Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

STEAM USERS: YOUR WARNING IS HERE

Comments

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

Ah, OP??? I knew this back when HL2 was released.

Tried to warn ya all back then.

Steam will NEVER, EVER touch my computer. I will NEVER pay for a game by Valve, or use the Steam service (or anything LIKE it).

• charlespaynecharlespayne Member UncommonPosts: 381

Omg you bought a game on steam, played for 12 hrs and now you want your money back.

alot of people take about 12 hrs to complete a game, just remember it has a licence you read before you buy and if your too lasy to read it well it is your own fault.

• KempiKempi Member Posts: 13

OP you played for 12 hours. Lots of games can almost be completed in that time....

I have never had any issues with steam but then I only buy games that I know I will like. And yes steam are in full rights to hold your account if you try a charge back it is still classed as theft no matter how you look at it. As others have said do some research in future like the others here I will never buy a game from ubi with that much unneeded DRM.

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183
    Originally posted by Kempi

OP you played for 12 hours. Lots of games can almost be completed in that time....
    I have never had any issues with steam but then I only buy games that I know I will like. And yes steam are in full rights to hold your account if you try a charge back it is still classed as theft no matter how you look at it. As others have said do some research in future like the others here I will never buy a game from ubi with that much unneeded DRM.

I wouldn't buy a game that could be completed in 12 hours either, for that matter.

• gboostergbooster Member UncommonPosts: 712

I admit it sucks steam will not refund your money, they should have avoided Ubisoft's new DRM games all together. I know I will. Silent Hunter 3, Assassin's Creed 2, and the upcoming Splinter Cell game will all require a constant online connection to play their game.

If they had offered these games at say $25., it might not have been so bad, seeing as you have to have a dedicated internet connection to play them and that also costs money. However, these games are more expensive than the standard $50.00. Assassin's Creed 2 is selling for $60.00 along with requiring the internet connection. So that is quite an expensive game.

On top of this, they have pissed off every hacker in the world, resulting in their servers being under constant attack and legit, paying customers not even being able to play the game after dropping their $60.00 + internet costs. I certainly don't think ubisoft should cave into the pirates like a liberal would to al-quaida.... but this DRM is excessive...

• KempiKempi Member Posts: 13

Originally posted by Wharg0ul

Originally posted by Kempi

I wouldn't buy a game that could be completed in 12 hours either, for that matter.

I dunno some of the $2 indie packs have been well worth it.
  • mickmmickm Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 18
    Originally posted by uohaloran

Bunch of gits, the lot of you.
    The OP is full of sensationalism. I'll bet the OP's account is fully functional as we speak.
    Poster below is right. The fact that you even considered buying a new Ubisoft game with the awful DRM attached to it is more appalling than the fact (according to you, at least) that you have spent $2000 dollars on Steam games alone.
    Besides, it's pretty funny that this post is on an MMORPG forum. You know, the genre where a great deal of the games are "rented" on average of $15 a month- stop paying and it isn't yours. Call it legal fine print or whatever you want, it's in the same vein that Steam's agreements are in.

You should read or learn to comprehend, you are opening your mouth and obvious not even sure what op's point is.. He never stated his account was closed, he said they threatened to suspend his account if he did go through with a chargeback trying to get a refund.

Sounds to me like your a carebears spewing falsilisms, a true antiwhiner, that will lie with deceit and bullshit, for no reason other than some sort of strange brownie points with a company that cares less if you exist or not.. strange people you are.. but whatever, anyone can see through you, dunno why I am here pointing it out?

Originally posted by ghettobooste

I admit it sucks steam will not refund your money, they should have avoided Ubisoft's new DRM games all together. I know I will. Silent Hunter 3, Assassin's Creed 2, and the upcoming Splinter Cell game will all require a constant online connection to play their game.
    If they had offered these games at say $25., it might not have been so bad, seeing as you have to have a dedicated internet connection to play them and that also costs money. However, these games are more expensive than the standard $50.00. Assassin's Creed 2 is selling for $60.00 along with requiring the internet connection. So that is quite an expensive game.
    On top of this, they have pissed off every hacker in the world, resulting in their servers being under constant attack and legit, paying customers not even being able to play the game after dropping their $60.00 + internet costs. I certainly don't think ubisoft should cave into the pirates like a liberal would to al-quaida.... but this DRM is excessive...

yeah, they are basically $29-$39 games, From what I have seen in quality you are actually paying 10-20 dollars more for this piracy feature because you have to pay for the longevity of the servers to track and store your saved games.. In 5 years maybe you wont be playing the game.. but some times i boot up an oldie and this system seems that day will be an impossible dissappointing day.. never will i support it.. go out of business forall we care, we wont miss your lackluster entertainment, that is barely even new or improved.. selling the same crap, SH5 is no better than SH3.. just made it seem like its an open sandbox instead of mission based, its still mission based in a very cheaply created way, that all work was put into marketing and little into the game...

• ryuga81ryuga81 Member UncommonPosts: 351

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/02/17/ubisoft-drm-doesnt-sound-like-such-a-good-idea-anymore?icid=sphere_blogsmith_inpage_joystiq

OP should have really seen it coming (it's last month news)... i'll buy no Ubisoft games for a long time...

• patrikd23patrikd23 Member UncommonPosts: 1,155
    Originally posted by joker007mo

Originally posted by patrikd23

Originally posted by joker007mo

one thing id like to say is that where i dont like having to buy a game to get a freidns list its actually a good idea to do so since its kinda like a free ventrilio

You want a free ventrilo that works better ? Check this one out I bet you will love it MUMBLE and get the 1.2.2 version (stable). Built in overlay included.

good call thanks now maybe i can have steam exited so i can free up cpu lol

Np glad to help, tried it for a few days and I like it alot. And the quality is really nice. Now I can still talk to my friends and say WTF steam down again ?! I

• krakkenkrakken Member Posts: 200

Ever had a billing problem with Steam? Maybe not, It isnt too hard to make purchases, but what if you bought a game and it didnt work and they refuse to give you a refund. This is what happened to me today and this is what I found out.... Steam owns me... and apparently they also own my entire software collection..

i had the same problem with steam.

first everything was ok for years. then i purchased borderlands and i was never able to download the game.

there was allways a message that there where a problem with the payment. but my visa card was charged as allways.

no help or anything  from steam support, after 2 weeks i had to call my lawyer to get my money back

and yes the bill from my lawyer was higher, but i rather pay him 100 bucks before i give steam any money for absolut nothing!

all i can say is:

OP YOU ARE 100% RIGHT. STEAM SUCKS BIG!

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    Originally posted by ponerr

Silent Hunter 5  - UBISOFT
    Most disgusting DRM I ever seen.. Werent they just getting sued over this stuff not long ago.. and here they are getting even worse..
    Company is dead in my eyes.. Can't believe how they have treated me as a customer..... Ubisoft is BANNED IN MY HOUSEHOLD.

First of all

BOYCOTT UBISOFT!!!

Assasin Creed 2 will feature very same DRM. SO beware!

And all future games from Ubiosoft.

You are warned!

As for Steam.

Well thanks for warning.

Its stinky story. And I will think twice now before buying game from steam, if there is any other alternative.

Originally posted by krakken

Ever had a billing problem with Steam? Maybe not, It isnt too hard to make purchases, but what if you bought a game and it didnt work and they refuse to give you a refund. This is what happened to me today and this is what I found out.... Steam owns me... and apparently they also own my entire software collection..

i had the same problem with steam.

first everything was ok for years. then i purchased borderlands and i was never able to download the game.

there was allways a message that there where a problem with the payment. but my visa card was charged as allways.

no help or anything  from steam support, after 2 weeks i had to call my lawyer to get my money back

and yes the bill from my lawyer was higher, but i rather pay him 100 bucks before i give steam any money for abolut nothing!

all i can say is:

OP YOU ARE 100% RIGHT. STEAM SUCKS BIG!

Yup, i now realize i could be in the same boat.. Last week or so, bad company 2 came out.. had it PRE-ORDERED, pre ordered right?

On steam, think I'd get the game when it would be launched, i mean its a pre-order and i was given a release date.

Something happened, i got charged but the game never appeared in my account, some wierd browser error that activates the download just kept erroring.

I couldnt get the thing in my account, i had to contact support

OMG, 2 days of back n forth,t hem telling me my computer was wrong, this bs, that bs, I wanted to play my game.. but i had to submit ticket, wait hours upon hours, then submit another, get some form mail back, then wait another day, until i eventually got a refund 3 days later.. I stupidily purchased the game again and it worked fine.. but what would have happened to me if i never got my refund? If they simply ignored me or something.. I woul dhave charged it back and perhaps LOST MY STEAM ACCOUNT ENTIRELY? It was their systems mistake and i was hung in a loop getting nowhere.. I got lucky last week and did get a refund.. But wow, i'd be in this guys shoes myself.. i totally see his complaint and how they can leverage his account against a chargeback that is rightfully due..

• mrcalhoumrcalhou Member UncommonPosts: 1,444

mickm, you write the same way as the OP, including those annoying random double periods and occasional ellipses. Now, honestly, I love these hate giant corporation threads and I feel for you. I've made ignorant purchases that I regret but I did learn from them, and I'm still alive, so there's that. I think it bollocks that steam has the ability to deny you playing games that you paid for though and I'd probably freak if anything or anyone pulled that card on me. 

--------
    "Chemistry: 'We do stuff in lab that would be a felony in your garage.'"

The most awesomest after school special T-shirt:
    Front: UNO Chemistry Club
    Back: /\OH --> Bad Decisions

• PryettaPryetta Member UncommonPosts: 260

You know, I have yet to have a problem with my Steam account. They helped me when I had a problem with Dragon Age.  I also happen to have Civ III and Civ IV, along with a few other games. Then again, the OPs problem is with Ubisoft not Steam..It is Ubisoft's stupid stupid stupid DRM that is causing the problem not Steam. Also, if I remember correctly, not even a store will take your game back once you open it, unless you really yell at them. I know they exchange a game once it is open for the SAME game.

• uohaloranuohaloran Member Posts: 811

A little foreword before I address more to the OP: I had a friend accidentally purchase The Orange Box thinking he could gift all of the games to a friend (only certain games are allowed to be gifted) and it took him all of a day between emails to get it sorted out. Despite the purchase, and all Steam purchases that I am aware of, explicitly stating that certain games are non-giftable to friends they still honored his request for a refund in full.

I think Valve knows how shady this new Ubisoft DRM is. Hell, Gabe Newell even took a jab towards it at GDC.

The OP claims that Valve is threatening to take away his games. This guy just bought into shitty DRM and now he's lamenting.

"ALL STEAM FEES ARE PAYABLE IN ADVANCE AND ARE NOT REFUNDABLE IN WHOLE OR IN PART." - Steam Subscriber Agreement

Maybe next time you'll research exactly what you're buying into and just maybe you won't get caught in the fire next time. Your qualm is with Ubisoft, not Valve.

Originally posted by uohaloran

A little foreword before I address more to the OP: I had a friend accidentally purchase The Orange Box thinking he could gift all of the games to a friend (only certain games are allowed to be gifted) and it took him all of a day between emails to get it sorted out. Despite the purchase, and all Steam purchases that I am aware of, explicitly stating that certain games are non-giftable to friends they still honored his request for a refund in full.
    I think Valve knows how shady this new Ubisoft DRM is. Hell, Gabe Newell even took a jab towards it at GDC.
    The OP claims that Valve is threatening to take away his games. This guy just bought into shitty DRM and now he's lamenting.
    "ALL STEAM FEES ARE PAYABLE IN ADVANCE AND ARE NOT REFUNDABLE IN WHOLE OR IN PART." - Steam Subscriber Agreement
    Maybe next time you'll research exactly what you're buying into and just maybe you won't get caught in the fire next time. Your qualm is with Ubisoft, not Valve.

heh, store policies do not override the law... they can say whateever they want.. get something you can't use or find annoying.. you get a refund! they are not questioning the refund.. they are saying OP played the game for 12 hour which he didnt, just left his computer running overnight after the game disconnected him and stopped him from playing.. break out all the policies yo want.. dont mean nothing, we are not debating the rules here, we are telling you the fact, if you ever challange or have a problem wiht your purchase at steam, be well advised they will use your entire account against you and your rights for a refund..

There's no other point ot this message of morality or anything..

SIMPLY PUT, you add games to your account, you are giving them leverage to win in the long run..

Best thing to do is NOT have a steam account.. then they cant bully you

• SpellshaperSpellshaper Member UncommonPosts: 419

In retail you CANT return product at all! Most shops will take product back, if its in original box, but the DON'T HAVE TO! For products bought on-line you have 14 days to return it back (unopened and  of course doesn't apply for started services).

If product doesn't work, you have right to apply warranty, but only if its really broken (low end computer doesn't count). If they accept warranty three times, you can get your money back.

-> These are words of law in our country (European Union), it may differ in other countries, but I dont expect it differ too much.

Steam has policy to not refund games if you played for given time. They don't have to refund anything if you just start the game! I don't know if that time differ with type of games, but considering how long it takes to finish latest single player games, that time is very VERY generous. OP was so stupid that he run his game for 12hrs and he is surprised he didnt get a refund??? You can finish WHOLE game in 12hrs!!!!!

I dont comment on Ubisoft DRM as its well known these days (only OP dont knew about that)... 

[mod edit]

• BlackWatchBlackWatch Member UncommonPosts: 972

Not to defend Steam... but if you aren't willing to at least attempt to troubleshoot the issue, then did you really want to play the game to begin with?

• krulerkruler Member UncommonPosts: 589

Im going with Steam on this one......This is more a WTH Ubisoft than anything else.

Plus title was all in caps and that gets my heckles up anyway, plus my other pet hate, didnt trouble shoot just went to rant mode, classic RTFM type situation, well more RTFF in this case.

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

Steam will NEVER, EVER touch my computer. I will NEVER pay for a game by Valve, or use the Steam service (or anything LIKE it).

That's fine. I'll just keep snatching up The Orange Box for $5, and various game bundles that have $350 worth of games for $50. You can keep paying full price for games when you don't have to.

• krakkenkrakken Member Posts: 200
    Originally posted by Xondar123

That's fine. I'll just keep snatching up The Orange Box for $5, and various game bundles that have $350 worth of games for $50. You can keep paying full price for games when you don't have to.

... you will change your mind the day you make the same experience like me.

good luck with steam i learned my lesson .....

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

I think i'll buy the next Splinter cell game on my 360. Thanks for the warning dude. 

[mod edit]

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

I agree, beeing forced to be connected to the internet to be able to play games without a multiplayer mode is annoying.

Yet: I bought Tabula Rasa, without using Tteam. I can't play it anymore. I bought Hellgate London, without using steam: the multiplayer mode doesn't work anymore (because all the servers are gone).

Buying something in a box doesn't guarantee it to be available forever either.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• HeyitschrisHeyitschris Member Posts: 49

Come on! 

Let me answer this to you now so we can /end thread. 

When you baught your game, (from UBISOFT) you should've looked for a message on screen which informs you of the 3. party DRM which is included in the game. 

Steam lets publishers have their DRM in their game and you can read about the 3. party DRM before you buy the game. 

It's not STEAMs fault. It's UBISOFT lame DRM.  This DRM is included in retail also. It's everywhere. 

/end

This discussion has been closed.