Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So where is the skill?

2»

Comments

• OrphesOrphes Member UncommonPosts: 3,039
    Originally posted by Shastra

Originally posted by Toquio3

Originally posted by Toquio3

I am sorry but who told you that MMORPGS need player skill? all games are the same. the more buttons you mash or less the faster you do it the better. That's the only skill you need.

This just shows you know nothing about EVE.

Yes because in  EVE everything works on voice command. You never to touch any buttons on your keyboard.

Success in EVE is not decided by who mashes buttons the fastest. If you think that then, great. Good for you.

I am talking about MMORPGS in general. its all about quick reflexes. yes you can have a better load out at your ship but does it matter if you can't point and shoot fast enough?

How do I do this "point and shoot" in EVE?

For me being skilled playing eve is knowledge and experience of the game -mechanics.

It could be alot of hting (simple things even) having precense enough to notice that you no longer is being pointed or have a tactical insight that tells you to not reveal your whole fleet (stealth bomber etc) for a target you will manage with the force already precent. It could be an easy thing as to bump an aligned WT with an alt so the rest of the fleet can jump through and attack.

You could meet this person that is really good with running a fleet and knows how and can tell people what to do in an unexpected situation.

I'm so broke. I can't even pay attention.
    "You have the right not to be killed"

Originally posted by //\//\oo

Originally posted by trewin

Originally posted by trewin

You have to define exactly what you consider skills,   otherwise the question cannot be answered intelligently.

skill

1   /sk?l/ Show Spelled[skil] Show IPA

–noun

the ability, coming from one's knowledge, practice, aptitude, etc., to do something well: Carpentry was one of his many skills.

competent excellence in performance; expertness; dexterity: The dancers performed with skill.

a craft, trade, or job requiring manual dexterity or special training in which a person has competence and experience: the skill of cabinetmaking.

Obsolete. understanding

The following are some skills that are used in EVE, Political skills, Marketing skills,  Scamming, Long term Spying and internal disruption.

Tactical planning and execution, Strategic planning and execution,   Lying, stealing etc its a pretty much and anything goes game.

As far as the direct combat goes it is not a twitch game so no extreme hand and eye coordination is needed.

Thanks.

Thanks?

You already knew this, as you said in the OP.

• //\//\oo//\//\oo Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,767
    Originally posted by Orphes

Thanks?

Well thanks for the confirmation then.

This is a sequence of characters intended to produce some profound mental effect, but it has failed.

• KshahdooKshahdoo Member Posts: 553

Yeah, pvp in EVE takes no skill. It's just keyboard smashing. But some people smash keys better than others...

http://kb.sotzone.ru/?a=kill_related&btl_id=223

http://kb.sotzone.ru/?a=kill_related&btl_id=224

http://kb.sotzone.ru/?a=kill_related&btl_id=227

• sadeyxsadeyx Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

OK, look..... 

_IF_ you have a very good fleet commander and you basically do everything he tells you to do.. then no, there is not much skill required to do that.   The only skill is to pay attention.

This way a player can _conceivably_ take part in pvp battles, and win, after only playing the game for 2 weeks.  (i've personally got a friend PvPing within 7 days)  -  The player has little knowledge, little skill but can pvp and can win.

However, if that player wanted to form his own fleet, or roam around lowsec/null sec on his own, or tried to do any kind of pvp there is a good chance that he will fail! And possible wont have the understanding or the skill required to hold his own for a good several months of gameplay.

Personally been playing Eve for about 3 years.. and I'd have to say that while I know eve very well, I'm useless at pvp :( I need a good team with me and I have to concentrate a lot because its so easy to lose track of the enemy fleet, their ship types, their speeds, never mind the ships my fleet are flying.

When your roaming 15-20 solar systems in a fleet of 30 split into squads fighting against several other fleets, seriously it takes a lot of skill to keep track of everything so that you can put you and your fleet in an advantageous position.

Originally posted by Orphes

Thanks?

Well thanks for the confirmation then.

You should thank Kyleran and Saydex and others that have mention what kind of skill this game 'requires'. But you don't.

So once you've learned everything there is to learn: Where is the skill?

A wellrenomed carpenter doesn't have any skill then as he already knows how to do what he does.

I've played other games like AO and Fallen Earth where there was a lot to learn, yet little skill required once you actually knew the mechanics of the game.

Skill is the complexity of actually implementing the knowledge you've acquired of the game; you could have a scenario entirely planned out, but still fail at executing it properly if it required a lot of skill.

I play guitar and those songs that I have learnt is quite easy for me, hence playing guitar needs no skill.

Oh, no, some songs requires more skill than others, hence playing guitar requires skills.

No matter if your skilled, it will always turn up situations (chord progression/rythm) that you just can't handle.

And as the coordination/reflexes/whatever -skill needed in this game is not more than regular, why not accept what people saying about what 'skills' is needed  instead of rationalising it.

• StormscionStormscion Member Posts: 27

I'm tempted to try EVE, but having watched the PvP boredom on Xfire it seems like it's nothing more than clicking a skill and waiting for something to happen.
    According to the creators of the game, there is a lot of skill involved: Player skill is supposed to determine the outcome more than gear is, yet I've not been able to see it in the videos I've seen.
    So, EVE community, please answer me this: Where exactly is the skill in this game to be found and what does being a good PvPer entail in terms of skill?

Where is the skill in chess ? As far as i remember it is competitive game ... so is poker... 

Fast paced FPS / RTS style skill is not only skill that exsist there are many types of skill ... some are how fast and precise you can move your hands and execute commands ... eve is more tactical and more strategic ... you need to know a lot of stuff and to make crucial decisions but in tactical and strategic matter. Dont get me wrong i like to play counterstrike and i like to play starcraft online vs other people , but i like eve as well ... they all require deferent set of skills to be successful , some games require only to be fast , some to be precise , some to be tactical and all knowing manipulating with information , some take a bit of all of that etc etc ... 

What really is sad is that most of today online MMO population thinks that only benchmark for skill is how fast you click etc and there is not other skill what so ever -.- ... pretty much epic fail ... what about games like chess them ? Or games like EVE ! 

I play EVE for over 1 year now ... i did play wow for 4 years ( thank you wow for brining me into MMO world ) been there for pvp , and i have to say pvp in eve is so much more better and complex and at least CCP is not pissing in your eyes every expansion with gear restarts amd complete class changes and all that crap :P

Mortal in body
    Eternal In Will

• cathal12cathal12 Member Posts: 8

Man, what have you been smoking? The skills they are referring to are the skill sets you train in ie. Missiles, gunnery, engineering, drones,

ect.

Calmacart

There are no innocents

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    Originally posted by cathal12

Man, what have you been smoking? The skills they are referring to are the skill sets you train in ie. Missiles, gunnery, engineering, drones,
    ect.

Calmacart
    There are no innocents

wait what? No they weren't

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• sonoggisonoggi Member Posts: 1,119

eve is a turn-based thinking game. once the battle starts, you cant dodge, cant take cover, cant aim better to do more damage, etc. instead, you "think" about the loadout and ship type that may be the most effective for the occasion, and you load it up, praying that you wont be hard-countered by something unforeseeable. all the "skill" comes when youre thinking when or if to engage, and with what, prior to battle.

immersion, content and freedom are the selling points of this game. not the ships and the actual gameplay, imho.

• throckmortonthrockmorton Member Posts: 314

Watch some of Garmon's or Prozacs videos.

I have the SP to do what they do, but not the skill. (Nor can 99.9% of the Eve community).

Originally posted by sonoggi

eve is a turn-based thinking game. once the battle starts, you cant dodge, cant take cover, cant aim better to do more damage, etc. instead, you "think" about the loadout and ship type that may be the most effective for the occasion, and you load it up, praying that you wont be hard-countered by something unforeseeable. all the "skill" comes when youre thinking when or if to engage, and with what, prior to battle.
    immersion, content and freedom are the selling points of this game. not the ships and the actual gameplay, imho.

I guess you never played with hacs gangs ... small gangs ... actually you have to dodge keep at distance orbit or come close to bump , control your range and your speed etc ... 

Mortal in body
    Eternal In Will

• qazymanqazyman Member Posts: 1,785
    Originally posted by throckmorton

Watch some of Garmon's or Prozacs videos.
    I have the SP to do what they do, but not the skill. (Nor can 99.9% of the Eve community).

There are those that use guerrilla style tactics with faction ships and equipment, and the game play they use is advance and intense. Certainly not what you associate with how EVE combat is described. You see this to some degree with some Merc Corps too, at least the tactics anyway. Still, I think this is very advanced game play and not typical of most PVP for the majority of players. I think it takes allot of effort to reach this level, but it is very possible if you can invest the time and make the right friends.

EDIT: "I have the SP to do what they do, but not the skill." Just pointing out how much I resemble this remark  : D

Originally posted by sonoggi

You certainly can "dodge, take cover and aim better". Shit, how do you think 3k EHP interceptors survive?

• LaterisLateris Member UncommonPosts: 1,831

Decisions and the consequences that comes from them. 

• viparesvipares Member Posts: 15

When used in EVE terminology term "Skill" means "knowledge"... Knowledge of game mechanics, enemy ships, your ships, fitting equipment, solar systems and their inhabitants (corps),  knowing friends and enemies, etc.

So it is actually possible that someone who play for three months takes best possible T3 cruiser, go to low or zero security space, and looses it without killing anyone.

"Skilled" player will however kill dozens of enemy players before he looses his standard fitted T1 battleruiser.

This is my explanation.

• Deadm0ney4uDeadm0ney4u Member Posts: 127

A lot of people say that Eve is a hardcore game and it takes skill to play. That is complete BS most of your in game skill is earned while you are logged out. Wow takes more skill to play well then Eve. I would bet that if you compared the top 1 % of players from wow they would be better all around gamers than the top 1% of Eve players.

• quixadhalquixadhal Member UncommonPosts: 215

Skill, in EVE, is how quick you are to respond to an unforseen encounter, how good you are at catching others unprepared, and how well you understand the game mechanics.  Unlike most MMO's, it doesn't require lightning reflexes, macros, or any other typical arcade-game skills.

You have to be able to analyze the situation and make the right tactical decisions to win.  If you don't have the optimal weapons, shields, fittings for a given encounter, your brain is what will save you.

Don't be fooled into thinking the in-game skills are what's important.  A noob could buy a character with 40 million skill points and die like a dog as soon as they launched their expensive battleship out of the station.  A good player who understands the game can kill people in cheap frigates or cruisers and bring them to tears as they realize a ship that cost 20 milliion ISK just blew away their 1 billion ISK battleship.

Mostly, though, it's about how you play with others.  It's very hard to accomplish anything solo.  If you expect a leveling game like WoW, you'll be disappointed and bored.

Originally posted by Deadm0ney4u

A lot of people say that Eve is a hardcore game and it takes skill to play. That is complete BS most of your in game skill is earned while you are logged out. Wow takes more skill to play well then Eve. I would bet that if you compared the top 1 % of players from wow they would be better all around gamers than the top 1% of Eve players.

I used to be r14 and later gladiator in s2 and s3 and s4 in wow for instance did play with mage warlock and paladin only for top pvp arena and in pvp guilds in vanila wowl where there was need for pvp guilds -.- damn blizard ... 

Quited wow for eve because it has better and more skill ( as skill not skill points ) intensive pvp ... ok ? When i was 3 months old in eve i was killing guys in eve that played for 5 years or so in like 100 mil ships  ... it would be very difficult to do that if i didnt have help from friends who told me basic tricks and how to think = i did get better couse i learned and i did practice hard = many lost t1 frigates etc... game is so hard and complex to learn when you first get into it and it is hard to get away from lose mentality ( argh i will losse my ship i am pussy i have only 3mil skill points etc ) but once you get over it ... how many skill points you have matters less then 1% of any fight only if you are smart pilot only thing that will matter is how fast you can kill and gtfo before blob arrive ... because you will not engage enemy that has superior ship then you ( batttleship with battlecruiser for instance ) but you will pick you fights because you have knowlage what you can do with you ship and you fittings and then implement that knowledge to kill enemy in certan way with hacs you will stay on range and move fast and isolate targets and pick them with battleships you will try to get as close as posible etc 

And btw blob warfare with battleships killing poses etc ... i did try that had 700+ people fight once , and i have to say it is as stupid as wows battlegrounds + lag and to be honest that is worst part of eve pvp where you are just cannon fodder truly not doing anything just producting more lag and soaking some damage etc ... only fun pvp where eve shines is 2-40 maybe 50 people fights ... those fights are really coooool expecially when you obliterate enemy 

All in all PvP in EvE rocks and i like it.

Mortal in body
    Eternal In Will

So I could just get out and do some RMT, buy a toplevel character. Let's say I would do that in WoW. Would that make me s "skilled" wowplayer?

You already know what kind of "skills" is discussed here.

Ya, right, skills training while offline has nothing to do with how well I know how to play the game.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507

Skill at what I'd have to ask.  Twitch combat skills maybe, you certainly have to jump around a lot more in WOW.  And I'll grant the upper level raids are a real challenge especially to those who first conquer them, but in the end its just learning the right dance moves and hoping for a little luck to pull it off most times.

EVE takes different sorts of skills, from the combat (which is actually quite challenging and deep) to the running of an empire which some folks do and control many billions of ISK worth of shared assets, and help dictate the fate of hundreds, if not thousands of players. 

EVE requires so much more talent in planning, logistics, espionage and financial management to be successful than WOW or most other games.

WOW is a game, and a good one.  EVE is a virtual universe simulation and it takes great skill to be in the top 1% of the games players, be it PVP, running corps and alliances, mining, market trading or building the best gear in the game.

I know one thing's for sure, I'm no where near the top in EVE, but I'm glad there are people who are because they really help make my time in EVE much more fun. (even when they kill  me)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by Kyleran

I know one thing's for sure, I'm no where near the top in EVE, but I'm glad there are people who are because they really help make my time in EVE much more fun. (even when they kill  me)

This. I'm just competent enough - and no more - to realise exactly how skilled players like Garmon, DHB Wildcat & so forth are. I have a couple of friends in game who are almost as skilled at 1v1 or 1v 2,3 or even 4... but just not so e-famous for it.

But I do OK, actually, because I have other skills than skirmish fighting, which do actually count in EVE.

• HYPERI0NHYPERI0N Member Posts: 3,515

I think these kind of topics are largely pointless as usually the OP doesant want to know the answer because he has already formed an opinion himself and he might just be trying to provoke. But i shall bite by listing what i consider as actuall skills in EvE Online and not just button mashing......

Organising a good empire mining op requires the organiser to have the skills needed to get everyone together to mine for a couple of hours. Also he needs the knoledge to correctly assign the right number of people to mine while also getting the right number of people to act as 'muscle' as well as the right number of hauler pilots to haul the ore and keep the ore cannesters fresh to reduce the risk from canester stealers.

You need the knoledge and skill to read the galaxy map as you can determine where gatecamps can be found and whether they might be active [especially usefull if you are organising a Ninja mining op in Alliance space].

You need the skill to find and properly exploit the trading routes in EvE.

As a scout for a fleet moving in hostile space you need the skill and knowhow to both do your job and find any problems before the fleet does as well as survive the discovery.

You need the skill and knowhow in order to Fight in PvP, for example did you know that the guns in EvE rotate and track farely realistically so it is quite possable to miss your target if he knows how to macromanage his ships movement?

A lot of EvE's skills involve using the tools the game has given you and thinking 'outside the box' such as the one where you are a scout searching for gatecamps, you are using the tools such as the map the ship the modules and there strengths and weaknesses and the way the physics work, and you are 'thinking outside the box' by finding ways to bring essential info to your fleet as well as surviving jumping into a system you suspected of having a gatecamp and finding your ship surrounded by a gatecamp.

Another great example of Moore's Law. Give people access to that much space (developers and users alike) and they'll find uses for it that you can never imagine. "640K ought to be enough for anybody" - Bill Gates 1981