Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2010 - Returning player mini review

DJXeonDJXeon Member UncommonPosts: 553

Such a lot of misery on this forum, clear your brains & give Potbs a fresh start.

I like Potbs more than ever.

Since re-subbing a couple of months ago here is the best of what the others are missing:

• Having two populated servers makes a massive difference so that Potbs is played they way it was intended.
  • On Roberts there appears to be much less ganking than before, not eliminated but far more random, merchants are now often seen PVP speed flagged in stripped weapon ships!
  • There are two new popular daily missions in Havana for solo players.
  • Traders can fulfil buy orders on the AH.
  • Switching nation in the 72 hour period to give the players a powerful option to change sides adds a lot of variety into game-play.
  • Blockading port feature makes making red zones easy & port battles much more often.
  • New Port Battle maps makes PVP much more interesting.

So there you have it hot from a happy Potbs gamer, I'm having a ball

Sure there is room for improvement & we will soon experience the Power & Prestige expansion.

Potbs is full of WIN!

Comments

• ZeyaVisuddhaZeyaVisuddha Member Posts: 15

That's good to hear. Do you think the economy has improved? When I first started playing I was hoping to have some serious trading and moneymaking going on. You know, run goods from point A to point B and play the market for fun and profit. But somehow it seemed like the only way to do production properly was to be in a guild with structured roles, in a closed system. The open market was kind of stagnant. Basically: has it become easier to be a solo-trader type of person? Or do you find yourself being forced to participate in PvP combat as it was in the early days?

• DJXeonDJXeon Member UncommonPosts: 553
    Originally posted by ZeyaVisuddha

That's good to hear. Do you think the economy has improved? When I first started playing I was hoping to have some serious trading and moneymaking going on. You know, run goods from point A to point B and play the market for fun and profit. But somehow it seemed like the only way to do production properly was to be in a guild with structured roles, in a closed system. The open market was kind of stagnant. Basically: has it become easier to be a solo-trader type of person? Or do you find yourself being forced to participate in PvP combat as it was in the early days?

The economy is much the same except more active due to higher populations.

It is still a little slow due to less PVP but picking up nicely since the server merge.

There are still advantages to be in a closed loop society that produces at cost price for their members particularly for bundleship production that needs a lot of resources.

You can buy at good prices in one port & sell in another for profit, it makes it easier now with buy orders that can be fulfilled immediately.

Some players find it easier & more profitable to do daily missions, the choice is yours.

• TorikTorik Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    Originally posted by DJXeon

Originally posted by ZeyaVisuddha

The economy is much the same except more active due to higher populations.

It is still a little slow due to less PVP but picking up nicely since the server merge.

There are still advantages to be in a closed loop society that produces at cost price for their members particularly for bundleship production that needs a lot of resources.

You can buy at good prices in one port & sell in another for profit, it makes it easier now with buy orders that can be fulfilled immediately.

Some players find it easier & more profitable to do daily missions, the choice is yours.

In order for the PotBS economy to move away from closed society production, there needs to be more economic goals beyond just making ships.  A closed production line is great at producing ships but if people want to use the same resources to produce things like houses, build cities or create fluff items, that streamlined efficency will not work to make everyone happy and market forces will be able to reassert themselves.  (ie if the society production line does not make the stuff I want, I will take the production from my lots and trade it outside the society).

• KieferCKieferC Member UncommonPosts: 35

ZeyaVisuddha,

As an economic player I can tell you that the Open Market in the game is doing well and experiencing a rebound in participation by all players in the game.  More econ players have come into PotBS and it seems many returning econ players from the beginning are here and liking what they see.  The ability to profit from moving goods from port A to port B is an essential and rewarding duty today.  The Auctionhouse is alive and doing well.  There are even a few societies that thrive on a 100% Free Market policy.  You might find it worth your time to check it out again.  Of course the redzones are an issue but the risk can be reduced greatly with the right ship and tactic.  FTs have a high success rate in the game in eluding Pirates/Privateers in the red.  FTs that are willing to use their noggin and utiilize patience to their advantage can usually run the red with out fear.  Its still a calculated risk, which it should be.  no risk means no fun. 

Key to a Economic Players success in redzone hauling  = choosing the right ship for the right job.

• KieferCKieferC Member UncommonPosts: 35

Torik, 

I completely agree with what you have wrote.  FLS, with the next patch will be 'buffing' the economic unrest bundles so that will help with the economic endgame goals problem.  I would like to see more player made items in the game that would be in demand and utilized.  I don't know...  player made avcom equipment, maybe PB related upgrades (cannons, lumber/masonry work for defensive structures), or something of that sort.  The next patch will see a new demand for materials that makes me excited to see how the closed loop element will respond.  I not sure they can swing both a successful ship based production line and a bundle production line.  I think there will be plenty of room for outsourcing ie...  open market trading to obtain items.

• PiratemartPiratemart Member Posts: 2

Post moved to respond to Murphy's pre-review. Was listed here by mistake (admin please delete this post)

Looks like Rusty has got one of the mmorpg staff writers to take a new look.

www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/271644/Pirates-of-the-Burning-Sea-Looking-at-the-Early-Game.html

Unashamed bump to put it on top of all the QQ crying fail threads.

• describabledescribable Member UncommonPosts: 407

yeah i think it's a bit late for that, it failed the second "eco bombing" was largely ignored (even after the 3 attempted patches at fixing it just after launch, nearing the end of the first "campaign"). As the developers banned, and deleted large sections of forum posts and proof that the system was a huge failure....

it kinda hit them though, which is why there's no longer so many servers (remember the days the oceania wanted their "own server" and were given it... haha long time since then).

Never resubscribed, the developers tried the "touchy feely" approach but couldn't deal with criticism on thier poor design choices and failed gameplay... *shudders* filling in those 20+ sony bug reports per day... months after launch (just after the first french port redesign).

Nah.... glad i haven't went back... cheap as well on steam... you can even get it for £3.99 if you find a store that sells it in the UK ;) :P

it already failed to what it could have been. Now it's merely surviving...

"nothing actually matters, we're just slightly evolved monkeys clinging to a dying piece of rock hurtling through space waiting for our eventual death." - Frankie Boyle, Mock The Week

Originally posted by describable

yeah i think it's a bit late for that, it failed the second "eco bombing" was largely ignored (even after the 3 attempted patches at fixing it just after launch, nearing the end of the first "campaign"). As the developers banned, and deleted large sections of forum posts and proof that the system was a huge failure....

That was Danicia "the bacon goddess" who no longer works for FLS :)

it kinda hit them though, which is why there's no longer so many servers (remember the days the oceania wanted their "own server" and were given it... haha long time since then).

Most aussies I speak to now much prefer the busier current servers

Never resubscribed, the developers tried the "touchy feely" approach but couldn't deal with criticism on thier poor design choices and failed gameplay... *shudders* filling in those 20+ sony bug reports per day... months after launch (just after the first french port redesign).

They are dealing with it better now, quite a lot of things have been dealt with.

Nah.... glad i haven't went back... cheap as well on steam... you can even get it for £3.99 if you find a store that sells it in the UK ;) :P

It's reaching a turning point, Power & Prestige should see resurgence.

If you havn't tried the solo tortuga "Pit boss",'  treasure hunts & group black flag dread saints missions you are missing out.

• HannothanHannothan Member Posts: 13

Originally posted by describable

That was Danicia "the bacon goddess" who no longer works for FLS :)

Most aussies I speak to now much prefer the busier current servers

They are dealing with it better now, quite a lot of things have been dealt with.

It's reaching a turning point, Power & Prestige should see resurgence.

If you havn't tried the solo tortuga "Pit boss",'  treasure hunts & group black flag dread saints missions you are missing out.

It wasn't just Danicia deleting threads en mass. I liked the whole ban the players doing this, that wasn't against the rules when the started doing it, but became against the rules after a while, only to have that once again reversed back to the old rule of not being against the rules. Community management has been nothing short of dreadfull from FLS.

Most ausies wanted their own server, with their own time slots for port battles. Once FLS finaly got around to giving them one, it was too late. When invincable was closed, the handful of remaining ausies saw they wouldn't have a populated server and either quit or whent elsewhere. Leaving the oceanic server still born. Because people were duped into using their one and only transfer to go to it, more people left. The reason most prefer the other servers is because FLS failed to deliver on promises, out right lied, offered no support to people stuck in the wasteland that was defiant, and just generally bent them over the tabled. You may have enjoyed the low population of defiant, but it was a wasteland from launch.

While a lot of things have been delt with, it took them a couple years to do it. And more things are popping up that need to be delt with. FLS is too slow to fix their screw ups, too prone to making screw ups, and all in all lacks a solid vision on which to base their game. One month it's all about PvE. The next it's all about PvP. Most of the time, these two conflict with eachother, yet FLS still believes it can please both parties all the time. The design choices of FLS are still poor, and there are still game play areas that need to be worked on, yet are ignored... or will be worked on "Soon"

Power and Prestige will not be a turning point. If it's ever delivered at all. I've heard the name thrown around a lot, but yet a surprising lack of features. There may be a temporary increase in players IF it releases, but that won't last. People who left for legit reasons won't return for Port Governance and all new levels of grind.

PvE has never been the selling point for this game. Avcom sucks to high hell, NPC AI blows to the point they had to make NPC ships ignore certin rules to over come their incompetance sailing.. Oooo a misison where I have to duel 3 NPCs in avcom. OMG it's so awesome and not repetative at all! Bottom line is it may be interesting the first time, but like all scripted content, once is more than enough.

I don't see this game ever pulling out of the nose dive FLS put it into. While I would love to blame Sony for it, FLS had creative control.

•  

• Having two populated servers makes a massive difference so that Potbs is played they way it was intended.

• Traders can fulfil buy orders on the AH.

• Switching nation in the 72 hour period to give the players a powerful option to change sides adds a lot of variety into game-play.

• Blockading port feature makes making red zones easy & port battles much more often.

What's this?  Four major features we were practically begging for a year ago?  If I weren't about to try Darkfall, I might resub for a month to look around.. good to hear about these changes.