Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Windows 7

PraorPraor Member Posts: 519

Is there a way if I can see if my pc is upgradeable to Win 7 64-bit ?  Thanks  =)

also since I'm here, on harddrives. I'm looking to upgrade, should I get a 10,000 Velociraptor,prices are nice on these or just go for a SSD ?

Waiting on Guild Wars 2

Comments

• njacksondnjacksond Member Posts: 29

Originally posted by Praor

Is there a way if I can see if my pc is upgradeable to Win 7 64-bit ?  Thanks  =)

also since I'm here, on harddrives. I'm looking to upgrade, should I get a 10,000 Velociraptor,prices are nice on these or just go for a SSD ?

Hey Praor,

Yes there is a windows upgrade advisor located here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/get/upgrade-advisor.aspx

Also, as far as the HD is concerned. I currently have one of these and I must say that it definately helped with the speed and heat generated inside my case. Right now it runs at about 30 degrees which is significantly lower than my other 2 WD HDs that run on avg at abou 42-45 degrees. I've never owned a SSD HD so i guess I would be a little biased about them but I would say go with the 10,000 RPM since you would pay an arm and a leg for a SSD with at least 300GB

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

Originally posted by Praor

what do you intend the new hd to do speed up your computer ?

be warned !it will speed up your computer by a lot on average but at a cost the ss get worn a lot quicker then a regular hd

so if you dont plan to change twice as often as before if your a gamer then i suggest you stick to hd

also you can buy 2 hd for the price of one ssd on average(true ssd price are dropping but their capacity means they arent meant for storage yet! more for you os ,speed-up paging file,and put the game of day your playing today

for the rest you still need a regular hard drive (say a 1 terabyte !grin)

• krowxxviikrowxxvii Member Posts: 177

SSD is about Quality, not Quantity. A 60 GB SSD is going to run you around $180 USD, Yea, not cheap.

I bought a 60 GB SSD which I only put Windows and system critical files on. The rest I store on a 500 GB HDD.

Works beautifully. but it all depends on what you want.

If you do go with the larger HDD, make sure to create ~100 GB partition for Windows and  some program files.

You can't use the tools if you don't know they exist...
    http://www.ic3.gov - Internet Crime Complaint Center - Report cyber crimes to the FBI.

http://www.spamcop.net - SpamCop.net - Report spam and scam emails.

http://www.networksolutions.com/whois/ - Network Solutions WHOIS - Investigate and reveal suspcious websites.

• dfandfan Member Posts: 362

10krpm drives are pure waste of money. Ssd gives huge boost to performance even with older computer. Just make sure you choose a decent ssd, there are lots of different disks on market and most are not so good.

• PraorPraor Member Posts: 519

Thanks for the replies everyone. Looks like I'm good to go for Win 7 64 bit, the test said that I cant just upgrade but I would have to do a clean install, which is fine with me. Yea for the Hdd, its just for speed increase, I never really have to much installed, usually a few games and some music, so space is not really an issue, just speed and temperature.

I found this drive, looks pretty good for my needs

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136296&cm_re=velociraptor_hard_drive-_-22-136-296-_-Product

Waiting on Guild Wars 2

i agree!

Originally posted by krowxxvii

SSD is about Quality, not Quantity. A 60 GB SSD is going to run you around $180 USD, Yea, not cheap.

I bought a 60 GB SSD which I only put Windows and system critical files on. The rest I store on a 500 GB HDD.

If you do go with the larger HDD, make sure to create ~100 GB partition for Windows and  some program files.

why 3 partition?

100 mb(reserved from window to window

the rest of the hardrive for os and the rest

you you say it should be

100 mb (window)

100 gb os and paging files etc

the rest of the hard drive for anything else?

how is this achieved if i may ask

and why add this 100gb partition?

http://www.intel.com/design/flash/nand/productinformation.htm

use this as a guide!dont buy 10000 rpm drive for speed they re almost same price a ssd and not much faster then regular 7200 rpm hd!

Originally posted by drbaltazar

why 3 partition?

you you say it should be

100 mb (window)

He probably meant own partition for windows+programs in case of possible OS reinstall.

Ok Ok , don't yell at me  lol

Waiting on Guild Wars 2

Originally posted by dfan

Originally posted by drbaltazar

why 3 partition?

you you say it should be

100 mb (window)

He probably meant own partition for windows+programs in case of possible OS reinstall.

oh!ok!i just did a clean instal everything whent smooth just make sure your bios is set at otimimum setting

stuff like acpi etc!bios often are wrongly set and if they arent tweaked for best performance w7 will assume newer techno wasnt avail on your  bios

often bios book info are avail online!

After looking around, I don't think a SSD would be right for me now , the cost for the size you get just doesn't seem good right now. I need at least 120 gigs but really no more then 150 and I like to use one partition, so I dunno maybe a velociraptor is probably best to hold me for the next 2 - 3 years. I'm rather excited with upgradeing to Win 7 64 bit and put more memory then the 3 gigs I have in there now,hopefully the difference is night and day.

Waiting on Guild Wars 2

Ssd is only for OS and mmo's. Putting anything else on it is waste.

Velociraptor is pure waste of money, normal hdd is very close to it in performance.

Lol, I never seen these before , must be a beast   Seagate Cheetah 15K.7 ST3300657SS 300GB 15000 RPM SAS 6Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Retail

Waiting on Guild Wars 2

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_attached_SCSI

GL with it. 

Magnetic disks have their limits, and will never be as fast as ssd's already are.

• dirtyjoe78dirtyjoe78 Member Posts: 400

Thats  SAS drive Serial attached SCSI used in servers and enterprise raid applications mostly...My servers have SAS drives in them  you could get a SAS card for a PCIe slot but its going to cost you an arm and a leg for the card then your left testicle for the drive.