Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mentoring

xminatorxminator Member Posts: 306

Yeah, Eq2's answer to sidekicks is incoming:

http://eqiiforums.station.sony.com/eq2/board/message?board.id=pround&message.id=1506&page=1

This will give high levels a chance to team with low levels. From how I understand it, the high level will be "tuned down" to the low levels power. Eg: a good lvl 50 sword will act as a good lvl 20 sword. The low level will receive a xp bonus, the high level a slight xp decrease (but still get xp, kinda no point if your 50 and just want to play with your friends).

Good idea, and will be interesting to observe if they can implement it without opening the powerlevel floodgates.

Comments

• XardrixXardrix Member Posts: 3

Check out City of Heroes some time. Apparently they have a simular system of "Side-kicking" and "apprentacing(?)" where you can increase or decrease your level to your firends for groupin at any level. There, the powerleveling has not effected the game. However, the equipment isn't an issue in CoH.

I would like to see how this will work and hope not too many accounts get banned for exploits when it does first arrive.

• JodokaiJodokai Member Posts: 1,621

I think this is a good system. It will really help out guilds a lot.

I think you're mistaken about Sidekicking not effecting CoH. It happens a lot.

• IsicIsic Member Posts: 15

I think this is the most idiotic move, second only to /pizza for pizza baby!!. Not that it would matter, since the whole game is based on idiotic inventions,. Be ready for some real exploits wich will ruin the game even more.

What do you care, you've never played it.

• ScarisScaris Member UncommonPosts: 5,332

Originally posted by Isic
    I think this is the most idiotic move, second only to /pizza for pizza baby!!. Not that it would matter, since the whole game is based on idiotic inventions,. Be ready for some real exploits wich will ruin the game even more.

Well Isic, I think pretty much everyone here, don't really care what you think because its been made quite obvious already you DON'T think. ::::20::

Have a nice day!

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

• Saren42Saren42 Member UncommonPosts: 94

yea, i can't wait for that to go live, i am poking aroudn with it right now on test server a bit, it seems to work pretty good

• superhero13superhero13 Member Posts: 170

this wont help the sinking ship of EQ2. Crash and burn baby, crash and burn.

• darquenbladedarquenblade Member Posts: 1,015

Originally posted by superhero13

Hmm..aren't you one of the toadies that diligently support Mourning? Why don't you read the latest interview with ergomancer to see where that little gem is headed.

Sinking ship indeed.

Originally posted by darquenblade

Hmm..aren't you one of the toadies that diligently support Mourning? Why don't you read the latest interview with ergomancer to see where that little gem is headed.

Sinking ship indeed.

And that Superhero is the very definiton of getting pwned!

(God I hate leet speak, but sometimes it's just so fitting)

• SaigonshakesSaigonshakes Member Posts: 937

No matter what SOE does the scorned folks will come out of the woodworks and bash it. SOE could make the game free monthly and the all the Eq2 haters would somehow twist it to SOE ripping us all off.

• DyrttDyrtt Member Posts: 422

Hmm... 350,000 paying subscribers. I wish I could fail so miserably.

But back to the topic.

I think this is a great addition to the game. I was thinking of retiring for a little while but I may reconsider now.

• superhero13superhero13 Member Posts: 170

No. I dont diligently support it...I merely bring to light the idiocy of people who tried to claim it was a fake...which is obviiously not true.

I happen to know serveral of the devs...and didnt like seeing people trash a game that real people were spending their money and time creating. Call me crazy.

its funnier for me to see EQ with its warchest of hundreds of millions of dollars fail...rather than an upstart company of people who still know what its like to be a gamer fail.

EQ2 is a steaming pile...but yet people are still drawn to it. Its just funny to watch.

• darquenbladedarquenblade Member Posts: 1,015

No. I dont diligently support it...I merely bring to light the idiocy of people who tried to claim it was a fake...which is obviiously not true.
    I happen to know serveral of the devs...and didnt like seeing people trash a game that real people were spending their money and time creating. Call me crazy.
    its funnier for me to see EQ with its warchest of hundreds of millions of dollars fail...rather than an upstart company of people who still know what its like to be a gamer fail.
    EQ2 is a steaming pile...but yet people are still drawn to it. Its just funny to watch.

You know what really pisses me off? So many people confuse the 'big bad corporate' side of SOE with the actual developers who obviously pour their heart and soul into this game. Just because they happen to develop EQ2, and work for SOE, they OBVIOUSLY don't know what it's like to be a gamer?

It has become sooo cliche to refer to SOE as this evil, dystopian regime, that no one stops to realize anymore that there are dedicated teams of gamers just like us working on EQ2 (and all MMOs for that matter, no matter what company).

The corporate bigwigs don't develop the game, for God's sake.

• jayheld90jayheld90 Member UncommonPosts: 1,726

Originally posted by darquenblade
    You know what really pisses me off? So many people confuse the 'big bad corporate' side of SOE with the actual developers who obviously pour their heart and soul into this game. Just because they happen to develop EQ2, and work for SOE, they OBVIOUSLY don't know what it's like to be a gamer?
    It has become sooo cliche to refer to SOE as this evil, dystopian regime, that no one stops to realize anymore that there are dedicated teams of gamers just like us working on EQ2 (and all MMOs for that matter, no matter what company).
    The corporate bigwigs don't develop the game, for God's sake.

i agree completely here, they are all people just like you and i. im sure they play games too, and they get paid to make them. most people dont even care about the hours they probably put into this and all the whining that people do that they HAVE to listen to because its thier job. also...last time i checked EQ2 wasnt failing, unless 350k subs is failing... [sarcasm] yeah, 5.2 million dollars a month isnt much, i guess we should just stop the game and call it a day [/sarcasm]

• Ranma13Ranma13 Member Posts: 747

Despite what people say about SOE, it's a known fact that their games succeed. Everquest was a huge success and despite the flawed gameplay mechanics (like camping for hours for a spawn), many many people played it and still do to this day. Planetside, though not as strong as SOE had hoped it would be, still has a nicely-sized group of dedicated players. Star Wars Galaxies is a prime example of what NOT to do in the MMORPG market (rush an incomplete product out the door and then futilely try to balance things out later) but there's still quite a few players and it introduced some new and interesting concepts into the MMORPG genre.

And now we have Everquest II with 350K subscribers, which is much more than some MMORPGs can claim. EQII is hardly dying and is in fact flourishing with those that are bored with WoW after a few months of gameplay and dealing with the questionable server stability issues. Despite how much the WoW fanboys want this game to go away, the fact is that it will continue to gather an audience.

I myself am one that was converted to EQII after I tried the trial. I had quit WoW about 2 week's prior and was looking for something fun to play. I also know 4 other people who have been hooked on EQII and bought a box thanks to the trial.

• KaneKane Member Posts: 780

Count me as one sucked in by the trial. I'd watched my roommate play many times and thought it looked good, but I had no idea until actually playing it just how good.

I'm still subscribed to WoW, but that wont stop me from subscribing to EQ2. Different games, fun for different reasons.