Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help! I need a new Elderscrolls/Fallout 3 type rpg.

2»

Comments

• jonrd463jonrd463 Member UncommonPosts: 607

Have you tried Arx Fatalis? First Person RPG set in a massive dungeon, which is basically the entire civilization of the world due to the surface becoming inhospitable. It's got an interesting magic system, where you "draw" runes with your mouse to cast spells. Some love it, some hate it. I believe GOG has it as well.

"You'll never win an argument with an idiot because he is too stupid to recognize his own defeat." ~Anonymous

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

Originally posted by jonrd463

Have you tried Arx Fatalis? First Person RPG set in a massive dungeon, which is basically the entire civilization of the world due to the surface becoming inhospitable. It's got an interesting magic system, where you "draw" runes with your mouse to cast spells. Some love it, some hate it. I believe GOG has it as well.

I stayed away due to bad reviews.

Ill pick it up and give it a go.

Does it also have a Console version?

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

Originally posted by Rockgod99

It was out for XBox, I believe. Not sure about the PS2. I've given up on "professional" reviews, due to some games being declared the second coming of Christ, but turning out to be complete shit. Arx is generally regarded as a decent game by the players, and I would agree. Certainly not the best out there, but well worth it if you're looking for something to keep you occupied.

EDIT: I just looked and there are quite a few videos on YouTube if you want to see it in action.

"You'll never win an argument with an idiot because he is too stupid to recognize his own defeat." ~Anonymous

It was out for XBox, I believe. Not sure about the PS2. I've given up on "professional" reviews, due to some games being declared the second coming of Christ, but turning out to be complete shit. Arx is generally regarded as a decent game by the players, and I would agree. Certainly not the best out there, but well worth it if you're looking for something to keep you occupied.

Yeah back then i took them as law when it came to buying games.

In the last couple years i've strayed from reviews a bit games like Risen and Two worlds that got 50% ratings at best have been extremely enjoyable.

Its come to the point where I think reviewers are just out of touch. When they start giving a game a bad rating because it has a learning curve or it borrows too many features from other games I know I need to stop reading them.

• DarkjinxterDarkjinxter Member Posts: 174

Buy yourself a PS3 and Demon's Souls. You'll never play anything quite like it.

Yeah back then i took them as law when it came to buying games.

In the last couple years i've strayed from reviews a bit games like Risen and Two worlds that got 50% ratings at best have been extremely enjoyable.

Its come to the point where I think reviewers are just out of touch. When they start giving a game a bad rating because it has a learning curve or it borrows too many features from other games I know I need to stop reading them.

Oh, it's quite simple, really. "Give us a good review, and we'll buy a ton of advertising on your site/ in your magazine.."  Win/Win. Game gets great review AND a ton of exposure in advertising, and the site or magazine gets the cash. Now, as a capitalist myself, I'm not opposed to someone making a buck, but not under false pretenses.  

• NamicoNamico Member Posts: 40

Maby try some of these!

- Borderlands

- Assassins creed 2

- STALKER

- Dark Messiah

- Drakensang

- Demon's Souls

- Mount and blade

- Thief 3

Do you only like rpgs or do you like hack and slash aswell (ala.. devil may cry) because theres lots of good titles with good storylines out there!

• ObliviousXObliviousX Member Posts: 112

I would suggest the stalker series. There are 3 games:

Stalkers: Shadows of Chernobyl

Stalkers: Clear Sky

Stalkers: Call of Prypiat

Clear sky got some mixed reviews but the other two are great. I'm currently playing Call of Prypiat and it's pretty awesome.

It's not so big on the rpg side, you don't actually level up, you buy new guns and armor, modify your gear, you can  buy and sell loot, and there are tons of quests. Most importantly it's an open world game, you can explore, find random stuff. My favorite thing about these games is that the world doesn't revolve around you, you can catch stalker groups fighting each other, or being attacked by mutants, ect.

I have Borderlands coming in the post.

I played Stalker (first two), I may try the third.