Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

More screenies from new engine

burmeseburmese Member Posts: 546

Posted by Means on AO forums

http://forums.anarchy-online.com/showpost.php?p=5681951&postcount=314

Presentation Screenies

1. There was only one shot of the new engine (now with Sky!) in the presentation...the sky isn't perfect but now that it is there at all the artists can work with it to make it perfect.

2. A RK mission with upgraded Textures (to note the difference this will make without even using help from the new engine.)

3. A peek at the new Omni "daily mission" office coming in the next major update.

4. Me multi-tasking during the very short period of time I was at the company party.

I was hoping to add a few screens of the engine that were not in the presentation...however the H1N1 is currently victimizing one of my engine guys and I am not going to interrupt the other one who is working on something I want him to finish. Faster Faster!

Attached Images

forums.anarchy-online.com/attachment.php

(fyi, #3 is on the old/current engine)

~\_/~\_O

Comments

• vladakovvladakov Member Posts: 710

nice coat,   but to state the facts

the graphics of the game suck,  not bashing,  but the graphics just suck....

• burmeseburmese Member Posts: 546

Well, that's your opinion ( and -only- an opinion).  The comments regarding those pics so far in the AO forums, btw, are universally positive.

My opinion:

The graphics of the game are good, for their age.  The new engine material is a huge step forward.  I'm actually more interested in the fps/lag issues that will get fixed by having the video card do its' share of the work.  New servers last spring and the recompiled core (around the same time frame) already made a big improvement in fps issues.

~\_/~\_O

• vladakovvladakov Member Posts: 710

the graphics are good if you compare it to the old ones, and the new graphics are fantastic considering how old the game is, but nowadays, nearly the year 2010, the graphics are bad, its just a fact

• AlysenMinaseAlysenMinase Member Posts: 361
    Originally posted by vladakov

the graphics are good if you compare it to the old ones, and the new graphics are fantastic considering how old the game is, but nowadays, nearly the year 2010, the graphics are bad, its just a fact

Yes, the graphics are bad and outdated even with the update coming. But the game is way old, and the update isn't for the graphics, that is just an added on extra, the update is mainly for upgrading the engine and letting it run smoother.

Playing - EVE, Wurm

Retired - Final Fantasy XI, Anarchy Online, Mabinogi

Waiting - ArcheAge, Salem

Friday with Means - December 11th, 2009 - 16 second rough cut

Imagine what a marketing/video editing guy could do with this...

I am so happy with the progress being made.

The moving grass made my day...I hope it makes yours.

www.youtube.com/watch

This "Means" Cake

Game Director

Filmed in 70's "tall-vision"

FYI, Means clarified that pic #2 in the OP is new textures in the old engine.  They -could- pop them into the current game but are waiting for the engine as it will allow the video card to handle the higher res textures and increased polygon count.

~\_/~\_O

• BloodDualityBloodDuality Member UncommonPosts: 404

I just think it's a good thing that after all this time they actually still care about this game, and have not thrown it to the side in favor of just working on their newer games. This sort of thing makes me look forward to The Secret World launching, and knowing that they will probably support the game well for years to come, even if they are not perfect.

• misterdurpmisterdurp Member Posts: 157
    Originally posted by BloodDuality

I just think it's a good thing that after all this time they actually still care about this game, and have not thrown it to the side in favor of just working on their newer games. This sort of thing makes me look forward to The Secret World launching, and knowing that they will probably support the game well for years to come, even if they are not perfect.

as a former (well, they offered me free playtime so i have the game installed but im hardly playing it) AO player myself i have to partially agree, yes theres still more then enough content being pumped out by the small but very dedicated team that works on it. on the other hand however, AO is not mentioned in the latest funcom financial reports at all, only that 'the revenues from Anarchy Online are slowly declining'... no words on the new engine (in the reports), no pr campaign announced or anything. despite its age its a game with tons of potential (imho ;) ) much more so then AoC which is a nice game and all, but lacks the huge amount of content and depth of AO. 

• cukimungacukimunga Member UncommonPosts: 2,258

Yes the graphics are still going to be outdated because from what I understand they are still using the same textures but the engine has added new effects and other things to make the existing textures look better.

But still I think the game looks quite well for its age, I like them better than some other games I don't care to mention because I don't like to speak of its name. lol

• LaterisLateris Member UncommonPosts: 1,830

I seriously think an Anarchy 2 will come out of this.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Looks a lot better,but still using very low detail textures.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

I would love to see what vehicles look like in the new engine. 

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

Those pics look ok.

Honestly two games that I play on and off (Ryzom & DAoC) are both pretty dated and I still enjoy them.

I have no issue with AO if its going to be competitive graphically with games like DAOC.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938

So, excuse my ignorance, but when is the graphical update due to hit now? Seems it's taking far longer than originally expected.

• FuggoFuggo Member Posts: 121

For it's age this game look great! Even better then Fallen Earth!

[Earthrise ss in my profile][Coming out Q2 2010]

• kaitiakikaitiaki Member UncommonPosts: 21
    Originally posted by Lydon

So, excuse my ignorance, but when is the graphical update due to hit now? Seems it's taking far longer than originally expected.

I believe the current status of that is - when it's ready, lol. It was supposed to be out last year, and the year before, so I'm sure they're hoping for sometime this year, but considering FC is currently working on TSW, and therefore AO, being their oldest MMO, will probably take a backseat to the rest, I would be surprised to see the new engine go live this year. My guess is sometime next year *crosses fingers* Of course, any earlier would be awesome.

The OP contained images from December, and more recent screenshots from the new engine are currently available. The link below was posted in the most recent Friday with Means, and is a comparison of the old/current Atrox vs the new engine version. They've gotten pretty good about posting a screenshot from the new engine work, or of new content they're working on every couple of Fridays.

http://forums.anarchy-online.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3823&d=1269016147

• BlackWizardsBlackWizards Member Posts: 173

Honestly I will be shocked if they can ever get the new engine out. I loved this game, but I just cannot see it happening, sorry.

• TSWBETAROGSTSWBETAROGS Member Posts: 196

Anyone know of a release date for the new engine?? It looks stunnig to say the least.

From what I understand they have 15 people who work on the game and then the art for the game is being worked on at a office in China to keep cost down.  But it is taking time and no one really knows an ETA because this stuff does take a mucho amount of time. A few weeks ago they were working on the map sizes matching up. There is reference to 350 heads that need to be redone. That is a ton of artwork! I expect another year. But don't quote me please. What is funny is that someone out there will make a mod that that will change every art asset in the game just like one bloke did  for SWG with a DX10 graphical mod made mostly all on his own. I play AoC as well so I am looking forward to this change. Burmese is the house expert though. He would know.

The Friday with Means pretty well spell out the status.  Engine is done, they are now making the client that players will use.  11 ppl will be doing head updates in Bejing full time starting April 5th (I get the impression, from Means innuendo, that RoTG and TSW needs bumped them back from starting that a couple of months ago).  The only major item they haven't talked about yet is the new user experience that is getting reworked and will be in-game prior to the engine.

~\_/~\_O

• MaitraderMaitrader Member UncommonPosts: 389

I really dont think they should just "Stop" at the heads... I think they should "start" with the heads lol ;) It would be too much to ask to Dx10 the whole game over time...with China working on things and Funcoms need for serious revenue from ALL their games, they need to keep this one alive.... best way to do this is to retexturize more or less everything ingame and bring it to AoC quality graphics... If I was part of the Funcom board, this would be a major priority to me, as it would allow the game to generate revenue for most of this decade.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

They look only mildly better,i guess i may have to be in game to get a better view of the graphics.All i know is way back in 99,UT delivered on release both a low end texture pack and a high definition one,the difference was incredible,really noticeable,i don't get that same feeling looking at those screenshots.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Maybe a modder would volunteer thier time to do a complete graphical mod update once the new engine is released for the game on the client side. Or at least for avatars. Once the new engine hits live the client side can be modded. There is a SWG mod that makes the client side DX 10.