Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Move over Blizzard, Runic Games on the rise!

Comments

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Originally posted by jimbobz

Originally posted by SaintViktor

Well it certainly isn't about unseating Blizzard because even Runic themselves said it isn't their goal to do so.The point is that we should really give developers the good credit they deserve when they make great games like Torchlight and we can even throw in Borderlands(Gearbox Software) which sold over 3 million copies and the game is not even a year old.
    Torchlight is what Diablo was 10 years ago. When Diablo officially launched there was quite a few issues with the game which at times some would say not even playable for them. Also the reviews for Diablo was mearly average. Torchlight is heading the charge for the next wave of dungeon crawlers. Sure Torchlight has some issues just like Diablo did and both turned out to be great games.
    Blizzard had their time to be great and they were but since all the great talent left they been just an average company now that still lives off the reputation of developers that is not even there anymore. I think Bill Roper put it best when he was asked what he thought about the art direction for Diablo 3. He basically told us that Diablo 3's art style was just Blizzard's interpretation of what they think Diablo should be. Notice he didn't  come out and say "yeah that is not the Diablo we know". He gave us the politically correct answer like most devlopers do. Blizzard had great franchises in Starcraft and Diablo but since they decided to milk WoW so much they totally forgot to give the same special love to Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 as they do WoW. Time has passed Blizzard by but that is ok because now we have great rpgs like Torchlight , Borderlands and quite a few others that done extremely well.

Do you ever stop chatting nonsense, or is it just something that comes naturally?.

Granted Torchlight is an avergae game at best.  Nothing more than that, even the playerbase has said after a month it has virtually no replayability.  Diablo 1 and 2 has a playerbase greater than most major AAA mmos combined, and SC1 has a bigger playerbase than most mmos as well.  So please dont talk about Diablo and starcraft as if you know anything. 

You keep tlaking about blizzard and developers, it amazeses me those failure developers keep saying anythign about blizzard and then kepe saying they were ex employees of blizzard, if they were any good they would probably be working at Blizzard and not failing and failing with each game they make.  You har it all the time, so called ex Blizzard employees making the next big mmo, where the hell are they at now? 

Quoting Bill roper is always a good reference...Not

So you are saying that Jeff Strain (which he owns Undead Labs now), James Phinney, Patrick Wyatt and Mike Obrien of ArenaNet failed at making Guild Wars ? All of them was a part of Blizzard too but typical fanboys will always point out the bad of instead of recognizing the good those developers have done since they left Blizzard. Sure, Roper isn't exactly lighting it up these days as he once did but his achievements during his Blizzard years were great. The Shaefer brothers (Erich and Max) are largely responsible for the great success Torchlight is still having. Flagship Studios which was made of old Blizzard North employees made Hellgate and they only reason they failed was because of bad business decisions by management. The game was actually pretty fun and is currently being remade.

What has Blizzard done is these past 10 years other than milk WoW ? It is taking them over 8+ years to give us SC2 and D3 and honestly both are looking pretty unimpressive. SC2 is looking like a Starcraft lego set in 3d and Diablo 3 is looking like WoW mini-pets on steroids. If that is the best they all mighty Blizzard can muster up in 10 years then their time has certainly passed them by.

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

In the same astonishing day, Torchlight won both the Game Industry News’ RPG Game of the Year Award, and the Game Developer’s Conference Choice Award for Best Debut.
    www.torchlightgame.com/gamenews/2010/03/12/its-a-major-award/
    With Blizzard milking WoW so much and taking 10+ years to even release Starcraft 2 (which by the way many beta testers have confirmed it plays more like an expansion than a whole new game) and Diablo 3 still in the making (which has been given WoW type features and rainbow art direction) Runic Games has made a tremendous game within a year! Also there are major rumblings of a Torchlight 2 multiplayer expansion in the works before they release the Torchlight mmo.
    kotaku.com/5492815/victorious-torchlight-creators-like-the-idea-of-torchlight-2

I tried torchlight, and played it for one night and was so uninterested at the end of that night that I didn't turn it on again. Yet I played Diablo through to the end more times then I can remember.

People can say what they want about Starcraft 2, but you'd be silly to think it won't be a best selling game instantly. So it plays more like an expansion, that would mean they didn't change the elements that everyone enjoyed. I loved Starcraft and I played it for a long long time. But it is currently just an old game and as such player base has dropped off. They release Starcraft 2, even if it only had 1 single new unit, it brings all the players back and makes lots of money.

Blizzard knows what they're doing. I hate WoW as much as the next WoW hater. But as a business and a company they know how to get sales and they know how to make games people enjoy. I will be buying SC2 and so will millions of other people, more then ever bought Torchlight. Diablo 3 will also sell millions, and by the time both of those are out Blizzard will probably be releasing the first details about it's next MMO and it's next WoW expansion. They know how to keep themselves in the spotlight and know how to make sales.

Runic is nothing in comparison so let's be honest.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Originally posted by SnarlingWolf

In the same astonishing day, Torchlight won both the Game Industry News’ RPG Game of the Year Award, and the Game Developer’s Conference Choice Award for Best Debut.
    With Blizzard milking WoW so much and taking 10+ years to even release Starcraft 2 (which by the way many beta testers have confirmed it plays more like an expansion than a whole new game) and Diablo 3 still in the making (which has been given WoW type features and rainbow art direction) Runic Games has made a tremendous game within a year! Also there are major rumblings of a Torchlight 2 multiplayer expansion in the works before they release the Torchlight mmo.

I tried torchlight, and played it for one night and was so uninterested at the end of that night that I didn't turn it on again. Yet I played Diablo through to the end more times then I can remember.

People can say what they want about Starcraft 2, but you'd be silly to think it won't be a best selling game instantly. So it plays more like an expansion, that would mean they didn't change the elements that everyone enjoyed. I loved Starcraft and I played it for a long long time. But it is currently just an old game and as such player base has dropped off. They release Starcraft 2, even if it only had 1 single new unit, it brings all the players back and makes lots of money.

Blizzard knows what they're doing. I hate WoW as much as the next WoW hater. But as a business and a company they know how to get sales and they know how to make games people enjoy. I will be buying SC2 and so will millions of other people, more then ever bought Torchlight. Diablo 3 will also sell millions, and by the time both of those are out Blizzard will probably be releasing the first details about it's next MMO and it's next WoW expansion. They know how to keep themselves in the spotlight and know how to make sales.

There is no doubt SC2 and D3 will sell because they have the brand name that was so popular 10 years ago which was made by developers who are not there anymore. :)

• HrothmundHrothmund Member Posts: 1,061
    Originally posted by Hardlinemonk

Blizzard is still living off the reputation of people that have left that company over 5 years ago. Sure they still make pretty good games but they certainly are not what they used to be.  I always liked Diablo and Stacraft for many years but I'm certainly not impressed with the work they have done on SC2 or D3. It is certainly time to give other developers their due for their hard work and efforts. I believe Runic Games will make a oustanding multiplayer Torchlight 2 and mmo.

How can you even judge D3 or SC2? What a joke!!! All you have to go by would be the beta of SC2 and maybe some screens / short video clips of D3.

It doesn't matter how good or bad SC2 or D3 will be, they will still outsell Torchlight.

• HarabeckHarabeck Member Posts: 616

Torchlight is a good game, but Runic games is nothing next to Blizzard. Sure, they take a long to put out a game, but that's what it takes to put out a hit every time. It's the same thing with Valve. They don't put out shovelware every 6 months, but every game is top quality. SC2 looks awesome and the beta testers are in love with it. We can't judge D3 just yet. Wow has more suscribers at this moment than Runic's F2P mmo will (feel free to call me out on this prediction later). Runic is hardly on Blizz's radar.

[Mod Edit]

• fluffybunifluffybuni Member Posts: 29

Played the trial, Torchlight was fun; but it couldn't really get "into" it like I did with Starcraft, Warcraft3 or D2 (I mean I grew up playing them). Blizzard has yet to fail me and countless other gamers; I'm sure SCII and D3 are going to be at the very least, great games

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

Originally posted by SnarlingWolf

There is no doubt SC2 and D3 will sell because they have the brand name that was so popular 10 years ago which was made by developers who are not there anymore. :)

I see the sarcasm, what would you like to wager on how well those games will sell? Because there is zero doubt that they will sell very well.

• RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168

Shame on me for not having checked out Torchlight until now!

(BBBBBWWWWWWAAAAHHHH raises plunger in salute to Runic games!)

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes

• Frostbite05Frostbite05 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,880

Ight lets be honest now D3 and SC2 are going to be awesome games and worthy sequals. Anyone to thinks otherwise know nothing about blizzard.

• TJ_420TJ_420 Member Posts: 224
    Originally posted by Frostbite05

Ight lets be honest now D3 and SC2 are going to be awesome games and worthy sequals. Anyone to thinks otherwise know nothing about blizzard.

SC2 will- D3.... I sure hope so. It WILL be blockbuster, but it seems a bit cartoony, less dark and less diablo like. I just hope they dont "dumb it down".

That being said, both games will sell BIG time, win awards, blah, bah.

I just really hope diablo stays "dark"

• RemainsRemains Member UncommonPosts: 375

Torchlight seems like a decent game from what I can tell... but I dont see anything innovative or new about it.

It looks like a standard ARPG, kinda like a Diablo 2 spin-off. It got different graphics, the ability to have a pet, fishing and less classes than Diablo 2. Well, thats about it..? And Diablo 2 is 10 years old by now, so nothing strange if its a graphical improvement.

Of course Torchlight could be well worth its price, not arguing that, but it doesnt seem amazing or special in any way, imo.

• hidden1hidden1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

Eventhough the MMO version is said to be f2p when it comes out, I'll give this a go as I'm enjoying the single-player so much.  I like all the special effects like how magic and certain skills look.  Lots of detail to animation as well.

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698

Would have been better off if it had coop.. I bought and played the game for a couple weeks when it launched but havent touched it since ( not even on my PC now ).

Not a bit interested in the MMO either.

• AseenusAseenus Member UncommonPosts: 1,844

Blizzard has too big a fan boy base to ever move over, no matter how many wrong's Blizzard entertainment does people still love them.

• AzurealAzureal Member UncommonPosts: 235

Between this and your other thread (also moaning about D3's rainbow graphics) Im beginning to think you woke and and discovered Blizzard has pissed in your cereal.

I wonder what the world would be like if we all woke up one morning and had nothing to bitch about.

PAST: UO-SWG-DAOC-WOW-DDO-VG-AOC-WAR-FE-DFO-LOTRO-RIFT-GW2
    PRESENT: Nothing
    FUTURE: ESO

• JennysMindJennysMind Member UncommonPosts: 869

I enjoyed Diablo I, Diablo II, and Starcraft like everyone else. And I still play both now and then. However, I am not going to give Blizzard the benefit of the doubt on their new titles. As far as I'm concerned Blizzard will have to prove themselves again. I am not going to be a fanboi and purchase either game at release. I don't do that for any game anymore (been burned too many times). I'll wait for the reviews (especially video).

I would hope other developers in competition with Activision/Blizzard will continue to compete. And if I feel their game is better they are going to receive my money over the heavyweights first. I am looking forward to what Runic Games produces as well as other ARPG developers.

• Brone87Brone87 Member Posts: 244

Originally posted by Hardlinemonk

Blizzard is still living off the reputation of people that have left that company over 5 years ago. Sure they still make pretty good games but they certainly are not what they used to be.  I always liked Diablo and Stacraft for many years but I'm certainly not impressed with the work they have done on SC2 or D3. It is certainly time to give other developers their due for their hard work and efforts. I believe Runic Games will make a oustanding multiplayer Torchlight 2 and mmo.

How can you even judge D3 or SC2? What a joke!!! All you have to go by would be the beta of SC2 and maybe some screens / short video clips of D3.

Beta or not SC2 is not drastically changing from now until release. D3 characters look like WoW mini-pets! So far very disappointed in the D3 character models as well as them making D3 into some form of Disney cartoon for kids.

+1

As I posted in the D3 Art Controversy thread, Diablo 3 looks more like a WoW dungeon crawler than anything from the Diablo universe ( or noted above as "WoW mini-pets!") . Blizzard is probably trying to desperately get there fleeing WoW player base to move over to something different but very familiar with the new art design of D3.

Of course both SC 2 and D3 will have huge sales but seriously... that been there done that feeling is going to kick in so fast I'll be suprised if either game will hold my attention for more than a month.

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

The style of D3 also has a lot to do with the unification of Blizzard's art style across the company. Most of their concept art for all their titles now comes from one art team primarily, or was last I knew.

So it's more of a result of the direction they're taking as a whole, development and production-wise.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• Doctor_DoomDoctor_Doom Member Posts: 13

These topics are always hilarious, blizzard will make tons of cash off of SC2 and D3 and what ever else they make.  Blizzard isn't going anywhere and people will once again eat their words lol.

inb4fanboi comments lol

Hey i'm sure if all you Blizzard doom and gloomers keep screaming about their eminent downfall you'll eventually be right lol.

• inBOILinBOIL Member Posts: 669
    Originally posted by Doctor_Doom

These topics are always hilarious, blizzard will make tons of cash off of SC2 and D3 and what ever else they make.  Blizzard isn't going anywhere and people will once again eat their words lol.
    inb4fanboi comments lol
    Hey i'm sure if all you Blizzard doom and gloomers keep screaming about their eminent downfall you'll eventually be right lol.

whatta heck,ofcource blizzard is not going anywhere but my money is going elsewhere.

after watching C9 videos and D3 videos ,only thing that came to my mind was that D3 is soooo last season.

Generation P

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993
    Originally posted by inBOIL

Originally posted by Doctor_Doom

inb4fanboi comments lol

whatta heck,ofcource blizzard is not going anywhere but my money is going elsewhere.

after watching C9 videos and D3 videos ,only thing that came to my mind was that D3 is soooo last season.

I think that the biggest problem with Blizzard is that they are trying to ride out their older successes as long as possible.

Diablo, Diablo II and Starcraft were all great games. They are also over 10 years old. Blizzard is basically releasing the same types of games 10 years later, with better graphics but without adding any sort of innovation. It may work, on the other hand it may not.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Couldn't  agree more. They've become afraid of taking risks and lost the touch for innovation. Starcraft, Warcraft 3, Diablo 2, WoW, great games, but after WoW they became lazy and complacent, or maybe the original team got changed too much, with people with a different mindset steering the course. Or maybe they have become the victim of their own succcess.

Like SaintViktor and others in this thread said, nobody thinks that D3 and SC2 won't sell well. They should be a success with the amount of money and time that has been thrown towards those games. But the Blizzard that came with creative games like Starcraft, Diablo 2, WC3 and WoW doesn't feel like the Blizzard from these days, especially when seen the available footage of a D3 and SC2.

But there are companies who are more on top of their game than Blizzard, other companies who make great games and still have the guts to take risks or create new franchises. Bioware with Dragon Age and Mass Effect is a good example.

About Torchlight: I don't think they themselves think they can push Blizzard from its throne, but they have done a greaat job for such a small team and in so short a time, so yay to giving indie and other companies the chance to come up with solid, addictive games.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• LorkLork Member Posts: 338

Well it certainly isn't about unseating Blizzard because even Runic themselves said it isn't their goal to do so.The point is that we should really give developers the good credit they deserve when they make great games like Torchlight and we can even throw in Borderlands(Gearbox Software) which sold over 3 million copies and the game is not even a year old.
    Torchlight is what Diablo was 10 years ago. When Diablo officially launched there was quite a few issues with the game which at times some would say not even playable for them. Also the reviews for Diablo was mearly average. Torchlight is heading the charge for the next wave of dungeon crawlers. Sure Torchlight has some issues just like Diablo did and both turned out to be great games.
    Blizzard had their time to be great and they were but since all the great talent left they been just an average company now that still lives off the reputation of developers that is not even there anymore. I think Bill Roper put it best when he was asked what he thought about the art direction for Diablo 3. He basically told us that Diablo 3's art style was just Blizzard's interpretation of what they think Diablo should be. Notice he didn't  come out and say "yeah that is not the Diablo we know". He gave us the politically correct answer like most devlopers do. Blizzard had great franchises in Starcraft and Diablo but since they decided to milk WoW so much they totally forgot to give the same special love to Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 as they do WoW. Time has passed Blizzard by but that is ok because now we have great rpgs like Torchlight , Borderlands and quite a few others that done extremely well.

Art and graphics, what you find to be the most important aspect, make up only one part of an entire game. Diablo 1 and Diablo 2 are great games because of the gameplay. I never heard anyone in-game or out of the game say that they play Diablo 1 and 2 for the art direction/ graphics.

Milking WoW? Get your head out of your ass, ASAP.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Frostbite05

Is blizzard doing anything different to mix up the typical experience, you'd expect from Diablo or it's clones? Aside from taking the grittiness and dark atmosphere the series was known for away?

I have absolutely no interest in games like that anymore, if I want to endlessly slay baddies and loot them I'll just grind away in an MMO. Because lets face it after years and years of playing MMO's how will a game like Diablo feel fresh and exciting? It simply won't, I don't care how fun you make the actual combat, it becomes mind numbingly boring after years of doing it.

They had better mix things up here, or people will view it exactly as they do torchlight, fun for a time, then you stop playing.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• kakarotragekakarotrage Member Posts: 280

Torchlight = Yawn.

World of Warcraft is a proof that MMORPG quality should affect schedule/budget and not the other way around.