Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TERA (1up's Preview write-up from GDC)

hidden1hidden1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

An interesting preview of this game, as the writer makes references to this game looking more like a console game, and stating that it had xbox controller support.

Enjoy...

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3178399

Comments

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I have not read it yet,i am about to,however i will say,i take 1UP reviews usually with more credibility than any other site.This is why i am going to read it lol,usually i just form my own opinion as i have not read many good reviews,just biased ones good and bad.

Hmm not really a review at all,just someone talking about a quick play at the game convention.I have not seen many games at all allow FULL key mapping,if i choose arrows,then i usually cannot key map the CNTRL or INS,witch i like to use.These games always key map it to use WASDQEFRAZXC lmao and the space bar.I am sorry but bunching a bunch of keyboard letters together,i would mess up steady,that is why i prefer a couple mouse bounds,a RCNTRL and ins,especially since i would have to move around a lot,no time for peeking at keys.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• hidden1hidden1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244
    Originally posted by Wizardry

I have not read it yet,i am about to,however i will say,i take 1UP reviews usually with more credibility than any other site.This is why i am going to read it lol,usually i just form my own opinion as i have not read many good reviews,just biased ones good and bad.
    Hmm not really a review at all,just someone talking about a quick play at the game convention.I have not seen many games at all allow FULL key mapping,if i choose arrows,then i usually cannot key map the CNTRL or INS,witch i like to use.These games always key map it to use WASDQEFRAZXC lmao and the space bar.I am sorry but bunching a bunch of keyboard letters together,i would mess up steady,that is why i prefer a couple mouse bounds,a RCNTRL and ins,especially since i would have to move around a lot,no time for peeking at keys.

Well it's more like an action mmorpg... like Hellgate... non-targetting, user manual aiming of the cursor.  Seems the trend these days as it seems more and more gamers seem to want more immersive gameplay... like fps... but with rpg character progressions suck as attributes/skill tree choices/... but will play like a 3rd person action/rpg hybrid.  At least that's what I get from it from what I've read at 1up and various other past posts from ppl and website alike.

I'm personally looking foward to it.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

No need to go on what myself or others say,you can easily find actual beta game play footage on many sites or Youtube.

The way it looks to me ,is it is a little too easy mode,a single player killing a whole group of mobs is unrealistic and too easy,it SHOULD take a group to take down 5/6/7 mobs at once.

I do love action,i was a FPS junky,a very good ut99 player,but this is not the same thing.Battles are still fought out in the open,so there is no using surroundings,the mob AI is either utter junk or going to be too good,example the super slow mobs anyone can dodge them with little effort.However there will be some mobs you won't be able to avoid,so that strat goes out the window.

On paper it basically looks like a typical arcade action game,where a solo player can just just go mindlessly numb killing mob after mob with no rest and no real fear of losing.This is however based on videos i have watched,i would still like to try the game for myself to see if there is any thought or versatility in the combat structure.I also would like to see if grouping is anything at all or the USUAL Korean fake group play where you get bonuses for grouping but players are actually soloing all over within range of the bonus effect.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• hidden1hidden1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

No need to go on what myself or others say,you can easily find actual beta game play footage on many sites or Youtube.
    The way it looks to me ,is it is a little too easy mode,a single player killing a whole group of mobs is unrealistic and too easy,it SHOULD take a group to take down 5/6/7 mobs at once.
    I do love action,i was a FPS junky,a very good ut99 player,but this is not the same thing.Battles are still fought out in the open,so there is no using surroundings,the mob AI is either utter junk or going to be too good,example the super slow mobs anyone can dodge them with little effort.However there will be some mobs you won't be able to avoid,so that strat goes out the window.
    On paper it basically looks like a typical arcade action game,where a solo player can just just go mindlessly numb killing mob after mob with no rest and no real fear of losing.This is however based on videos i have watched,i would still like to try the game for myself to see if there is any thought or versatility in the combat structure.I also would like to see if grouping is anything at all or the USUAL Korean fake group play where you get bonuses for grouping but players are actually soloing all over within range of the bonus effect.

God, I hope it doesn't turn out like you said.  That will be very disappointing.  Well, if it finally goes open beta in the NA region, I'll have to test it, and hope for the best.  It would be a shame to see such a nice eye-candy graphical quality game comepletely suck in the gameplay mechanics and mob AI... don't scare me!  

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

I don't really know why you are posting in this forum, droning on with walls of text about a game you know very little about.  I think you have an agenda personally.  

I say that as a jaded mmo cynic, and this is one of the first games that has looked truly promising in a long time without relying on a specific development team (bioware) or a big name.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

Oh I dont' know.

If anything it seems more theatrical.

In any movie you have ever seen I'm sure you have noticed a few scenes where the heroes have rushed in and against overwhelming odds succeeded.

Lord of the Rings is filled with these types of fights. As a matter of fact many martial arts movies are like this. If you remember crouching tiger hidden dragon there is a scene where the protagonist enters an inn and is accosted by most of the clientele who are trying to act "all big". She then wastes them. I also recall many scenes in Hero where the same is done.

I think what they are trying to do is to imbue the player with a sense that they are powerful. That they are not only the hero but also heroic in stature and ability.

It's a neat mechanic and something that I have actually suggested for LOTRO's skirmishes. Sometimes the skirmishes seem lackluster because you hear "oh no, they are invading" and you look to see 3 mobs coming at you when you know there should be more. If there were more enemies but a bit weaker then I could jump in and "wield my battle blade" and hopefully take them out before they take me out.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Agreed but then again we are viewing content that is somewhat low lvl and made to be soloed.   Lets hope they mix it up / crank  up the difficulty lvl above lvl20ish.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228

lots of people like to solo tho, my self included. while i do group and solo and at times find solo grinding dull and repetitive.. the rewards are out weighting it, how many times has anyone been in a large group of random players and lost sweet gear they needed to some random person who then npced it or auctionhoused it for way too much??

that in a sense makes solo ideal for item grinding, tho it gets boring rather fast. alot of asian games use that market because people do want to get the 1337 gear off mobs them selves without having to buy them for 30x the actual price of them

tho ill hold off truely opionating tera until i actually am able to try it, if i am anyway.. cause like anything you need to test run it before you like or hate it

• MatsugoMatsugo Member Posts: 5

I remember reading some where that the purpose of the group design of weaker multiple NPCs vs. the standard single one on one player vs NPC fights was to create a more "heroic" based feeling,  1 NPC that has a said amount HP and damage potential divided up by lets say between 3 to 5 mobs that you only have to aim in the direction of and not actually click  for the creation a freer flowing combat feeling makes a lot of sense, but I  guess in the end it just boils down to a matter of perspective.