Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why isnt Diablo III listed on this site?

GeschaeferGeschaefer Member Posts: 117

Any ideas..

Considering that STO isnt a real MMO and IS listed here.. why isnt Diabo III ?

I love the diablo games.

G.E.Schaefer
Played: EQ1. EQ2. FFXI. SWG. Aion. WAR. LOTRO. TabulaRasa. Hellgate London. Diablo 1. Diablo II. Diablo 3. STO. WOW. Vanguard. Guild Wars. Rift. Terra. The Secret World. EVE. Guild Wars 2. Firefall. Neverwinter.

Comments

• dhayes68dhayes68 Member UncommonPosts: 1,388

As near as I can tell, this site goes by whatever the publisher calls it. Pub calls it an MMO? It's an MMO no questions asked. Pub don't call it an MMO? It ain't an MMO.

• alucard3000alucard3000 Member Posts: 414

why isnt reality fantasy?

DUNPEAL you know what i mean

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

the thing is lot of game maker name their game mmo to be included in site like this other wise they wouldnt be here

since we all know lot of (aka mmo)arent mmo in the list here but get by because the game maker call it a mmo it ends up in the list

other that dont call them self a mmo but are more mmo then a lot of the game listed here end up on the list 2 (guild wars)

so in the end if you have a chess game but name it mmo it will be listed here(yep its that silly)

• KilorTheMeekKilorTheMeek Member Posts: 260

Because Diablo III isn't an MMO.  It is an RPG, but the primary design of the game is single player.  Yes, we'll likely have online play via battle.net like on Diablo 2, but each game is an instanced world with a very finite number of players per game.

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, then beat you with experience.
  • PlasmicredxPlasmicredx Member Posts: 629

To my knowledge if any game has even one form of content in which a massive amount of players can interact in a zone, then it's considered an MMO. Even if it's just walking over and trading an item.

Diablo III probably features game lobbies via battle.net and there you start a server for people to connect publicly or privately from 2-10ish players.

I think people should attach the letter 'G' to "MMO." That way people would see the difference between if it's a game, or a server lobby / chat room.

Originally posted by Plasmicredx

To my knowledge if any game has even one form of content in which a massive amount of players can interact in a zone, then it's considered an MMO. Even if it's just walking over and trading an item.

Diablo III probably features game lobbies via battle.net and there you start a server for people to connect publicly or privately from 2-10ish players.

I can get on Fallout 3, connect to Windows Live, and put together a co-op party and play with them together in an instanced game.  Does that make FO3 a MMO?  Nope. 

To be a MMO, the game must have multi-player support on a massive scale in-game.  Having an out-of-game chatroom does not count.  Diablo 3, like its predecessors, is designed as a single-player game with online co-op and PvP capabilities, but these online features are not to a massive scale. 

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

does any one know his avatar? I ask as a question

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Originally posted by KilorTheMeek

Because Diablo III isn't an MMO.  It is an RPG, but the primary design of the game is single player.  Yes, we'll likely have online play via battle.net like on Diablo 2, but each game is an instanced world with a very finite number of players per game.

I would agree with this.

I find it interesting that Diablo II (III) comes up a lot in respects to it being a multi-player game. I always knew it had multi-player but in my mind it was always a single player game. I did sign up once to try the multi-player part but it felt very awkward (to my tastes) to find a game and get into it. I suppose for my limited time with it it felt like i was joining a very specific game with specfic players.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ShijeerShijeer Member Posts: 131

Its painfully simple really, 6 player multiplayer does not an MMO make. Characters persistent you say ? In the same way as ones MW2 profile.

- Shijeer

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

You can always discuss D3 in the general gaming sections but I really don't think it needs to have its own little space here.

I can get on Fallout 3, connect to Windows Live, and put together a co-op party and play with them together in an instanced game.  Does that make FO3 a MMO?  Nope. 

To be a MMO, the game must have multi-player support on a massive scale in-game.  Having an out-of-game chatroom does not count.  Diablo 3, like its predecessors, is designed as a single-player game with online co-op and PvP capabilities, but these online features are not to a massive scale. 

Lots of games have that but send players out into quality, no lag, instanced games like Global Agenda and Guild Wars just because they have MMO cities. Which I think is fair though.

Originally posted by Sovrath

I would agree with this.

I find it interesting that Diablo II (III) comes up a lot in respects to it being a multi-player game. I always knew it had multi-player but in my mind it was always a single player game. I did sign up once to try the multi-player part but it felt very awkward (to my tastes) to find a game and get into it. I suppose for my limited time with it it felt like i was joining a very specific game with specfic players.

yep i agre diablo is a multiplayer online game like all blizzard upcoming title

unless just to prove me wrong they dicide to bring back world raid dragon but in an instance of say 1000 player total

that would be just my luck lol,but i doubt it so i can safely say all blizzard title are mo

it isnt a bad thing ,but if a player go in for a mmo and the games are just mo i bet those player wont be happy and rightly so!

Originally posted by Shijeer

Its painfully simple really, 6 player multiplayer does not an MMO make. Characters persistent you say ? In the same way as ones MW2 profile.

- Shijeer

or champions of norath

Lots of games have that but send players out into quality, no lag, instanced games like Global Agenda and Guild Wars just because they have MMO cities. Which I think is fair though.

you can leave guild wars out since arenanet did say gw was a CORPG from day one

they never said it was a mmo or a mo for arenanet it is a corpg!

• HarabeckHarabeck Member Posts: 616

I can get on Fallout 3, connect to Windows Live, and put together a co-op party and play with them together in an instanced game.

Not you can't, what are you smoking?

Originally posted by Harabeck

I can get on Fallout 3, connect to Windows Live, and put together a co-op party and play with them together in an instanced game.

No, you really can. There might be a word for it. You all play the same single player game at the same time and chat! :D

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564
    Originally posted by Geschaefer

Any ideas..
    I love the diablo games.

MMORPGs are, by design, intended to be played with thousands of others on a single server.

Diablo III, like Diablo and Diablo II, is a dungeon crawler designed as single-player first, but with multi-player capabilities.

They're not the same thing.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

hehe anything these days is an mmo til a better term is coined

Yes you can. The co-op only aspect actually bums me out. When I first read FO3 was going to be playable on Windows Live I was hoping for some PvP action a la Counterstrike, but then I found out its co-op only... so sad...

• AseenusAseenus Member UncommonPosts: 1,844

Because DIablo III is a RPG with online aspects not a MMO-RPG.  There is a difference.

• Darkor_hXcDarkor_hXc Member UncommonPosts: 209

And Diablo III will never be released. xD

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

The sceptic in me wants to say that it could just be that they haven't payed to advertise it here

Originally posted by Darkor_hXc

And Diablo III will never be released. xD

lol i wish !but no mather if its a solo or just a simple multiplayer game ,the sad truth is

an insane amount of player i know will go play diablo 3 when its released!

• GrandVizierGrandVizier Member UncommonPosts: 72
    Originally posted by Geschaefer 

By the definition of what is allowed to be posted STO meets the requirements.  In the FAQ (available on the bottom of every forum page, there is a section about getting games added.  I'll paste it below for convenience.

www.mmorpg.com/faq.cfm/showFaq/4/I-think-there-is-a-game-that-needs-to-be-added-to-your-list-How-do-I-submit-this.html

It lists the requirements that must be met, what information is needed, and who to submit it to.

"Asking permission is easier than asking forgiveness."

"Without power, one dies."

-State Pestage, Grand Vizier

This discussion has been closed.