Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

10 signs of some good things to come

AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630

I interrupt my usual bemoaning of the fate of the mmo universe to examine the half full side of the glass. :) Here are 10 signs that there are still good days ahead.

10. Science fiction fans. No longer are you left to pretend that elves are vulcans in snappy clothing. Some new Sci-Fi mmos are out and more are on the way, including a really big one with Star Wars.

9. Comic book fans: You're not just relegated to City of Heroes anymore. Some new mmos are in the works for this genre as well, that have the actual IP to enjoy. Shazam!

8. Spy games: This almost wholly overlooked genre has at least one new game coming out, and probably more I don't know about.

7. PvPers. For a while there it looked like you were being banished to game platforms like Counterstrike, with little to nothing mmo-wise. But with Darkfall and others PvP is back, and with the ffa ganking and looting you've been asking for for years.

6. Puzzles and mysteries: The Secret World is bringing this back, along with a lot of other interesting innovations. Plus Myst Online is back.

5. Graphic improvements: World of Darkness may finally deliver on clothing and hair that looks real. TERA is raising the bar on how stunningly attractive a world can be. Big things are coming on this front.

4. Exploration: A number of games are starting to deliver on a large game world worth exploring. Without "Loading please wait."

3. Choices. No longer do we have to select between 3-4 games. They're popping up everywhere. And more companies are making them. Even if you don't like most of them, it increases the chances you will find something.

2. Flight. Not the sims. But players being able to fly is becoming more commonplace. What's not to like about mounted dragons and wings?

1. Old School depth and challenge. ... um, *looks down and drags toe in the dirt* Gimmie a sec. K, I've got nothing at the moment, but Eve is making World of Darkness and CCP isn't bashful about making a game tough and intricate. So there's that. And with all these companies looking for niche markets, they can't ignore us forever.

So that's my best effort at optimism. Any other silver linings out there that you see?

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

Comments

• LotosSlayerLotosSlayer Member Posts: 247

I just hope grouping in MMos makes a comeback. FFXIV and TERA(since it's made by the same people that made Lineage 2) look like the only hope atm, but now all companies care about is money so there's a good chance they'll go the WoW clone route like most other companies.

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372

Even walking down a tunnel along train tracks as a light comes straight at you, there is hope.  There is always hope!

I do like your list :)

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

I would add one more making it 11. One of which is an increasing amount of small developers releasing more games.  Lately the smaller developers have really stood out from the large developers in terms of gameplay. Icarus, CCP, Aventurine  have all put together solid games with a decent following and exceptional non-WOW style gameplay.  Though they (and some current games to be released) may lack polish to an extent, or may fail altogether, I feel we'll find some of the best gems in the genre coming from small developers.

• SinviperSinviper Member Posts: 169

Thanks for taking the time to write that, OP. Too much threads dealing with the nagative side of things.

Originally posted by --Name edited out--

EX-PRO PLAYER IN WOW HERE.THIS GAME IS GOOD! TRUST ME IM USED TO BE THE BEST IN WOW BUT JUST A N00B IN AION. ITS CHALLENGEING , TRY IT!

[Sigh, watch out guys, this dude's pro.]

• TeimanTeiman Member Posts: 1,319

I am impressed how people can adquire the license for something, and make yet another WoW clone.   The future next 8 big MMO's will be WoW clones.    

Is like the 13th god's curse to egiptians, or something