Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A bit too harsh I think, Lotro is a fun mmo

ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Last year when I resubbed I found the game to be so dull and boring. Maybe because I did not enjoy the guilds I was in and since everyone was so high level I really could not get to enjoy all that low level group content. Now that Turbine has basically made Books 1 and 2 soloable I'm able to catch up a litter faster to where it isn't so much of a struggle to get where the others are. The other day I did a 3 month sub to the game and I'm really enjoying the game alot. I play on the Brandywine server and it seems to be very populated with players. Now I just need to find a good mature guild to join. You did good Turbine, keep up the good work!

Comments

• donjndonjn Member UncommonPosts: 816

Yeah I often play LOTRO then leave, then come back, etc.

This time I am back and completely READ the quests. So LOTRO has essentially become a book to me. Not kill x of these monsters. I am enjoying my time back much more now.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by donjn

Yeah I often play LOTRO then leave, then come back, etc.
    This time I am back and completely READ the quests. So LOTRO has essentially become a book to me. Not kill x of these monsters. I am enjoying my time back much more now.

I really think that is the key to this game.

One has to read the quests.

Because if one pays attention there is far more going on under the story hood then just "go kill x amount of y".

For instance, and I don't know if this is impressive to anyone but me, there is a quest in the forgotten inn where you are asked to kill some crebain for their feathers.

Essentially the pillows need stuffing and there isn't much to use.  However the caretaker or inn keeper (or whatever she is) indicates that she's noticed these crebain around and that their feathers would probably be perfect.

so you go out, get some, bring them back and what does she comment? "Oh my I didnt realize they would have such an awful smell".

Well, if this was a book that would be a gentle bit of foreshadowing as these people just think they are some black birds that have appeared and don't yet know of what is going on and where these birds actually come from or their primary function.

The idea that they could have such a smell startles her. However, she decides that they need the feathers so the "smell will have to become a part of the various smells that waft around the forgotten Inn".

If only she knew it was the smell of evil.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

I thought Lotro was decent.

Honestly it would have been hard for the guys at Turbine to deliver a game that lived up to such a wonderful IP.

While I believe they fell way short of that.  The game is enjoyable for me from time to time.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• Frostbite05Frostbite05 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,880

The reason i like LOTRO is because you actually feel like your in Middle Earth. Some will argue otherwise but those who do most, not every time, say this thinking of the middle earth portrayed in the movies which was pretty different from the books version.

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462
    Originally posted by Rockgod99

Honestly it would have been hard for the guys at Turbine to deliver a game that lived up to such a wonderful IP.
    While I believe they fell way short of that.  The game is enjoyable for me from time to time.

Please don't tell me you're one of those Middle Earth Online mourners. Of course, this site would be populated by them. I think Turbine did an excellent job with the IP, even if the game isn't a sandbox (cry cry cry). As previously mentioned, do yourself a favor and read the quest text. It's well-written, more so than other MMOs. Doing little things like that will help you get immersed, which will (probably) help you have more fun.

I'm pretty much in the same spot as the OP, too, though I did find a mature Kinship on Brandywine (Runic Knights).

Edit: It seems that in Volume III, Book 1, all of the epic quests in the Shadows of Angmar storyline (Books 1 through 9 I think?) will be soloable, though easier with a group. I hope they do it right (balancing solo capability while still encouraging grouping).

Originally posted by Comnitus

Please don't tell me you're one of those Middle Earth Online mourners. Of course, this site would be populated by them. I think Turbine did an excellent job with the IP, even if the game isn't a sandbox (cry cry cry). As previously mentioned, do yourself a favor and read the quest text. It's well-written, more so than other MMOs. Doing little things like that will help you get immersed, which will (probably) help you have more fun.

I'm pretty much in the same spot as the OP, too, though I did find a mature Kinship on Brandywine (Runic Knights).

Middle earth online? sandbox?

Nahh just a big fan of the books/movies and expected more from a game using its IP.

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

Nahh just a big fan of the books/movies and expected more from a game using its IP.

That's cool. Apparently, a sandbox called Middle Earth Online was in development, but was shut down. Turbine picked up the IP and made another "horrid" themepark MMO, so there are some who keep insisting that "LotRO wouldn't suck if it was still MEO!" Yeah, right.

That's cool. Apparently, a sandbox called Middle Earth Online was in development, but was shut down. Turbine picked up the IP and made another "horrid" themepark MMO, so there are some who keep insisting that "LotRO wouldn't suck if it was still MEO!" Yeah, right.

Nahh it works well as a more linear experience.

Honestly im such a hardcore lotr fan that the game would of needed to be perfect for me to be happy...maybe lol.

Nahh it works well as a more linear experience.

Honestly im such a hardcore lotr fan that the game would of needed to be perfect for me to be happy...maybe lol.

I have to admit some large criticisms of the game but in the end it is my favorite pve mmo.

And maybe that's it, for those who are HUGE fans of the books/movies, each person has what they would prefer the game to be. I suppose in the end it just needs to be what it is and we as players, if we can, need to just accept that.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615

This is incorrect, MEO was not a sand box, and many of its features are in LOTRO, because the developments are related.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

LotRO is a pretty good game, I just sort of tired of the quest based, level up and go PVE raid gaming experience.  Did it too many times over the years I guess.

But they treat their players right and always new content being added. (though of course, some folks seem to dislike the changes, but that happens with every game)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

I enjoy the game and have been following it since Sierra was the Dev. Turbine is  a good company

I miss DAoC

• Die_ScreamDie_Scream Member Posts: 1,785

I just came back to LOTRO and wonder why I haven't been playing this game all along. At this point, IMO, it's the most polished, involving, and immersive PvE MMO on the market today. Turbine is a good company, I think they have treated the players well.

At this point, it's a great time to join, the game has so much polished content at this point there are always a million things to do. I can log in, and sit there for a moment just deciding what I want to do.

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

LOTRO is probably the best themepark game out there.

The classes are fun to play, the world is beautiful to look at, it's smooth, solid, and lots of fun.

Personally I just can't do the quest-based themepark thing anymore....but that doesn't mean that LOTRO isn't a masterpiece.

I particularly LOVE the use of blur shaders and coloration to give the player the appropriate mood, depending on the circumstances (such as the "dread" effect).

And the special effects are generally astounding. The first time a bear stood up and roared in my face, I about shit myself.

I wish more developers would put this much attention to detail in their games.

I really enjoyed my time in the game.....in the end I just couldn't "kill 20 more bears", but that's just me.

• DonnieBrascoDonnieBrasco Member Posts: 1,757

Lol, a full thread of only praises... :) basically.

It's funny, that I also just decided to come back (besides playing FE). I like that fact that i can now solo all the early books in Vol1, since I have a few alts, now I can re-live the storyline w/o the annoying wait for PUG's (my kin is mostly playing 60-65 content and PVP these days). So, while this (soloable FS instances) would have been a terrible idea at the start, almost 4 years since the game's launch, it is a clever thing to implement. People should have an easier time to catch up - and they do.

DB

Denial makes one look a lot dumber than he/she actually is.

Originally posted by Wharg0ul

And the special effects are generally astounding. The first time a bear stood up and roared in my face, I about shit myself.

I had a similar reactio when I was fighting some sort of wight/ghould, whatever and it bellowed in my face.

My reaction "no effin way!"

Originally posted by Sovrath

I had a similar reactio when I was fighting some sort of wight/ghould, whatever and it bellowed in my face.

Ah, yeah....the Barrow Weights. My first time through the Downs left me in cold sweats. They really did a great job of giving you a "OMFG we're all gonna die!!!!" feeling....and this before you even fight anything difficult.

Turbine creates such an atmosphere in this game....weather it be dread, or hope, or anything in between, the game really conveys your character's experience to the player. One of the most immersive games I've ever played.

• EthianEthian Member Posts: 1,216

LOTRO is probably the best themepark game out there.
    The classes are fun to play, the world is beautiful to look at, it's smooth, solid, and lots of fun.
    Personally I just can't do the quest-based themepark thing anymore....but that doesn't mean that LOTRO isn't a masterpiece.
    I particularly LOVE the use of blur shaders and coloration to give the player the appropriate mood, depending on the circumstances (such as the "dread" effect).
    I wish more developers would put this much attention to detail in their games.
    I really enjoyed my time in the game.....in the end I just couldn't "kill 20 more bears", but that's just me.

My exact reason for leaving LOTRO. The lack of any sort of meaningfull pvp turned me off after playing it for about 1 year. Also the fact that I'm bored sick of themepark MMOs....especially themepark MMOs with very little to do other then pve such as LOTRO

"I play Tera for the gameplay"

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,079

Middle Earth Online was not a sandbox, it was supposed to be like the Everquest series, but set in Middle Earth.

With that said, I do really like LotRO, as it's a beautiful game with a tremendous amount of polish and content, and Turbine has handled the game beautifully with very frequent huge updates. My only complaint is the character models/animations have always really bothered me. They're very stiff and kind of blocky in motion while the rest of the game is gorgeous and very open and fluid. I am not currently playing the game, but I will be returning (I have a lifetime subscription). I really hope that they make some revamps on player characters one day..

Originally posted by Ethian

My exact reason for leaving LOTRO. The lack of any sort of meaningfull pvp turned me off after playing it for about 1 year. Also the fact that I'm bored sick of themepark MMOs....especially themepark MMOs with very little to do other then pve such as LOTRO

Exactly. If not for the quest grind....and if there had been an "RVR" system in place, where you could choose a faction (something like "People of Middle Earth, Isengard, Mordor") with open PVP, I'd probably still be playing.

Even though I really don't care for class-based systems, I thought that the classes in LOTRO were fune enough and versatile enough so that I could over-look being locked into a "role".

Easily the best of the themepark games though.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    Originally posted by Sovrath

The Grims have some pretty good, "sunuvacrap" moments, as well.

And some of the tactical skills of the Moria Orcs, where they absorb your attacks as healing... THAT makes for a bad day...

• junzo316junzo316 Member UncommonPosts: 1,712

I believe that LotRO is the best PvE MMO experience.  Someone mentioned that all there was to do was PvE.  Well, that entails a lot of activities.  The only thing it really lacks in the way of content, is PvP, and many of the playerbase is OK with that.  People don't play LotRO for PvP.  They play for the story, the great community, the great support (at least for me),  the addition of content on a regular basis, and many other things.

Are there things that could be improved?  Of course.  The character animations, hair should be animated and not pudding style, housing (though I still love they added it to the game), more diversity in armor styles are all things that could be improved in my eyes, but they aren't game-breaking for me.

• Kungaloosh1Kungaloosh1 Member Posts: 260

I am a recent returnee as well. What makes this return different than the others is the fact that i am not roadblocked by the early book quests. Best change to date in my opinion.

I love the little things in the game, always have.

I did the level 20 class quest for minstral last night and laughed silly when the Hobbit i was with got into a fight in an instance over a stolen roast!!! heeeeheeeheeeee

In the end the thief turned nice, the hobbit offered to share the roast and all the other brigands came out of hiding asking for some too!!!