Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who misses Tabula Rasa?

BlazeyerBlazeyer Member UncommonPosts: 562

I have to admit I never really got fully immersed into this game as I would have liked, but now that I'm currently on the MMO open market and looking for a game to play it's just hit me of how much I really enjoyed this game. I loved just creating a bunch of robotic mines that would chase after enemies. 

Comments

• feena750feena750 Member UncommonPosts: 330

I liked Tabula Rasa.  It played well, had a nice world, and some fun classes.  I think the main area where it fell was the fact that players had no affect on the war so there was never any sense of accomplishment.

• BlazeyerBlazeyer Member UncommonPosts: 562
    Originally posted by feena750

I liked Tabula Rasa.  It played well, had a nice world, and some fun classes.  I think the main area where it fell was the fact that players had no affect on the war so there was never any sense of accomplishment.

Yeah I guess. They ended up releasing another playable race iirc. I know it wasn't perfect, but jeez it was a lot better than some of the crap that's out now. I really wish NCsoft stuck with this project. 

• BertiauxBertiaux Member Posts: 122

I know a lot of people didn't like TR, but I just loved playing that game. Some of my best online gameplay moments were in TR.

Now that it's gone, I am one sad bear....

• ArchidArchid Member UncommonPosts: 210

Aye! o/ I liked it alot back then.. Now Global Agenda has something similiar to Tabula Rasa and its good too.

the best way to kill a troll is to FLAME ON! ...or with acid...

I bought the game the day it came out, I was a sapper. I have no idea what a sapper is anymore, the only reason I know is because it was in my MMORPG forum profile lol. I just remember making mines and having cool guns. Ughhh the memories. I remember being able to paint your own armor was pretty fun back in the day. The Auction house on the game wasn't the best, but it wasn't broken. :( 

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

I miss this game dearly, I probably had more fun playing it than any other MMO I've tried. Taking/defending bases was so much fun. I'd literally spend hours just moving around to the different level-appropriate ones and helping out my fellow players. It was technically grinding, but it sure as hell didn't feel like it.

There was one base, can't remember which zone, but it had a high watchtower overlooking the gate. I'd stay up there once the gate was breached and take potshots at the incoming swarm with my rocket launcher. If any of them actually tried to come up the tower, I'd just turn around and toast them with my propellant gun... ahh, good times.

That game deserved more time, it was just coming around when NCSoft pulled the plug.

Oh, and polarity guns were a lot of fun too =D

• Padre-AdamoPadre-Adamo Member Posts: 61

That game was alot of fun. I had so much fun leveling. The combat was action packed and always kept me moving around the dozens of mobs chasing me. It is a damn shame that there was no focus for end game and eventually it came too late. I think it deserved a F2P model before shutting down. I will, however, never EVER support NCSoft again. They canceled Auto Assault and Tabula Rasa, two games that I really enjoyed. They are a lifetime boycott on my list. 

Originally posted by Rednecksith

I miss this game dearly, I probably had more fun playing it than any other MMO I've tried. Taking/defending bases was so much fun. I'd literally spend hours just moving around to the different level-appropriate ones and helping out my fellow players. It was technically grinding, but it sure as hell didn't feel like it.
    There was one base, can't remember which zone, but it had a high watchtower overlooking the gate. I'd stay up there once the gate was breached and take potshots at the incoming swarm with my rocket launcher. If any of them actually tried to come up the tower, I'd just turn around and toast them with my propellant gun... ahh, good times.
    That game deserved more time, it was just coming around when NCSoft pulled the plug.
    Oh, and polarity guns were a lot of fun too =D

I wish they would've just left it ughh. I really did like this game a lot. It had a lot of potential. They could've expanded to other planets etc. I can't remember if there was pvp or not? ehh. I remember shotguns too. My favorite MMO shooter ever.

• BertiauxBertiaux Member Posts: 122
    Originally posted by Padre-Adamo

That game was alot of fun. I had so much fun leveling. The combat was action packed and always kept me moving around the dozens of mobs chasing me. It is a damn shame that there was no focus for end game and eventually it came too late. I think it deserved a F2P model before shutting down. I will, however, never EVER support NCSoft again. They canceled Auto Assault and Tabula Rasa, two games that I really enjoyed. They are a lifetime boycott on my list. 

I agree. NCSoft seems to be very good at walking around with their head firmly inserted up their...well, you know where...

• ShijeerShijeer Member Posts: 131

Was entertaining but ultimately got repetitive and lacked real focus, the never-ending war motif sounded good on paper but didn't quite work out that well. Once players understood that their efforts were futile and meaningless it got stale and quite dull fast.

Another, hopefully valuable, lesson for the humble mmo, throwing enemies at players 24/7 is not 100% guaranteed to make for long lasting excitement. 

- Shijeer

• ZhqrxtZhqrxt Member Posts: 152

I do. Looking at the cover sometimes and actually think i would have installed it, if it had a single player option. Same with - but not to same degree, Hellgate London. Both game had a really intriguent gameplay, they just lacked in the middle to endgame department.  If some developers have a RP shooter, where you have to aim realtime and headshots equel criticalstrikes, on the market i would defenately be interested.

• WindstryderWindstryder Member UncommonPosts: 34

I really enjoyed Tabula Rasa as well, both as a Spy and a Medic. Main reason it failed in my opinion was that the devs spent too much time focusing on the whole pvp thing and less fixing issues and adding more end content. The way the game was setup adding new content would have been easy with the wormholes and shuttles...was like a guaranteed no end to areas to add.

Wish NCsoft would get off their asses and just release the server codes for Tabula Rasa and Auto Assault, they were both pretty unique games that were fun and would be nice to use the game boxes for more than bookends.

Originally posted by Shijeer

Was entertaining but ultimately got repetitive and lacked real focus, the never-ending war motif sounded good on paper but didn't quite work out that well. Once players understood that their efforts were futile and meaningless it got stale and quite dull fast.

Another, hopefully valuable, lesson for the humble mmo, throwing enemies at players 24/7 is not 100% guaranteed to make for long lasting excitement. 

- Shijeer

Agreed. It would've been cool though if they had something similar to FFXI where every week the "past" changes and either the beastmen or one of the countries owns a zone. I just think this game had so much untapped potential. 

• ShijeerShijeer Member Posts: 131
    Originally posted by Blazeyer

- Shijeer

Agreed. It would've been cool though if they had something similar to FFXI where every week the "past" changes and either the beastmen or one of the countries owns a zone. I just think this game had so much untapped potential. 

IMO its biggest flaw was the lack of a proper 'meta-game' in which conquest and territory control actually mattered on a larger, more strategic scale. The whole 'enemies spawning after set periods of time near bases' was so superficial and shallow it pains.

- Shijeer

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683

- Shijeer

IMO its biggest flaw was the lack of a proper 'meta-game' in which conquest and territory control actually mattered on a larger, more strategic scale. The whole 'enemies spawning after set periods of time near all bases' was so superficial and shallow it pains.

- Shijeer

True, but the potential!

TR did things no one else seemed to think of. It was like someone merged WoW and planetside and set it loose on the world. It had some new ideas about combat, about persistent world gameplay, about everything!

It suffered from a lack of funds, a lack of hype, and a lack of time to grow. Given another year or two and it could have been a monster.

• vladakovvladakov Member Posts: 710
    Originally posted by Archid

Aye! o/ I liked it alot back then.. Now Global Agenda has something similiar to Tabula Rasa and its good too.

tabula rasa is nothing like global agenda,   TB really gave the open world feel,  GA does not

• gauge2k3gauge2k3 Member Posts: 442

it's weird the opinions you guys have of why it failed.  I always thought it failed because

- Lack of communication from development team

- total lack of end game content (any type of linear progression)

While there were other things, I think most players would have accepted the other things had these two been rectified at launch.  Here is a list of some of the other (more minor things)

- lack of controllable bases by guilds or factions

- the crafting was so terrible, if I remember correctly only 1 or a small few of crafting specialities were useful or something like that.

- No apparent direction for the game or storyline

That's really all I can think of right now.  I LOVED this game.  But it really fell short.  I was going to return when they added the first two things but they quit instead :(

• angrylama15angrylama15 Member Posts: 23

The only problem i had with TB was that it felt so empty, i couldn't for the life of me understand why such a great game had such a small player base. It was challenging, fresh and created a great atmosphere to play in. It is sorely missed.

Originally posted by terrant

- Shijeer

IMO its biggest flaw was the lack of a proper 'meta-game' in which conquest and territory control actually mattered on a larger, more strategic scale. The whole 'enemies spawning after set periods of time near all bases' was so superficial and shallow it pains.

- Shijeer

True, but the potential!

TR did things no one else seemed to think of. It was like someone merged WoW and planetside and set it loose on the world. It had some new ideas about combat, about persistent world gameplay, about everything!

It suffered from a lack of funds, a lack of hype, and a lack of time to grow. Given another year or two and it could have been a monster.

It had a lot of hype surrounding the release. I mean it wasn't  a "WoW" type hype by any means. But there were interviews on sites such as IGN, plus this was Richard Garriot's big comeback into the MMO world. I agree completely though it had such potential that wasn't realised. 

R.I.P (but hopefully not forever)

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766

I really enjoyed TR a lot. There were times that it felt buggy but it still had some very fond memories in my mind. I wish they would release a game similar to it. GA looks pretty good, not the same though.

• DameonkDameonk Member UncommonPosts: 1,914

I do miss TR sometimes.  I didn't get to play it very long and was just starting to like it when they announced the game was shutting down, so I left.

My friend played it for quite a while longer than I did and it was one of his favorite games.

My opinion on the problem is that they should have made it more group based.  It was a pseudo-FPS multiplayer game and it should have been treated as such.

Soloing was... well, ok.... it was kind of boring and not too exciting really, but grouping in TR was such a BLAST!  It was honestly some of the most fun I've ever had in an MMO game.  Unfortunately if I didn't already know the people I was grouped with, it was neigh impossible to get a PUG going to capture a base or do some questing.

I really feel if they had forced grouping a bit more it would have been drastically more popular.

Edit:  There's such a huge focus these days on solo gameplay that I feel the genre has really lost touch with what made it great in the first place, adventuring with friends.

Edit2:  TR also had the best MMOFPS combat I've had the pleasure of playing to this day.  I could almost cry imaging FE with TR's combat system. 

"There is as yet insufficient data for a meaningful answer."

Originally posted by Dameonk

I do miss TR sometimes.  I didn't get to play it very long and was just starting to like it when they announced the game was shutting down, so I left.
    My friend played it for quite a while longer than I did and it was one of his favorite games.
    My opinion on the problem is that they should have made it more group based.  It was a pseudo-FPS multiplayer game and it should have been treated as such.
    Soloing was... well, ok.... it was kind of boring and not too exciting really, but grouping in TR was such a BLAST!  It was honestly some of the most fun I've ever had in an MMO game.  Unfortunately if I didn't already know the people I was grouped with, it was neigh impossible to get a PUG going to capture a base or do some questing.
    I really feel if they had forced grouping a bit more it would have been drastically more popular.
    Edit:  There's such a huge focus these days on solo gameplay that I feel the genre has really lost touch with what made it great in the first place, adventuring with friends.

I don't know there were always quests you needed to find groups for, especially when you're going into an enemy base for a quest or when you're doing an instance. I actually forgot they had instances haha. 

(Play FFXI if you want to group, people are and will always be leveling in that game and you NEED a group to level.)

• CognomanCognoman Member UncommonPosts: 75

Originally posted by Dameonk

Edit2:  TR also had the best MMOFPS combat I've had the pleasure of playing to this day.  I could almost cry imaging FE with TR's combat system. 

I miss TR. too. 

And you are right,  FE with TR game play will be something to behold.  We may have to wait for SWTOR to get our Sci fi MMO jollies.  I tried STO and it wasnt for me.   I hesitate trying GA cause it doesnt have the open world MMO feeling of TR plus I suck at fps pvp :).   Actually.... FE with GA game play and character class would be close to TR... hmmm.

• describabledescribable Member UncommonPosts: 407

i miss TR, it was still massively popular in europe before it... was well "canned" most of the troubling issues from launch had been dealt with.. an economy was forming.

it was.. dare i say it.. becoming "fun"...

sigh...

"nothing actually matters, we're just slightly evolved monkeys clinging to a dying piece of rock hurtling through space waiting for our eventual death." - Frankie Boyle, Mock The Week

• SelenicaSelenica Member Posts: 183

I've been wishing I could try it again. It's too bad there isn't a F2P alternative for it like with Shadowbane(well, it used to be free for a while after Ubisoft dropped it).