Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking to buy a new PC

2»

Comments

• Feather5Feather5 Member Posts: 90

Buying with a catalogue ya see so choice is hugely limited, looking on littlewoods.com,

I know very little about computer upgrading, for instance if i was to buy this computer what would my options be for upgrades graphically and processor wise?

www.littlewoods.com/rf/p.do/electricals/computers/desktop-pcs/phenom-805-base-unit

Ex. myth of soma, legend of mir, mu online and eudemons online player.

Current game : Runescape (until pc build is complete)

• viddsterviddster Member UncommonPosts: 220

From what I can tell as Littlewoods provide very little information is that that is an Acer Aspire M7200.

First point is that it does not come with a monitor, which is a problem if you do not have one.

It has 4gb DDR2-PC6400 but it can take up to 8GB so it is upgradeable, but this is oldish memory now most new PC's have DDR3 memory.

It has only one PCI-e x16 so you can only have one card (no SLI), but you could upgrade later for a single newer card. I cannot tell if the PSU would support a much more powerful card as I cannot find the full specs.

Might just wait until july then go with curry's as my current finance for my kitchen appliances is almost paid, decisions decisions, if that computer i posted is upgradable in the future with a quicker processor and better graphics card i may just get that though.

Thanks for all everyones help made a decision and it will be this in the next couple of months, good price fantastic finance deals at currys also, so cheers.

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/packard-bell-ipower-i9521-uk-04144137-pdt.html

The HD 5570 is actually worse than the 9800GT, just to make things complicated . :)

If you are going to wait a couple of months they will probably update their selection, and you should be able to get a better choice.

lol you all confuse me, on the link above somewhere about graphics cards the 5570 is like 400 above the GT, meh im confused.

Im getting my numbers mixed up again arnt i?... :(

Yes I think that might be the 5770 you saw, which is a pretty good card, where as the 5570 is a budget card only about £60 by itself. That chart is hard to see, my old eyes ache looking at it. ;)

• Nikkons017Nikkons017 Member UncommonPosts: 104

even though i might be mistaken, there is not reason why you should get a quad core processor at this point. 4gb's or ram is good as long as you are running windows 7 64bit or linux 64bit...... unless you are running tons of things at once more ram is a waste.

and there is not really that great of a difference between ddr2 and ddr3 ram in most applications, personally you don't need to waste all the money on ddr3 with 1600+ mhz blah blah when you can get more ddr2 with 5 or lower cas timings and run anything like lighting and 4gb of ddr2 is like 60 bucks now>>?

if your all about graphics cards just get one that is dx11 but you might as well wait as they get cheaper cause there is no reason to spend oodles of money on the flavor of the month touting all the high preformance as it will be replaced well within a year if you judge it by that....