

http://highonfire.net/

Crappy, petty people breed and raise crappy, petty kids.

Originally posted by dar_es_balat

Opeth>All

Wow.  Opeth?  Seriously?

Real Music -

Why don't you piss off? I don't think you understand where that guy is coming from. You mock him by asking if he likes LP yet those morons are NOTHING like a respectable band like Opeth.

I guess it really depends also on your definition of "metal".

I don't personally consider Sabbath, etc as "metal" at all....more like "hard rock". (no disrespect to Sabbath....love my Sabbath).

Many Death Metal and Black Metal bands write their music in classical format, and then translate that to guitar, keyboard and drums. It is musically sound, and from personal experience I can tell you that it is challenging to play. The technical aspects alone are often quite astonishing.

That said, there are a lot of "metal" bands that are pure noise, and don't seem to get the whole "music" thing. But you'll have bands that suck in any genre.

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

I prefer more hard rock/alt metal. Screamo, death, goth, black metal... nah, no thanks. I can tolerate some screaming, but only if the instrumental parts are awesome. I prefer a mix of screaming and regular singing, bands like Atreyu.

Also like some progressive metal, like Dream Theater, but only because I'm a drummer.

• dar_es_balatdar_es_balat Member Posts: 438

Opeth>All

Wow.  Opeth?  Seriously?

Real Music -

Why don't you piss off? I don't think you understand where that guy is coming from. You mock him by asking if he likes LP yet those morons are NOTHING like a respectable band like Opeth.

I guess its all in your definition of respectable.  I think Opeth is just as respectable as Linkin Park and Limp Bizkit.  All these bands have mass appeal to tweens and 20 somethings who have an unhealthy vampire obsession, tweenage angst, and likely own the DVD for Twilight: New Moon.   May as well throw Static X into the mix while we're at it... and... who was that band that wrote Bodies Hit the Floor *googles*  Drowning Pool.  Yeah.  Great stuff.

Tweens.

Real musical interest extends beyond whatever the market crams down your throat.  Those who claim to like Metal might want to check out bands like The Sword, Stormcrow, Laudanum.... move outside of the MTV realm.

Yeah I know High On Fire's an MTV band.  I dunno how big they are.  I get drunk with Pike.  I had no idea he was on the cover of Rolling Stone until Oakland shipped me my free copy.

Crappy, petty people breed and raise crappy, petty kids.

• WilliacWilliac Member Posts: 212

IMO metal music(every category) isn't what once was. Sadly. The feeling is gone, the power is gone, and so is the joy. It seems as if every band makes a damn good debut album and then their company goes: "Right you guys. It was a fine album but it was only purchased by a certain group of people. We want you you to allow more people into this group. Why don't you mix your metal with some of these fine poptunes we have made for you, eh?"

sigh... Where did the music go?

Opeth>All

Wow.  Opeth?  Seriously?

Real Music -

I guess its all in your definition of respectable.  I think Opeth is just as respectable as Linkin Park and Limp Bizkit.  All these bands have mass appeal to tweens and 20 somethings who have an unhealthy vampire obsession, tweenage angst, and likely own the DVD for Twilight: New Moon.   May as well throw Static X into the mix while we're at it... and... who was that band that wrote Bodies Hit the Floor *googles*  Drowning Pool.  Yeah.  Great stuff.

Tweens.

I see you point, sir.  But seriously, Opeth is not a band to be put into that mix. It's not exactly something you would see in a Dragonball Z Music video... or something like that.

• PapadamPapadam Member Posts: 2,102

Opeth>All

Wow.  Opeth?  Seriously?

Real Music -

Tweens.

Eh what are you smooking? You even heard Opeth? You think 15 minute songs of progressive death metal with jazz/folk influences appeal to Twilight tweens? One of the most influencial and respected bands in metal and progressive music.

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd