Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question about PvP and the FPS

sbfbeefsbfbeef Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 58

Ive been playing FPS games for years now, i am curious to know if this game is based on skill of the player or gear and levels.  I dont know a whole lot, but this is something i wanted to know.

Does having a FPS backround give you an advantage in this game vs someone that never played one.

Comments

• Recon415Recon415 Member Posts: 55

Important as good gear may be, it's rather less important than you may think. Instead of going up in level, GA spreads out in customization. Meaning, more options, less as many uberpowerful epic rare miniguns that can only be found after 20 hours of tedious work and can only be equipped at level 80.

Supposedly, a level 1 could match up relatively well against a level 70, although having the advantage of more diverse weaponry, the level 70 would have an advantage obviously, but not like 1 hit kills and .001 dmg taken per shot. Crimecraft was horrible for this, and GunZ, you couldn't play anyone outside your ten level range. This game, is based alot more on skill than many other MMOFPSs.

I have computers; they are fast.

• EkibiogamiEkibiogami Member UncommonPosts: 2,154

And not to Nitpick But its a TPS... Dont need a rageing post later after you got the game about it :)

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude; greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    —Samuel Adams

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

It's about 90% skill and 10% gear, and I'm being generous with the 10%.

• NooiTNooiT Member Posts: 93
    Originally posted by Recon415

Important as good gear may be, it's rather less important than you may think. Instead of going up in level, GA spreads out in customization. Meaning, more options, less as many uberpowerful epic rare miniguns that can only be found after 20 hours of tedious work and can only be equipped at level 80.

Supposedly, a level 1 could match up relatively well against a level 70, although having the advantage of more diverse weaponry, the level 70 would have an advantage obviously, but not like 1 hit kills and .001 dmg taken per shot. Crimecraft was horrible for this, and GunZ, you couldn't play anyone outside your ten level range. This game, is based alot more on skill than many other MMOFPSs.

I have no idea what u are talking about here.. you get new weapons/devices each odd level from lv7-29 and a skillpoint each even level 6-30, at 30 you have unlocked everything there is to unlock device/skill wise, you cannot "find" new weapons, everyone got the same stuff, armor affects nothing, its just for show. There are upgrades that you can put in your armor/weapons slots which boost stuff, common upgrade +1%, rare +2%, epic +3% (ranged protection, max health, aoe dmg, healing, etc) think there are 7-8 armor slots and another 7-8 weapon slots.

The minigun you use at lv5 is the same u use at lv50 if u want to use it, only improvement would be if u put skillpoints into improving it, being low level has never ben a problem for me but each skillpoint really helps out. lv50 is max level, max was lv100 in beta but thay changed it for release.

its a shooter game, u got a crosshair and a weapon, kinda like most shooters, i think previous fps experience will be beneficial.

• AirwrenAirwren Member UncommonPosts: 648

Aye, the game is much more about skills and understanding what your class is good at what fits your play style over anything else.  As others have mentioned you will notice as you gain more "tricks" that you can diversify what you are able to do but I still feel I am helping in the battles at lower levels.

• TheMaelstromTheMaelstrom Member UncommonPosts: 393

Skill will usually trump levels in this game, except when it comes to skill points that improve certain *aspects" of your character. For example, while your gun at level 1 is the same as the level 50 version, the level 50 may have 20% farther range, 5% more damage and 10% more HP, so if he's a good player he could kill you before you're in range.

Then again, a friend and I were just playing dual recons in PvP... we're both under level 10. There were two guys over level 30 and 1 over level 40 in our match, and we continually killed them. I even got a tell from one of them after the match accusing me of hacking. LoL. Sore loser. I wasn't hacking. Sometimes my sniping just "clicks" and I seem to wipe everyone out. Hehe.

Yep. Skill > levels for sure. Gear is just for show. 

No godless person can comprehend those minute distinctions
    in doctrine that provide true believers excuse for mayhem.
    -Glen Cook

• AshluraAshlura Member UncommonPosts: 127

I wont lie to you like the others.

1) This is not a FPS and should not be compared. Its a TPS

2) Skill means a lot, but not everything. Your spec means a ton and dont listen to people that say it doesnt. If they dont realize this yet, they dont know the game very well. You gain levels, which gives you spec points (called skill points). Think of WoW and how you have your specialization trees. Its the same for this game. You get points to place into those trees. It means a lot and at level 30 you will have everything the same as a level 50. It maxes out right now at level 30. So level to 30 and you will be on even ground. This is truth. There isnt a level 1-20 that can kill me unless they have someone else helping them. 1 vs 1 it is impossible against a good player. Luckily, this is still a team based game though, so you wont recognize the ass stomping you couldve gotten when people are helping you.

3) Most FPS players are highly dissatisfied with this game

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615
    Originally posted by Ashlura

2) Skill means a lot, but not everything. Your spec means a ton and dont listen to people that say it doesnt. If they dont realize this yet, they dont know the game very well. You gain levels, which gives you spec points (called skill points). Think of WoW and how you have your specialization trees. Its the same for this game. You get points to place into those trees. It means a lot and at level 30 you will have everything the same as a level 50. It maxes out right now at level 30. So level to 30 and you will be on even ground. This is truth. There isnt a level 1-20 that can kill me unless they have someone else helping them. 1 vs 1 it is impossible against a good player. Luckily, this is still a team based game though, so you wont recognize the ass stomping you couldve gotten when people are helping you.

Yes you will.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• AshluraAshlura Member UncommonPosts: 127

Whatever. Get bent.

Whatever. Get bent.

HAHA!

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• Sive0nSive0n Member UncommonPosts: 28

indeed this is a fair post, however i'm not 100% in agreement with your second point, yes the talents matter a lot and yes it will give the advantage to higher level but the " There isnt a level 1-20 that can kill me unless they have someone else helping them" i don't agree with unless your a tanking assault with that much extra HP and so many dmg reduction he can kill any low level, for the other classes talents wont impact as much.

As for the 3rd point goes your right, i come from a large background of both MMORPG's and FPS and kinda feel disappointed from both sides:

1) from a FPS side i expected to be able to make "clans"(named Agencies) and fight other clans for both practice and tournaments like any FPS nowadays but it's not possible in GA:

• you can't challenge another Agency to settle disputes or any other reason for that matter(except land in AvA).
    • you may try the AvA but its pointless for a 10-20 man "clan" as you cant own more then 2 Hexes(pieces of land) due to the lack of players in your Agency, if you want to play in a 100 man Agency in a Alliance with 4 other Agencies you can give it a shot just remember that even thou you're in a 500man Alliance you be playing with a 10 man mix from does 500.
    • you can't enter your own territory to practice or make tactics before your being attacked, but then again this game doesn't have that much tactic to it, you can just explain what you want "on the fly".
    • all games are 10vs10 even in larger maps(like AvA), common even in the old game there where higher numbers in much smaller maps.

2) from a RPG point of view:

• the talents trees are poorly made, talents are too generalized which leads to ppl using the same build everywhere with little room to be unique and the obvious logic of "better talents deeper in the tree" doesn't apply as in some specializations the last talent doesn't do much.
    • the PvE is horrible, you just have to run and shoot everything you see as long as your not being being reckless until you get to the boss which is just another "bot" but a bit tougher, no strategy required.
    • there's no story / lore besides the tutorial.
    • the game is 100% instanced and you have nothing to do while your not fighting, extremely tedious.
    • the only thing that is persistent in the entire game is your character everything else resets every few months, even the land that your Agency got in AvA over that time, which leads to having no sense of accomplishment.

In the end if you want a game to occasionally(and i underline the word) do some pew-pew and you really fancy GA, you'll have a nice time otherwise you'll get bored in the first week or so.

• roscorosco Member Posts: 51

1) FPS or TPS I don't see the difference. TPS lets you play melee, that's all. (btw I like it).

2) The fact that a L1-20 cannot kill you isn't because of the lack of skill point, but the experience in the game. Mastering the jetpack is a must. A plasma assault able to do a 180 airborne to shoot the recon after him can invert the odds and kill him. Nothing to do with level (except for unlocking the plasma launcher). Your level is only a way to give you more different ways to win the game, but the victory is possible at any level.

3) Don't pretend you're speaking for the most part of the FPS player base. I'm a FPS player. The game is great. It reminds me of the good time in tribes 2 and planetside. And tricking the enemy in a duel with the "melee/range/special" triangle is always a perfect moment. You become good at it with time and by being able to predict the next move of your oponent. That's what I call FPS stuff. A good old killing system, achieved by skill and by wanting the victory more than your opponent.

Originally posted by DeadlyGhost

indeed this is a fair post, however i'm not 100% in agreement with your second point, yes the talents matter a lot and yes it will give the advantage to higher level but the " There isnt a level 1-20 that can kill me unless they have someone else helping them" i don't agree with unless your a tanking assault with that much extra HP and so many dmg reduction he can kill any low level, for the other classes talents wont impact as much.

As for the 3rd point goes your right, i come from a large background of both MMORPG's and FPS and kinda feel disappointed from both sides:

1) from a FPS side i expected to be able to make "clans"(named Agencies) and fight other clans for both practice and tournaments like any FPS nowadays but it's not possible in GA:

• you can't challenge another Agency to settle disputes or any other reason for that matter(except land in AvA).
    • you may try the AvA but its pointless for a 10-20 man "clan" as you cant own more then 2 Hexes(pieces of land) due to the lack of players in your Agency, if you want to play in a 100 man Agency in a Alliance with 4 other Agencies you can give it a shot just remember that even thou you're in a 500man Alliance you be playing with a 10 man mix from does 500.
    • you can't enter your own territory to practice or make tactics before your being attacked, but then again this game doesn't have that much tactic to it, you can just explain what you want "on the fly".
    • all games are 10vs10 even in larger maps(like AvA), common even in the old game there where higher numbers in much smaller maps.

2) from a RPG point of view:

• the talents trees are poorly made, talents are too generalized which leads to ppl using the same build everywhere with little room to be unique and the obvious logic of "better talents deeper in the tree" doesn't apply as in some specializations the last talent doesn't do much.
    • the PvE is horrible, you just have to run and shoot everything you see as long as your not being being reckless until you get to the boss which is just another "bot" but a bit tougher, no strategy required.
    • there's no story / lore besides the tutorial.
    • the game is 100% instanced and you have nothing to do while your not fighting, extremely tedious.
    • the only thing that is persistent in the entire game is your character everything else resets every few months, even the land that your Agency got in AvA over that time, which leads to having no sense of accomplishment.

In the end if you want a game to occasionally(and i underline the word) do some pew-pew and you really fancy GA, you'll have a nice time otherwise you'll get bored in the first week or so.

Hay look, two posts by people who clearly have not played, or, know what they are talking about.

----------

How are you?" -Me