Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Finally tried Darkfall and I like it! Impressions and a bunch of questions

BlackWizardsBlackWizards Member Posts: 173

So after putting it off for way to long I've finally got around to trying DF, the $1 trial certainly helped entice me and I have to say so far this game is totally awesome. My only real complaint is that the graphics look like an 2002 pc game, but I that's just  me being a graphics whore they work just fine for this game. Combat reminds me of mount and blade, which is awesome, looting and inventory are brilliant and the UI took very little getting used to which is also awesome.

I got a couple of buddies to join me and we did some quests, got a bunch of lowly loot, harvested some rock, iron, and logs, and even ditched our noobie pvp protection and did some exploring and we ganked some guy with a bunch of loot with in 3 hours of starting the game. Fun times.

I have some questions for you vets if you would be so kind as to answer that would be very cool:

1. I've played on both my laptop and desktop, and only my desktop (phenomII quad core @3.6ghz, 4gigs ram, and ati 5770) I get 10 fps with shadows enabled. Turning shadows off nets me over 200 fps, what gives, is this an ATI issues (laptop has nvidia card and game runs fine maxed) or a driver issue or just weird issue for me? 190 fps seems like way too much for just shadows and my desktop can run games like BC2 and Crysis in highest settings fairly well.

2. Is Archery a valid combat skill? The one PVP fight I've been in the guy ran around sprinting and my brother the archer was having trouble hitting him because of how fast and irregularly he was moving. How does archery work, is it total projectile system or is there some hit box calculations that make it more possible to hit moving targets who run around like epeleptics? Should archers also use melee weapons? What's the trick to being a solid ranged class for both casting and arching. 

3. Do most pvp matches see players running around sprinting the whole time? If so, what is a good counter to that? I tried just moving backwards so they would have to approach me? Keep in mind this is based off one fight against another noob. Seems like it would be a bad strategy because of the stam drain but who knows, either way I found that sprinting character are harder to hit even when it looks like you are connecting with them.

4. How best do you avoid friendly fire, because it's always turned on right? I am playing a 2h mace wielder, my brother an archer, and our friend was trying to be a caster. With me fighting the target and those two shooting there was a great deal of FF on me, which I am curious how we may best avoid? I was thinking all attack from different angles but that didn't seem to be a perfect solution?

5. How much more powerful is the older character than a new one. If the 3 of us go exploring and come on a solo older character by himself would we have any chance of killing him or would they just 2 shot all three of us game over?

6. I believe all non-starter magic requires reagents, is this true? Does this make it much more difficult to start off as a caster?

7. How much do mounts cost and where can you get one?

Sorry for the near wall of text post I tried to keep it minimal but that was as good as I could get it.

Comments

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

1. no idea 

2. Archery should be skilled up to 50 just to have it if you run out of reagents or staff brakes or what not. in the beginning archery will out dps magic but in the end magic is the top peformer once levelled. straight trajectory, casting speed, crazy damage, missile travel speed, AoE damage just make magic the ranged weappon of choice at high levels.

3. no idea

4. This is where magic shows it's downside vs archery. since most magic has AoE it's really tricky to use when there are friendlies close to your target. in such a case archery is better as long as you have good aim.

5. there is really no way to tell. there is no cap on stats in this game and you can't see your enemy's HP so it's always a gamble. if you are decently geared and have a few higher skills ( at least 50+ in mele/magic/archery) in a 3 vs 1 situation you would definately have a chance against a large majority of players but there are some vets with crap load of HP that might still come out on top. haveing one of your friends (with good aim) on healing duty would be ideal.  surprise and numbers are always advantageous.

6. Yes, only 2 low level spells dont require ragents (mana missile and self heal). you can either buy reagenst, farm them (all the gathering skills),or kill mobs that drop them. it's a bit slower then archery yes, but the best way to level it fast is with self buffing skills since you'll never waste a reagent by missing your target.

7. 700g and you can get one right away. you need to buy a wistle from np vendor (200g), riding skill (cant remeber what it's called :P) from npc vendor (500g), and 1 steedgrass wich is a random drop from herbing. any bush will do.

you can also steal any horse wile the other player is dismounting/dismounted and is trying to dispawn it.

• dembardembar Member Posts: 118
    Originally posted by BlackWizards

So after putting it off for way to long I've finally got around to trying DF, the $1 trial certainly helped entice me and I have to say so far this game is totally awesome. My only real complaint is that the graphics look like an 2002 pc game, but I that's just  me being a graphics whore they work just fine for this game. Combat reminds me of mount and blade, which is awesome, looting and inventory are brilliant and the UI took very little getting used to which is also awesome.

I got a couple of buddies to join me and we did some quests, got a bunch of lowly loot, harvested some rock, iron, and logs, and even ditched our noobie pvp protection and did some exploring and we ganked some guy with a bunch of loot with in 3 hours of starting the game. Fun times.

I have some questions for you vets if you would be so kind as to answer that would be very cool:

1. I've played on both my laptop and desktop, and only my desktop (phenomII quad core @3.6ghz, 4gigs ram, and ati 5770) I get 10 fps with shadows enabled. Turning shadows off nets me over 200 fps, what gives, is this an ATI issues (laptop has nvidia card and game runs fine maxed) or a driver issue or just weird issue for me? 190 fps seems like way too much for just shadows and my desktop can run games like BC2 and Crysis in highest settings fairly well.
    There seems to be a ati problem indeed. and although the games looks a lot better with shadows i would always keep shadows of.
    2. Is Archery a valid combat skill? The one PVP fight I've been in the guy ran around sprinting and my brother the archer was having trouble hitting him because of how fast and irregularly he was moving. How does archery work, is it total projectile system or is there some hit box calculations that make it more possible to hit moving targets who run around like epeleptics? Should archers also use melee weapons? What's the trick to being a solid ranged class for both casting and arching. 

yes archery is a valid range attack. and yes you will need some melee. its easier to hit people that are zig zagging like crazy you can do it with archery. lots of people tend to jump between there zig zagging thats for sure a time to release that arrow.

3. Do most pvp matches see players running around sprinting the whole time? If so, what is a good counter to that? I tried just moving backwards so they would have to approach me? Keep in mind this is based off one fight against another noob. Seems like it would be a bad strategy because of the stam drain but who knows, either way I found that sprinting character are harder to hit even when it looks like you are connecting with them.

sprinting and running is used in all pvp fights. how to counter that depends a bit on your playstyle

4. How best do you avoid friendly fire, because it's always turned on right? I am playing a 2h mace wielder, my brother an archer, and our friend was trying to be a caster. With me fighting the target and those two shooting there was a great deal of FF on me, which I am curious how we may best avoid? I was thinking all attack from different angles but that didn't seem to be a perfect solution?
    for melee its the directional swing instead of the standard horizontal attack. for mages its using a non aoe attack or let the spell land behind the mob. for archers its just hitting the target.

5. How much more powerful is the older character than a new one. If the 3 of us go exploring and come on a solo older character by himself would we have any chance of killing him or would they just 2 shot all three of us game over?
    with how old you are now its game over, play for a month or 2 and you will be able to take him. if you use gear and decent weapons. and know how to fight.

6. I believe all non-starter magic requires reagents, is this true? Does this make it much more difficult to start off as a caster?

you do start with mana and most starter spells only cost one reagent later on you will get more expensive spells.

best way to train magery is killing mobs that drop the reagent you need to cast spells. for example trolls can be very good to lvl part of the fire school

mounts cost aroud 700 g currently. if you wanna be able to make your own mounts, you will need the taming skill and steedgrass wich you can get from herbing bushes and some monsters in the game.
     Sorry for the near wall of text post I tried to keep it minimal but that was as good as I could get it.

hope it was some help

• cosycosy Member UncommonPosts: 3,228

1. in order to run DF very well whit shadows etc the problem is simple shadows is calculated by the CPU in darkfall so i suggest you a CPU whit turboboost and hyper-threading (a intel i5 750 will do the job and is only 250$)

BestSigEver :P

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333

Darkfall runs better with Nvidia for some reason.
    Arrows fly with an arc and cause of real time combat you need to lead your shots and predict where the target the next second will be. You need every weapon type, melee for close combat, archery for ranged and magic for heals.
    Try jump parry and jump shot. You jump in the opposite direction of your enemy turn mid air to block hits / or shot turn again and continue to run in the direction you was initial running that way you kite opponent.
    For mellee weapons is the vertical slash activated with 'T', for archery aim well and for magic is the use of bolt spells and not the use of AoE spells.
    Depend on the twitch skill you 3 can kill him or at least all come away, if you lack that you  probably die all.
    Magic has a more difficult start, the first serious nuke that does some considerable amount of damage (on simple levels)  comes with elemental school level 1  and that has to be updated on speed and aimed well to land, the first nuke that makes fun to use comes with elemental level 50.
     I am not sure something around 250 - 350 g probably. Just have someone of your group learn the skill tame buy a whistle and you all collect steedgrass who he then turns into mounts.

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• BlackWizardsBlackWizards Member Posts: 173

Alright, starting to get a feel for this game. Is there any way to hot swap between ranged weapons and melee ones? Or do I have to pull up my backpack and double click my weapons when I go from bow to mace?

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333

Pull the weapons on the hotbar slot and then bind a hotkey to each, you are free to bind any key you like in options.  

(be smarter then bad professional reviewers and do it that way instead of  pulling an Ed Zitron and think yoou need 10 minutes to change weapon lol)

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

Originally posted by DarthRaiden

Pull the weapons on the hotbar slot and then bind a hotkey to each, you are free to bind any key you like in options.  
    (be smarter then bad professional reviewers and do it that way instead of  pulling an Ed Zitron and think yoou need 10 minutes to change weapon lol)

Ahh that was exactly what I was looking for awesome.

• BuniontToesBuniontToes Member Posts: 529

Alright, starting to get a feel for this game. Is there any way to hot swap between ranged weapons and melee ones? Or do I have to pull up my backpack and double click my weapons when I go from bow to mace?

Under  input bindings -> GUI you will see  Hot_bar_Col x_row_y settings.  these allow you to direct bind any slot on any bar directly to a key.  I have all of my weapons directly bound.

Archery is required.  I would say even Sharpshooter is required.  However it is not currently a viable mainstay in PvP.  Hopefully this will change in future patches.

There are definitely counters to sprinting.  Spar, and spar often and you will figure these out.  The soltuion is directly related to your direct binds.

• BuniontToesBuniontToes Member Posts: 529

Oh yeah the shadows isue is definitely an ATI thing.  NVidia doesn't have close to this problem.  We still disable shadows but it doesn't kill my FPS completely.

Man this game is FUN! I've yet to be PK'd but I've PK'd 2x. How many kills against my own race will cause me to go outlaw? I'd prefer not to go outlaw I just haven't found any one outside my race to kill.

I love the sense of danger, I've gone exploring alone a few times and seen older character and I just crouch and hide from them. One guy tried to get me outside the noobie area, he was in very shinny plate type armor with an awesome looking sword, but I got away from him. Still waiting to get me cherry popped in termed of getting ganked. Maybe the AFK mining will bring it on lol.

I started learning armorcrafting and weaponcrafting and I can make some decent, for me, chainmail armor which I put about 5 full pairs in the bank, and some decent pole arms which I also banked up about 5 extras.

• GaurnGaurn Member Posts: 305

Well, if you're human, from personal experience it seemed pk's love Heart of Eanna. The two close goblin camps there, and the iron ore nodes just outside of the entrance are places that I got ganked quite a bit at. So if you're near that area, you could try grinding on the goblins there and just wait for someone to come and lay you flat.

Interesting, does any one have a map with all the different noob areas marker?  I want to go exploring and maybe PK some guys at my experience level. A map with those spots marked would be awesome.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

ON GRAPHICS

1. if you are a graphics whore like me be sure to have a machine that can have many of the settings on high (most importantly shadows) and still maintain a fps aroun 20 before saying the game has old graphics. Now, granted you cant really be good at the game with shadows on I am just making sure people dont say the game has low graphics while trying to run it on a standard or low standand machine. Given that you are a graphics whore I would assume you have a good setup.

2. In the current MMO market there are actually very few games that have better graphics which is ironic. Now, some measure of what you like does apply. Example, Fallen Earth has technically better graphics but I perfer the DF graphics.

anyway, just throwing that out there

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• bongloadsbongloads Member UncommonPosts: 381

190 is way too much to just be an ATI < NVidia problem.  Try different drivers.