Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Earn a Jedi or Roll one from start?

2»

Comments

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692
    Originally posted by deadline527

I hate this hardcore vs casual crap. Why cant you just say people who play more and work harder vs people who play less and dont put as much effort into it? Of course they are going to get stomped. Just like how in the real world there are people who work  hard, long hours to become successful while others work more casually and are not as successful, albeit happy.
    People who put in more work SHOULD be more powerful then those who work less. Unless of course you enjoy the PeeWee football mentality of  "everybody wins". Which is bull to be honest when you pass the age of five.
    Stop complaining you suck because you cant put in as much time and effort as people who play 20 hours a day. Its life. Deal with it. Just because you cant achieve top end items doesn't make the game any less fun. In fact, giving everybody the best only makes it pointless to strive to be better then others. It takes the fun out of achieving such things. Call it e-peen, hardcore, or whatever the hell you want, but its life.
    There are always people who will be better then you and until this generation learns that games will keep being trivialized to give everybody everything.

See this is why I love shooters. I can play less and still beat the tar out of people that think playing all day qualifies them as being superior players.

Also, isn't it a bit of an oxymoron to say one plays 20 hours a day, then say 'it's life'?

I'm pretty certain that implies a lack of a life...

Fact, no matter how much you play a game, you can still suck as a player. If you need an alpha class or better equipment to make yourself feel superior to other players, then the likelihood is that you actually aren't a very good player. Don't get me wrong, decking yourself in the best gear available to your character's design is definitely important to maximizing potential, but it does nothing to make you a better player.

I'm of the group what want's to play a game when I want for as long as I want in an effort to achieve my goals. I don't need to get things quicker, unless it's also more mentally engaging and challenging.

However, all I keep seeing from 'hardcore' players is they don't want challenging content, they just want the time sink. Because actual skill, they have not. So they shall opt for the only option that creates a rarity of commodities in vogue by putting the only cap that won't stop their bad skills from getting in the way while prohibiting the rest from attaining them.

Just like how in the real world there are people who work long hours to assuming that means they are successful while, others work less but more efficiently and consequently more successful, and happier.

It's just how you spin the process to get what you want.

I want to play a challenging game, I don't want to play a waiting game.

So I'd opt for maybe allowing unlockable classes, though they should be balanced, not overpowering nonsensically. Otherwise, maybe unlockable perks for existing player classes similar to a prestige class system. Haven't thought on what details might exist therein.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

In a starwars world, all players should be special, and all players should have access to the force... but not everyone that has access to the force is a Jedi... 

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• BullseyeArc1BullseyeArc1 Member UncommonPosts: 410
    Originally posted by gauge2k3

I think we have all learned from past experiences, having an alpha class just causes the entire game to be about getting it.  Galaxies would be an entirely different ( and better ) game had they just made it so jedi were not going to be in the game at all, or selectable from the start.

No one woud have bought the game.    And second the biggest mistake was making it non Alpha after more than half the population ground out a Jedi and were in the prossess of grinding a Jedi.     SOE shot themselves in the head with the NGE.    

• SuvrocSuvroc Member Posts: 2,383
    Originally posted by BullseyeArc1

I think we have all learned from past experiences, having an alpha class just causes the entire game to be about getting it.  Galaxies would be an entirely different ( and better ) game had they just made it so jedi were not going to be in the game at all, or selectable from the start.

No one woud have bought the game.    And second the biggest mistake was making it non Alpha after more than half the population ground out a Jedi and were in the prossess of grinding a Jedi.     SOE shot themselves in the head with the NGE.    

I did, and I preferd the game without Jedi.

• Bob_BlawblawBob_Blawblaw Member Posts: 1,278
    Originally posted by Suvroc

Originally posted by BullseyeArc1

I did, and I preferd the game without Jedi.

Same here. I much preferred the game before I ever saw a player Jedi (of which I had no interest in becoming).

• ericlatrelleericlatrelle Member UncommonPosts: 176
    Originally posted by Deivos

Originally posted by deadline527

I hate this hardcore vs casual crap. Why cant you just say people who play more and work harder vs people who play less and dont put as much effort into it? Of course they are going to get stomped. Just like how in the real world there are people who work  hard, long hours to become successful while others work more casually and are not as successful, albeit happy.
    People who put in more work SHOULD be more powerful then those who work less. Unless of course you enjoy the PeeWee football mentality of  "everybody wins". Which is bull to be honest when you pass the age of five.
    Stop complaining you suck because you cant put in as much time and effort as people who play 20 hours a day. Its life. Deal with it. Just because you cant achieve top end items doesn't make the game any less fun. In fact, giving everybody the best only makes it pointless to strive to be better then others. It takes the fun out of achieving such things. Call it e-peen, hardcore, or whatever the hell you want, but its life.
    There are always people who will be better then you and until this generation learns that games will keep being trivialized to give everybody everything.

See this is why I love shooters. I can play less and still beat the tar out of people that think playing all day qualifies them as being superior players.

Also, isn't it a bit of an oxymoron to say one plays 20 hours a day, then say 'it's life'?

I'm pretty certain that implies a lack of a life...

Fact, no matter how much you play a game, you can still suck as a player. If you need an alpha class or better equipment to make yourself feel superior to other players, then the likelihood is that you actually aren't a very good player. Don't get me wrong, decking yourself in the best gear available to your character's design is definitely important to maximizing potential, but it does nothing to make you a better player.

I'm of the group what want's to play a game when I want for as long as I want in an effort to achieve my goals. I don't need to get things quicker, unless it's also more mentally engaging and challenging.

However, all I keep seeing from 'hardcore' players is they don't want challenging content, they just want the time sink. Because actual skill, they have not. So they shall opt for the only option that creates a rarity of commodities in vogue by putting the only cap that won't stop their bad skills from getting in the way while prohibiting the rest from attaining them.

Just like how in the real world there are people who work long hours to assuming that means they are successful while, others work less but more efficiently and consequently more successful, and happier.

It's just how you spin the process to get what you want.

I want to play a challenging game, I don't want to play a waiting game.

So I'd opt for maybe allowing unlockable classes, though they should be balanced, not overpowering nonsensically. Otherwise, maybe unlockable perks for existing player classes similar to a prestige class system. Haven't thought on what details might exist therein.

Outstanding post..

• mad-hattermad-hatter Member UncommonPosts: 241

Originally posted by Dalgor

Pre-NGE has Jedi correct, as posted above. Being able to play a jedi from the start is just silly and any game that allows it prolly wont be on my to play list

having unlockable jedi had the following effects

-everyone was grinding to unlock

-prices of weapons were expensive as all get out because of lack of crafter ( to busy  grinding)

-the was NO galactic civil war (to busy grinding)

-most of the jedi were stereotypical hardcore aholes (some played out jedi correctly and honerably but most didn't)  leet speak was insane, showing off was the norm.  "I l1ght5ab3red you loz."

-mass quitting of players who didn't want to be a jedi but wanted to be on par with the other classes.  This is my opinion was the first mass exodus, not the CU.  I left during CU.  Played some of NGE to try it out, it was worse than CU.

There was so many negative effects of having an alpha class.  The only people that want them are the people that know they have the time and dedication to grinding a billion hours so they can have someone no one else can.  It just doesn't promote fair and balanced gameplay.

Not sure what server you were on but this wasn't the case for Bria.  Sure there were plenty of people grinding to unlock, but there were PLENTY of people who didn't give 2 hoots about it.  There were no lack of crafters,  maybe prices were a little steep, but if your main was a crafter and you saw the huge demand for grinding weps/gear/resources you would had taken advantage of it too.   PVP may have taken a "little" hit during the grind but it was still abundant as ever on Bria at least.  Mass quitting however, I couldn't really comment on that, my guild at the time hadn't started to see a loss till the CU,  and even then I noticed no real mass quitting until the NGE hit.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

well, I was in a very fun guild on Eclipse, we socialized and did things solo and together, from themparks/the few dungeons ingame and pvp+social events.

it was basicly the case with the whole community there.

Many wanted to be a chreature handler, so we joined the many pugs in Dantooine and started grinding (and it was fun then) with rockbeetles, then sludge panthers and later grauls+rancors. Ow how many pikets we killed and it was fun.

Then SOE started handing out those holograms to get everyone started on the famous hologrind.

I could care less, was a happy MCH and later bounty hunter, but suddenly our community fell apart as everyone was grinding professions solo. No more socializing except when they wanted to buy stuff from you to continue their grind. No more pvp as everyone was doing the Grind.

With nothing more to do, I started as well and by the time I was doing my 25th-30rd profession, our guildleader unlocked his slot along with his assistant and decided it was a bad thing to do because it ruined our guild.  He wanted all of us to stop and focus again on the guild. (AFTER he unlocked himself)...He quit himself not long afterwards when he saw many more jedi on the server and he didn't feel special as he couldn't parade himself in Theed+Coronet.

I must say, I enjoyed pre-CU, CU was also fun, NGE: well, it sucks......but for me the end came when SOE started to push everyone on the hologrinds. That's when it went downhill for me.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"