Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this game any good?

Hi there.

I've currently been playing WoW for around ~3.5 years, and it is quickly becoming stale and boring and decided to stop playing. However, I'm looking for a game to fill the void between now, and SW:ToR - and I stumbled upon LotRO. I just had a few questions about the game:

1) Is it good?

2) How is the endgame? Raids+PvP wise.

3) Is the lifetime sub worth it?

4) I live in Australia and was wondering if there are any Oceanic servers, even if they're un-official.

Thanks in advance. 

Comments

• AgentAnarkiiAgentAnarkii Member UncommonPosts: 173

1) Is it good?

Yes, it's a great game. 

2) How is the endgame? Raids+PvP wise.

From what i've heard the Raids are really fun, PvP depends what server you're on.

3) Is the lifetime sub worth it?

Yes, i wish i had the money to buy a lifetime.

4) I live in Australia and was wondering if there are any Oceanic servers, even if they're un-official.

There are NA servers and EU servers, i dont know about any un- official servers though. 

Anymore questions? :p

• Rifle123Rifle123 Member UncommonPosts: 38

This is a very well done, polished and quality game.  It's not as intense as other MMO's but has a more relaxed feel.

I haven't reached the end-game yet so can't comment on that.  The game is very PVE centric but it does have PVMP that people do take part in. 

Elendilmir is in unofficial Oceanic server.

• Torek123Torek123 Member Posts: 3

Thanks for the replys - looks like I'll have to look into getting it.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180

Elendilmir has some Oceanic kinships (guilds)

PvP is monster play. After level 10 you can create a baddie and fight other players toons. These are high level battles thousgh (your monster starts high level) so you can't fight as your toon til later.

LoTRO is currently my main MMO. It has a good community and the story is fun. The combat is good, not great, the scenery is amazing even if character animations/models are a bit off.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• AzurealAzureal Member UncommonPosts: 235
    Originally posted by Rifle123

This is a very well done, polished and quality game.  It's not as intense as other MMO's but has a more relaxed feel.
    I haven't reached the end-game yet so can't comment on that.  The game is very PVE centric but it does have PVMP that people do take part in. 

Elendilmir is in unofficial Oceanic server.

I recently DL'd and installed the trial for my wife and myself (second time round for me), we played our 10 days and bought the $9.95 upgrade. We're both having a great time with the game. Theres a few wierd features that make me roll my eyes but iverall its good stuff.

What made me quote your post though, was that without even thinking I had started us both on Elendilmir without checking if there was an Oceanic presence on the server, after reading your post I breathed a great sigh of relief.

PAST: UO-SWG-DAOC-WOW-DDO-VG-AOC-WAR-FE-DFO-LOTRO-RIFT-GW2
    PRESENT: Nothing
    FUTURE: ESO

• CitiusCitius Member Posts: 69

I found it lacking.  Outside of the lore it is a typical fantasy MMO, which after WoW, was not what I was looking for.  

The pvp is very lackluster but the pve is decent.  

Played: World of Warcraft (5Y), WarHammer (3M), Anarchy Online, Runescape (5+Y), Lord of the Rings Online, Runes of Magic, City of Heroes/Villains, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Fallen Earth (1M)

Currently Playing: Guild Wars
    Currently Trying: None
    Taking a Break From: EVE Online

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180
    Originally posted by Citius

I found it lacking.  Outside of the lore it is a typical fantasy MMO, which after WoW, was not what I was looking for.  

The pvp is very lackluster but the pve is decent.  

True statement.

The draw for me is the story and the RP elements. I'm not really a RPer but I'm a fan of all the fun emotes, costumes, etc.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• scorseyscorsey Member Posts: 2

This mmo has the best graphics of any mmo on the market today if you have the equipment to use it.  The scenery is just amazing, and really gives a feel of being in middle earth. I cannot wait until they have the whole map up and have high hopes that they will eventually put in the forces of mordor into the game as playable races.

I beta tested this game and bought the lifetime sub and have enjoyed it off and on since release. The group at Turbine has done a fabulous job from the get go with this one, The game was very polished at release and they are very quick on squashing bugs.  I will probably always play this game off and on as i love the genre, taking a break at the moment and am playing darkfall right now, but i know ill come back and play this game more, one of the reasons i bought the lifetime is so i could try out new games that come out and not have to worry about coming back. i have gotten more than my 199 dollar subscription fee worth, plus i have the added perks they give for being a lifetime sub and they gave certain perks to founders.

The one area i would say is lacking is the crafting, it is too easy to craft stuff so the markets are heavily saturated with items. The main reason for this is everyone who plays for any period of time has 6 toons and can make anything they need for themselves, and sell what they can on the market. if you plan on spending anytime crafting be ready for it to be a coin sink until about level 30-40 by then you will have enough critical ingredients saved up to start crafting the real good lower level stuff to sell to the newer people coming on, it also helps to kick ass equip any alts you may be planning. My last couple of alts started the game pretty much fully equipped with critical items making it much faster and easier to level them. 

Game play wise this game is similar to WoW and EQ2 , but i feel that the graphics and the overall experience of feeling like you are in middle earth trump those 2 games. many people may disagree with me here, but if you really liked  the movies then this game will be loads of fun for you as the excitement of the movies is there, if differently played out, but there all the same.

There are a lot of areas to explore in this game and you will need at least 3 toons to explore it all early enough so the mobs are not all grey (no exp). I have not had the chance as of yet to go on any any of the huge raids except in monster play, but all the full fellowship and the 3 man instances i have done were all exciting. The story in this game is very good and the epic chapter quests are what makes this game good, and a lot of them last for a good 3 hours or more. this game also has a good replay value as you may want to do these chapter quests more than once, as some groups you get with like to burn through them as fast as they can and you don't really get the time to ponder too much the first time through them. A lot of the quests in moria you are obliged to do them more than once anyway to get some of the uber gear drops.

The legendary weapons/equipment is also a very interesting part of the game. about level 40-50, you can get a legendary weapon that gains experience and gets more powerful as it gains experience. These items have slots to customize your weapon with jewels and runes and such so you can conrtol the buffs that are provided by them, and there are a wider range of buffs as your weapon/item gains more levels. It is an interesting spin that makes this game a bit unique compared to the other wow like mmos.

This game also has festivals for every season of the year and there is a lot of opportunity to socialize if that is your sort of thing.  A lot of contests in these festivals where the prizes will get you fancy clothes, capes, items to decorate your house with, a different type of mount, all sorts of things to keep you busy. one of the contests is you have to run around to all the inns in the shire and chug a beer at every stop so by the time you get to the last 3-4 stops you are drunk and it kinda feels like it as well with the way the game acts when you are.

Anyhow, hoped to have helped you decide whether you want to give this one a go. good luck.

• Torek123Torek123 Member Posts: 3

Thanks for your replys guys, I think I'll get it, looks very interesting and different.