Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

About to buy the game, anything I should know?

jmccarthy14jmccarthy14 Member Posts: 42

Took the trial, and it was much more fun than I expected.  Gear is easy to come by, so its just a sigh when you lose it (if you manage it well), and extra nice if you come across some reds corpse with free stuff.

The fun so far is in the mix.  Killing mobs, fishing for the food I use, using their stuff to cast or craft, etc.  I thought the fact that this was a PVP game more than a full sandbox (buzzword for EVE and UO staples)  would bother me, but it really doesn't so far.  (By that I mean you grind your combat, and everything else is just to help in combat, no traders or pure crafters or alternate paths, everyone is a killer).  I like the combat and I like the mix and I like the 'always progressing something'.  

Will this bother me later though?   Do people run out of things to do? Or if I really enjoy it after a week that feeling will stick.

Playing: DO Trial, EVE 1 Day Buy a PLEX promo.
Played: UO, EQ, AC, GW, WoW, CoX, EQ2, AoC, WURM Online, Ryzom, Eve Online, FE Trial
Genres: 4x strategy, Sim Racing, American/Euro RPG, Fighters

Comments

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301
    Originally posted by jmccarthy14

Took the trial, and it was much more fun than I expected.  Gear is easy to come by, so its just a sigh when you lose it (if you manage it well), and extra nice if you come across some reds corpse with free stuff.

The fun so far is in the mix.  Killing mobs, fishing for the food I use, using their stuff to cast or craft, etc.  I thought the fact that this was a PVP game more than a full sandbox (buzzword for EVE and UO staples)  would bother me, but it really doesn't so far.  (By that I mean you grind your combat, and everything else is just to help in combat, no traders or pure crafters or alternate paths, everyone is a killer).  I like the combat and I like the mix and I like the 'always progressing something'.  

Will this bother me later though?   Do people run out of things to do? Or if I really enjoy it after a week that feeling will stick.

I don't think you can take more measures than trying it for yourself, you already tried it, If I try a game and I like it, i buy it. Maybe some people will tell you to grind your stats, just dont hear them, play the way you like.

• jmccarthy14jmccarthy14 Member Posts: 42

Yeah my only worry is its a heftier invest than most MMOs, and I'm getting it for 3 months.  Was mostly curious if this just wears off, that you run out of things to do or the grind overwhelms, or if I like it now I will for a long time.   But yeah I can see what you're saying.

Played: UO, EQ, AC, GW, WoW, CoX, EQ2, AoC, WURM Online, Ryzom, Eve Online, FE Trial

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183
    Originally posted by jmccarthy14

been playing almost a year now, and I've honestly never been bored, or without something to do. This is especially true due to where I live in-game, and the fact that I'm part of a really great clan and alliance.

Often, I log in with the intent of doing one thing, but get swept up in some kind of adventure with clan mates. It's something different every day.

Glad you're having a good time. IMO, the game only gets better and better the longer you play.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

ok yes there a bit of grind but nothing as bad as some people make it out to be. especially if you enjoy the combat it really doesn't feel like a grind. if you play at off peak hours at the beginning and avoid populated areas you wont get killed every 2 minutes by random  veteran farming noobs. the best part is that you can gather everything pretty much afk. it will be hard for the first 2/3 months because you wont really be able to hold your own in pvp, but after you get some HP and skills things will improve. it is a bit discouraging how stats dont have a cap, therfore trying to catch up to veteran players it's basicly impossible. all you can do is get a bit closer.

the only thing i absolutely HATE about this game is not being able to move or remove that yellow cast bar. seriously, wtf?

• OmiragOmirag Member UncommonPosts: 276

If you have not joined a clan already you should it makes the game alot more accessable, so if your having fun now it will be way better in a clan. If you want to learn more about the game but also be in a clan and have fun I would suggest joining NEW, They let you in for 5 weeks and then your on you own. But it lets you meet people to help you out and gets you through the learning curve verywell. Also since its a keepo full of noobs there are alot of veteran jerks that like to attack it and usually get owned by us. Nothing like watching 20 noobs shoot magic missle at a vet running away lol.

• jmccarthy14jmccarthy14 Member Posts: 42
    Originally posted by Killsmallchi

If you have not joined a clan already you should it makes the game alot more accessable, so if your having fun now it will be way better in a clan. If you want to learn more about the game but also be in a clan and have fun I would suggest joining NEW, They let you in for 5 weeks and then your on you own. But it lets you meet people to help you out and gets you through the learning curve verywell. Also since its a keepo full of noobs there are alot of veteran jerks that like to attack it and usually get owned by us. Nothing like watching 20 noobs shoot magic missle at a vet running away lol.

Heard about this clan, but I hear everyone complain that griefing clans wardec them so they can kill noobs in town.  

Anyway I'm doing okay just fishing, making my own stuff (and some off mobs), and raising my casting and 2hander alone so far.  If a clan only makes it better then thats just a plus.

• OmiragOmirag Member UncommonPosts: 276

I have been in NEW for 4 weeks now and you do get the occasional ganker (Dremlock) but most gankers acctually leave you alone since we are in NEW. Last time some one War Deced us there was about 10 minutes of other clans on the server warDec'ing the people that were trying to WARdec us. NEW has lots of connection, which also helps for getting into a good clan instead of some joke clan when you graduate.

• echolynfanecholynfan Member UncommonPosts: 681
    Originally posted by Killsmallchi

I have been in NEW for 4 weeks now and you do get the occasional ganker (Dremlock) but most gankers acctually leave you alone since we are in NEW. Last time some one War Deced us there was about 10 minutes of other clans on the server warDec'ing the people that were trying to WARdec us. NEW has lots of connection, which also helps for getting into a good clan instead of some joke clan when you graduate.

Dremlock and his Hobgoblin buddies are going to be out of a job soon - wonder what kind of scams they'll come up with now? ;)

Currently playing SWTOR and it's MUCH better than it was at launch.