Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The one thing that keeps GW from being a great game

RadmuzRadmuz Member Posts: 85

I have purchased GW and played during the beta weekends. Over the course of that time I have enjoyed the game very much, and plan to play it. I have seen the game continue to improve over time. So I am generally pretty positive about it.

However the game does not have a friendly feel to it for the user. The UI is not nearly as simple as it should be. They have come a long ways with it, but there is still to much mouse clicking. The same problem Eve suffers from, and what keeps people away from it.

Also moving around is just a pain. A person can see item or mob X. You cannot just jump off the short mound to get to it though. Instead you have to run around the whole instance to get there. I understand the logic behind doing it that way. But the bottom line is that it leaves a very unfriendly feel to it.

Because of this I believe GW will have a strong, hard core group of people playing it. They should also have pretty good sales because of the concept of no monthly fee. But over the longer haul people are going to get tired of the unfriendly feel of the game and stop buying the expansions.

They possibly could clean up the UI over time quite easily. But they are going to have to change their thinking on how they lay out these instances. Most people hate running down a long path towards a goal and then finding they have to backtrack. Backtracking sucks, and it is common in the instances now.

Now the pvp is incredible fun. But in order to sell expansions they will have to be adding more instances.

Comments

• ValaraukValarauk Member Posts: 303

I think that this sums up GW's downsides fairly well although I would also include their heavy use of instancing as another negative aspect.

WARNING: Spelling and grammatical errors intentionally left in document to test for Anal Retentive Trolls.

"The key to wasting time is distraction. Without distractions it's too obvious to your brain that you're not doing anything with it, and you start to feel uncomfortable." - Paul Graham http://paulgraham.com/hs.html

• zethcarnzethcarn Member UncommonPosts: 1,558
    I agree.  I'm pretty disappointed how you can't jump.
  • vödkavödka Member Posts: 56

I like the UI so far and the fact that you can't jump off stuff dosn't really bother me... there are so many reasons to like the game and I wouldnt want to worry myself about a couple small details.

• pingopingo Member UncommonPosts: 608

I have to object!

This is not a mountain climbing game.. this is not a platform game.

Why should the developers go down the same road and make characters able to act like retards like in games like wow..?

it looks totally ridicilous when characters jump around for no reason...

I for one am glad that there is no such silly feature like jumping. Destroyes the immersive feel of the game, has no purpose and would be allot of work for little reward...

• ValaraukValarauk Member Posts: 303

Originally posted by pingo

I for one am glad that there is no such silly feature like jumping. Destroyes the immersive feel of the game....

::::03::::::03::::::03:: You were kidding right? The ability to jump destroying the immersive feel of a game? Are you against sitting down too? Can't have people sitting left and right it would be anarchy!

::::12::

WARNING: Spelling and grammatical errors intentionally left in document to test for Anal Retentive Trolls.

"The key to wasting time is distraction. Without distractions it's too obvious to your brain that you're not doing anything with it, and you start to feel uncomfortable." - Paul Graham http://paulgraham.com/hs.html

• semanticsemantic Member Posts: 122

Well, he has a point about the immersion. I like jumping around like an idiot actually, and I agree that it makes me feel more 'into the game' when I'm out running around. But it's not very realistic for a mage to be jumping around and running side to side during combat to avoid getting stuck by a sword.