Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VG 2008-2010 Devs&SOE let VG die intentional

GoromhirGoromhir Member UncommonPosts: 463

(for the ones in hurry, nothing has changed in 3 years, the game is still the same, lack of players, bugs, grafic engine still broken, 3 years passed and this game hasnt changed at all)

SOE wanted this game to die and now its not far away from the graveyard.

Every year around February i activate my account to see how the game goes in hope that it has improved. So i payed the 13.95 Euro and updated the game which took almost 4 hours. I am playing on Halgar Europe.

I played 1 week on Trial Island Leveld different classes to L10.  In this week i met like 20 players online.  After leaving Trial Island i was alone in the low level areas, i met one other player yesterday, a L17 Shaman. We talked a little and that was it.

i think the Vanguard developer Team are one or two poor programmers that are completly unmotivated since years.

This is Vanguard 2010 compared to 2009 and 2008 >>

* Trial Island is the best area in this game 2010 then after L10 boredom starts because the lack of players 

* Same Grafic lag even with best computers no engine opztimizations in 3 years

* Same Memory Leaks as usual, got to restart game every 1-2 hours

* Same Bugs with Classes i expired 3 years ago are still in this game and not fixed.

* There are no new areas, its all the same than 3 years ago

* Auction House has not improved its still as simple as 3 years ago

* Solo play becomming to hard at higher Level, fights take to long

* The quest Tracker is still broken and confusing

* The SOE Launcher takes up tp 5 minutes to start Vanguard.... no direct start of VG possible anymore

* Nerfs across all classes even with less players make soloing even more frustrating

* Pets are still standing on the character when in Guard mode. Since 3 years....... ?? Fix ??

* Global cooldown still much to long, makes combat slow

* Endurance usage for Mellee is far to high. 3-4 Hits and out of endurance

* and and and and and

I could continue with this list forever.

Its clear that SOE isnt interested in Vanguard anymore, they let it die slowly. In 3 years theres almost no improvement. A single programmer from Blizzard would have done more fixing and content updates than the complete vanguard team.

2009 i was dissapointed and quit after 1 week and the same happend this year. 

So 2010 was the last time i re-activated Vanguard in hope that this game has changed to something better.

Its a shame SOE treat Vanguard like this because the basic game is great since day one. But without improvement over the years its pointless to keep paying for it.

One thing is 100% clear > Vanguard´s coffin is almost closed

(sorry for my bad english)

Comments

• FactFact Member UncommonPosts: 82

I agree with most of what you say, but I do think that the performance graphically is much improved.

I'm unwilling to put my time and effort into a game that is dying and dying it is.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Originally posted by Portland

(for the ones in hurry, nothing has changed in 3 years, the game is still the same, lack of players, bugs, grafic engine still broken, 3 years passed and this game hasnt changed at all)

That's not exactly true. I tried the game at the start and over the past few months hold a subscription. The game is FAR better than when it first launched.

There are still issues but to say it hasn't changed at all in the past 3 years is just not true.

Is Sony letting it die? yes. But I can actually play the game with few bugs over "not" being able to play the game when it launched.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • InteritusInteritus Member UncommonPosts: 236

Really because I seem to remember Sigil going broke and selling SOE the game. If SOE hadn't bought the game their wouldn't even be a Vanguard to play. And seeing as they bought it it makes no sense they would let it die. But they had only planned to publish the game. Upkeeping development is a whole other thing. They likely couldn't move enough resources away from other games that SOE actually fully developed.

The fact that they likely only had a handful of ex-Sigil employee's likely only made matters worse.  Despite this the game has grown from leaps and bounds from what it originally was.

• morpinmorpin Member Posts: 360

* Trial Island is the best area in this game 2010 then after L10 boredom starts because the lack of players

Join a guild and you won't have a problem.

False .  I have no problem running on my laptop.

It sounds like you have a crappy computer.

* Same Bugs with Classes i expired 3 years ago are still in this game and not fixed.

Can you be a bit more explicit.  I dont know of any specfic class bugs.

Totally false. 

Things are either to complicated for you or too simple.

Depends upon what your trying to fight.

Confusing?  I am confused.

* The SOE Launcher takes up tp 5 minutes to start Vanguard.... no direct start of VG possible anymore

False - I still lanuch with out SOE launcher.

* Nerfs across all classes even with less players make soloing even more frustrating

I dont think they have made any class changes in about 6 months.

* Pets are still standing on the character when in Guard mode. Since 3 years....... ?? Fix ??

Yup in guard mode.  So what.

To long for you.  It seems all you complaints are so subjective.

Again.  Subjective

* and and and and and

and and and more whining

• kaedexkaedex Member Posts: 23

the only good memory I have from Vanguard is the music..

• RaiveeRaivee Member Posts: 48

While some of the claims made by the OP are off by a good bit. The state is still true at the bottomline that VG is a dying trend. It seems like yesterday when I first formed my guild 4 years ago. VG just seems like old news even though it came out in 2007. That's what still gets me is even still to this day VG still hasn't gotten one shot at some light, just one. And most would agree all it would have taken was one.

Define the business risk for vg and I'll define success for you.

• SelenicaSelenica Member Posts: 183

When I played VG from beta until 2-3 months after launch I got the impression that SOE really wanted players to leave VG and hop on over to Everquest 2. During the Sigil/SOE debacle they even sent out an email basically saying "While we sort out this Vanguard shit, come on over and play EQ2" and I think there was a lengthy trial attached.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

SOE bought the game to add to it's station MMO bundle.I don't believe they bough it to develop it further or try market it beyond being part of the bundle.They are investing their capital and personnel toward future products and supporting their Everquest franchise.As a previous poster has said,if SOE hadn't bought VG it probably would exist today.Sony will keep it running and stable till it's no longer profitable to do so but they aren't gonna throw money into it.This is their prerogative as the owners I'm afraid.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

op?the problem with that soe team they stopped evolving!its not vangard its not eq2 its soe

exemple number 1:soe tried a simple exercice at eq2 sof release date,they tried to stream the game ,almost every gamer can stream game in high definition but soe couldnt stream the game see the dilema here

second exemple:in evercrack one pr was trying to speak to the interviewer and his computer bugged!

i mean come on the person responsible for computer ,OS,network etc  arent good at all ,i mean i can build my own computer more reliable then soe server .

they need outside help(i suggest intel help!)and from then on soe have been having countless issue because of their lack of knowledge about todays computer technology.

they have to make some call for help first would be microsoft since they are at the top of the latter!

right now soe is being laughed at because of their gear or various software lacking or very badly tweaked!

• GoromhirGoromhir Member UncommonPosts: 463
    Originally posted by morpin

Join a guild and you won't have a problem.
    False .  I have no problem running on my laptop.
    It sounds like you have a crappy computer.
    Can you be a bit more explicit.  I dont know of any specfic class bugs.
    Totally false. 
    Things are either to complicated for you or too simple.
    Depends upon what your trying to fight.
    Confusing?  I am confused.
    False - I still lanuch with out SOE launcher.
    I dont think they have made any class changes in about 6 months.
    Yup in guard mode.  So what.
    To long for you.  It seems all you complaints are so subjective.
    Again.  Subjective
    * and and and and and

and and and more whining

i am not whining, these are pure facts. Whining sounds like "buhhuuhhh, muaaaaahaaa"... do you see something like that in my posting ?

in addition i dont care about Vanguard, i care about my lost 15 Euro.

l its a pain to see how SOE lets VG die.... but, no whining at all. there are enough other games

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

What turned me down most and still is preventing me from comming back is the cluncky character annimations...

Sad thing they let this game die.... It has more potential  then any other game released after WoW....

-Some very fun classes

-Diplomacy

-Best crafting engine ever developed

-Most open game world ever developed

But its not as easy as just blaming SOE...  I blame EA, they quit development when the budget reached 35 miljon dollars and now they are pumping 650 Miljon dollar intoo Starwars TOR... 

THey never got a chance to finish this game and it was released in a pre beta state. Blame EA... not SOE for once.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• morpinmorpin Member Posts: 360

I dont think EA had anything to do with Vanguard.   Sigil was the comapny that originally developed the game and Microsoft was the original invenstor.  I dont remember EA fitting into the equation.

I dont think EA had anything to do with Vanguard.   Sigil was the comapny that originally developed the game and Microsoft was the original invenstor.  I dont remember EA fitting into the equation.

Sigil was developing it but EA was producing it.... Until the funding by EA stopped and Sigil got to get their production rights back, afterwards they made the deal with SOE for new funding. This was all pre open beta during closed beta.

Way later after release SoE took finally over and bought Sigil for a few pennies and was in controll

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• monarc333monarc333 Member UncommonPosts: 622

I love Vanguard, always have. All those bug issues are pretty much finished in my eyes. The real problem is lack of support and lack of players. I desperatly want to play in the game, explore places I havent seen but I feel that devoting my time to this game will go to waste. Its an unfortunate conundrum the game is in right now. Great game but no support. I feel horrible for the people who have devoted years to this game...

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945
    Originally posted by drbaltazar

exemple number 1:soe tried a simple exercice at eq2 sof release date,they tried to stream the game ,almost every gamer can stream game in high definition but soe couldnt stream the game see the dilema here

Are you trying to say that the graphics for vanguard are streamed to the players computers from soe servers?

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Sigil was developing it but EA was producing it.... Until the funding by EA stopped and Sigil got to get their production rights back, afterwards they made the deal with SOE for new funding. This was all pre open beta during closed beta.

Way later after release SoE took finally over and bought Sigil for a few pennies and was in controll

Dang...

And it wasn't EA funding the project, i was wrong , it was Microsoft that originally produced it

• boojiboyboojiboy Member UncommonPosts: 1,553

The entire concept that SoE let VG die is laughable.  SoE choose EQ2 as the horse they would ride and never invested in VG.  SoE looks at VG as an 'adjacent market' that supplements EQ1 and EQ2.  Until such time that EQ1 and EQ2 cease to be 'cash cows' everything will remain the same.

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

What turned me down most and still is preventing me from comming back is the cluncky character annimations...

Sad thing they let this game die.... It has more potential  then any other game released after WoW....
    -Some very fun classes
    -Diplomacy

But its not as easy as just blaming SOE...  I blame EA, they quit development when the budget reached 35 miljon dollars and now they are pumping 650 Miljon dollar intoo Starwars TOR... 
    THey never got a chance to finish this game and it was released in a pre beta state. Blame EA... not SOE for once.

The part about the clunky character animations is one I've posted before, it's the main reason it is so hard to get into SOE games I think they have the worse graphics of any mmo dev I've ever seen, very lackluster for all of there games in my opinion and it doesn't help that other than that everything else about there games tends to suck too.

It's a damn shame when a company is in such an advantagous position to be an industry leader but because Smed married a relative of the boss we are stuck with the low quality crap that SOE is always hoisting upon the industry.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

-Some very fun classes
    -Diplomacy

WTH? wow EA is to blame for something in a game they had absolutely nothing to do with?  Ok I'm going to assume you are just talking out of your ass and that's why you said blame EA (maybe you were trying to make a joke since that's all anyone does is blame EA) but Vanguard was made by Sigil which was originally getting it's funding from Microsoft (not EA) when Bill realized what a tool smedley was they stopped giving them money and then SOE actually saved the game by publishing it (the buyout gave Smed enough money to get the game finished.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• VaedurVaedur Member Posts: 430

Guy.. you mean brad.. smedly had nothing to do with sigil.. lol   You are "talking out your arse.. " as you say in your above poster.. smedly had NOTHING to do with Sigil..  Smed is the man for soe.. stop trying to repeat a story you don't understand.  

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

I've left the game half a year ago, but I definitely didnt needed to restart the game back then every 1-2 hours; instead I could play for 8 hours or more straight with hardly a crash or needed restart. Memory leaks where also definitely fixed. The only part of the game where restarts where a good idea was raids.

Graphics performance had improved massively. Only parts of the game where graphics was still laggy was inside towns (also much better than before, but still) and during raids. Otherwise I could run maximum quality if I wanted to.

Theres a lot of additional content since release, though mostly on highlevel.

The lack of players though is deadly. The game isnt intended to be played solo. Best way to handle this is probably to join a guild.

The lack of devs is also deadly. Highlevel got a lot of better content, but then it stopped. Really feels like theres only a douzen or so devs left.

I got no freaking idea what you're talking about with the cooldown. It is not "slow", its 2 secs. Thats quite good, gives enough room to compensate for bad ping.

• QuasimojoQuasimojo Member UncommonPosts: 33

Originally posted by monarc333

I love Vanguard, always have. All those bug issues are pretty much finished in my eyes. The real problem is lack of support and lack of players. I desperatly want to play in the game, explore places I havent seen but I feel that devoting my time to this game will go to waste. Its an unfortunate conundrum the game is in right now. Great game but no support. I feel horrible for the people who have devoted years to this game...

This is another view I just don't understand. A waste of what? Computer gaming time? Playing computer games in itself is a waste. What does it matter which one you play and for how long?

(In the interest of full disclosure, I must admit that I'm probably in the top 80th percentile when it comes to wasting time with computer games. ;) )

• I don't see the point of this topic at all, while you may have touched upon a few issues, you are exaggerating so much that your points kinda goes invalid. 

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509

Did SOE let VG die? Not intentionally, but I believe they never wanted it to be a serious contender to EQ2 therefore minimal resources were provided to ensure it lasted long enough to recover their investment in it w/o drawing subs from EQ2

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Kungaloosh1Kungaloosh1 Member Posts: 260

The game would certainly receive a lot more subs if they would tone down the rampant "group required" aspect of it. Brad and his vision are dinosaurs.

Most people don't care for group required anymore.

Bottom line.