Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any free trial? want to try it but.. wanna make sure its..

scythe99scythe99 Member Posts: 326

Not your lame generic fps like call of duty etc. The sci-fi setting is a plus for me, and I been wondering if there is any sort of free trial? After I bought aion and hated it (loved the pvp the rest of the game was a snorefest).. I'll never buy a mmo again before i've tried it.

"An MMORPG could be completely diffirent from WoW. Just look at games like Dofus, Wizard101 or EVE. But as it is, most of the Western MMOs are trying to succeed by out-WoWing WoW. It's like an army of 10 sports games made about same sports, and barely none about other sports. WoW clone is an accurate description of those games, it manages to convey much information with only two words."
-Poster on mmorpg.com

Rift: World of Warcraft clone #9321 Nothing special to see here move along.

Comments

• CitiusCitius Member Posts: 69

Currently no and most likely not anytime soon.  The game can be bought and then played forever after that.  The monthly fee is only required for additional features.

Played: World of Warcraft (5Y), WarHammer (3M), Anarchy Online, Runescape (5+Y), Lord of the Rings Online, Runes of Magic, City of Heroes/Villains, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Fallen Earth (1M)

Currently Playing: Guild Wars
    Currently Trying: None
    Taking a Break From: EVE Online

• jimsmith08jimsmith08 Member Posts: 1,039

No free trial on the horizon, but its on sale at the official website at the moment (not steam for some reason). Id hold off buying it until after patch 1.3 with all the new content and make sure its good. Im sure itll come down in price within the next few months anyway, most games do. There are no subs as of yet and Hirez is holding off the fees until theres more content in the game.

• TaiphozTaiphoz Member UncommonPosts: 353

Thing that's holding me back is weather or not my system will run it smooth enough for me to enjoy and play.

If I cant play it smooth, on medium settings then I wont buy it, is there any kinda tech demo that we can check ?

• jimsmith08jimsmith08 Member Posts: 1,039

It uses the UT3 engine, so if you can run games ok on that then you should be fine after some fiddling with settings.

• KanjibacKKanjibacK Member Posts: 21

I've played the game and it wasn't good because you can't play solo.

• Mmmmmm I wouldn't evaluate this as you do MMORPGs.  Its basically a coop shooter game.  Like one guys said you can't solo at all.

Basically what I am saying is the game consists of three major types of content and watching a video or something should give you a good idea of what the game has to offer.  Whereas figuring out that Aion gets grindy in the 30's is harder to figure out (and ppl say misleading stuff about that as well).

If you don't like the game play and match-made PvP/PvE don't buy it. If you; do buy it.  Its basically that simple.

At first the straight hit or miss shooting mechanics threw me off, but after an hour of playing I realized the game was pretty fun and was decently challenging as a shooter.  That is only real tricky part of the evaluation.

• KanjibacKKanjibacK Member Posts: 21
    Originally posted by gestalt11

If you don't like the game play and match-made PvP/PvE don't buy it. If you; do buy it.

I already brought it so that's why I said it wasn't good.

• EkibiogamiEkibiogami Member UncommonPosts: 2,154
    Originally posted by KanjibacK

If you don't like the game play and match-made PvP/PvE don't buy it. If you; do buy it.

You dident do any Reading on the game did you???

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude; greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    —Samuel Adams

• FraxtureFraxture Member UncommonPosts: 121

Mmmmmm I wouldn't evaluate this as you do MMORPGs.  Its basically a coop shooter game.  Like one guys said you can't solo at all.
    Basically what I am saying is the game consists of three major types of content and watching a video or something should give you a good idea of what the game has to offer.  Whereas figuring out that Aion gets grindy in the 30's is harder to figure out (and ppl say misleading stuff about that as well).

If you don't like the game play and match-made PvP/PvE don't buy it. If you; do buy it.  Its basically that simple.

At first the straight hit or miss shooting mechanics threw me off, but after an hour of playing I realized the game was pretty fun and was decently challenging as a shooter.  That is only real tricky part of the evaluation.

So has the DEV damaged their chance of getting new players since those who have been there from the start are at a level that they don't want to be bogged down with a low level newb on their team?

And if I bought the game is it futile for me to team up cause I have nothing to offer the vets?

Kind of curious how you catch up if you can't solo anything and groups avoid you like the plague due to you inexperince?

• EdariasEdarias Member UncommonPosts: 10
    Originally posted by Fraxture

Mmmmmm I wouldn't evaluate this as you do MMORPGs.  Its basically a coop shooter game.  Like one guys said you can't solo at all.

So has the DEV damaged their chance of getting new players since those who have been there from the start are at a level that they don't want to be bogged down with a low level newb on their team?

And if I bought the game is it futile for me to team up cause I have nothing to offer the vets?

Kind of curious how you catch up if you can't solo anything and groups avoid you like the plague due to you inexperince?

No, your experience wont be hindered due to you being new, this is coming from someone who started playing the game 3 days ago. The PVE is in level guidelines - you aren't jumping into the high end stuff straight away. And the PVP is random, you simply queue yourself up and you will get placed into a match. Levels aren't so drastic as in other games. As a level 5 Medic i was topping healing charts on my first day. Any FPS/TPS background will help a lot, of course. But no, you will catch up.

• ToxiliumToxilium Member UncommonPosts: 905
    Originally posted by Ekibiogami

Originally posted by KanjibacK

You dident do any Reading on the game did you???

You didn't do any reading in school, did you?