Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Feeling Apathetic about logging in.

AgentAnarkiiAgentAnarkii Member UncommonPosts: 173

Well, i started playing LotRO again about two weeks ago after leveling a toon to level 16 i just feel so bored i mean i'm apathetic about even logging on. I feel like i'm just wasting my time when i log in. Anyone got any ideas why i'm feeling like this?

Comments

• orlacorlac Member Posts: 549

You are getting tired of playing. Take a break.

• AgentAnarkiiAgentAnarkii Member UncommonPosts: 173

i've only been ressubbed for like 2 weeks. how can i already be tired of playing?

• Red_JuiceRed_Juice Member Posts: 20

Same thing happened to me twice. I start out really excited to play and have loads of fun...then, all of a sudden, it hits me like a brick wall.  Maybe I get tired or something...I don't know.  But, whatever the reason, I can't stand to log in anymore and stop playing. This last time I was in a pretty good Kin and had over a month of playing time left, but I just couldn't do it.

Can't explain it, really.  Maybe someone else can.

Originally posted by Red_Juice

Same thing happened to me twice. I start out really excited to play and have loads of fun...then, all of a sudden, it hits me like a brick wall.  Maybe I get tired or something...I don't know.  But, whatever the reason, I can't stand to log in anymore and stop playing. This last time I was in a pretty good Kin and had over a month of playing time left, but I just couldn't do it.

maybe LotRO just isn't for us? I mean not trying to bash the game or it's players but, any other game i normally stop playing for an actual reason. I played WAR like crazy when it came out i got to level 25 or so and realized the population of T3 sucks and i quit because of that. Quit WoW because it was so repetitive. I quit AoC because i didn't like the way the Starter Island was. I quit Aion because it was too grindy for me. Quit Vanguard because of the population. But i'm quitting LotRO out of being apathetic? doesn't make any sense. 

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

I think it's pretty evident that you don't want to play the game anymore, whether it is a temporary thing or not I can't say but usually when one finds themselves doing something and not caring about it it means you don't want to do it and lucky for you since this isn't a job or anything like that you can always quit and find a game you do want to play.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

Dont mean to be rude, but if you choose to play only those like WoW, AoC, WAR, Lotro (the most hyped ones - with the largest marketing campaings and huge IPs behind them), it's no wonder you get bored so easily. There are other hidden gems that takes the playing into a whole different level. They might not hit you at first so strongly like these - but once you get into them, you'll find out new dimensions in playing. For all I mention - fallen earth, eve, darkfall, face of makind. All of them have a free trial.

REALITY CHECK

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

It is the realization that everything is the same - the images and background music may be different, but when you get right down to it - they are all kind of the same.  You are suffering from the overall ennui that has set in on many MMORPGers.  Some people take breaks, switch between games, but usually within a couple of weeks of returning to any game - they are hit with a general malaise toward the game they do not quite understand.  They may think it is the game and switch games, but they find the same issue still plagues them.  They will likely take a break from gaming, just long enough to forget that everything is the same before returning to some random game only to have the same thing take place.

It does not matter if you are an elf, wearing spandex, flying a ship, or shooting a gun instead of swinging a sword - it does not take long to realize that the lazy little hobbit could have run their own stupid little errands instead of wasting your time, so you could have been doing something more important...

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203

I'd say it's because of some core mechanics: LOTRO has beautiful environment visuals, good community and solid customization but ultimately the combat and even the class mechanics themselves are pedestrian.

So you end up with a quite immersive experience as far as ambiance goes and a positive social interaction, but you just get bored of actually killing mobs and doing quests - which you still have to do. A lot. Because this is still your basic combat-heavy RPG. I still reactivate my account once in a while and almost every single time, it's the dull combat mechanics that wear me out. Everything else is OK. 

Ideally, games with the strengths of LOTRO should not be so combat-focused in my opinion. Combat should be just one of the spheres which players can avoid altogether. Or else they'd better come up with a solid combat system! :)

One post-WOW game I thought had combat and class mechanics right was Vanguard. Too bad it had many other problems and has practically been left for dead now.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Originally posted by AgentAnarkii

maybe LotRO just isn't for us? I mean not trying to bash the game or it's players but, any other game i normally stop playing for an actual reason. I played WAR like crazy when it came out i got to level 25 or so and realized the population of T3 sucks and i quit because of that. Quit WoW because it was so repetitive. I quit AoC because i didn't like the way the Starter Island was. I quit Aion because it was too grindy for me. Quit Vanguard because of the population. But i'm quitting LotRO out of being apathetic? doesn't make any sense. 

I hate to say this but it seems like you quit a lot. Not to say it isn't your right but you seem to find reasons to quit.

You could have made your way through T3 and gotten to T4 where the rest of the population was.

Most games are repetitive (mmo's) so you are going to find that everwhere.

The starter area of AoC doesn't last that long and you could have bypassed that relatively quickly.

I can understand the population thing with Vanguard and if you need to be grouped a lot then that could be an issue.

As for LOTRO?

My thought is you need to ask yourself, "why do I want to play these games and do these games ultimately fill that 'why'"?

As for not wanting to log in, you just don't want to. You don't need to have a reason. If you really want to find a reason ask yourself what you wanted from LOTRO and whether or not it is giving you what you want. Too many things in the "it's not" category and you will have your reason.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Could be that the genre as it sits right now, isn't for you.  Could be that what activities you once found enjoyable no longer fit you.  Maybe your subconcious mind, with that goal of getting you to stop playing MMO's and perhaps video games in general, has run out of excuses for you to quit playing.

That said, I've found the first 20 or so levels of LotRO to be the least enjoyable in the game.  They are also the least distinguishable from the other fantasy MMO's, particularly playing as a human.  I found that the higher level I've gone, the more interesting the gameplay was.

I would recommend, should you decide to keep playing, that you maybe accept all the annoying "collect/kill/touch X Y's" quests, but don't make an active goal of completing them.  Focus on the more interesting story based quests and cancel the others if you don't complete them before leaving the area.  There are tons of quests of all kinds in LotRO and more than enough in the early levels, particularly if you're using destiny points for x2 XP.

Originally posted by Robsolf

Could be that the genre as it sits right now, isn't for you.  Could be that what activities you once found enjoyable no longer fit you.  Maybe your subconcious mind, with that goal of getting you to stop playing MMO's and perhaps video games in general, has run out of excuses for you to quit playing.

That said, I've found the first 20 or so levels of LotRO to be the least enjoyable in the game.  They are also the least distinguishable from the other fantasy MMO's, particularly playing as a human.  I found that the higher level I've gone, the more interesting the gameplay was.

I would recommend, should you decide to keep playing, that you maybe accept all the annoying "collect/kill/touch X Y's" quests, but don't make an active goal of completing them.  Focus on the more interesting story based quests and cancel the others if you don't complete them before leaving the area.  There are tons of quests of all kinds in LotRO and more than enough in the early levels, particularly if you're using destiny points for x2 XP.

That's a very good idea.

Also, and this "might" help, don't grab x amount of quests, do them, run back, grab another few, run out do them and rinse and repeat.

This is a sure way to hate what you are doing.

Grab a few quests and just head out. you might find your way to one of the quest areas or you might see something interesting and so you go to investigate. This is how I did most of my Moria experience. This way I eventually did my quests but had a bit of exploring and a bit of orc slaying.

I think it's important in these games to imagine your place in these worlds. Even if you are not a role player per se, if you truly "play" the game then you are a character in this world. So come up with some interesting back story. you don't have to be a role player to imagine what your role is and what your goals are.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    Originally posted by Sovrath

That's a very good idea.

Also, and this "might" help, don't grab x amount of quests, do them, run back, grab another few, run out do them and rinse and repeat.

Grab a few quests and just head out. you might find your way to one of the quest areas or you might see something interesting and so you go to investigate. This is how I did most of my Moria experience. This way I eventually did my quests but had a bit of exploring and a bit of orc slaying.

I think it's important in these games to imagine your place in these worlds. Even if you are not a role player per se, if you truly "play" the game then you are a character in this world. So come up with some interesting back story. you don't have to be a role player to imagine what your role is and what your goals are.

yeah it just sucks when you go through an area exploring (which I love to do) only to find out you have to come back and do it again to finish a quest.  I think if there is a quest that says go explore this area and kill this MOB you should be able to do it exploring and then find the guy and he has heard about what you have done and you can just turn it in.

I found LOTRO started getting boring for me as well.  I started to wonder what I was heading toward?  max level?  I know I am one who overplays games though.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

Originally posted by Thillian

Dont mean to be rude, but if you choose to play only those like WoW, AoC, WAR, Lotro (the most hyped ones - with the largest marketing campaings and huge IPs behind them), it's no wonder you get bored so easily. There are other hidden gems that takes the playing into a whole different level. They might not hit you at first so strongly like these - but once you get into them, you'll find out new dimensions in playing. For all I mention - fallen earth, eve, darkfall, face of makind. All of them have a free trial.

i have played EVE and Fallen Earth, have't played the other though.

Originally posted by Aethaeryn

That's a very good idea.

yeah it just sucks when you go through an area exploring (which I love to do) only to find out you have to come back and do it again to finish a quest.  I think if there is a quest that says go explore this area and kill this MOB you should be able to do it exploring and then find the guy and he has heard about what you have done and you can just turn it in.

I found LOTRO started getting boring for me as well.  I started to wonder what I was heading toward?  max level?  I know I am one who overplays games though.

I would agree with you that that can be an issue.

But I think that if people view it as a bit more like a world and less like a forward progression then that should soften that issue.

I do think that players, especially in level based games, tend to adopt a very segmented attitude to the worlds. Once I finish this area then I'm done. Move on to the next. Now I am finished with this area and I move on to the next.

As opposed to "I've solved some issues in angmar but more problems keep cropping up. I need to go back and settle things again".

Players need to adopt a more world view and drop the "I'm lvl 25 therefore I should be here" view.

Once you can do that then you might find these games more enjoyable and less about leveling.

I remember my first run through seemed alot like that.  My second run-through, with a human Champ went much quicker and seemed less tedious.  When I used my above strategy, I found that I did alot of the secondary quests in the process of doing the primary quests, rather than search the countryside for those mobs/objects.  And if I didn't, I was still on par or higher for advancement and finished the story quests, so I could move on to a new area.

The ones I ended up clearing out were often the "collect X objects" quests, since the last few were usually in out of the way areas.  Kinda wish those quests were set up with the idea of leading you do something else more interesting; where picking the last "flower" triggers an event, for an example.  AoC has a quest like this in Tortage, but they hardly ever use it later in the game.  Quite a waste.

Dragon Age:  Origins made the dog quest foolproof in a way that addresses one of your annoyances.  If you didn't pick up the quest in town, one of your party mentions the dog-keeper needing a certain plant once you approach that quest objective out in the field.  I'd like to see quests work more like that, whenever possible.

Could be hype, but Guild Wars 2 has been claiming to be developing quest mechanics like this.

I would agree with you that that can be an issue.

But I think that if people view it as a bit more like a world and less like a forward progression then that should soften that issue.

I do think that players, especially in level based games, tend to adopt a very segmented attitude to the worlds. Once I finish this area then I'm done. Move on to the next. Now I am finished with this area and I move on to the next.

As opposed to "I've solved some issues in angmar but more problems keep cropping up. I need to go back and settle things again".

Players need to adopt a more world view and drop the "I'm lvl 25 therefore I should be here" view.

Once you can do that then you might find these games more enjoyable and less about leveling.

I guess that's why I like that LotRO keeps starter towns relevant even when you're max level.  Michel Delving in the Shire is still one of my favorite places to craft.  I'd like to see them do some non level-based quests throughout all those areas.  But then, I imagine that's what skirmishes are for.

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

Play a fun class. There are a thousand Hunters. Wardens, on the other hand, make combat much more interesting, kind of like playing a Rogue in WoW - but they're tanks.

That's how I solved the problem, anyways.

Originally posted by Comnitus

Play a fun class. There are a thousand Hunters. Wardens, on the other hand, make combat much more interesting, kind of like playing a Rogue in WoW - but they're tanks.

I love the warden. I just don't have the memory to pull off 5 part gambits under fire.

I love the warden. I just don't have the memory to pull off 5 part gambits under fire.

I can almost manage to remember, but the moment I load another character, all that memory oozed right out my left ear... :P

Same with Runekeepers.  Love the class, but I have to relearn to play all the time.

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

I will share something I learned a long time ago. The only reason to play a MMORPG is for the socialization. If you do not have good guildies there is no reason to play any of them more than a month at most. I log in to find out how Kens job is doing , and if Debbie's cat is still sick or if John's kid got 1st place in the science fair competition more than I do for anything else. Been playing with some of the people in my kinship since the DAoC launch, no kidding

I have played just about all of the main  games and they are all the same as others have pointed out. Biggest difference I can find  is that Eve and Lotro seem to have the best community to me and LoTRO has the best Devs of any studio in my opinion. Lots of new content and a good community is about all I need

I miss DAoC

• sly220sly220 Member UncommonPosts: 606

I can almost manage to remember, but the moment I load another character, all that memory oozed right out my left ear... :P

Same with Runekeepers.  Love the class, but I have to relearn to play all the time.

For the wardens I have found cheat sheets help  if you want them let me know and i have written down spacifics like: boss pulls use 1,2,3,4, ect ect.... and if i forget I have the list right on my desk when play a warden but my  Captain is just awesome once you get past 40.....

• SlineerSlineer Member Posts: 246

Not sure if you found your reason for feeling apethetic towards LoTRO yet but if you haven't, maybe its not the game, maybe its you. I don't play LoTRO, I was in beta and its not my cup of tea, so i cannot comment on what game play reasons you might have, so I wont. Perhaps you are depressed though, or another form of emotional distress, stress at work/relationships etc...

Remember despite all the goals in a game, achive X lvl, get  X Y and Z armor pieces to make a set, top the leader board or w/e, the real goal of a video game, MMO or otherwise is to have fun. The secondary reason would be to socialize, however generally people who do that, do it for the first reason, they find it fun.

So this is something everyone playing MMOs can do, stop for a minute and ask yourself "Is this fun?". And that is all that is important for any particular person in any game.  I too have tried and quit countless MMO's like the OP, and what ever the details may have been, the reason has always been the same, it simply was not fun for me.

• SilokSilok Member UncommonPosts: 732

Same thing happen to me, this month i re-sub and i was very exicted

but after only some days i just didnt have the will to log-in, so i canceled my account. For me the primary reason is because im sick of playing alone. When i first start playing mmo i was playing with 2 of my real life friend so this was really cool, but now 1 of them simply quit gaming and the other play poker online instead so im all alone and im more or less a nomade in search of a good experience gaming. Now im playing single player game instead of mmo.

Originally posted by Silok

Same thing happen to me, this month i re-sub and i was very exicted

but after only some days i just didnt have the will to log-in, so i canceled my account. For me the primary reason is because im sick of playing alone. When i first start playing mmo i was playing with 2 of my real life friend so this was really cool, but now 1 of them simply quit gaming and the other play poker online instead so im all alone and im more or less a nomade in search of a good experience gaming. Now im playing single player game instead of mmo.

You should go to the server forums and check out the kinships looking for people. There are some great kinships who probably would love to have you.

But this goes for any game as well. Just be mindful who you join. Do a bit of research, look at the posts that the other members have made, etc.

Get a feel for them and what they are looking for.

• GlavianGlavian Member Posts: 32

I have had this same problem with games of late. In the last three months I have played Star Trek Online, and Aion and in each case, after a few weeks, I found myself not really wanting to login. I actually made excuses to myself as to why I didnt want to, like "I want to watch this TV show." or "I'm just too tired from work".

Then I sat down and thought about the real reason why I stopped playing them.

The first reason was that I never really got into a guild that I enjoyed, I joined a fleet in STO but no one really chatted much or needed assistance with anything so there wasnt much point to it.

The second, and I think more important reason, is that in every game today, there is no true overall point to them.

The last game that I was REALLY into was DAoC. That game had an actual overall point which was to beat the enemy in RvR, take control of dungeons for your realm, and claim the keeps for that bonus in PvE. None of the games today really have that overall objective. Oh sure, story wise they have the objective of defeating the Dark Lord or stopping the Empire, but those are not objectives you actually have any control over. You just follow the storyline and it all plays out for you. No control over the world.

Eve has cooporations who have objectives of claiming more and more space, but that game has been so deeply established that it is totally pointless to try and catch up now as a new player. Warhammer Online has an objective of claiming territory through PvP, but still not quite as meaningful as DAoC was.

If Mythic were to create a new version of DAoC with the base goals that it had in the original, before ToA and Frontiers, then I would jump in with both feet. I have even considered going back to DAoC now with the new server merge, but I have no wish to grind through levels and ToA to be able to compete in RvR. If they would have merged them into a classic server, I would be there right now, but they didnt.

I think the next MMORPG that has an overall goal that players actually have an impact to, will do very well. There are alot of us out here looking for that agian, and most do not even realize what it is we miss.